THE BROWNS BOARD

New Deal for Hoyer?

gftChris

well right now the ball is in his court, literally. if he signs now, plays like shit or get's hurt again, at least he got the money. if he decides to wait plays like shit or get's hurt he's screwed. then there's the upside.

it's a risk. just wondering if he's got the balls to roll the dice. i'm hoping the guy plays at an all-star level and makes it through the year and then gets what he wants.

there have many that have taken that risk and failed and many that have won. i hope it's the latter.

well right now the ball is in his court, literally. if he signs now, plays like shit or get's hurt again, at least he got the money. if he decides to wait plays like shit or get's hurt he's screwed. then there's the upside.

it's a risk. just wondering if he's got the balls to roll the dice. i'm hoping the guy plays at an all-star level and makes it through the year and then gets what he wants.

there have many that have taken that risk and failed and many that have won. i hope it's the latter.

If he signed a short-ish term contract for a couple of years, and then plays lights out and leads cleveland to the playoffs, there will be no shortage of teams willing to pay him the money after that contract expires. It's if he can wait a couple of years, having taken a reasonable pay bump this year or not.

If I'm him, I sign.

If he signed a short-ish term contract for a couple of years, and then plays lights out and leads cleveland to the playoffs, there will be no shortage of teams willing to pay him the money after that contract expires. It's if he can wait a couple of years, having taken a reasonable pay bump this year or not.

If I'm him, I sign.

Agree with the logic, but I would not sign today. Perhaps not even by opening day...

Browns are trying to sign QB Brian Hoyer to a contract extension, per sources. Hoyer is headed into last year of his deal.

Its a no-brainer to get Hoyer signed. He was just showing glimses of what he could do going underfeated before getting hurt. Im for Hoyer on opening day and maybe beyond, Johnny has plenty of time get up to speed. This is one of the best 1 and 2 quarterback combos we have had in years...

Since this seems to be the closest thing we have to a BH thread...

I found yesterday's report that BH has been organizing pass sessions with WRs Hawkins and Johnson interesting. He also said his knee was 100%.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364864/article/browns-brian-hoyer-im-100-percent-healthy

I thought that was interesting too. Not that he would be working out and throwing to guys, but why those two guys?

I can't help but wonder if some political crap comes about in a situation like this. Two QBs fighting for the job, a bunch of new wideouts to the team, like the perception of a "sides" situation.

Not like a real sides situation, but it stands to reason that whoever gets the nod at QB would have a lot of sway in what receivers make the team, and especially for some of the bubble guys they don't want the perception of picking one guy over the other.

It all works itself out in the end l'm sure, but if you're Joe Schmo undrafted guy, l wonder if you worry about stuff like that. Does that make any sense?

I thought that was interesting too. Not that he would be working out and throwing to guys, but why those two guys?

I'd guess it's as simple as they are in the area and interested in the work.

Any voice BH might have in determining roster spots would be minimal, but syncing up with the QB destined for 1st team reps can't be a bad move.

On another note...

"Jaws" is doing his bottom-to-top, QB ranking of the league's starters on NFL Live. Here are his comments:

"Number 26 on my Quarterback Big Board is Brian Hoyer. I have always liked Hoyer. I believe he can be a quality starter. He has a better arm than many think.

"Hoyer is a comfortable pocket QB. As that touchdown showed he understands Safety rotations and how to manipulate the secondary to take advantage of one-on-one match-ups on the outside. Hoyer plays with a natural sense of rhythm and timing that often can't be taught.

"What he lacks is experience despite being in the league five years. He got the opportunity to start last season leading a come from behind victory on the road. Hoyer followed that with an efficient, mistake-free performance in a dominating win against the Bengals.

"New Head Coach, Mike Pettine, has made it clear it would take a lot to beat out Hoyer. And he's right."

"Jaws" is doing his bottom-to-top, QB ranking of the league's starters on NFL Live. Here are his comments:

"Number 26 on my Quarterback Big Board is Brian Hoyer. I have always liked Hoyer. I believe he can be a quality starter. He has a better arm than many think.

"Hoyer is a comfortable pocket QB. As that touchdown showed he understands Safety rotations and how to manipulate the secondary to take advantage of one-on-one match-ups on the outside. Hoyer plays with a natural sense of rhythm and timing that often can't be taught.

"What he lacks is experience despite being in the league five years. He got the opportunity to start last season leading a come from behind victory on the road. Hoyer followed that with an efficient, mistake-free performance in a dominating win against the Bengals.

"New Head Coach, Mike Pettine, has made it clear it would take a lot to beat out Hoyer. And he's right."

Well, to be fair this is the same guy who was directly quoted as saying Weeden would be a "rock-solid starter in the NFL". He also coincidentally had him at 26 last year.. I

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71973/jaws-qb-countdown-weeden-at-no-26

Well, to be fair this is the same guy who was directly quoted as saying Weeden would be a "rock-solid starter in the NFL". He also coincidentally had him at 26 last year.. I

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/71973/jaws-qb-countdown-weeden-at-no-26

He sure nailed that one........

He sure nailed that one........

You know, Jaws obviously has forgotten more about football than I know. It seems though the guy can't hardly ever say bad things about QB's. The guy rarely, if ever, says someone is just not good. I mean just watching the QB countdown this year he sounds like a father talking to his kids. It's stuff like "Even though Ryan Fitzpatrick throws a million Int's, fumbles all the time, and can't read defenses it doesn't mean he isn't trying out there. I think with a better coach and more starts he could be good." It might just be his personality, but everything he says has a positive spin on it. It just sets him up to look bad.

Well, to be fair this is the same guy who was directly quoted as saying Weeden would be a "rock-solid starter in the NFL". He also coincidentally had him at 26 last year..

Ouch... ;)

You know, Jaws obviously has forgotten more about football than I know. It seems though the guy can't hardly ever say bad things about QB's. The guy rarely, if ever, says someone is just not good.

Agree, his break downs are good, but in the past he has tended to go easy. However, in this year's count-up, he has not sugar-coated his critiques quite as much. Still a long way form brutal, but you can tell he is being critical. So when the only negative he could lay on BH was "inexperience"...

Just laid RG3 in the #21 slot and Bradford in the 22 last nite... In Bradford's case he called 2014 a make or break year.

I think it is posted after the complete list has been broadcast.

Shouldn't be long now as they jumped from 21 and 22 Thursday to 12 and 11 on Friday... not sure what was up with that.

Archived