THE BROWNS BOARD

Brandon Weeden is “outstanding” and “great”

wonder if weeds and bryant are members involved in the OSU controversy being investigated by the ncaa? (not like they did anything wrong.....but)

something about other teams getting screwed by ncaa that brins a smile to my face after what they did to tressel.

You mean what Tressel and the program did to themselves...

I'd love an NCAA with a spine to. That would help keep the SEC in check. I don't see how their punishment of Ohio State could be seen as "harsh" though

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love an NCAA with a spine to. That would help keep the SEC in check. I don't see how their punishment of Ohio State could be seen as "harsh" though

no it wasn't that HARSH. but c'mon man. if it was mich getting some type of 'punishment for your QBs shoelaces being sold on ebay i'm sure you'd have a different take on it.

tressel was a winner. plain and simple. high school>college. i don't get the hate on him. i'm really surprised the guy is not coaching somewhere right now.

i mean he didn't take his mistress out on a bike drunk and show up at a press conference with his face mauled and try to explain it off like his dog scratched him.....

... Everlasting Gobstopper...

First JM and now Cowboys?

Suggested tweak just in case a rename is ever warranted... Everlasting Knobslobber...

NEWSFLASH: A successful offense needs more than one good player. Cowboys offense is far superior over what Weeden had last season with the Browns. Most of his starts were without Gordon in the lineup. Cowboys offensive line has been completely rebuilt. 3 first rounders, all studs. WR core is very strong. Superstar Dez Bryant and up and coming Williams. Clutch Beasley and Special team ace Harris plus 5th rounder Streeter. All pro Jason Witten. Running back Pro Bowler Demarco Murray. I dont know if Weeden will play better but he has more talent around him.

BTW. Ill take Dez Bryant over Josh Gordon. One guy is on his way out of the league, the other is taking over the league.

The best player on Dallas offense is the QB.

Weeden had Gordon all but two starts.

We are comparing Gordon 2013 to Dez Bryant 2014.

Are you the guy that went back and watched all of the Browns 2013 games or are you just pretending to know something about Josh Gordon?

Most explosive season I have seen a WR have since Randy Moss in his prime.

Zombo

NEWSFLASH: A successful offense needs more than one good player. Cowboys offense is far superior over what Weeden had last season with the Browns. Most of his starts were without Gordon in the lineup. Cowboys offensive line has been completely rebuilt. 3 first rounders, all studs. WR core is very strong. Superstar Dez Bryant and up and coming Williams. Clutch Beasley and Special team ace Harris plus 5th rounder Streeter. All pro Jason Witten. Running back Pro Bowler Demarco Murray. I dont know if Weeden will play better but he has more talent around him.

BTW. Ill take Dez Bryant over Josh Gordon. One guy is on his way out of the league, the other is taking over the league.

Brandon Weeden will not play better cause he is awful, the worst QB we had since 1999. Talent can't catch footballs thrown 15 yards too high. Talent can't catch footballs that are thrown directly to the defensive player. Talent can't help the QB when he crumples like an infant when pressure comes. I'm not bashing you personally cause I know you didn't say he would be better, but I absolutely cringe thinking about how awful Weeden is as a professional quarterback

You wouldn't because you are a Michigan dick.

OSU players sold or traded trinkets that they personally owned for a very small amount of money.

My question is this: why is it an NCAA violation for a player (any player on any team...even a fucking Michigan player who would never earn a trinket for beating OSU because they never beat OSU) to sell their own personal belongings? Does this mean that no NCAA player may put anything they own out on a table when their mom holds a yard sale? Or is it because that trinket happened to be given to the kids by the school? Are they obligated to retain possession of those items forever and ever? Or at least until they graduate?

(this is apart and aside from Tressel not snitching on them, which is a whole other matter)

NEWSFLASH: You are clearly a Cowboy homer that has silver and blue dust in his eyes. Gordon was only out two games....I don't recall how many starts Weeden had, but it was a lot more than 2. Cowboys offensive line in no way, to my view, compares to the Browns. The Browns have the ALL Pro Left Tackle, an All Pro Center, and some very good players in a couple of other spots. (However, yes, they did have one very weak spot on the OL.).

Isn't Jason Witten like 100 years old? Jordan Cameron is coming into his own and played as well as many TEs including Witten.

Was Murray really all that? OK, even if he was below average he was better than what the Browns had at RB last year.

But, player for player I would wager a hot fudge Sundae that the Browns offense trumps the Cowboys.

no it wasn't that HARSH. but c'mon man. if it was mich getting some type of 'punishment for your QBs shoelaces being sold on ebay i'm sure you'd have a different take on it.

tressel was a winner. plain and simple. high school>college. i don't get the hate on him. i'm really surprised the guy is not coaching somewhere right now.

You don't get the hate? Woody went to Michigan. And how many times in his career did Tressel beat Michigan and how many times did he lose?There is the hate. Isn't that all you need to know?

i mean he didn't take his mistress out on a bike drunk and show up at a press conference with his face mauled and try to explain it off like his dog scratched him.....

Brandon Weeden will not play better cause he is awful, the worst QB we had since 1999. Talent can't catch footballs thrown 15 yards too high. Talent can't catch footballs that are thrown directly to the defensive player. Talent can't help the QB when he crumples like an infant when pressure comes. I'm not bashing you personally cause I know you didn't say he would be better, but I absolutely cringe thinking about how awful Weeden is as a professional quarterback

And takes too long to go through his progressions.

Did he learn from this gem? Nope, tried it once after that. He had the rare talent for single-handedly losing games for the Browns- all by himself.

Cowboys offensive line is solid across the board. There are no weak spots barring any injuries. Cameron is explosive but he did fizzle later in the season. Jason Witten is the more all around TE. He can block too and always finds a way to get open (why Romo uses him as his safety blanket). Murray is coming off a 1000 yard season with a 5.2 yard per carry average, plus 53 receptions VS Mcgahees 377 yards and 2.7 yard per carry with 8 receptions. Beside Bryant, the Cowboys have a nice complimentary WR core. Browns minus Gordon might have the worst in the league.

Cowboys offense was 5th in scoring last season vs Browns 27th. The Dallas offense also had to carry the leagues worst defense, regardless they still managed an 8-8 record and a chance at the division in the final game. VS Browns had a top 10 defense yet only a 4-12 record. Had the Cowboys switched defenses with the Browns, Dallas would have been a playoff team. Browns would have been lucky to win a single game.

I have been told i am too much of a pessimist, now i am being told i am a homer. I see it how i think it is. I tried to back it up with a few stats.

My point is that the Cowboys....last year may win position battles for their talent at QB and RB.....and would win at WR without Gordon, ....no one was arguing about that (but might argue with it if you include Gordon) but not at TE or OL.

The other thing you have to understand is that the Browns have, unfortunately, been the opposite of that old adage "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". In the Browns case, the whole has been lesser than the sum of its parts in a lot of years.

The bulk of the punishment wasn't cuz they sold their things. It was because Tressel lied to the NCAA and the university didn't assist as much as they could have in the investigation. If Tressel doesn't lie about playing guys he knew were ineligible, you'd get a lighter punishment.

Tressel had a track record of bending/breaking rules at YSU. Then Maurice Clarette. Then this. He's definitely not the saint some in Ohio make him out to be.

The bulk of the punishment wasn't cuz they sold their things. It was because Tressel lied to the NCAA and the university didn't assist as much as they could have in the investigation. If Tressel doesn't lie about playing guys he knew were ineligible, you'd get a lighter punishment.

Tressel had a track record of bending/breaking rules at YSU. Then Maurice Clarette. Then this. He's definitely not the saint some in Ohio make him out to be.

How would you know? You were 10 years old when most of the stuff happened.......

You wouldn't because you are a Michigan dick.

OSU players sold or traded trinkets that they personally owned for a very small amount of money.

My question is this: why is it an NCAA violation for a player (any player on any team...even a fucking Michigan player who would never earn a trinket for beating OSU because they never beat OSU) to sell their own personal belongings? Does this mean that no NCAA player may put anything they own out on a table when their mom holds a yard sale? Or is it because that trinket happened to be given to the kids by the school? Are they obligated to retain possession of those items forever and ever? Or at least until they graduate?

(this is apart and aside from Tressel not snitching on them, which is a whole other matter)

I'm a dick now? Geez.

Tressel "not snitching" was not a "whole other matter." It was a main piece of this case and why they got sanctioned. You can't brush it under the rug. OSU should thank Christ that the punishment was only what it was and Urban fell in their lap.

Also, I don't really agree with that NCAA rule either.

How would you know? You were 10 years old when most of the stuff happened.......

Good thing no one records history. Written word does not exist in any shape or form. I know everything I do now through stories my father learned from his father. Wisdom passed down generation to generation through song

i'm not going to argue with you about college football. believe me there are more important things in life....

the only REAL thing you can say negative about tressel is he got caught. every coach up down north south does whatever they do to recruit whatever player they can.

to think tressel is the only one that ever did it is hilarious. let's talk sec...saban, even our urban meyer in florida, urban meyer...............you know these guys hands aren't clean. you think they never lied to the ncaa? believe me i think the old south has deeper pockets that a team playing in mid ohio. and if you think people don't get paid off in this world, well that's just naive.

don't bust on tressel cuz he coached the buckeyes. he did more for a TON of young men's lives than you or me or the whole lot of us could ever do in a lifetime.

most coaches do.

i'm not going to argue with you about college football. believe me there are more important things in life....

the only REAL thing you can say negative about tressel is he got caught. every coach up down north south does whatever they do to recruit whatever player they can.

to think tressel is the only one that ever did it is hilarious. let's talk sec...saban, even our urban meyer in florida, urban meyer...............you know these guys hands aren't clean. you think they never lied to the ncaa? believe me i think the old south has deeper pockets that a team playing in mid ohio. and if you think people don't get paid off in this world, well that's just naive.

don't bust on tressel cuz he coached the buckeyes. he did more for a TON of young men's lives than you or me or the whole lot of us could ever do in a lifetime.

most coaches do.

Great post,brother!

I never said he wasn't a positive influence

Yes, I know the SEC is dirty as fuck. Everyone knows that. Oversigning, paying players, abusing medical hardships. Cam got paid. Bama players get paid. Ole Miss was obviously paying players. Etc etc etc. We get it. I wish the NCAA grew some balls too.

That is the common response from OSU fans though. Never to deny what Tressel did (after completely missing the point about tatgate) but to say "Well everyone does it!" Yeah, I'm not buying it. J walking isn't murder. Sure, most teams do things the NCAA would frown upon. To what level and to what extent though varies by team. I'm just saying what Tressel did. We know he lied to the NCAA. We heard some pretty interesting things during the Clarette thing. And there are a lot of damning allegations about his time at YSU. Pryor definitely had a nice car too... The dude isn't a saint and I'd say OSU is fortunate enough they only got the punishment they did. Hopefully Urban can have a better track record off the field then he did at UF.

I really want the NCAA to clean things up. I don't want to see teams bending or breaking rules to get an advantage. That ruins it for me. The SECs run should be looked at as tainted in my eyes.

i agree with that.

i just paint him in a better light than you do. from the coaching family tree to what he's done at every program that he's been with is nothing but win.

i don't think his philosophy should come under question. he obviously is/was a great coach. he screwed up. maybe he was naive. but he was a solid leader amongst men.

clarette was a talent that he exploited like every coach from pee wee football to the pros do to talent. you don't think that woody hayes, bo schembechler, nick saban etc. etc. didn't push players to the extreme almost at the risk of physical injury? and when the gas tank is empty move on?

what happened to him though (clarette) was his own doing.

Cowboys offensive line is solid across the board. There are no weak spots barring any injuries. Cameron is explosive but he did fizzle later in the season. Jason Witten is the more all around TE. He can block too and always finds a way to get open (why Romo uses him as his safety blanket). Murray is coming off a 1000 yard season with a 5.2 yard per carry average, plus 53 receptions VS Mcgahees 377 yards and 2.7 yard per carry with 8 receptions. Beside Bryant, the Cowboys have a nice complimentary WR core. Browns minus Gordon might have the worst in the league.

Cowboys offense was 5th in scoring last season vs Browns 27th. The Dallas offense also had to carry the leagues worst defense, regardless they still managed an 8-8 record and a chance at the division in the final game. VS Browns had a top 10 defense yet only a 4-12 record. Had the Cowboys switched defenses with the Browns, Dallas would have been a playoff team. Browns would have been lucky to win a single game.

I have been told i am too much of a pessimist, now i am being told i am a homer. I see it how i think it is. I tried to back it up with a few stats.

Sorry, that reeks of homerism. Thank God the Cowboys played in the NFC Least. Now if you want to talk close losses- the Browns are right with you in that category. With Manning turning into an interception machine, and RGIII playing on a bum knee. Isn't a GM in the NFL that would trade Cameron for Whitten straight up right now.

A lot of the Browns problems on offense were related to shitty quarterback play before and after Hoyer got hurt- starting with your current problem Brandon Weeden. Secondly - to not having an effective running game, that's hopefully been rectified with Ben Tate. Thirdly, to just some plain bad luck- Haden getting beat on a late TD- and by all accounts we should never have lost the NE game on the road.

i agree with that.

i just paint him in a better light than you do. from the coaching family tree to what he's done at every program that he's been with is nothing but win.

i don't think his philosophy should come under question. he obviously is/was a great coach. he screwed up. maybe he was naive. but he was a solid leader amongst men.

clarette was a talent that he exploited like every coach from pee wee football to the pros do to talent. you don't think that woody hayes, bo schembechler, nick saban etc. etc. didn't push players to the extreme almost at the risk of physical injury? and when the gas tank is empty move on?

what happened to him though (clarette) was his own doing.

Yes, like I said I know he did a lot of good for his players. He was a father figure for some. He helped in the community, etc etc etc.

I'm just saying, as far as NCAA rules and some football related stuff goes, he was anything but clean and had a history of bending or breaking rules. His YSU days were covered with this. It carried over to OSU too.

But, ultimately, like I was saying before, the NCAA won't do shit. To any big program. The SEC, Oregon, Miami, UNC, etc. I'd love if they actually enforced their own rules

I suppose your version of a "Saint" is John Cooper.

(It kinda looks like YSU got over whatever it is you think happened there...all things considered.)

I'm a dick now? Geez.

Now, no, just not now....always! :o

Tressel "not snitching" was not a "whole other matter." It was a main piece of this case and why they got sanctioned. You can't brush it under the rug. OSU should thank Christ that the punishment was only what it was and Urban fell in their lap.

Yes, Tressell "not snitching" was the main problem in that case......but it was a "whole other matter".

Also, I don't really agree with that NCAA rule either.

I never said he wasn't a positive influence

Yes, I know the SEC is dirty as fuck. Everyone knows that. Oversigning, paying players, abusing medical hardships. Cam got paid. Bama players get paid. Ole Miss was obviously paying players. Etc etc etc. We get it. I wish the NCAA grew some balls too.

That is the common response from OSU fans though. Never to deny what Tressel did (after completely missing the point about tatgate) but to say "Well everyone does it!" Yeah, I'm not buying it. J walking isn't murder. Sure, most teams do things the NCAA would frown upon. To what level and to what extent though varies by team. I'm just saying what Tressel did. We know he lied to the NCAA. We heard some pretty interesting things during the Clarette thing.

Yes, we heard that Andy Geiger was a dick....and that there was nothing that Tressel could do to help Clarett. Should he have fallen on his sword and resigned over the injustice that the AD did to Clarette? That would be stupid.

And there are a lot of damning allegations about his time at YSU.

Really? I have never heard one fucking thing about allegations during his time at YSU. OSU didn't hear about them when they hired him as HC, YSU didn't hear about them apparently when they hired him as President. You are just pulling shit out of your ass with no proof at all. Here is the one allegation I did hear about Tressell during his time at YSU: he won 4 National Championships at the !-AA level. I guess that is the allegation you are talking about.

Pryor definitely had a nice car too... The dude isn't a saint and I'd say OSU is fortunate enough they only got the punishment they did. Hopefully Urban can have a better track record off the field then he did at UF.

And every single motherfucker playing for Michigan also had a nice car. I come from Barberton, Ohio....same as Bo and a number of Michigan recruits. Trust me, they were given shit. Don't act pollyanna and pretend that the same or worse didn't also happen at UM. At least OSU never had academic fraud allegation of the nature that hit the Fab Five.

I really want the NCAA to clean things up. I don't want to see teams bending or breaking rules to get an advantage. That ruins it for me. The SECs run should be looked at as tainted in my eyes.

Really? I have never heard one fucking thing about allegations during his time at YSU. OSU didn't hear about them when they hired him as HC, YSU didn't hear about them apparently when they hired him as President. You are just pulling shit out of your ass with no proof at all. Here is the one allegation I did hear about Tressell during his time at YSU: he won 4 National Championships at the !-AA level. I guess that is the allegation you are talking about.

And every single motherfucker playing for Michigan also had a nice car. I come from Barberton, Ohio....same as Bo and a number of Michigan recruits. Trust me, they were given shit. Don't act pollyanna and pretend that the same or worse didn't also happen at UM. At least OSU never had academic fraud allegation of the nature that hit the Fab Five.

You really never heard anything about the allegations and sanctions at YSU? Here are two articles that cover it some:

An ESPN article mostly about YSU: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1920867

An SI article about shady Tressel over the years: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/05/30/jim-tressel

There is another really good article out there just about YSU and it goes pretty in depth. I'll let you know if I find it.

So did you just keep your head in the sand or what?

I think my favorite part was OSU holding a celebration for Tressel and the players carrying him out on their shoulders... after he "resigned" and all the allegations came to light.

and again, instead of actually trying to defend Tressel, you just say "everyone does it". Any proof? Terrelle Pryor was seen driving 8 different cars during his time at OSU. Where is something similar to that at all other schools? Not every player comes from nothing, or comes from Barberton. There are probably players on every campus with wealthy families that have nice cars. Pryor though, did not fit in to this category.

I'll see if I can find that other article for you later.

did he just say the Cowboys signed BW for 2 yrs for 1.23M??!!

Wait a second- don't put Steven A Smith's words in my mouth. Yeah- the Browns released Weeden for a reason- because he pretty much sucked.

I would say that at on the high side of 30, Wee-done isn't going to get any better, sitting on the bench watching Romo play.

Archived