THE BROWNS BOARD

Brock Osweiler

TheClevelandSound

I know his mechanics are off and whatnot, but his size is too important to look past. I am sick of the Browns having undersized QB's, and this guy has good enough skills to be drafted late in the 1st round, according to Todd McShay. His fundamentals can be tweeked but I am quite high on this guy. What does everyone think?

124410783_crop_650x440.jpg?1316029993

Specs:

Height: 6 ft. 8 inches

Weight: 240 lbs

I know his mechanics are off and whatnot, but his size is too important to look past. I am sick of the Browns having undersized QB's, and this guy has good enough skills to be drafted late in the 1st round, according to Todd McShay. His fundamentals can be tweeked but I am quite high on this guy. What does everyone think?

124410783_crop_650x440.jpg?1316029993

Specs:

Height: 6 ft. 8 inches

Weight: 240 lbs

Not in the first round. He seems to be a little bit of a project. I would much rather have a stud defensive player that is ready to contribute then another project QB.

I wouldn't be opposed to him late in the draft though. I would roll the dice on anyone with top self upside late.

This guy eerily reminds me of Derek Anderson. I'm not going to really say much cause I haven't looked into his highlights and throwing motion etc, but it seems to me like people are enamored with his size alone. That's a clear advantage sure but I think Derek showed its not enough to be good.

Funny how everybody hates the only quarterback that gave us a winning season in recent memory.

I could've cared less if he was the last QB to win here he fucking sucked, he was a jackass and still is, use the same statement for Lebron he gave us winning seasons that doesnt mean i like him for those years he can still kiss my ass same for D.A tho Bron was extreme of the latter two.

I could've cared less if he was the last QB to win here he fucking sucked, he was a jackass and still is, use the same statement for Lebron he gave us winning seasons that doesnt mean i like him for those years he can still kiss my ass same for D.A tho Bron was extreme of the latter two.

How can you put DA and LeBron in the same category? Nobody can touch LeBron when it comes to douchebaggery.

Funny how everybody hates the only quarterback that gave us a winning season in recent memory.

I think the resentment is over the fact that we felt that he should have continued to play at the level that he showed in that one season. But he didn't. He choked up a furball for the rest of his time here (and for the rest of his career), yet his potential seemed so high.

It pisses people off when players underachieve so badly.

The same sentiment exist toward Braylon, and maybe a little against K2.

We felt they should have played at 2007 level for the next 3-4 years. But they sucked big time.

I think the resentment is over the fact that we felt that he should have continued to play at the level that he showed in that one season. But he didn't. He choked up a furball for the rest of his time here (and for the rest of his career), yet his potential seemed so high.

It pisses people off when players underachieve so badly.

The same sentiment exist toward Braylon, and maybe a little against K2.

We felt they should have played at 2007 level for the next 3-4 years. But they sucked big time.

To be fair, it's not like we drafted DA in the first round and he had all this hype, then came in and totally shit the bed. He was a 6th round draft choice that we got off of someone else's waiver wire. I mean, what are the expectations for a 6th round quarterback NOT named Tom Brady? We got one winning season out of a 6th rounder, I would say that was bonus. We drafted McCoy in the 3rd, and we are getting whats expected out of a 3rd round guy. We got more out of DA than we got out of McCoy so far.

DA, commonly called "dumbass bigfoot"....

didn't care about football, and wasn't too smart.

Big arm, who cares. Had a good year going, then sucked

and blew big losses by throwing ints under pressure in the playoff game?

And was laughing on the sidelines?

He was a loser, and not smart enough to beat out any qb that BALTIMORE had on their roster?

I don't know anything about Osweiler, but the DA comparison might be valid.

Okay people this isn't a thread about Derek Anderson. Stay on topic.

And watch film of Osweiler. His style is completely different to Derek Anderson, both in college and pro.

Todd McShay and Mel Kiper said on SportsCenter this morning that Osweiler is projected late first round. Thats where I got the speculation.

Whoever drafts him is gonna have to call him B.O....lol.

Okay people this isn't a thread about Derek Anderson. Stay on topic.

And watch film of Osweiler. His style is completely different to Derek Anderson, both in college and pro.

Todd McShay and Mel Kiper said on SportsCenter this morning that Osweiler is projected late first round. Thats where I got the speculation.

Whoever drafts him is gonna have to call him B.O....lol.

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

Height: 6-8. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Projected Round (2012): 4-5

1/9/12: Osweiler is big-armed pocket passer who has surprising mobility. The former basketball player has good athletic ability for being so tall. Looking at him, one would think he would be a statue in the pocket, but that is definitely not the case. As a junior this year, Osweiler completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,036 yards with 26 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and three touchdowns. Osweiler set the school record for yards, completions and attempts. In 2010, he had only two starts, but played well throwing for 797 yards and five touchdowns with zero interceptions. He also ran for 168 yards and a score.

Osweiler has real arm strength and the gun to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. He is very raw and needs some work. If Osweiler goes to a good coaching staff that can develop him for a few years, he could turn into something. It wouldn't be surprising if Osweiler's stock rises during the lead up to the draft. He should have stayed in school and improved before going pro.

PS Heard Kiper & McShay in the PM edition, and said his mechanics are a mess.

First question... what's his football IQ?

I don't care if he's 6'6", if he's a football dunce, any pick would be a waste... On the other hand you might be able to convert him to TE... :D

As for DA... he was a dunce. Got away with being a first read wonder for one-year, then it was all downhill.

To be fair, it's not like we drafted DA in the first round and he had all this hype, then came in and totally shit the bed. He was a 6th round draft choice that we got off of someone else's waiver wire. I mean, what are the expectations for a 6th round quarterback NOT named Tom Brady? We got one winning season out of a 6th rounder, I would say that was bonus. We drafted McCoy in the 3rd, and we are getting whats expected out of a 3rd round guy. We got more out of DA than we got out of McCoy so far.

My 2 cents why people dislike DA is the reality that he was only good for about 8 games in 2007. Once the league figured out he couldn't hit anything but the deep passes, or read a D to save his live, they started playing cover 3 on him and he was done. Even with all that CLE then over paid him, rather than moving him when his stock was higher than his actual ability. I guess in the end fans should be more upset with that management than DA.

After the year he had in 2007, we expected Tom Brady....or at least the 2007 version of DA.

First question... what's his football IQ?

I don't care if he's 6'6", if he's a football dunce, any pick would be a waste... On the other hand you might be able to convert him to TE... :D

As for DA... he was a dunce. Got away with being a first read wonder for one-year, then it was all downhill.

Actually, he is 6'8". Can you say "Dan McGwire"?

Hmmm... He only threw 13 INTs last year, huh?

So why would the Browns draft him late in the 1st when they could do what's necessary to get the guy at the top of the draft who threw 17 picks in his entire three year playing career?

Sometimes we Browns fans like to complicate matters. I refuse to accept it this year. Draft RGIII.

Hmmm... He only threw 13 INTs last year, huh?

So why would the Browns draft him late in the 1st when they could do what's necessary to get the guy at the top of the draft who threw 17 picks in his entire three year playing career?

Sometimes we Browns fans like to complicate matters. I refuse to accept it this year. Draft RGIII.

I didn't realize you ran the Cleveland Browns.

My 2 cents why people dislike DA is the reality that he was only good for about 8 games in 2007. Once the league figured out he couldn't hit anything but the deep passes, or read a D to save his live, they started playing cover 3 on him and he was done. Even with all that CLE then over paid him, rather than moving him when his stock was higher than his actual ability. I guess in the end fans should be more upset with that management than DA.

Thank you, that's how I feel. Sorry to the OP, I didn't mean to derail the thread, but I think that needed to be pointed out. I am not defending DA, I just think he receives more criticism than he should. I mean, didn't people cheer when he was lying on the field injured? That's a little too harsh. And certainly doesn't deserve to be put in the same category as Lebron as one poster suggested. (edit) Don't get me wrong, I was screaming at my TV as much as the next person watching throw some of those INT's, I still think fans were too hard on him. Not having enough talent to live up to expections, and pulling the heart out of Cleveland fans , are two totally different things.

Anderson was a 6th round waiver wire refugee who had a nice season and brought some smiles around here, then crashed to earth.

Quinn is the one Browns fans should "hate", if anyone. He cost us a ransom and gave us nothing.

I wasn't surprised that Chud went out and got DA to back up Newton in Carolina.

I also wasn't surprised that Quinn couldn't beat out a fullback to play quarterback in Denver.

As for Brock Ostrich ...only saw him play once, wasn't particularly impressed, but that doesn't mean anything ... but that's almost too tall for a QB isn't it? Gives pass rushers quite a target without adding any real advantage to seeing the field, imo.

Zombo

Anderson was a 6th round waiver wire refugee who had a nice season and brought some smiles around here, then crashed to earth.

Quinn is the one Browns fans should "hate", if anyone. He cost us a ransom and gave us nothing.

I wasn't surprised that Chud went out and got DA to back up Newton in Carolina.

I also wasn't surprised that Quinn couldn't beat out a fullback to play quarterback in Denver.

As for Brock Ostrich ...only saw him play once, wasn't particularly impressed, but that doesn't mean anything ... but that's almost too tall for a QB isn't it? Gives pass rushers quite a target without adding any real advantage to seeing the field, imo.

Zombo

If height does not give a QB an advantage in seeing the field, then why are NFL people always looking for taller QBs? And why would some argue that lack of height is a detriment to a QB seeing the field?

I mean, that attitude kept Doug Flutie out of the NFL for years...when clearly he showed he belonged in the NFL once he got here.

If height does not give a QB an advantage in seeing the field, then why are NFL people always looking for taller QBs? And why would some argue that lack of height is a detriment to a QB seeing the field?

I mean, that attitude kept Doug Flutie out of the NFL for years...when clearly he showed he belonged in the NFL once he got here.

I'm saying the difference between 6'6" and 6'8" is not probably much of a competitive advantage because there aren't too many lineman taller than 6'6". But you sure are a big target back there for a lineman spinning around ... I think Ben takes a lot of sacks because of his size. This guy better have a quick release or he's going to get a pounding. He may be "mobile", but I doubt he's "elusive".

Zombo

I'm saying the difference between 6'6" and 6'8" is not probably much of a competitive advantage because there aren't too many lineman taller than 6'6". But you sure are a big target back there for a lineman spinning around ... I think Ben takes a lot of sacks because of his size. This guy better have a quick release or he's going to get a pounding. He may be "mobile", but I doubt he's "elusive".

Zombo

Sure, as long as he can move in the pocket to avoid the rush like BR or Brady or Manning, fine. He doesn't have to be Cam Newton or Michael Vick or Tim Tebow.

As long as he can do that I would think his height would be an advantage against those 6'6" defensive linemen. In theory.

Archived