THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Going to be a Good Season

One Post

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm feeling it a bit too, although I'm thinking we'll chase 8-8 for most of the year before we fall a little short and surprise everyone with a 7-9 season, full of competitive games with a few upset wins, as well as a few heart breaking losses.

I've seen it before...

Being an avid Cards fan I'll tell you what's up.

We sucked for the longest time dudes. You know this but I've lived your pain. We brought in Denny Green, had some good drafts and then brought in Warner. At the time the fans scoffed and complained about bringing in a vet qb with a bent thumb. We started winning.

We drafted a wr in the first rd. the fans didn't like it he was Denny's boy from Minn. he couldn't get any separation they said. We started winning.

Of course Denny was fired and Whizenhunt took over. Whiz inherited a winning team no one knew we had and took us to the Super Bowl.

There are many of the same things happening here that I've seen before and sometimes it takes a non bias view to point out some things. Youre building something here don't dismiss by the past mistakes.

It's difficult to get really excited about a new season,,,especially after dealing with the disappointment of this team underachieving every year. The draft seems like it went well, and to hear the players talk....well...there is a lot of optimism coming from them. We've seen this movie before. However....there is a difference this time. I have never seen a HC come in with the confidence, honesty, and blatant straightforwardness that Hue Jackson exudes. I'm not predicting 10 - 6 for 2016, but I am betting the players we keep will give everything they have, and I can't expect more than that. Hue will get the most out of every player on this team...and I haven't seen that since Marty.

I'm not knocking your Cleveland Pick; but, you might want to look back to how well the Bengals were doing without Hue Jackson as their OC. The Bengals are not even going to look like the same team and they will not take the division.

You may be right there but I'll be damned if I pick the Stoolers first. :)

I've seen it before...

Being an avid Cards fan I'll tell you what's up.

We sucked for the longest time dudes. You know this but I've lived your pain. We brought in Denny Green, had some good drafts and then brought in Warner. At the time the fans scoffed and complained about bringing in a vet qb with a bent thumb. We started winning.

We drafted a wr in the first rd. the fans didn't like it he was Denny's boy from Minn. he couldn't get any separation they said. We started winning.

Of course Denny was fired and Whizenhunt took over. Whiz inherited a winning team no one knew we had and took us to the Super Bowl.

There are many of the same things happening here that I've seen before and sometimes it takes a non bias view to point out some things. Youre building something here don't dismiss by the past mistakes.

Who did you lose to in the Super Bowl?

Lol...a Cards fan. You're only here because it's the one place you could find that hates dem "Squeelers" as much as you do. Woe is you, birds of a feather, misery loves company..whatever idiom you'd like to use.

What really musta put you over the edge was when the Steelers stomped your birds last year with Landry freakin Jones at the helm.

Carson Palmer isn't taking you to a Super Bowl son...in fact I'd put my money on the Browns reaching your prediction of 10-6, before a Carson Palmer led team reaches a Super Bowl.

A more realistic prediction.

Steelers 10-6

Bungals 10-6

Rats 9-7

Browns 8-8

There is no way the browns will lose as many as they did last year...there were games they should have won like the Cardinals.

I like the predictions, but why not back it up a little bit with WHY you think that? Granted, there is a TON of negativity going around the world with regards to our beloved franchise, and rightfully so, but the NFL is a strange beast. Teams that nobody thought had a chance in hell to be good are sometimes GOOD. It happens just about every year, maybe every other year, but it's not like the same teams are ALWAYS in the playoffs. Are there a few staples in the league that seem to be good every year? Certainly, but there are exceptions too.

Not to hijack the thread, but perhaps it could be titled, "The Browns will win 10 games IF...."

1. First and foremost, if RG III turns back the clock and becomes the player many projected him to be. He had an amazing rookie season, played DECENTLY at times the next, and has rare physical gifts (despite the numerous injuries). Can Hue Jackson mold this guy? Can he make the offense fit his skill set and mental capabilities (whatever they are, he appears to be a very smart guy, but the consistent knock I keep reading is his ability to read defenses and scan the field). What can Hue Jackson get out of this guy? If it's a productive starter, we can win some games.

2. We stop the run. Yes, our age-old nemesis. Stopping the run, forcing some 3rd and longs, and really buckling down against the constant barrage of running attacks that killed us in the past.

3. Get to the QB! How frustrating was it last year to be near the bottom of the league in sacks? If not for a random game or two when our defense busted out with like 7 or 8 sacks (Titans game), we could've been much worse. We need some consistency. Last year it seemed like WHENEVER we blitzed, we got torched. We'd send a blitz in, he'd get completely swallowed up, and we'd give up the 3rd down. It was bad. Ray likes to blitz, hopefully we can GET THERE.

4. Force turnovers. This is the biggest stat in the NFL, and we win this one...we win some games.

5. Our wide receivers step up and make plays, more specifically, one of our new guys STEPS UP.

6. Special teams makes a big rebound from a subpar performance last year. Some areas were ok, but let's be honest...we gave up punt returns, blocked FG's, and we couldn't kick a long FG to save our life. There will be times when the kicker MUST make a 52 yard FG to win the game or force overtime, and it could mean the difference between winning or losing at least 2 games.

I could go on and on, but I want to leave some for other people in case there's interest. Much has to happen for us to even be COMPETITIVE, let alone WIN some games. But maybe...just maybe we have the right coach in town. We won't be running a "country club" practice environment like last year. It's going to be tough sledding from what I read. We weren't tough enough last year, and it really showed (at least to me).

Who did you lose to in the Super Bowl?Lol...a Cards fan. You're only here because it's the one place you could find that hates dem "Squeelers" as much as you do. Woe is you, birds of a feather, misery loves company..whatever idiom you'd like to use.What really musta put you over the edge was when the Steelers stomped your birds last year with Landry freakin Jones at the helm.The Browns should have beaten your ass last season, and Carson Palmer isn't taking you to a Super Bowl son...in fact I'd put my money on the Browns reaching your prediction of 10-6, before a Carson Palmer led team reaches a Super Bowl.A more realistic prediction.Bungles 10-6Steelers 10-6Rats 9-7Browns 8-8There is no way the browns will lose as many as they did last year...there were games they should have won like the Cardinals.

The Cards lost to the Steelers because they couldn't punch it in the red zone. They moved the ball on your great defense the whole game. The Cards did learn something from that game they went on to a 13-3 record last season. As for Palmer, it just proves that if a head coach will put a qb in the right situation he can succeed.

The Cards are an early Super Bowl favorite so eat my dick snacks.

I predict...

Bengals 12-5

Browns. 10-6

Stealers. 8-8

Ravens 5-11

Browns get wild card and play NE for the Championship. It's going to happen.

Hue Jackson took a Raiders team that many said had the worst roster in the league to an 8-8 record. I think that's the ceiling for the Browns this year and would be happy with that.

I like the predictions, but why not back it up a little bit with WHY you think that? Granted, there is a TON of negativity going around the world with regards to our beloved franchise, and rightfully so, but the NFL is a strange beast. Teams that nobody thought had a chance in hell to be good are sometimes GOOD. It happens just about every year, maybe every other year, but it's not like the same teams are ALWAYS in the playoffs. Are there a few staples in the league that seem to be good every year? Certainly, but there are exceptions too.

Not to hijack the thread, but perhaps it could be titled, "The Browns will win 10 games IF...."

1. First and foremost, if RG III turns back the clock and becomes the player many projected him to be. He had an amazing rookie season, played DECENTLY at times the next, and has rare physical gifts (despite the numerous injuries). Can Hue Jackson mold this guy? Can he make the offense fit his skill set and mental capabilities (whatever they are, he appears to be a very smart guy, but the consistent knock I keep reading is his ability to read defenses and scan the field). What can Hue Jackson get out of this guy? If it's a productive starter, we can win some games.

2. We stop the run. Yes, our age-old nemesis. Stopping the run, forcing some 3rd and longs, and really buckling down against the constant barrage of running attacks that killed us in the past.

3. Get to the QB! How frustrating was it last year to be near the bottom of the league in sacks? If not for a random game or two when our defense busted out with like 7 or 8 sacks (Titans game), we could've been much worse. We need some consistency. Last year it seemed like WHENEVER we blitzed, we got torched. We'd send a blitz in, he'd get completely swallowed up, and we'd give up the 3rd down. It was bad. Ray likes to blitz, hopefully we can GET THERE.

4. Force turnovers. This is the biggest stat in the NFL, and we win this one...we win some games.

5. Our wide receivers step up and make plays, more specifically, one of our new guys STEPS UP.

6. Special teams makes a big rebound from a subpar performance last year. Some areas were ok, but let's be honest...we gave up punt returns, blocked FG's, and we couldn't kick a long FG to save our life. There will be times when the kicker MUST make a 52 yard FG to win the game or force overtime, and it could mean the difference between winning or losing at least 2 games.

I could go on and on, but I want to leave some for other people in case there's interest. Much has to happen for us to even be COMPETITIVE, let alone WIN some games. But maybe...just maybe we have the right coach in town. We won't be running a "country club" practice environment like last year. It's going to be tough sledding from what I read. We weren't tough enough last year, and it really showed (at least to me).

I will post tonite. Gotta run and I should've spent more time on the post this morning.

Usually these types of predictions of winning seasons for perennially bottom of the barrel teams take place in August. So by that time I predict we will hear rumors of Superbowl contenders.

6 games won would be a real stretch with this big a turnover in a team that shared the bottom with one other. 3-5 wins would be about right and have us in the running for first to draft.

Reminds me of an old joke I can adapt for Browns fans. An old Browns fan died and went to hell. Devil saw him over in a corner with a smile on his face so inquired why he seemed happy in hell. The old Browns fan told him that since it was so hot this could only mean one thing, that it was summer in Berea and football season was just around the corner. Devil went over to his thermostat and cranked it up to "blazing hot", looked over at the old Browns fan who then had a huge grin on his face. Again the Devil asked what he was grinning about and again the old Browns fan indicated it could mean only one thing, that it was late August in Berea and kickoff had to be just days away for his beloved Browns. Now this really pissed off the Devil so he went over to his trusty thermostat and ran it down to absolute zero on the Kelvin scale. Again he looked over at the old Browns fan who had the biggest smile the Devil had ever seen frozen on his face. In frustration the Devil again asked him why he was so happy. The old Browns fan, by then pretty blue from the cold said, "This can only mean one thing, the Browns have finally won the Superbowl." :lol: :lol:

Who did you lose to in the Super Bowl?

Lol...a Cards fan. You're only here because it's the one place you could find that hates dem "Squeelers" as much as you do. Woe is you, birds of a feather, misery loves company..whatever idiom you'd like to use.

What really musta put you over the edge was when the Steelers stomped your birds last year with Landry freakin Jones at the helm.

Carson Palmer isn't taking you to a Super Bowl son...in fact I'd put my money on the Browns reaching your prediction of 10-6, before a Carson Palmer led team reaches a Super Bowl.

A more realistic prediction.

Steelers 10-6

Bungals 10-6

Rats 9-7

Browns 8-8

There is no way the browns will lose as many as they did last year...there were games they should have won like the Cardinals.

I doubt the Brown go 8-8 though. Ravens will have another losing record. Bengals will still win the division. Steelers more like 9-7.

Ravens and Steelers both will be dependent on injuries, again. Bengals aren't likely to have a better record than last year, for the loss of their stable of #2 receivers and Jackson.

I'm not knocking your Cleveland Pick; but, you might want to look back to how well the Bengals were doing without Hue Jackson as their OC.

They were doing pretty well BEFORE Jackson came back as a running back coach. 2011 and 2012 with Gruden as Offensive Coordinator, Bengals and Dalton were 60.2% passing, 47 TDs, 29 Int, 83.9 QB rating. Looks like the Bengals offense did just fine before the QB whisperer was re-hired by Mike Brown. I like Jackson but this whisperer shit...... rotflmmfao !

They were doing pretty well BEFORE Jackson came back as a running back coach. 2011 and 2012 with Gruden as Offensive Coordinator, Bengals and Dalton were 60.2% passing, 47 TDs, 29 Int, 83.9 QB rating. Looks like the Bengals offense did just fine before the QB whisperer was re-hired by Mike Brown. I like Jackson but this whisperer shit...... rotflmmfao !

And in 2014-15, Dalton was 564-867 (65%), with 44 TDs to 24 INTs, and a QB rating of 93.6, while missing 3 games (extrapolate to 54 TDs, 29 INTs).

But I'm sure your point is valid, don't worry. Also, Jackson was RB coach in 2012-13. So the proper comparison numbers are: 692-1114 (62%), 60 TDs, 36 INTs, and a passer rating around 88.

Could be Dalton growing, could be the O taking a lot of pressure off of him by leaning on a running game (Hill/Bernard), could be many things. But a large number of those things come down to the coaching, and I'm pretty sure it's not Marvin Lewis' work.

Why set yourself up for disappointment? Just enjoy watching the young team grow and look forward to 2018.

Yeah- rookies at a bunch of positions, the secondary is real suspect- even if Haden comes back healthy. New coaching system. Questions about RG III, I could go on. Me and the Ghoolster are setting the bar real low- like three wins.

In any other situation in sports id say why shit in someones cheerios....but this is cleveland. The reason why i loathe these unrealistic offseason prognostications is that it sets up unrealistic expectations. If on the other hand you inderstand that they may very well go 3-13....than fine. But if ur gonna be pissed off and hold the players and staff accountable to ur bullshit expectations.....than ur part of the problem.

Teams that turn it around in a year or two usually have pieces in place, or get very lucky - like the chiefs had Houstin & Hali, and Charles on O. The Colts lucked in to Luck. The raiders and jags have put together 2-3 very solid drafts in recent years, and both still had a losing record in 2015. Maybe this year they get above .500, but equally maybe not.

But a large number of those things come down to the coaching, and I'm pretty sure it's not Marvin Lewis' work.

This point I am defenseless against.The fact that Dalton had Gruden, Hugh,Ken Zampese (13 yr QB coach) as coaches at ONE TIME had more to do with it than Lewis. Zampese is now OC.

There is little basis to project any team's 2016 record at this point... and there is far less of one to project ours.

I agree with gftChris on Bengals thoughts. Think Hue & loss of WR's will hurt Dalton, but that damn D is something else. Shitsburgs drafting continues to suck but Ben won't break. I really thought what Ravens did thru FA & draft can make them better. With Browns it's always the same question. Did we actually fill in a hole with a NFL starter or our we still filling that same hole & stunting our own growth? Still sitting on 4-5 wins maybe..

YES asshole EXACTLY............................... so instead of putting pieces in place........................ the Browns put shit in place and took no top players.

Idiot.

Tom Tom. please check the vitriol at the door. Just because they didn't play for Memphis- and YOU never heard of them- doesn't mean the rest of the NFL hadn't. Coleman won the the Billetinkof Award as the best WR in college football. Ogbah and Nassib won their fair share too on the defensive end.

FWIW, the first pick I questioned was Kessler at the bottom of the third round- and at that point- it's a crap shoot.

Archived