THE BROWNS BOARD

Taylor Becoming A Disappointment With The 1St Pick

Soju

Sheard is looking to be a first round talent, but Taylor is leaving something to be desired.

His name rarely gets called, he's constantly back around the line of scrimmage (with one guy on him), he rarely gets to the QB, and given our run defense this year, he hasn't stopped jack.

He's looking like Big Baby the 2nd.

He has underachieved as far as I'm concerned with the 1st overall pick from the Browns.

Thank God we have something in Sheard.

Sheard is looking to be a first round talent, but Taylor is leaving something to be desired.

His name rarely gets called, he's constantly back around the line of scrimmage (with one guy on him), he rarely gets to the QB, and given our run defense this year, he hasn't stopped jack.

He has underachieved as far as I'm concerned with the 1st overall pick from the Browns.

Aren't you the guy who is pleased as punch that the team lost yesterday, thus, helping their draft position?

Some folks really don't get it.

No way Soju.

While opinions paint convenient pictures, numbers tell the story.

From nfl.com:

Jabaal Sheard CLE DE Tackles 48 Sacks 7.5

Phillip Taylor CLE DT Tackles 52 Sacks 4.0

They were both fine picks. Mitchell is the obvious weak link.

Big Phil also takes up double-teams, freeing Sheard and LBs to make plays. He is 6th on the team in tackles!

I wish people would stop posting on here that have little football knowledge you are making the rest of us look bad. They were both good picks. The only reason they are not going to the Pro Bowl this year is because they play for Cleveland.

Let me elaborate:

2010 DT Pro Bowl Selections:

AFC: Haloti Ngata, 63 Tackles 5.5 Sacks

Vince Wilfork, 57 Tackles 2.0 Sacks

NFC: Darnell Dockett, 52 Tackles 5.0 Sacks

Jay Ratiff, 31 Tackles 3.5 Sacks

2010 DE Pro Bowl selections:

AFC: Mario Williams, 28 Tackles 8.5 Sacks

Kyle Vanden Bosch, 49 Tackles 4.0 Sacks

NFC: Jared Allen, 60 Tackles 11 Sacks (freak)

Julius Peppers, 54 Tackles 8 Sacks (freak)

Really, how come Taylor has the same/or equal stats through 14 games than 3 of the 2010 Pro Bowl starters? Please stop.

No way Soju.

From nfl.com:

Big Phil also takes up double-teams, freeing Sheard and LBs to make plays. He is 6th on the team in tackles!

Exactly- Taylor is frequently being double teamed, which wouldn't be the case if the guy sucked-like Courtney Brown.

I wish people would stop posting on here that have little football knowledge you are making the rest of us look bad. They were both good picks. The only reason they are not going to the Pro Bowl this year is because they play for Cleveland.

Let me elaborate:

So, when are you leaving?

No way Soju.

From nfl.com:

Very interesting but you don't judge DTs by stats

Taylor is actually having a stellar season for a rookie nose tackle. Ppl look at the stats and can tell he's having a pretty good season but looking at stats alone won't tell the whole story.

Taylor does take on blockers...he can rush the QB.....and he's without a doubt the best defensive lineman the browns have this year.

The op is exactly right in the sense that he might be big baby jr. Shaun Rogers was great for the browns and lions...now Taylor looks like he's playing very similarly

Taylor is doing fine for a rookie and he is still learning the ropes, taylor just like any other lineman is going to have off days or just get completely dominated by another player from time to time so i think its to early to say anything but good things about this kid..

This defense needs a real FS, a healthy ward, a CB to replace an aging brown and 2 OLBs that can shed blocks and get to the ball without getting pancaked or blocked out by a 200 lb WR in the process..

Very interesting but you don't judge DTs by stats

What do you judge them by then (serious question)? I don't see any measurements/criterion in your response. I mention double-teams and list tackles and sack numbers.

Taylor does take on blockers...he can rush the QB.....and he's without a doubt the best defensive lineman the browns have this year.

Rubin is our best lineman this year, that much is clear.

And...Rubin's stats are better:

Ahtyba Rubin CLE DT Tackles 67 Sacks 3.0

Run D requires the entire front 7/8 working together to stick all the gaps. Taylor is a beast, and he is a great big part of the reason the Browns D is as good as it is. Yes, they still get run on occasionally - because the Browns have one of the worst LB groups in the league. No single player is going to shut down a run game.. the Lions have Suh and they still get run on.

Taylor is more than meeting expectations.. he's a big part of the Browns moving forward.

Calling it here first: A Browns DL will make the Pro Bowl after next season.

Taylor is doing fine for a rookie and he is still learning the ropes, taylor just like any other lineman is going to have off days or just get completely dominated by another player from time to time so i think its to early to say anything but good things about this kid..

This defense needs a real FS, a healthy ward, a CB to replace an aging brown and 2 OLBs that can shed blocks and get to the ball without getting pancaked or blocked out by a 200 lb WR in the process..

As we used to say back in the 60s: Right On, Brother.

Kinda being a disappointment we passed on a multi year all star for this fat slob

Let me elaborate:

Thanks for an insightful post. The amount of negativity and lack of football knowledge on these boards is getting frustrating. I remember when there used to be logical discussion in this forum.

Kinda being a disappointment we passed on a multi year all star for this fat slob

And who might that have been? Anthony Costanzo? Danny Watkins? Cameron Jordan? (or is it Jordan Cameron?) James Carpenter? Karen Carpenter? Jonathon Baldwin? Jonathon Livingston Seagull? Gabe Carimi? Gabe Kaplan? Cameron Heyward? (or is it Heyward Cameron?) Ras-I-Dowling? Brian Dowling? Ras -al-Ghul? Derrick Sherrod? Sherrod Brown?

Muhammed Wilkerson? Wilkerson Sword Blade?

I Completely DIS-agree.

Taylor was an excellent pick and is doing what is expected.

Sometimes it's not the guy whose name is called who "made" the play. Taylor is being effective.

Well said. He's eating blocks and creating pressure that allows Sheard to get to the quarterback. If you don't remember guys they play on the same side of the line.

Thanks for an insightful post. The amount of negativity and lack of football knowledge on these boards is getting frustrating. I remember when there used to be logical discussion in this forum.

Not to mention Sheard adds 5 forced fumbles which leads the league to those 7.5 sacks. He should finish 2nd in defensive rookie of the year voting behind Von Miller, also a freak.

Run D requires the entire front 7/8 working together to stick all the gaps. Taylor is a beast, and he is a great big part of the reason the Browns D is as good as it is. Yes, they still get run on occasionally - because the Browns have one of the worst LB groups in the league. No single player is going to shut down a run game.. the Lions have Suh and they still get run on.

Taylor is more than meeting expectations.. he's a big part of the Browns moving forward.

Calling it here first: A Browns DL will make the Pro Bowl after next season.

J.S might goto the probowl this year bro.

What do you judge them by then (serious question)? I don't see any measurements/criterion in your response. I mention double-teams and list tackles and sack numbers.

Rubin is our best lineman this year, that much is clear.

And...Rubin's stats are better:

Ahtyba Rubin CLE DT Tackles 67 Sacks 3.0

You can't judge success of defensive linemen by stats because their jobs rarely involve making tackles. Just like offensive linemen, defensive tackles are the guys in the trenches that make other ppl look better

The reason Jackson has so many tackles is partly because Phil Taylor is so good at keepin blockers off of Jackson.

It's not a very glorious role to play but defensive tackles, especially good ones, can make a defense very very dominant

Phil Taylor is a huge reason why the browns defense finds success

Not to mention Sheard adds 5 forced fumbles which leads the league to those 7.5 sacks. He should finish 2nd in defensive rookie of the year voting behind Von Miller, also a freak.

Dont forget Aldon Smith who also has 10.5 sacks with Miller but who has played only half the amount of snaps that Von Miller has...

Archived