THE BROWNS BOARD

Guys That Will Be Visiting Teams

cambridgeho

Interesting that only one WR is on this list. I would imagine there being more, unless Heckert is convinced that Blackmon is the pick at #4.

Or, that's what he wants the other teams to think... he's a little too tricky this time of year for me, but he has a good track record so who am I to argue?

Here is what I believe this portends: The Browns are going to force feed Montario Hardesty into the starting RB spot. They are going to give him the job and say "You were a second round draft pick. You are our #1 guy. We draft people that high to start. You are the starter and you have this year to prove that you deserve it. So put on your big boy pants and get the hell out there and run the damn ball."

The same could go for Colt. In other words, H&H have not given up on them. They will get a WR, a RT, some defense, and maybe a QB and another RB somewhere down the line with their 13 picks...but they are going to make Hardesty and McCoy prove they are not worthy of their investment in them or they are going to die trying.

Tannenhill not visiting dolphins?

The more I read, the more it seems like the Dolphins don't want to use #8 on Tannehill. They would rather use their 2nd round pick on him. I don't see us passing on him 3 times though. He could be there for us at #22.

Here is what I believe this portends: The Browns are going to force feed Montario Hardesty into the starting RB spot. They are going to give him the job and say "You were a second round draft pick. You are our #1 guy. We draft people that high to start. You are the starter and you have this year to prove that you deserve it. So put on your big boy pants and get the hell out there and run the damn ball."

The same could go for Colt. In other words, H&H have not given up on them. They will get a WR, a RT, some defense, and maybe a QB and another RB somewhere down the line with their 13 picks...but they are going to make Hardesty and McCoy prove they are not worthy of their investment in them or they are going to die trying.

Hardesty and McCoy will have competetion in camp. Neither one is going to be "handed" the starting job. We will draft a QB and RB within the first 5 picks. This is our FOs style. Holmgren loves the idea of breeding competetion, so does Childress and Jauron. It makes you get the best out of who you have. The problem is that a lot of the competetion on our talent-starved team is weak and the winner should merely be a backup in a lot of instances, but they end up starting for us.

Hopefully this draft breeds competetion at a higher level, thus making guys like McCoy and Hardesty either become better or shrink and be overtaken by early and mid-round picks. This is how you build through the draft. The risk is... everybody can't shrink. You have to have guys that play at a higher level that you picked them at, or "Gems" so to say. Lots of young guys on our roster are being given the opportunity for greatness. We won't know how that pans out until we see it on Sundays... until then, this team will continue to look like crap on paper...

im not sure how you can say its this FO style when the past 2 years have bene mostly defensive picks. hardesty in the 2nd, colt in the thrid...all others were on D.

edit: throw little in as well....

maybe ya have a point....

Hardesty and McCoy will have competetion in camp. Neither one is going to be "handed" the starting job. We will draft a QB and RB within the first 5 picks. This is our FOs style. Holmgren loves the idea of breeding competetion, so does Childress and Jauron. It makes you get the best out of who you have. The problem is that a lot of the competetion on our talent-starved team is weak and the winner should merely be a backup in a lot of instances, but they end up starting for us.

Hopefully this draft breeds competetion at a higher level, thus making guys like McCoy and Hardesty either become better or shrink and be overtaken by early and mid-round picks. This is how you build through the draft. The risk is... everybody can't shrink. You have to have guys that play at a higher level that you picked them at, or "Gems" so to say. Lots of young guys on our roster are being given the opportunity for greatness. We won't know how that pans out until we see it on Sundays... until then, this team will continue to look like crap on paper...

I don't think you have paid attention at all to what our FO does. You are expositing what you wish they would do, not what their track record is. They bring in "their guys" and they generally stick with "their guys". Aside from the 9 rookies and second year men that are starters on this roster they also have both Sheldon Brown and Chris Gocong which were Heckert's "guys" imported from his time in Philly...and maybe a couple of more.

No, it would NOT surprise me one bit if the Browns did NOT bring in a QB or RB in their first 5 picks. They could easily used those picks on a WR, a RT, a DB, a LB.

Perhaps starting in the 4th round, yes, they MAY bring in some picks to compete with Hardesty and McCoy.....but don't be surprised at all if they don't move any earlier than that.

Here is the Browns up to date Depth Chart, based on recent moves:

Offense

LWR 15 Little, Greg 11/2 10 Norwood, Jordan CF09 18 Mitchell, Carlton 10/6 17 Spencer, Owen SF11

RWR 11 Massaquoi, Mohamed 09/2 16 Cribbs, Joshua CF05 13 Windsor, Rod CF10

LT 73 Thomas, Joe 07/1

LG 62 Pinkston, Jason 11/5 00 Daniels, Stanley SF12

C 55 Mack, Alex 09/1

RG 66 Lauvao, Shawn 10/3 77 Greco, John T/SL 74 Shaw, Jarrod CF11

RT 72 Cousins, Oniel W/Bal 78 Alford, Dominic CF11

TE 82 WATSON, BENJAMIN U/NE 89 Moore, Evan SF09 81 Smith, Alex SF10 84 Cameron, Jordan 11/4 87 Gronkowski, Dan SF11

QB 12 McCoy, Colt 10/3 6 WALLACE, SENECA T/Sea 9 Lewis, Thaddeus W/SL

FB 48 Marecic, Owen 11/4 44 Williams, Eddie SF11

RB 31 Hardesty, Montario 10/2 25 Ogbonnaya, Chris P/Hou 29 Jackson, Brandon U/GB 35 Smith, Armond CF11

Defense

LDE 97 Sheard, Jabaal 11/2 00 PARKER, JUQUA U/Phi 96 Stephens, Emmanuel W/Atl 94 English, Auston CF10

LDT 98 Taylor, Phil 11/1 69 Paxson, Scott SF11 67 Tripp, Kiante SF11

RDT 71 Rubin, Ahtyba 08/6 70 Sanford, Brian CF10

RDE 00 Rucker, Frostee U/Cin 58 Benard, Marcus CF09 91 Schaefering, Brian CF08

SLB 99 FUJITA, SCOTT U/NO 90 Spears, Quinton W/Mia 93 Robertson, Craig CF11

MLB 52 Jackson, D'Qwell 06/2 53 Smith, Brian CF11

WLB 51 Gocong, Chris T/Phi 56 Maiava, Kaluka 09/4 54 Jacobs, Ben CF11

LCB 23 Haden, Joe 10/1 22 Skrine, Buster 11/5

SS 43 Ward, TJ 10/2 27 Hagg, Eric 11/7

FS 28 Young, Usama U/NO 41 Ventrone, Ray SF09 36 Sims, David SF11

RCB 24 BROWN, SHELDON T/Phi 21 Patterson, Dimitri U/Phi 34 Dockery, James CF11

Special Teams

P 2 HODGES, REGGIE SF09

PK 4 DAWSON, PHIL SF99 7 Wolfert, Jeff CF11

LS 57 Yount, Christian SF11

PR 16 Cribbs, Joshua CF05

KR 16 Cribbs, Joshua CF05

Also, disjecta membra:

Free Agents / Cap Casualties

UFA 20 ADAMS, MIKE U/Den 75 HICKS, ARTIS U/Mia 40 Hillis, Peyton U/KC 7 MAYNARD, BRAD P 60 Vallos, Steve U/Phi

CC 92 Mitchell, Jayme DE 79 PASHOS, TONY OT 65 STEINBACH, ERIC OG

Play with this and see where you might replace/fill in gaps, from the 13 picks the Browns have coming up. Guys in Green are Holmgren/Heckert draftees"

Note, there are 62 players on that depth chart. With 13 new draftees plus who knows what else, something is going to have to move out.

I definitely see major holes at:

RWR

RT

FS

RCB

SLB

(note I didn't put QB or RB in there)

to be filled possibly by:

RWR: Blackmon Ok St. 4th overallpick

ROT: Bobbie Massie Ole Miss 2d round #37

FS: Markelle Martin Ok. Stl 3rd round

SLB: Zach Brown UNC #22

RCB: Chase Minniefield, 4th round. His stock has dropped tremendously where some services say he is only the 17th best cornerback in the draft!! (I was surprised by that.

I have these guys as being the first ones that I would like to see out. If the 53-man roster was made today, these guys would all make it.

QB – Thaddeus Lewis

RB – Chris Ogbonnaya

WR – Carlton Mitchell

WR – Rod Windsor

OL – Jarrod Shaw G

OL – Stanley Daniels G

OL – Dominic Alford G/T

LB – Craig Robertson MLB

LB – Quinton Spears MLB/OLB

DB – James Dockery CB

DB – Ray Ventrone S

That's 11 guys that I would not mind being cut by the end of pre-season. So... if I were to actually use all 13 picks it would be at these 11 positions + another OT and DT to compete for depth spots.

Add these names to the cuts:

Armond Smith, Eddie Williams FB, Owen Spencer, Dan Gronkowski, Brian Sanford DE, Emmanuel Stephens DE, Kiante Tripp DT, Auston English DE, Ben Jacobs OLB, Brian Smith MLB, David Sims SS, Jeff Wolfert K

I don't think you have paid attention at all to what our FO does. You are expositing what you wish they would do, not what their track record is. They bring in "their guys" and they generally stick with "their guys". Aside from the 9 rookies and second year men that are starters on this roster they also have both Sheldon Brown and Chris Gocong which were Heckert's "guys" imported from his time in Philly...and maybe a couple of more.

No, it would NOT surprise me one bit if the Browns did NOT bring in a QB or RB in their first 5 picks. They could easily used those picks on a WR, a RT, a DB, a LB.

Perhaps starting in the 4th round, yes, they MAY bring in some picks to compete with Hardesty and McCoy.....but don't be surprised at all if they don't move any earlier than that.

I can't say you're wrong, but I don't see Holmgren being dumb enough to only give McCoy a 4th rounder or later to compete with. That is barely pushing him, and he NEEDS pushed this offseason. Hardesty, on the other hand, I could see being given a little more leeway, and slipping into the starting role. Honestly though, I think I'm okay with both these guys as starters for 2012. There are so many holes at starting positions on this team, and a couple of them are going to have to be sacrificed to guys who win the jobs in camp despite having weak competetion.

And, every front office brings in "their guys." Most infamously was Mangini when he got the Browns job. That doesn't mean they NEED "their guys" to start, but they bring them in for a reason. If we continue to fill our roster with "their guys" that they draft and give them opportunities, it will only improve this team's future.

Then, one of these days when we only have 2-3 holes to fill up, we hit the FA market and field a championship-level team finally. You build from the ground up. That's the way it works. Until we start "sticking" with "their guys," we'll continue to be stuck in mediocrity and instability... unfortunately.

I have these guys as being the first ones that I would like to see out. If the 53-man roster was made today, these guys would all make it.

QB – Thaddeus Lewis

RB – Chris Ogbonnaya

WR – Carlton Mitchell

WR – Rod Windsor

OL – Jarrod Shaw G

OL – Stanley Daniels G

OL – Dominic Alford G/T

LB – Craig Robertson MLB

LB – Quinton Spears MLB/OLB

DB – James Dockery CB

DB – Ray Ventrone S

That's 11 guys that I would not mind being cut by the end of pre-season. So... if I were to actually use all 13 picks it would be at these 11 positions + another OT and DT to compete for depth spots.

I might think that Aldon Smith rather than Obiwon could be out...though Smith is more of a scatback that we need. And I would see Owen Spencer rather than Carlton Mitchell out at WR.

Plus, you are really going to need to pick up some OL if you ditch the ones you mention....not that I disagree with that action

I can't say you're wrong, but I don't see Holmgren being dumb enough to only give McCoy a 4th rounder or later to compete with. That is barely pushing him, and he NEEDS pushed this offseason. Hardesty, on the other hand, I could see being given a little more leeway, and slipping into the starting role. Honestly though, I think I'm okay with both these guys as starters for 2012. There are so many holes at starting positions on this team, and a couple of them are going to have to be sacrificed to guys who win the jobs in camp despite having weak competetion.

And, every front office brings in "their guys." Most infamously was Mangini when he got the Browns job. That doesn't mean they NEED "their guys" to start, but they bring them in for a reason. If we continue to fill our roster with "their guys" that they draft and give them opportunities, it will only improve this team's future.

Then, one of these days when we only have 2-3 holes to fill up, we hit the FA market and field a championship-level team finally. You build from the ground up. That's the way it works. Until we start "sticking" with "their guys," we'll continue to be stuck in mediocrity and instability... unfortunately.

Only two of the guy 15-16 guys they have taken in the last two drafts are no longer on the team. See the depth chart. If Hardesty is a starter then that means 10 starters on the Browns will have come from those last 2 drafts....and probably at least 3-4 more from this draft. Natually, all those guys gotta get the job done. The jury is still out.

I might think that Aldon Smith rather than Obiwon could be out...though Smith is more of a scatback that we need. And I would see Owen Spencer rather than Carlton Mitchell out at WR.

Plus, you are really going to need to pick up some OL if you ditch the ones you mention....not that I disagree with that action

I had those guys as farther down on the depth chart than the ones I listed. I made an assumption about Smith and Spencer that they would be below Obi and Mitchell, thus not even given a chance at the 53 this year.

My mistake.

The guys I listed were ones that would make the 53, if we had to make the cuts today.

I definitely see major holes at:

RWR

RT

FS

RCB

SLB

I like it, but I see it a little differently.

We need day 1 starter quality, in this order at: WR1, RT, OLB

We need players to compete to start at (in this order): RB, RG, CB2, WR(slot), QB, FS

We need to add depth at: OT, MLB, OG, and DT

Right now I see:

Blackmon at #4 at WR

Jonathan Martin at #22 at RT (doubt he drops that far). Could also see Tannehill dropping here.

Either QB, RB, or OLB in the 2nd

Mid-round picks at QB, RB, OLB, CB

Later picks at the other positions mentioned above including a slot reciever, safety, guard.

I like it, but I see it a little differently.

We need day 1 starter quality, in this order at: WR1, RT, OLB

We need players to compete to start at (in this order): RB, RG, CB2, WR(slot), QB, FS

We need to add depth at: OT, MLB, OG, and DT

Right now I see:

Blackmon at #4 at WR

Jonathan Martin at #22 at RT (doubt he drops that far). Could also see Tannehill dropping here.

Either QB, RB, or OLB in the 2nd

Mid-round picks at QB, RB, OLB, CB

Later picks at the other positions mentioned above including a slot reciever, safety, guard.

I don't think that is too much different than what I said. I had WR and LB at 4/22, and OT at 37. You had WR/OT at 4/22 with LB at 37. Either order could work.

I did put a priority on a FS. I mean, if I were pushed, I would rather keep Sheldon Brown at CB than Usama Young at FS...so FS is more of my priority.

I really thought Hardesty was a steel in the draft, I was wrong!!!!! cant stay on the field and does not have the vision I thought he had...

And for the 10,000 time we will not draft 4th

Oh, I forgot that just because you say so we wont'! Makes sense...

Well, I happen to "know" that we will be picking 4th, for the draft chart tells me so. So, unless you have inside knowledge or are a fortune teller... ;)

I really thought Hardesty was a steel in the draft, I was wrong!!!!! cant stay on the field and does not have the vision I thought he had...

And for the 10,000 time we will not draft 4th

Politics 101 my friend. Don't admitt failed believes while prognosticating the future.

David Wilson looks sick!

Are you a doctor? What is his diagnosis?

Elephantitis?

Werewolf Syndrome?

Blue Skin Disorder?

Vampire Disease?

Alice in Wonderland Disorder?

Walking Corpse Syndrome?

Jumping Frenchman Disorder?

These are are real diseases. So, what do you say, Bones?

Are you a doctor? What is his diagnosis?

Elephantitis?

Werewolf Syndrome?

Blue Skin Disorder?

Vampire Disease?

Alice in Wonderland Disorder?

Walking Corpse Syndrome?

Jumping Frenchman Disorder?

These are are real diseases. So, what do you say, Bones?

lol. I just ment that I am impressed with what I've seen (which is only a few highlight reals so take it with a grain of salt). He looks to have ridiculous balance, good speed and seems harder to bring down than he looks like he would be from his size.

lol. I just ment that I am impressed with what I've seen (which is only a few highlight reals so take it with a grain of salt). He looks to have ridiculous balance, good speed and seems harder to bring down than he looks like he would be from his size.

That sounds like he is pretty healthy to me! ;)

(Regina....does that mean you are the bloody Queen...or that you live in Saskatchewan?

By the way, the one time I ran into the Queen was in Saskatoon. Though, I did have a cousin that once worked closely with her)

The same could go for Colt.

Interesting "tough love" take, Gip...

In Hardesty's case it also plays the odds that he should not get hurt again... but if he should happen to get hurt, he's gone.

Interesting thing about Pro days is how many teams go supposedly to look at "the star" everyone is focusing upon when either:

- it was really about another player going in; or

- ends up being about someone that unexpectedly grabs their attention.

Then there's always the pure, Kabuki Theater aspect of star gazing...

Interesting "tough love" take, Gip...

In Hardesty's case it also plays the odds that he should not get hurt again... but if he should happen to get hurt, he's gone.

Interesting thing about Pro days is how many teams go supposedly to look at "the star" everyone is focusing upon when either:

- it was really about another player going in; or

- ends up being about someone that unexpectedly grabs their attention.

Then there's always the pure, Kabuki Theater aspect of star gazing...

My take on this is a bit of tough love....but it is also based on the fact that Holmgren and Heckert are arrogant enough to not believe they have made a mistake with one of their choice assets, like a second round draft pick. They won't admit that this guy is a bust until it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is a bust.

And they believe....and for all we know it may be that given proper health Hardesty will flourish...now especially that he has had 2 years in the system.

It would be nice to know if this guy really is worth a shit or not...when healthy.

The other reason for my opinion is that, true to their word H&H really DO want to build through the draft.

They got a hole at RT and a hole at WR that are currently filled by guys that are A. not doing the job and B. are not H&H guys.

And they have holes at FS, CB and LB that are of the same ilk.

With Hardesty at RB they have 10 starters on this team from their last two drafts. I think they would like to make it 13 or 14, minimally, out of 3 drafts.

Whether or not this clattering collection of caliginous junk can win after having been built remains...to us...to be seen. H&H however have no doubt that it will.

Archived