THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns skipping another pro day

beare

I don't care about missing pro days. We already know how these guys throw the ball, and so does everyone else. If they COULDN'T throw the ball in scripted conditions, they wouldn't be starting QB's in division 1. The private workouts will be infinitely more important, and that's where we'll really get to dive into what these guys can do. I have to say, I'm liking how Mitch throws the ball. I like the quick release and good anticipation. He appears to throw people open, and the ball definitely gets there.

By most accounts, Watson wasn't too impressive at the combine and his pro day. I worry that Watson could be a case of "dissecting a player too much", and not just looking at the results. Like, are people looking too closely at his faults and not hard enough at what the cat can do? Is Watson a "gamer" and somebody that knows what to do with the ball when it counts, but just doesn't look great doing it in practice? I keep going back to Russell Wilson. I was screaming to draft this guy in the first round, and people thought I was crazy. He was too short, and we every team let him go past two entire rounds (I think...wasn't he an early 3rd rounder? Maybe I'm wrong). Regardless, if you ever WATCHED Russell play, you KNEW he could play. He was a leader, a playmaker, a guy that was respected. Yet he was picked apart by all of the experts, and he slid down a bit. He instantly beat out Matt Flynn, and the rest is history. Is Watson such a guy?

I still don't think much of this matters, as we're going to have Jimmy Garoppolo in about one week. The big owner's meeting is Sunday in Phoenix, and apparently a TON of NFL business gets done during that time. We're going to make the Patriots a deal they can't refuse, and they will gladly part ways with their backup QB. Just a fair warning, I want all Browns fans to be ready for the NFL backlash. There's going to be a ton of articles saying things like, "Patriots played the Browns perfectly!" "Another example of the Patriots owning the NFL!" and lord knows what else. But here's the thing: If we get JG, there's a good chance we have a real starting QB. I know many people aren't sold on the guy because he hasn't thrown that many passes AND he's been injured, but I like him. I think our coaching staff loves him. And I think he's far and away a much stronger QB candidate than ANYBODY in this draft.

Could I be wrong? Of course, there are no guarantees. We may HAVE to draft a QB and roll with Cody this year. But I don't think so...I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.

Hopefully not for the #1 pick, a twitter rumour that appeared from someone that gets info on the Browns from time to time.

Hopefully not for the #1 pick, a twitter rumour that appeared from someone that gets info on the Browns from time to time.

I know...that scares the death out of me. Problem is, if we ACTUALLY found our "franchise QB", the price is worth anything. Literally anything. Imagine this: Say the price of Garoppolo truly is the freaking #1 pick, but the Browns say, "Get lost." The Patriots don't trade JG, and he backs up Brady all season. Suppose Garoppolo hits the free agent market in 2018, signs with a team, and plays well. Not "balls out awesome" or anything, but plays well enough to warrant being a starter without doubt. It would be DISASTROUS for the Browns. We let another QB slip through our fingers. Can you IMAGINE the backlash? Sure, we'd draft a QB in 2017, but we all know that rookies aren't sure things, and this rookie class is weaker than most. If we don't pay the price for JG, he turns out to be good, and our draft pick doesn't....we're firing Hue Jackson, our front office, and we're once again back at square zero. I know it seems apocalyptic, but am I wrong?

Listen, I'm NOT saying I want to trade the FREAKING #1 PICK for a backup QB. Lord knows I don't want to. But Jesus...we need to figure this position out. And I don't see a rookie or Cody Kessler being the answer right now.

Ok, now back to REALITY. The Patriots don't have a first or second round pick. We know this. They might be shrewd business people in New England, but they aren't going to demand the #1 overall pick. That's ridiculous. The Browns have a litany of early draft picks, and we can put together a deal that will benefit BOTH teams. I honestly don't think the #1 pick even factors into it.

Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.

Again... you cannot "workout" draft prospects during their visits. This is not a UFA coming in to make the earth move...

What you can do is lift the lid and see what's going on under there, if anything. That is where the significant questions are about any of the QB prospects in this, or any other, draft class.

Again... you cannot "workout" draft prospects during their visits. This is not a UFA coming in to make the earth move...

What you can do is lift the lid and see what's going on under there, if anything. That is where the significant questions are about any of the QB prospects in this, or any other, draft class.

What do you mean can't?

Says here they do on field work

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2015027-how-significant-are-private-workouts-in-the-evaluation-process-of-nfl-teams.amp.html

I would think that good teachers would probably be pretty good evaluators, yes.

I would like to ask just why Hue was touted as being so great with QB's?

Is it because he had QB's on the team when he was the HC of the Raiders?

Because he had QB's on the team when he was the OC of the Bengals?

As I recall, his Dalton finished a game against us with a QB rating of two. (2)

He brought in RG3 and was quite excited about having him.

He told us to Trust Him on the Kessler pick...and then pulls him at halftime in a game that the kid was doing pretty well....and he never really gave him back the job. And right up until they traded for The Ostrich Hue was saying how he knew that he had to find us a QB (as if he didn't trust his Kessler pick AT ALL).

OK....I'm just ranting here...it's late...I just got back from band rehearsal....

Again...I just think that if you're uncertain about your team's QB position...and you've got the #1 and #12 picks in the draft (not to mention our two 2nd round picks)....then you should be scoping out each of the top QB's....using every tool they give you.

Fuck it. Just let the homeless guy make the pick.

I think that Hue's status as a "QB Guru" is certainly up for debate.

I asked this question elsewhere. There is all this talk about a private workout...yet you say that they can't do a workout.

After the board work, everyone goes to the practice field. Here, the coach will want to find out if the player is capable of doing things that are required by the team's scheme—much more specific than at a pro day. He will work on things that his team does on a daily basis. The coach also wants to see how the player responds to his coaching and get a feel for his work habits.

The Cleveland Browns have a strong need for a quarterback. Despite this, it has been reported on most sports websites and newspapers that they did not attend one pro day of the top quarterback prospects. Instead, they have scheduled private workouts with all the quarterbacks in whom they have an interest.

(by the way...this article was written several years ago, the year Blake Bortles was drafted.....so not much has changed even through regime change)

There's some kind of caveat that Mitch can workout in Berea because he's a prospect that's considered local to cleveburg

April, 2014 article? I have a more recent reference... suggests a rule change.

I know at one the NFLPA was concerned that prospects getting 8, 10, 12 visits were working out on-field too much and risking injury.

Pre-draft visits important in evaluating prospects

April 12, 2015

The NFL has strict rules for these visits. Each team can bring no more than 30 players to its facility, and no on-field testing or timing is allowed, only blackboard work or written tests.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/04/11/nfl-pre-draft-visits-important-part-evaluating-prospects/Sj3QAwyZT6FFoIci2zgUoK/story.html

It's so damn obvious, the decision has already been made. It'Trubisky at #1 then a LB at 12. We don't need another damn DL we have plenty.

It's so damn obvious, the decision has already been made. It'Trubisky at #1 then a LB at 12. We don't need another damn DL we have plenty.

Yeah they played so well and led the league in non-sacks.

There's some kind of caveat that Mitch can workout in Berea because he's a prospect that's considered local to cleveburg

From NC local news--The only thing Mama's Mitchell has stated about the browns is that "He would honor any invitation to a Browns private workout due to his past hometown background & his fandom of the Browns" I watched his lips move the whole time..(that's one square head)

From NC local news--The only thing Mama's Mitchell has stated about the browns is that "He would honor any invitation to a Browns private workout due to his past hometown background & his fandom of the Browns" I watched his lips move the whole time..(that's one square head)

He does sort of look like one of the Rockem Sockem Robot guys.

mitch-trubisky-5fa6a3e874442e15.jpg

Even though you quoted me?

After you quoted me, yes.

Take a look back through this conversation. I never quoted a post where you said that they had already determined all of these QBs weren't worthy of selection.

And you still didn't address why if they had made that determination already, that they would bother bringing them in for private meetings.

Which again doesn't have anything to do with my original point... Which was about the optics and how quickly some seem to excuse this FO for doing the opposite of what was praise-worthy just 12 months ago.

..or Carl Spackler

chescrowel_caddyshack_thumb.jpg

lmao...

"Here he is... the amazing young quarterback from Mentor... down by 35... late in the 4th... totally unphased as he calmly takes his spot under center..."

Yeah they played so well and led the league in non-sacks.

Let's not forget we are getting a new DC and switching to a 4-3 base. If you think getting 16 sacks total for a season is going to get us over the hump then so be it. What has Clowney and Watt done for the Texan's? Answer-alot but they cant get over the hump because they don't have a QB.

Let's not forget we are getting a new DC and switching to a 4-3 base. If you think getting 16 sacks total for a season is going to get us over the hump then so be it. What has Clowney and Watt done for the Texan's? Answer-alot but they cant get over the hump because they don't have a QB.

WE have their QB now....without having their defense.

Cinderella Story?

Holy shi$ here Gip. Am losing my mind LMAO!! Here's the deal. Living in Carolina I have watched UNC a bunch..#1. Fedora was on NFL radio this week. Fedora was asked why Williams over Mitch? Larry Fedora explained "Mitch was just as prepared as Marquise Williams was. Mitch showed that when Mitch got on the field as he also pushed Williams all season. But,how do I(fedora)pull a guy in Marquise off the field if the starting QB wins 11 games & wins our main goal as the ACC Title"? #2.Stanford,NC.State & Miami was probably the best Mitch saw at the secondary position. He failed. Did not play Clemson. Watch the Fla.State tape. Mitch fared well with average secondary's. They won the FSU game Running over FSU. Yes, Mitch has had his clutch moments in every game. But he's late on some & tries to make up for it in arm strength & his ball placement on a couple go the other way..If Mitch is at #12, am probably pulling my hair out till the name is called..Mitchell will be a Cinderella Story alright. Let's just get it Right..

It's so damn obvious....... It'Trubisky at #1 then a LB at 12. ..

Cannot tell.....is this serious or joking?

Maybe a little Steve Canyon (though perhaps with the blonde hair, Josh McCown was a better match here):

canyon.jpg

Looks more like Phil Dawson to me....

Which again doesn't have anything to do with my original point... Which was about .... how quickly some seem to excuse this FO for doing the opposite of what was praise-worthy just 12 months ago.

My take ....EXACTLY.....

Our previous FO(who shall remain nameless) was persecuted for missing some pro-days.......

I remember him getting attacked for passing on Clowneys pro day, in favor of attending Bortles.....ha!

..or Carl Spackler

chescrowel_caddyshack_thumb.jpg

Hilarious!.....tho I think Spackle is a bit sharper....

Archived