THE BROWNS BOARD

Aj mccarron

Russell78

Hi everyone, long time reader first time posting. I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are toward Aj? I think he would be a great choice, I know cincy would be reluctant to trade within division but with our trade chips and the fact they got hit hard in free agency(whitworth,zeitler) they would listen. I wouldn't hesitate giving our 52nd pick for him. He knows Hues offense and would be a lot cheaper route than Jimmy g. I still would like to draft Trubisky at 12 and leave him sit a few years behind Aj,Cody and hogan possible! Also if we could sign either poe or Hankins for the line and tj McDonald at safety then come out of the draft with Garrett,Trubisky and Budda baker I really believe we could assemble a team where I wouldn't have to drink a case of beer every Sunday in order to watch the entire game haha. Any thoughts?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, long time reader first time posting. I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are toward Aj? I think he would be a great choice, I know cincy would be reluctant to trade within division but with our trade chips and the fact they got hit hard in free agency(whitworth,zeitler) they would listen. I wouldn't hesitate giving our 52nd pick for him. He knows Hues offense and would be a lot cheaper route than Jimmy g. I still would like to draft Trubisky at 12 and leave him sit a few years behind Aj,Cody and hogan possible! Also if we could sign either poe or Hankins for the line and tj McDonald at safety then come out of the draft with Garrett,Trubisky and Budda baker I really believe we could assemble a team where I wouldn't have to drink a case of beer every Sunday in order to watch the entire game haha. Any thoughts?

Welcome. I really don't think AJ is the answer to our hopes and dreams. When I lived in Alabama I watched a lot of his games, and was not impressed. Him and Aaron Murray were about the same that year and both were drafted as backups. The 1 thing AJ has that has is the hot wife that is my avatar.

Two words why it wont happen:

Mike Brown

From what I recall....he has never entered into a trade with the Cleveland Browns....and never will as long as he is scentient.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I realize mike brown has never engaged in trade talks with us before just thought they might need draft picks to add players, I'm not saying I think Aj is our savior but I just think he could buy us time to develop Trubisky without throwing him to the wolves, I just think he would be a young healthy upgrade over anyone else on our roster that would be capable of winning a few games without the learning curve of a new offense, I didn't see where there was much of a drop off from dalton when he played

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I realize mike brown has never engaged in trade talks with us before just thought they might need draft picks to add players, I'm not saying I think Aj is our savior but I just think he could buy us time to develop Trubisky without throwing him to the wolves, I just think he would be a young healthy upgrade over anyone else on our roster that would be capable of winning a few games without the learning curve of a new offense, I didn't see where there was much of a drop off from dalton when he played

Things are alot easier with AJ GREEN To throw to. If anything, I think the Bengals offense has under performed.

First, welcome...

AJ was my dark-horse QB when he came out in 2014, and I think his 2015 work in Cinci's stretch run says more about him than Jimmy G's two-game stint to open this past season for the Pats... But mine is a minority view.

As for the #52? Certainly in the ballpark if you insert AJ into this year's draft class, but I think I like other options better for that pick in combination with a couple QB options down the board.

• 3 weeks later...

A little AJ buzz renewal?

MORE AJ: With all coaches and GMs gathered together this week, expect more AJ McCarron-to-the-Browns buzz. It may become rather deafening if Browns head coach Hue Jackson can’t pry Jimmy Garoppolo away from Bill Belichick, his opposite number in New England. Of course, with Patriots owner Robert Kraft telling the media here Monday that Tom Brady has told him he's going to play six or seven more years, why wouldn't they move Garoppolo?

It’s believed trading a backup quarterback within the AFC North to a coach they greatly regard is rather distasteful to Bengals president Mike Brown. But given Bengals director of player personnel Duke Tobin’s pronouncement earlier this month that the Bengals will listen to anyone, Brown also appears to have a price.

What that is, who knows? There is one trade the Bengals would no doubt pull off with the Browns (and that's big since they've never drafted with their Battle of Ohio rival) and that’s swapping their ninth pick in the first round for the Browns’ 12th. This is the draft where everyone but No. 1 wants to move back from five on down.

That’s how NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan sees it.

“There are about four (elite) players,” Kirwan said. “Gil Brandt says 15-45 usually have about the same grade. This year it’s more like 10-40. What do you want?”

When the answer is “edge rusher,” Kirwan doesn’t think the Bengals can miss with Tennessee’s Derek Barnett at No. 9: “Barnett is hard-assed, a hard worker, and plays hard every down.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/NFL-meeting-notes-no-leap-year-good-news-on-Ced-a-vote-for-Barnett/0662f5dc-59e9-4f83-bee5-f19d1654e293

Some ancillary discussion at reddit about our #12 + #33 for AJ + #9 being "floated" by Cinci. Seems a bit rich IMO, but a reasonable starting point.

I actually kind of like that offer.

Agree... intriguing start to a negotiation, if true.

Their #9 is deeper in the meat of the impact prospects than our #12. Plus the #33 has always seemed to end up in no-man's-land in the sims I've done.

On its face by the Harvard/Meers Chart it's: 1.12+2.01 ===> 1.09+AJ or 283.6+175.2=458.8 ===> 308.0+AJ meaning AJ is worth 150.8 or roughly pick 2.15... a mid 2nd. Bring that down 20-ish points and it's a late-2nd equivalent.

The 16-ish difference between our 5.38 Comp and their 5.09 gets pretty close.

Of course any deal would need a signed extension in place... two added years would be adequate.

CIN has the following picks:

• 4.09, 4.31
  • 5.09, 5.32
  • 6.09, 6.33
  • 7.09, 7.33

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=cin

Just no- read below.

Id offer a 17th round pick for him....

He's worth at least a 7th. :) That radar gun stuff in another thread says he's a lame arm.

Two words why it wont happen:

Mike Brown

From what I recall....he has never entered into a trade with the Cleveland Browns....and never will as long as he is scentient.

He is scentient enough to sense the stench coming out of Cleveland.

I don't know if he is scentient but Mike Brown does hold a grudge.

Gipper --- As always, you're the one who keeps insisting there won't be a trade because of something that happened over 50 years ago. Seems to mean a lot more to you than it does anyone actually associated with the Bengals. For example, the Bengals defacto GM Duke Tobin has repeatedly said the team would be willing to listen to any offer and would indeed trade McCarron if the price was right. So there's simply no reason to read between the lines or make silly claims about Mike Brown when Tobin openly admits he's willing to trade a player on the Bengals roster, right? But there's the rub because Tobin has openly warned interested teams that he's going to ask for enough to make it hurt. And of course that's where you guys always tap out.

Gipper --- As always, you're the one who keeps insisting there won't be a trade because of something that happened over 50 years ago. Seems to mean a lot more to you than it does anyone actually associated with the Bengals. For example, the Bengals defacto GM Duke Tobin has repeatedly said the team would be willing to listen to any offer and would indeed trade McCarron if the price was right. So there's simply no reason to read between the lines or make silly claims about Mike Brown when Tobin openly admits he's willing to trade a player on the Bengals roster, right? But there's the rub because Tobin has openly warned interested teams that he's going to ask for enough to make it hurt. And of course that's where you guys always tap out.

This subject just came up this morning on the radio....the station that broadcasts Browns games. And THEY stated it emphatically that the Mike Brown has put the Verboten sign on doing any trades with the Browns. So, it is not me.

As for the Browns "tapping out", it is simply a matter of not wanting to be gouged. If the Bengals want to be stupid and ask for stupid compensation for a backup QB, then their FO is Retarded. Besides, the Browns just made a trade for a guy that was a starting QB. Why would they want to trade for another.....unless you think that the Bengals will trade for Brock Osweiler...straight up for McCarron.

Im sure it's already been said......but there is a history of the Bengals saying they wont deal with the Browns.......and it would be REALLY REALLY dumb to trade a viable starting QB to a team within your division(and terrible PR move to lose annually to the guy you just traded away)....

So....

#1) I dont see any way the Bugals would do this trade.....

#2) and....IF.....they did, I dont see any way they think McCarron is a viable QB....

Beware beware beware.......any player the Stools, Ravens or Bungals see fit to trade to the Browns

Im sure it's already been said......but there is a history of the Bengals saying they wont deal with the Browns.......and it would be REALLY REALLY dumb to trade a viable starting QB to a team within your division(and terrible PR move to lose annually to the guy you just traded away)....

So....

#1) I dont see any way the Bugals would do this trade.....

#2) and....IF.....they did, I dont see any way they think McCarron is a viable QB....

Beware beware beware.......any player the Stools, Ravens or Bungals see fit to trade to the Browns

Well, let it be noted that it was the Browns that basically snookered the Steelers into taking Justin Gilbert off their hands for a 6th round pick.

And the one Browns/Ravens trade I recall was the time during the draft that the Browns traded up...then took Kam Wimbley. Now, there was nothing wrong with the trade per se....its just...as usual, there was a problem with the pick.

Then we go back to the Bill Nelsen/Dick Shiner trade. We shined the Steelers dick to make that trade, and it worked great for us.

Pffft... I scoff at your cautious nature...

... especially in the case of the Steelers thanks to our Gilbert-based, trade foundation being in place...

Gipper---How many times are you going to ignore the words of Duke Tobin? As the Bengals defacto GM don't you think he has more to say on the matter than a couple of talking heads you overheard on the radio? BTW, how often do your hear GM's or director of player personnel openly discussing their willingness to trade a player under contract? I'm guessing not often, but Tobin is willing to do so because everyone in Cincy seems to love McCarron and believe he deserves a chance to start, something he won't get with the Bengals unless Dalton is injured. As a result Tobin knows McCarron won't agree to play for the Bengals two years from now.

As for not wanting to be gouged, I get it, but now you're talking about something completely different than a rant that presumes the Bengals won't trade with the Browns because of something that happened nearly 60 years ago. In fact, a desire to not overpay seems pretty reasonable, and a huge improvement over the silly Mike Brown rant you've repeated a dozen times. Best, the desire to not overpay puts the responsibility for your teams 1-15 record squarely where it belongs, and begs the question of whether the Browns are doing enough to find a new starting QB. Speaking strictly as a Bengal fan I'm only too happy to see the Browns trying to fix things on the cheap.

Mudfly----Nobody loses to the Browns annually and I doubt that fact will change regardless of whether your team trades for Garappolo or McCarron. That said, both might be good enough to double your teams win total, a worthy goal for any team struggling to become relevant again.

Mudfly---What point does the Gilbert example prove if not the one about how your team overvalues draft picks? Right now the Brownie fanbase acts as if it's drunk on draft picks, believing that each pick they have will somehow result in a better results than those gotten previously by the same brain trust that made 1-13 possible?

Gipper---You're delusional if you think the Browns came out ahead in the Gilbert dealings. At best your team recovered a tiny fraction of the investment it made in Gilbert by trading him to a team willing to trade a late 6th round pick for a player your team drafted 3rd overall.

Mudfly---What point does the Gilbert example prove if not the one about how your team overvalues draft picks? Right now the Brownie fanbase acts as if it's drunk on draft picks, believing that each pick they have will somehow result in a better results than those gotten previously by the same brain trust that made 1-13 possible?

Simple....it proves we will trade within our division when we think the player is shit.....

In terms of this FO loving to collect picks for the sake of collecting picks////you are preaching to the choir.....Im not a fan of how they conduct business or evaluate talent....

Gipper---How many times are you going to ignore the words of Duke Tobin?

Until Mike Brown dies.

As the Bengals defacto GM don't you think he has more to say on the matter than a couple of talking heads you overheard on the radio?

But he doesn't have more to say than Mike Brown.

BTW, how often do your hear GM's or director of player personnel openly discussing their willingness to trade a player under contract? I'm guessing not often, but Tobin is willing to do so because everyone in Cincy seems to love McCarron and believe he deserves a chance to start, something he won't get with the Bengals unless Dalton is injured. As a result Tobin knows McCarron won't agree to play for the Bengals two years from now.

Then you should trade him. It just won't be to the Browns.

As for not wanting to be gouged, I get it, but now you're talking about something completely different than a rant that presumes the Bengals won't trade with the Browns because of something that happened nearly 60 years ago.

Talk to your owner. If you can come up with a statement by Mike Brown ..the owner...not the GM, that says he would be willing to make a trade with anyone, and specifically with the Browns, then I will buy what you are selling. (It would still not mean that they would make a trade)

In fact, a desire to not overpay seems pretty reasonable, and a huge improvement over the silly Mike Brown rant you've repeated a dozen times.

Oh, I can imagine the rants that Mike Brown has had about the Browns over the years.

Again....show us proof that MIKE BROWN has changed his stripes....not his flunky. (pun intended)

Best, the desire to not overpay puts the responsibility for your teams 1-15 record squarely where it belongs, and begs the question of whether the Browns are doing enough to find a new starting QB. Speaking strictly as a Bengal fan I'm only too happy to see the Browns trying to fix things on the cheap.

You think Osweiler was cheap? At 16 mill per year or whatever? I will be glad to have you take me out for a "cheap" dinner.

Mudfly----Nobody loses to the Browns annually and I doubt that fact will change regardless of whether your team trades for Garappolo or McCarron. That said, both might be good enough to double your teams win total, a worthy goal for any team struggling to become relevant again.

In two years, playoff bound. (and I predict that neither JG or McC will be here for it.

That IS what draft picks are supposed to be for: to attempt to improve your team. And riddle me this: how can this group of draft selectors really do any worse than the groups that have been here before.

Gipper---You're delusional if you think the Browns came out ahead in the Gilbert dealings. At best your team recovered a tiny fraction of the investment it made in Gilbert by trading him to a team willing to trade a late 6th round pick for a player your team drafted 3rd overall.

They came out ahead on the trade....which is what I said. I didn't say they came out ahead on the pick of the player from two years ago I mean, your nuts are so numb as to not be able to read a simple sentence? I mean, put your Captain Obvious uniform on.

Simple....it proves we will trade within our division when we think the player is shit.....

In terms of this FO loving to collect picks for the sake of collecting picks////you are preaching to the choir.....Im not a fan of how they conduct business or evaluate talent....

The point of collecting picks is to do two possible things: A. To take good players with those picks that will improve your team. Certainly the Browns have performed miserably in that regard....or B. to use those picks as "ammunition" in trades that will allow you to get more picks to get more better players. This is what they did last year in trading the #2 overall pick. While trades of picks have been utilized as ammunition to move up to take players they want....like Trent Richardson and JMZ...it again comes down to what you do with the picks you acquire. Moving a hundred chess pieces around the board won't get you a good pick. Standing pat won't get you a good pick. The Browns have traded, and the Browns have stood pat. In the past, no matter which they did they sucked at making the right pick.

So, I don't care if they do move or if they stand pat. Just pick good players not matter what. A clear failing of many regimes here.

Mudfly---So once again a Brown fan makes an argument demonstrating the narrow circumstances that would allow a trade within the division, but I'm still supposed to believe a trade won't happen because of something the Bengals are unwilling to do? And all because of something that occurred long before nearly everyone involved was born? Please. If anything Duke Tobin is trying to fan the flames while simultaneously telling low ballers to stay away.

Gipper---Your prediction the Browns will be a playoff team in two years is just more proof you'll make boasts based upon nothing. Garbage in, garbage out. And you prediction that neither Garappolo or McCarron will be a Brown isn't at all surprising seeing how both teams have expressed their reluctance to deal a backup QB unless offered a kings ransom coupled with your teams unwillingness to pay full price for any veteran QB who isn't named McCown or RG3.

The very fact that your team doesn't have a starting QB and won't trade anything of real value to get one is the very thing that makes your team so Brownish. Well, that and the fact that so many of you are willing to put up with it.

Gipper---So I'm supposed to come up with "proof" by finding a Mike Brown quote that will counter what you heard on a Cleveland area morning zoo radio show?

Yes. Prove that Mike Brown will make a trade with the Browns. I know you can't, so don't really worry yourself about it.

Archived