THE BROWNS BOARD

The 30 Greatest Football Places In America

The Gipper

Ole Miss beats Alabama again......solidifying its place on this list (though the list is not subject to change by a mere big win or 2). Originally not on my radar, but ballpeen and Ghoolie advocated for it....so it got put on. It was the overall tradition of the place that they brought awareness of that gets it there.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the Bleacher Report screwed the pooch on this one...their so calle "best high school programs" of all time:

How legit can it be? No Massillon, no McKinley, no Valdosta, no St. Ignatius, no Odessa Permian, no Cincinnatti Moeller, no Pittsburgh North Hills, no Berwick PA etc.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

http://www.parade.com/news/all-america/2010/top-10-high-school-football-programs.html?index=11

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/49223-top-10-high-school-football-programs-of-all-time

Permian is barely hanging on to greatest Texas programs status.

Also, Columbia should not be on the list.

In the O's, I'd add Oxford, Mississippi over one of the others.

Ole' Miss follows their team, and that is beyond question the prettiest college towns in the country.

If you ever go there on a gameday Saturday, I know you will agree.....trust me, you will....it's beyond magic.

You are good at research.....do some on Oxford....it's special.

I agree. But to whoever called their fans loyal, you're crazy.

Permian is barely hanging on to greatest Texas programs status.

Again....this is historical. Not just this week's/years poll.

Do you know of a high school program that has their kind of tradition?

I mean, Massillon and McKinley have not had a ton of success lately....but tradition certainly keeps that going.

Also, Columbia should not be on the list.

Well,I am inclined to keep it.

But...my father in law has since passed away since this list was originally made, so I no longer really have the personal attachment to USC as I did before. This was just a tribute to him (not a real attachment of mine). If you think it should go out, who should go in?

They're tied for 7th in most state championships in Texas.

How have you never been to an OSU game?

I assume you are talking to me?

When you say "they" are you talking about Odessa Periman...or someone else?

And, on another note...I know that Friday Night Lights is based on Permian....but what about the Odessa HS in "Heroes" is that supposed to be Permian or the other Odessa HS....Odessa High?

And, no, I have never been to an OSU game. Numerous opportunities....preferred to watch on TV

Ole Miss belongs, pure and simple. Just don't kick off another team from the SEC. College football rules. As Zombo said, Miami is a shit place

I know we have been through this..... I did put Ole Miss on if you recall.....in spite of a lack of a tradition of excellence. Right here, right now seems like the best they have ever been.

And no, I think I have to keep Miami. It is still the location of both a very successful NFL franchise, a successful college program, and successful high school programs.

Winning has to be a factor as well as pomp and circumstance.

Wargo and you can collaborate on who should be left out. ( I chose Tenn.....but I am open to discussion. I also changed and replaced KC with Baltimore)

I assume you are talking to me?

When you say "they" are you talking about Odessa Periman...or someone else?

And, on another note...I know that Friday Night Lights is based on Permian....but what about the Odessa HS in "Heroes" is that supposed to be Permian or the other Odessa HS....Odessa High?

And, no, I have never been to an OSU game. Numerous opportunities....preferred to watch on TV

Yes I was.

Yes they have two schools. Though it isn't the biggest rivalry around. That would be Permian and Led. Side note: I was at UT's stadium to watch Cedric Benson lead Lee past my high school for the state title when I was like 10.

I know we have been through this..... I did put Ole Miss on if you recall.....in spite of a lack of a tradition of excellence. Right here, right now seems like the best they have ever been.

And no, I think I have to keep Miami. It is still the location of both a very successful NFL franchise, a successful college program, and successful high school programs.

Winning has to be a factor as well as pomp and circumstance.

Wargo and you can collaborate on who should be left out. ( I chose Tenn.....but I am open to discussion. I also changed and replaced KC with Baltimore)

Miami belongs due to HS talent alone. I went to the vaunted Miami Northwestern versus Southlake Carroll (Dallas dynasty) game at SMU in 07. Northwestern was said to be the most talented team of all time. They had backups with D1 scholarships and I think 8 Miami signees.

I'm not a fan of U of Washington, or the Seahawks, but that's a great fan base up there.

Also, Morgantown WVa. is a cool place to catch a game.

I have been to both stadiums (not to a game....just to walk around). Husky stadium has a very beautiful setting, and those 'eers fans are avid......but I wouldn't put either in top 30. Add to honorable mention.

• 11 months later...

I don't know. I don't think I can agree to removing South Carolina. That is my father in laws team as he lives nearby. That is actually the one college stadium I have been to as we went to games with him a few times. In fact, other than an Akron U game (my alma mater), I don't think I have actually been to any other college games. Never been to an Ohio State game.

I should like to go to a Trinity Univ. (TX) game because my daughter is now a cheerleader for them, but that is 1500 miles away. Maybe someday.

And I DID make it to a Trinity game last year....the final game that my daughter cheered for.

(again, remember, Trinity...alma mater of Browns 1st round draft pick Marvin Upshaw)

I have been to both stadiums (not to a game....just to walk around). Husky stadium has a very beautiful setting, and those 'eers fans are avid......but I wouldn't put either in top 30. Add to honorable mention.

I've driven through WVA in years past but never made it to Mountineer-land, my old Alma Mater YSU played them this year in football talked to a few people who said it was nice but HOT! YSU gave them a good game but 1-A vs 1-AA is always a tough draw.

Speaking of nice campus facilities the YSU I started at in 1968 was nothing compared to what they have now! The planitarium that my brother taught at and improved way back is celebrating it's 50th anniversary.

The educational facilities have vastly improved but the student and sporting venues are as good as there are in any 1-AA school anywhere especially the indoor football, track and multiuse building is just beautiful.

Check it out if ANY of you are in the area.

http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/watts

http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/stambaugh_stadium

http://www.wbplanetarium.org/for-more-information

http://www.ysu.edu/campus360.html

• 5 months later...

Oakland/East Bay, California. The Raiders, the Hell's Angels of the NFL, along with their crazy fan make the East Bay area a natural for this list. The icing on the cake however is the nearby Concord DeLaSalle High School which has won a record 6 USA Today National High School Championships. Plus, Cal ( or UC-Berkely if you prefer) is an upcoming progam that spent loads to improve their stadium.

I hear that the Raiders are going to be getting some help/relief when it comes to their attempted move to Las Vegas.

If indeed the Raiders do move, should I remove the East Bay area from the 30/31 top spot list?

If I did that, what would be the candidates to replace it?

I guess I must have done good job with this. Not one person has quarrelled with my selections.

How about this...if I narrow it down to the Top Ten in order, then I, personally, would make these selections:

1. Stark County, Ohio

2. Green Bay, Wisc.

3. South Bend, Ind.

4. Cleveland, Ohio

5. Columbus, Ohio

6. Pittsburgh Pa.

7. Oakland/East Bay

8. Tuscaloosa

9. Miami

10. Odessa

Convince me otherwise.

Columbus higher than Pitt?

Only one player from Columbus in the HOF?

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/VAmBYNu0NkWDkoYmBIDzwA/states-with-most-nfl-hall-of-famers.htm

Professional football was born in Western Pa!

BTW you missed George Blanda in your list of QB's from Western Pa.

What a stellar career he had. An unheard of 26 seasons, retiring at the age of 48, and ironically played his last NFL game in Pittsburgh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Blanda

There are many more QB's from Western Pa. who have achieved lesser status... among them Super Bowl winner Jeff Hostettler, and Babe Pirilli who ironically was the back up QB in Super Bowl III...to another Pennsylvanian, Joe Namath.

Western Pa. the hotbed of NFL head coaches as well....

The Browns beloved Marty Shottenheimer, Mike McCarthy, Mike Ditka, Marvin Lewis, Bill Cowher, Ted Marchibroda, Chuck Knox, Joe Walton, Joe Bugle, Dave Wannstadt, Todd Haley..all from Western Pa. Six head coaches from Western Pa. were coaching in the NFL at the same time.

Funny how it took a Cleveland guy Chuck Noll to turn the Steelers into a winner, while it still remains to this day that a Pittsburgh guy named Marty was the last Browns coach to make that team relevant and a SB contender.

one of the best places to watch the NFL draft is Canton Mike's mancave....

Absolutely Cal! It's also not a bad place to drink beer, chow and add to the FLABS (acro for Flugel's abs). I'm not a gluten-free kind of guy; but hearing Kessler's name way up in round 3 almost reversed off every calorie I consumed...

It was fun to meet Westside Steve and his lady; some guy named Niedermeyer "WITHOUT THAT DAMN PLEDGE PIN"; Mr and Mrs Canton Mike as well as Mr and Mrs Calfoxsies for the first time.

Archived