THE BROWNS BOARD

The incovenient truth about the ghettos social breakdown

StinkHole

Brilliant article by a brilliant man Thomas Sowell.

When the recorded fatal shooting of a fleeing man in South Carolina brought instant condemnation by whites and blacks alike, and by the most conservative as well as the most liberal commentators, that moment of mutual understanding was very fleeting, as if mutual understanding were something to be avoided, as a threat to a vision of us against them that was more popular.

That paragraph struck me the most, that when there is mutual understanding it must be avoided. Its boring. "Us against them" is better. Lets manufacture a bogus "cause" to place blame elsewhere other than where it belongs.

The rest of the article is common knowledge to most conservatives, while to liberals it contains those facts and truths they don't like to hear.

Good thing Sowell is black, otherwise liberal dickwads would cry racist to the nth degree.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/417899/inconvenient-truth-about-ghetto-communities-social-breakdown-thomas-sowell

In response to a question about this a while ago, I posted this, and it pretty much sums up how I feel on this:

"It honest to goodness drives me crazy. You have a two party system which has now basically devolved to each party taking opposite stances on every issue. You ask a standard republican voter to name something Obama has got right in his presidency and they'd be hard pressed to name something I'm sure. And vice versa for liberals/Bush.

Every issue gets politicised whether it should be or not."

There should be mutual understanding on a whole lot of things, but there just isn't. I'd like you (Obama-haters) to try to name something good that he's done since he's been in office. And the liberals - something good that GWB did while he was there?

For me, Bush Jr did good work on immigration, civil rights, and actually handled 9/11 quite well, in retrospect, not resulting to xenophobia, anti-muslim rhetoric that would have been very easy to do to satisfy his base.

Generally, if a leader's base disagrees with something they do, I find that's usually a good indicator of them doing something right.

Hey I thought your challenge was a valid

one and probably deserved its own thread. I just didn't get the big connection between the ghettos etc etc etc

WSS

As I said, I was going by the italicised paragraph, which itself didn't have much to do with the ghettos. I thought OP was trying to make a deeper point than 'black people are bad' or whatever it was ;)

I think Chris missed the part about Sewell being black.

Major hijack.

So I should respond differently to someone dependent on the colour of their skin? ;)

But sure, if you think it should be another thread, feel free to split it.

GFTChris - instead of Metcalf up the middle you chose the veer play. ....

If the Republicans so opposed the Democrats it would be wonderfull to see Boehner grow a sack and start impeachment procedings. But they share too many goals.

As for the breakdown of order in the ghetto I'll directly blame that on LBJs great society and a breakdown in mores that leads to one parent homes - or often granny raising grandchildren.

GFTChris - instead of Metcalf up the middle you chose the veer play. ....

If the Republicans so opposed the Democrats it would be wonderfull to see Boehner grow a sack and start impeachment procedings. But they share too many goals.

As for the breakdown of order in the ghetto I'll directly blame that on LBJs great society and a breakdown in mores that leads to one parent homes - or often granny raising grandchildren.

True, and that was piggybacked on top of the FDR systems that promoted single-parent families. Sad made a point about the Civil Rights Act but it's hard to imagine that a voting bloc would be dumb enough to believe LBJ really wanted to sign that.

But the free society and the Civil Rights Act worldwide closer on the historical plane.

WSS

So I should respond differently to someone dependent on the colour of their skin? ;)

But sure, if you think it should be another thread, feel free to split it.

I suspect if you were responding to s person you knew had a brown colored skin you'd fall all over yourself to agree vehemently with everything they said possibly with a large egg sucking grin.

I suspect if you were responding to s person you knew had a brown colored skin you'd fall all over yourself to agree vehemently with everything they said possibly with a large egg sucking grin.

Then I suspect you don't know me very well.

I don't pore over these theads like some of you fellas do. When something catches my eye especially when it sets off my bullshit detector I comment. I've seen time and time again perfectly intelligent liberals become shameless sycophants whenever some halfwit starts spouting off in order to avoid being called racist which is a leftist nightmare scenario.

I don't pore over these theads like some of you fellas do. When something catches my eye especially when it sets off my bullshit detector I comment. I've seen time and time again perfectly intelligent liberals become shameless sycophants whenever some halfwit starts spouting off in order to avoid being called racist which is a leftist nightmare scenario.

Fair enough for not going through every thread, I don't do that. But if you're going to call someone out like that, maybe skim back a little to make sure you're on to something beforehand.

True, and that was piggybacked on top of the FDR systems that promoted single-parent families. Sad made a point about the Civil Rights Act but it's hard to imagine that a voting bloc would be dumb enough to believe LBJ really wanted to sign that.

But the free society and the Civil Rights Act worldwide closer on the historical plane.

WSS

And the result of single parent families...

"Just about every negative social outcome is directly and strongly related to fatherlessness. Whether you are talking about unemployment, illiteracy, crime, or drug dependency, the absence of a father is a principal driving factor." - Mike Adams, Ph.D., criminology.

And the result of single parent families...

"Just about every negative social outcome is directly and strongly related to fatherlessness. Whether you are talking about unemployment, illiteracy, crime, or drug dependency, the absence of a father is a principal driving factor." - Mike Adams, Ph.D., criminology.

It would be interesting to know, when the trend of single parent families took off?

It would be interesting to know, when the trend of single parent families took off?

Sowell touched upon it in the article...prior to the 60's blacks had 2 parent households, low crime rates, low black on black crime.

But post 1964 was the rise of welfare and entitlements, which brought with it the rise of crime, illegitimate births, apathy etc.

Sowell touched upon it in the article...prior to the 60's blacks had 2 parent households, low crime rates, low black on black crime.

But post 1964 was the rise of welfare and entitlements, which brought with it the rise of crime, illegitimate births, apathy etc.

So there are no white single family homes?

That article talks about married parents, not necessarily cohabiting parents. I don't doubt the number of single parent families is still very high, though.

So if we accept the premise that single parent families are a bad thing, and that there's probably a decent chance that the single-parent-ness is as a result of divorce (in those cases where the couple were married in the first place), is it fair to say that divorce is contributing negatively to society?

N.B. - I don't think it is, just trying to get some intelligent debate.

Archived