THE BROWNS BOARD

good reason to quit rooting for the Jets

Westside Steve

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move by the Jets talent-wise, but here goes another QB controversy in the Big Apple.

Michael Vick is the better QB, and knows MM system. He will be the presumed starter, especially if they do indeed trade for Desean Jackson. That said, Vick won't make it through an entire season, and will give Smith time to learn the system through Vick. Win-Win, IMO.

Ultimately, as a Jets fan, I hope Vick makes it through the season, and they pick up Bryce Petty in 2015.

hawk is a visitor.

tattenbaum screwed the jets pretty good with some dumb moves. hopefully milner will work out for you guys. i still believe in the kid.

vick might see 4 starts before his brittle-ass is broken again (if that). think they signed him more as a mentor........but talk about putting extra pressure on a kid.

johnson has got to be one of the dumbest owners in the league.

I agree with the ESPN take- the Jets knew they were dumping Sanchez, there would be about zero interest in a trade considering his contract, so why not release him earlier, when the FA market in qbs was more open? He has about zero place to go now- I doubt the Browns have much interest & Pettine has seen him firsthand so has a pretty good idea about him. Someone may try to pick him up if there's an injury in preseason.

So not a too classy move by the Jets.

And regarding Vick? Seems that a couple years in the slammer has taught him to change his ways- by all reports a model citizen now. What's worse, killing dogs, or watching your pals kill people (Ray Lewis)?

Aside from the dog fighting thing he can't stay healthy and he throws a lot of picks.

I think it's not bad assuming they want to keep grooming geno. I just think after Vick's done they'll come to the realization that grooming geno was the wrong choice to begin with.

He did the crime and time, move on. This coming from a pit bull owner.

I actually agree and tony dungy loves the guy which goes a long way for me. I got my first amstaff when i was 7 and he lived to be 17. My parents have one that is 6 now. I wish i had on now but several years ago we had a emaciated lab show up on our front door that we took in and we already had our doberman pup. I will get a female soon enough tho. Great, great dogs andhorribly misunderstood.

Michael Vick released; time to remember what Vick actually did to dogs

099b09aa45f6219316d56bbce47229f1.jpg?ito
Advertisement
May 19, 2009
michael-vick-400a043007.jpg

Vick will spend the remaining weeks of his prison term safely in his own home

UPDATED The L.A. Times reports thatMichael Vick has been released from prison, the rest of his sentence to be served at his 3,538-square-foot home in Hampton, Va., with the expectation that he will be officially released from Federal custody on July 20th.

There has been widespread speculation as to whether Vick will return to his lucrative football career, and which teams would be willing to take the PR hit involved in hiring him. Although NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell characterized Vick's actions as "not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible,” he has declined to make a decision on whether Vick could be reinstated as an NFL player until his sentence is officially over.

Some commentators have argued that Vick should be allowed to play because he “made a mistake” and has now “paid his debt.” Perhaps these people are under the mistaken impression that all Michael Vick did was fight some Pit Bulls. But dog fighting, as cruel a crime as it is, is the least of what Michael Vick did.

Purnell_Peace_Photo_Helber_AP.jpg

Purnell Peace conspired with Vick, Phillips and Tony Taylor to kill dogs

According to the prosecutor's statement of facts in the case, between 2002 and 2007 Michael Vick and his co-conspirators Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor killed thirteen dogs by various methods including wetting one dog down and electrocuting her, hanging, drowning and shooting others and, in at least one case, by slamming a dog’s body to the ground.

Michael Vick didn't make a mistake. He didn't "make a bad choice." Over a period of five years he forced dogs into deadly fights, and he personally killed, or conspired to kill, thirteen dogs. He didn't pick a quick, painless method of killing, but instead chose a variety of means that qualify as torture. Pit Bulls are powerful dogs. Imagine how hard you would have to work to kill a Pit Bull by forcibly drowning him.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution also reports, "Sometimes [the dogs] were starved to make them more vicious in the pit."

And Michael Vick didn’t confine the abuse and killing to his own Pit Bulls.

Quanis_Phillips_Photo_Helber_AP.jpg

Quanis Phillips, like Vick and Peace, "thought it was funny" to place family pets in the ring with trained fighting dogs

According to a November 2008 ESPN.com news story, a report prepared by the USDA's inspector general-investigations division revealed that Vick, Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor also put family pet dogs into the ring with trained pit bulls.

The report, dated Aug. 28, 2008, says, "Vick, Peace and Phillips thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to [Vick’s] Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs."

Supporters say Vick apologized for his actions. But in his famous press conference apology, Vick admitted only to fighting dogs, despite the fact that he pled guilty to all charges, including the killings. He admitted to “making mistakes” and “immature acts.” But deliberately and repeatedly planning dog fights and repeated premeditated violent killings of dogs are not “mistakes.” They are not the acts of someone who’s merely immature. They are the acts of a sociopath and a predator.

If we can't admit that the crimes to which Michael Vick pled guilty make one a bad person, then we have no definition of morality anymore.

Vick supporters who want to see him play football again should, if they’re being honest, say “We don’t care what Vick did to dogs, we just want to watch him play football.” But please don’t say he apologized, nor that he paid his debt. You can’t pay a debt you’ve never admitted you owe.

Leo_therapy_dog(1).jpg

Former Vick fighting dog Leo now acts as a therapy dog, comforting cancer patients Photo: MSNBC.com

During the period when Michael Vick was in prison, two of the Vick dogs are became certified therapy dogs. They comfort the sick, children and the elderly. These dogs, who were never criminals, who never chose to hurt or kill others, are truly rehabilitated.

A man who can look a dog in the face and deliberately pick the most brutal and prolonged way of killing that dog, for nothing more than being insufficiently vicious – I think most people could reasonably wonder if such a man could ever genuinely be rehabilitated.

I agree with the ESPN take- the Jets knew they were dumping Sanchez, there would be about zero interest in a trade considering his contract, so why not release him earlier, when the FA market in qbs was more open? He has about zero place to go now- I doubt the Browns have much interest & Pettine has seen him firsthand so has a pretty good idea about him. Someone may try to pick him up if there's an injury in preseason.

So not a too classy move by the Jets.

And regarding Vick? Seems that a couple years in the slammer has taught him to change his ways- by all reports a model citizen now. What's worse, killing dogs, or watching your pals kill people (Ray Lewis)?

my sentiments exactly

<p>

Michael Vick released; time to remember what Vick actually did to dogs

099b09aa45f6219316d56bbce47229f1.jpg?ito

8cd1b4c52aee62eeb14e9fb1220046e3.jpg?ito

Kate WoodvioletLA Pet Rescue Examiner

Advertisement

May 19, 2009

michael-vick-400a043007.jpg

Vick will spend the remaining weeks of his prison term safely in his own home

UPDATED The L.A. Times reports thatMichael Vick has been released from prison, the rest of his sentence to be served at his 3,538-square-foot home in Hampton, Va., with the expectation that he will be officially released from Federal custody on July 20th.

There has been widespread speculation as to whether Vick will return to his lucrative football career, and which teams would be willing to take the PR hit involved in hiring him. Although NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell characterized Vick's actions as "not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible, he has declined to make a decision on whether Vick could be reinstated as an NFL player until his sentence is officially over.

Some commentators have argued that Vick should be allowed to play because he made a mistake and has now paid his debt. Perhaps these people are under the mistaken impression that all Michael Vick did was fight some Pit Bulls. But dog fighting, as cruel a crime as it is, is the least of what Michael Vick did.

Purnell_Peace_Photo_Helber_AP.jpg

Purnell Peace conspired with Vick, Phillips and Tony Taylor to kill dogs

According to the prosecutor's statement of facts in the case, between 2002 and 2007 Michael Vick and his co-conspirators Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor killed thirteen dogs by various methods including wetting one dog down and electrocuting her, hanging, drowning and shooting others and, in at least one case, by slamming a dogs body to the ground.

Michael Vick didn't make a mistake. He didn't "make a bad choice." Over a period of five years he forced dogs into deadly fights, and he personally killed, or conspired to kill, thirteen dogs. He didn't pick a quick, painless method of killing, but instead chose a variety of means that qualify as torture. Pit Bulls are powerful dogs. Imagine how hard you would have to work to kill a Pit Bull by forcibly drowning him.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution also reports, "Sometimes [the dogs] were starved to make them more vicious in the pit."

And Michael Vick didnt confine the abuse and killing to his own Pit Bulls.

Quanis_Phillips_Photo_Helber_AP.jpg

Quanis Phillips, like Vick and Peace, "thought it was funny" to place family pets in the ring with trained fighting dogs

According to a November 2008 ESPN.com news story, a report prepared by the USDA's inspector general-investigations division revealed that Vick, Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor also put family pet dogs into the ring with trained pit bulls.

The report, dated Aug. 28, 2008, says, "Vick, Peace and Phillips thought it was funny to watch the pit bull dogs belonging to [Vicks] Bad Newz Kennels injure or kill the other dogs."

Supporters say Vick apologized for his actions. But in his famous press conference apology, Vick admitted only to fighting dogs, despite the fact that he pled guilty to all charges, including the killings. He admitted to making mistakes and immature acts. But deliberately and repeatedly planning dog fights and repeated premeditated violent killings of dogs are not mistakes. They are not the acts of someone whos merely immature. They are the acts of a sociopath and a predator.

If we can't admit that the crimes to which Michael Vick pled guilty make one a bad person, then we have no definition of morality anymore.

Vick supporters who want to see him play football again should, if theyre being honest, say We dont care what Vick did to dogs, we just want to watch him play football. But please dont say he apologized, nor that he paid his debt. You cant pay a debt youve never admitted you owe.

Leo_therapy_dog(1).jpg

Former Vick fighting dog Leo now acts as a therapy dog, comforting cancer patients Photo: MSNBC.com

During the period when Michael Vick was in prison, two of the Vick dogs are became certified therapy dogs. They comfort the sick, children and the elderly. These dogs, who were never criminals, who never chose to hurt or kill others, are truly rehabilitated.

A man who can look a dog in the face and deliberately pick the most brutal and prolonged way of killing that dog, for nothing more than being insufficiently vicious I think most people could reasonably wonder if such a man could ever genuinely be rehabilitated.

while we all think this may be one of the most cruel and outright disgusting crimes a person can commit, you would not believe how widely accepted dogfighting and cockfighting is in the south.

Personally I have a handful of teams who i might root for if their success in no way effect the success of the Cleveland Browns. Since Joe Namath the Jets have been one of those teams.

As for Vick yes he has paid his debt to society and has the right to work in his field. On the other hand, again personally, I feel that torturing animals, especially dogs, to death for fun is some sick shit.

Actually even more fucked up than hanging around with thugs who killed another thug as in the case of ray lewis who has, by the way, also paid his debt to society.

I'm glad Vick was not picked up by the Cleveland Browns.

WSS

while we all think this may be one of the most cruel and outright disgusting crimes a person can commit, you would not believe how widely accepted dogfighting and cockfighting is in the south.

and the majority of the people involved in those are..............??

i remember clinton portis, that dumb motherfucker, when he was playing with the redskins jumped to vicks defense by saying in the locker room "i means it was just some dogs....!" boy the redskin PR lawyers and his agent had him out front the next day with some disclaimer apology saying he didn't mean it, it's just that the 'blacks' down south are raised in another way.

what way would that be clinton, that killing innocent animals and torturing them in the process is what you do down south? and when i mean south i'm talking the sticks of alabama and mississippi. where there's nothing else to do except rob people or sell drugs.

well the 'blacks' who had my dog as a puppy kicked in his jaw and threw acid on his head. so it's NOT just down south. it's about having a dog to walk down the street with that will scare the living shit out of anyone thus giving them xtra street cred. and if in their mind the dog(s) they are training ain't up for 'the kill' guess what they get?

in no way is it the same as shooting some thug who was at a bar prob talking shit out the side of his mouth. the animal has no say in what is going to happen to them. completely innocent.

vick will burn. hopefully it's by masked men that break into his house and set him on fire.

i remember clinton portis, that dumb motherfucker, when he was playing with the redskins jumped to vicks defense by saying in the locker room "i means it was just some dogs....!" boy the redskin PR lawyers and his agent had him out front the next day with some disclaimer apology saying he didn't mean it, it's just that the 'blacks' down south are raised in another way.

what way would that be clinton, that killing innocent animals and torturing them in the process is what you do down south? and when i mean south i'm talking the sticks of alabama and mississippi. where there's nothing else to do except rob people or sell drugs.

well the 'blacks' who had my dog as a puppy kicked in his jaw and threw acid on his head. so it's NOT just down south. it's about having a dog to walk down the street with that will scare the living shit out of anyone thus giving them xtra street cred. and if in their mind the dog(s) they are training ain't up for 'the kill' guess what they get?

in no way is it the same as shooting some thug who was at a bar prob talking shit out the side of his mouth. the animal has no say in what is going to happen to them. completely innocent.

vick will burn. hopefully it's by masked men that break into his house and set him on fire.

its freakin sick, and I also believe anyone involved in that shit deserve to burn.

Good on you for taking that dog in. Anyone who thinks this fuck head Vick did his time is nuts. He should be banned from Football in my mind. Anyone who tortures dogs or any animal for that fact is a sick fuck who should have the same thing done to them. Thats how most serial killers start out by the way.

Thats how most serial killers start out by the way.

proven fact.

he probably would have murdered someone by now, if not for his talent (getting him out of the jungle). doubt if he would have went serial, more a thug thing. he doesn't have the smarts to get away with murder.

I hope everyone talking shit about Vick is a Vegan... cause if you eat a steak or any other meat, then you're just a bunch of hypocrites. I would post some slaughter house tapes but they are just stomach turning. I'm not a vegan btw, and i'm also not a hypocrite. Maybe we should have the cows and pigs fight and only butcher the loser?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

I hope everyone talking shit about Vick is a Vegan... cause if you eat a steak or any other meat, then you're just a bunch of hypocrites. I would post some slaughter house tapes but they are just stomach turning. I'm not a vegan btw, and i'm also not a hypocrite. Maybe we should have the cows and pigs fight and only butcher the loser?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

bullshit. Its not near as disgusting.If slaughter houses torture the animals then theyre some cruel sons of bitches too....also theyre not eating the dogs so the death isnt serving any purpose.

Archived