THE BROWNS BOARD

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Class

The Gipper

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nirvana is the best and single most important band in the HOF.

Ahh....No. That would be The Beatles....and no legitimate industry person would deny it.

The Beatles, in fact, were the #2 best selling artist of the 2000-2009 decade.....and influenced probably every single other band in there..

I mean, even if I didn't like them, I would have to acknowledge that.

I would say that Nirvana is extremely influential and important.

Probably at least in the same league with the beatles elvis presley and frank sinatra. Certainly not as influential and important as other members of that league but still...

Up to the individual to decide who is best though.

WSS

I would say that Nirvana is extremely influential and important.

Probably at least in the same league with the beatles elvis presley and frank sinatra. Certainly not as influential and important as other members of that league but still...

Up to the individual to decide who is best though.

WSS

Got to put people like the cure and led zep in that discussion as well. Maybe not the cure up there with the beatles, but Led Zep certainly are around there.

absolutely Led Zeppelin. As well as the Rolling Stones David Bowie Bob Dylan Bruce Springsteen the Eagles...

along with the Beatles Frank Sinatra Elvis Presley...

I need to round out the ten most important and influential of all time... Maybe your Nirvana belongs in that group? Johnny Cash?

WSS

Got to put people like the cure and led zep in that discussion as well. Maybe not the cure up there with the beatles, but Led Zep certainly are around there.

Led zepplin is a great band. They in no way defined an era like nirvana. Not even in the same league in terms of importance and influence on their peers.

Led zepplin is a great band. They in no way defined an era like nirvana. Not even in the same league in terms of importance and influence on their peers.

Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath certainly defined their era. If it wasn't for them, there would be no Nirvana or Metallica for instance.

No not at all.I disagree completely and totally. Especially about black Sabbath who are just terrible. And I posit that Pink Floyd was more influential than either of them.

Well, that's your opinion on Sabbath. Every one of those "countdown" type shows, like the top 100 albums for instance, the modern hard rock groups all reference Sabbath & Tony Iommi. Albums like Vol.4 & Sabotage, which didn't get a lot of airplay are truly awesome.

Yeah and its art and if I hate them and think they're utter bottom feeding garbage and that heavy metal is the most horrible noise and Its fans are the dregs of society that's my prerogative. Where, exactly, though do you see the influence of black Sabbath in Nirvana? If a British band could have been said to be influential to them its way more pistols than Sabbath. And Sabbath is not fit to lick mettalica's horrible shitty-band boots.

Early releases

Nirvana released its first single, "Love Buzz", in November 1988 on the Seattle independent record label Sub Pop.[19] The following month, the band began recording its debut album, Bleach, with local producer Jack Endino.[20]Bleach was highly influenced by the heavy dirge-rock of the Melvins and Mudhoney, 1980s punk rock, and the 1970s heavy metal of Black Sabbath. Novoselic said in a 2001 interview with Rolling Stone that the band had played a tape in their van while on tour that had an album by The Smithereens on one side and an album by the black metal band Celtic Frost on the other, and noted that the combination probably played an influence as well.[21] The money for the recording sessions for Bleach, listed as $606.17 on the album sleeve, was supplied by Jason Everman, who was subsequently brought into the band as the second guitarist. Though Everman did not actually play on the album, he received a credit on Bleach because, according to Novoselic, they "wanted to make him feel more at home in the band".[22] Just prior to the album's release, Nirvana insisted on signing an extended contract with Sub Pop, making the band the first to do so with the label.[23]

^^from Wikipedia Cysco...for what it's worth

Wikipedia is often cited as a highly accurate source of anything, but that's just another person's opinion same as mine. I read some accolades for Sabbath in the interim and theres no doubt they're enduringly popular but I still hate them and think they're just truly truly awful. I saw them live at the first ozfest as well and that was just terrible. I hate ozzy, I think that's the issue. I still can't agree they in any way defined a musical era. They certainly didn't define the seventies, mid late or otherwise and they in no way defined the 80s in the slightest. Not like the Beatles dominated an era or Michael Jackson or Nirvana or Elvis. Those are acts that defined a period of music. I don't put led zepplin in the seventies on that level, although theyre way way closer than Sabbath. Would you honestly put Sabbath in that crew?

I think you guys let your own tastes and emotions run away with you. I wonder why no one has mentioned Tupac Shakur or Run DMC? At least one of those seminal rap artist has more impact in the world of popular music and more influence then many others no? Whether or not you despise every note they play, or say.

WSS

. Would you honestly put Sabbath in that crew?

Yes, I honestly would, and yes, by the time Ozzfests rolled around Ozzy was well past his prime, so I understand your anti-Ozzy take.

My opinion won't change, I think Sabbath & Zeppelin defined heavy metal.Like I pointed out earlier, critics say that too. The 7 albums Sabbath cut with Ozzy before they broke up (Ozzy's fault) are among my favorites. The album "Paranoid" defines heavy metal all by itself, IMHO.

WSS- I won't comment on the rap stuff, because its not my cup of tea.

Peace, out.

Black Sabbath are without a doubt one of the biggest influences on heavy metal you'll find in the UK and probably anywhere else. According to wiki - yes it's editable by anyone, but all references are cited and it's actually quite a reliable source of information these days:

Black Sabbath have influenced many acts including Iron Maiden,[159] Slayer,[7] Metallica,[7] Nirvana,[160]Korn,[7] Mayhem,[7] Venom,[7] Judas Priest,[161] Guns N' Roses,[161] Soundgarden,[162] Body Count,[163] Alice in Chains,[164] Anthrax,[165] Disturbed,[166] Death,[7] Opeth,[167] Pantera,[7] Megadeth,[168] The Smashing Pumpkins,[169] Slipknot,[170] Foo Fighters,[171] Fear Factory,[172] Candlemass,[173] Godsmack,[174] and Van Halen.[175] Two gold selling tribute albums have been released, Nativity in Black Volume 1 & 2, including covers by Sepultura, White Zombie, Type O Negative, Faith No More, Machine Head, Primus, Raven Lord,System of a Down, and Monster Magnet.[176]

Lamb of God's Chris Adler said: "If anybody who plays heavy metal says that they weren't influenced by Black Sabbath's music, then I think that they're lying to you. I think all heavy metal music was, in some way, influenced by what Black Sabbath did."

On top of that, as far as I'm aware, Black Sabbath practically invented the diminished fifth, at least in heavy metal terms. It's not about whether they were good or not, but they were extremely influential in the formative stages of heavy metal, along with Led Zep and maybe Deep Purple.
Like steve, I don't know so much about the rap thing, so I can't comment.

The way I'm defining an era in my mind is something like "when you think of this general time period you think of...x" If you were doing a two minute recap of an entire decade you would back it with this band's song.

50's - Elvis

60's - Beatles

70's - ? Maybe led zepplin, I guess. Maybe somebody like the bee-gees.

80's - Michael Jackson

90's - Nirvana

00's -?

10's -?

But that's extremely subjective. For example you could have your list as it is, which is difficult to disagree with, and then someone else could come up with a list like:

50's - Elvis - difficult to disagree
60's - Rolling Stones
70's - Abba
80's - Iron Maiden
90's - Generic Boyband like Backstreet Boys

Which might be what they think of for a given era. And of course it differs country to country as well.

As for Metallica defining heavy metal, it depends which decade of heavy metal you're talking about. Starting out with Led Zep and Sabbath, onto NWOBHM bands like Maiden and Motorhead, who were defining heavy metal decades before Metallica came in to existence. No doubting that they were among the biggest of their time, though.

The way I'm defining an era in my mind is something like "when you think of this general time period you think of...x" If you were doing a two minute recap of an entire decade you would back it with this band's song.

50's - Elvis Check

60's - Beatles Check

70's - ? Maybe led zepplin, I guess. Maybe somebody like the bee-gees. Bruce Springsteen..Queen...and others?

80's - Michael Jackson

90's - Nirvana

00's -?

10's -?

My view is that no act has "dominated" any era since Elvis dominated the 50s and The Beatles the 60s. Starting in the 1970s music because more diverse and more fragmented. The BeeGees very well may have sold more records than anyone else in that decade, and had as many hit songs as anyone....but disco by no means dominated. The same with Michael Jackson. Madonna was as big in the 80s as he was Does the act that sells the most make him/her/them "dominant"? Mariah Carey I bet sold more records in the 90s than Nirvana....should that be the Mariah Carey decade? (No way). Are the 2000s the Eminem Decade since he sold the most?

I think you just have to conclude that a whole variety of acts are "popular" within their genre..and not dominant overall.

Decade Number 1 Artist Number 2 Artist Number 3 Artist Number 4 Artist Number 5 Artist

1900s Billy Murray Harry MacDonough Haydn Quartet Byron G Harlan Arthur Collins

1910s Peerless Quartet American Quartet Prince's Orchestra Arthur Collins & Byron G Harlan John McCormack 1920s Paul Whiteman Al Jolson Ben Selvin Bessie Smith Marion Harris

1930s Bing Crosby Guy Lombardo Duke Ellington Louis Armstrong Tommy Dorsey

1940s Bing Crosby Glenn Miller Frank Sinatra Jimmy Dorsey Harry James

1950s Elvis Presley Frank Sinatra Nat King Cole Miles Davis Perry Como

1960s The Beatles Elvis Presley The Rolling Stones Bob Dylan The Beach Boys

1970s Elton John The Rolling Stones Pink Floyd Abba Led Zeppelin

1980s Prince Madonna U2 Michael Jackson Bruce Springsteen

1990s Mariah Carey Madonna Celine Dion REM U2

2000s Eminem Madonna Britney Spears Coldplay U2

Above are the Top 5 selling artists of each decade since the 1900 decade...for what its worth.

(That Bill Murray sure gets around, no?)

By the way...I understand these sales deal with new releases. e.g. The Beatles sold in the 2000s more than anyone but Eminem....but they were all "older released songs" not really new stuff.

Archived