THE BROWNS BOARD

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Class

The Gipper

The Rock Hall is nearing joke....Hall and Oates maker it yet Chicago and Bad Compamy don't??

Shoot....even Cat Stevens can make it yet Chicago....a groundbreaking band, or Bad Company with the greatest voice in Rock history, can't?

Joke.......move it out of Cleveland. It isn't worthy of the ground.

Again, all a matter of personal taste, clearly.

I was never a Chicago fan.....so I am ambivalent about them not being in there. Blood, Sweat, and Tears, to me were a similar...better, earlier act.

I liked Bad Company....but they were not....as you say "groundbreaking". The principals of that band were in other bands that perhaps better consideration: Free with Paul Rodgers, Mott the Hoople with Mick Ralphs.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The greatest voice in rock history? Are you high? That's not even up for debate and it certainly wasn't Paul Rodgers. That's ridiculous. No one...no one would say Paul Rodgers had a better voice than Freddie Mercury.

Roy Orbison? any number of others. That is also very much a matter of personal taste.

I cannot understand why Peter Gabriel has shown indifference to his earlier days with Genesis?

It was not from a lack of effort on the part of the group to include Gabriel with them on what was thier last tour in 2007, and he turned it down.....

I liked the early "new" group without Gabriel actually, with Collins as the front guy - but apart from his costume get ups on stage - the guy can really sing.

I cannot understand why Peter Gabriel has shown indifference to his earlier days with Genesis?

It was not from a lack of effort on the part of the group to include Gabriel with them on what was thier last tour in 2007, and he turned it down.....

I liked the early "new" group without Gabriel actually, with Collins as the front guy - but apart from his costume get ups on stage - the guy can really sing.

I doubt you guys got the ad in the states because it's for a british band, but since we're talking Genesis, you might like this quite surreal commercial (and if not, then just the music).

I'll agree Lambert has a great voice but he's no Freddie mercury. All one needs to do is watch live aid 85 and see how Freddie has the entire crowd eating out of his hand on radio Gaga to know this guy was a special once in a lifetime talent. Only Michael Jackson compares to mercury in my book.

I won't get into any matters of taste but I never thought Linda Ronstadt was that important or influential. Madonna certainly was and is. I would also think that Todd Rundgren has made enough of an impact on the industry to be included.

WSS

Steve, you know full well that they are not probably going to let a RRHOF class go by and not include women/minorities.

So she was not competing with every other musician out there, only with the other women musicians out there for the female slot.

So, from that stand point, she was probably a somewhat valid choice....if the RRHOF is going to go the politically correct route.

Other females that could have been considered:

Karen Carpenter/The Carpenters

Connie Francis

Annie Lennox/The Eurythmics

Janet Jackson

Suzi Quatro

Whitney Houston

Patsy Cline

Joan Baez

Nina Simone

Then you get into the issue of what is "Rock n Roll" . Barbara Streisand ain't in.....and she is one of the best, most popular, biggest selling artists (male or female) of all time.

I won't get into any matters of taste but I never thought Linda Ronstadt was that important or influential. Madonna certainly was and is. I would also think that Todd Rundgren has made enough of an impact on the industry to be included.

WSS

Didn't Todd Rundgren play/compose every instrument on "A Wizard/A True Star?" If that's true, I bet he's the only musician to do something like that ever.

FYI...I like Paul Rogers over Freddy Mercury, but maybe Jim Morrison had a better voice than either of those 2.

Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

It's all a load of pollocks ;)

I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

I don't think Elvis was as skilled a musician as freddy, in terms of instruments, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him.

Elvis played guitar and piano. What else would you like him to play?

Harpsichord, clarinet and triangle.

I just get the impression that FM was one of those guys who could just pick up and play any kind of instrument you gave him, and in a week be at a very high level.

Michael Jackson is someone I'd put in Freddy's league, though I personally think mercury was the greatest of all time

personally I think Steve Perry has a great voice which has gotten better through his solo career. I think Freddie Mercury has a great voice. I think we overlook another guy with a wonderful voice great song writing ability and most certainly an excellent performer. Elton John. Paul McCartney has a great voice. So does Eric Carmen.Lou Gramm has one of the best rock voices in the business so I'm not a big foreigner fan.

IMO of course.

Archived