THE BROWNS BOARD

2017 Rookie Mini-camp Thread

Tour2ma

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was from Alabama and fought for the Union?

Do the math.

If my greatgrandpappy was 17 in 1865 and died in his late 80's. So therefore he died in the late 30's, so James Hard was not he.

That second guy (James Hard) was the last known living documented Civil War veteran and he died in 1953.

Do the math.

If my greatgrandpappy was 17 in 1865 and died in his late 80's. So therefore he died in the late 30's, so James Hard was not he.

That second guy (James Hard) was the last known living documented Civil War veteran and he died in 1953.

Hmmmm.... Must have been an undocumented one I heard of though. Distinctly remember being in the back seat of my Dad's 1950 Ford circa 1959, and it came over the radio that the last living Civil War vet had just died. Let's see- if he was 109 in 1959, means he was born in 1850. Could have been a Bugle Boy, or something similar.

I absolutely loved reading that David Njoku immediately stood out, and people already calling him a physical freak. We needed athleticism badly on this team, and it's pretty obvious that our new regime places a high degree of importance on strength, speed, and agility. I honestly believe expectations should be tempered in terms of what Njoku's numbers will be, as rookie TE's typically don't have the impact that many fans desire, even when they are drafted high in the first round. Add in the fact that Njoku isn't even old enough to legally purchase alcohol, and it figures to stand that he will take a bit of time to develop. That's why I was extremely puzzled about Barnidge's release. While Gary completely contradicts our regime's "athletic approach", he was still a veteran that did things the right way on and off the field. He wasn't THAT expensive, and I would've liked to keep him another season. The guy to watch will be Seth Devalve, as he's entering his second season and actually showed some stuff last year when finally healthy. If he can get open and stay healthy, I think he can make some plays and move the chains for us.

It's also nice to read that Myles Garrett comes "as advertised", and while he can't do TOO much in a non-contact, controlled environment with fellow rookies, it's still nice to read that he's working hard, staying late, and dazzling people with his speed off the edge. Our radio show hosts described a play when Garrett burst off the line so quickly, that he almost caught the shotgun snap. While I'm sure that's somewhat of an exaggeration, it's still nice to hear. It's very difficult to see what you have in a pash rusher in a non-contact situation, but I also read that LT Rod Johnson "more or less held his own" against Garrett, when you consider the circumstances. Anybody expecting Garrett to perform similar to Joey Bosa's rookie year also needs to temper their expectations. Bosa put together a near historic season for a rookie, and it goes without saying that seasons like that don't come around very often. You can also expect Garrett to see double teams probably right out of the gates, and don't be surprised if Emmanuel Ogbah is the immediate beneficiary of Garrett's presence. Too many times QB's drifted away from Ogbah last year because there was no opposing pressure. That hopefully won't be the case this year.

Hmmmm.... Must have been an undocumented one I heard of though. Distinctly remember being in the back seat of my Dad's 1950 Ford circa 1959, and it came over the radio that the last living Civil War vet had just died. Let's see- if he was 109 in 1959, means he was born in 1850. Could have been a Bugle Boy, or something similar.

And if he was, he would have been around long enough to do the Boogie Woogie.

He was from Alabama and fought for the Union?

Hardly as majority occurrence, but was more common than folks know.

Different beliefs on the underlying issue(s) and different senses of loyalty hierarchy sometimes split families.

Times haven't changed all that much, have they?

You remembered correctly, but he was a fraud.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fake-war-stories-exposed/

EDIT: When I worked for the VA I had a list of "red flags" that I looked for to sort out the real from the fakes. The more red flags I heard from the same individual, the more likely their story turned out to be fabrication.

Good thing no one in Alabama considers the losers traitors then.

Along with the Emancipation Proclamation, Lincoln also issued a Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction for anyone that fought for the south once the union was re-established. Some hard liners didn't like this...but Lincoln did it anyway. So the issue was not what Alabama thought...but what Lincoln thought.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/lincoln-issues-proclamation-of-amnesty-and-reconstruction

Archived