THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Jackson is Dead

Zombo

Talented big play guy, sorry to see him go so young:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-ex-browns-ravens-wr-michael-jackson-killed-motorcycle-crash-153521528.html

Former Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Michael D. Jackson reportedly was killed in a motorcycle crash Friday morning, according to TMZ Sports. The report cites a confirmation from Louisiana State Police that Jackson, who turned 48 in April, was killed in the accident in Tangipahoa, La.

The report says Jackson was driving his 2013 Kawasaki motorcycle at a “high rate of speed” around 1 a.m. when a 20-year-old woman backed out of a parking spot and into the path of Jackson. He reportedly crashed into the woman’s driver-side door and killed her as well. The investigation into the crash continues.

Jackson, who played eight seasons in the NFL and led the league in receiving touchdowns in 1996, spoke with Shutdown Corner last summer about the move of the Browns franchise following the 1995 season and the tumultuous first year in Baltimore in the birth of the Ravens’ organization in the new city.

He was a college teammate of Brett Favre at Southern Mississippi and entered the NFL in 1991 with first-year Browns head coach Bill Belichick, playing five seasons there before finishing an injury-plagued career with the Ravens in 1998. Jackson caught 353 passes for 5,393 yards and 46 touchdowns — including the 14 league-leading scores in 1996 — over his eight seasons.

Jackson served as the mayor of Tangipahoa, his hometown, from 2009 to 2013.

Really... I feel for the woman's family. Michael made his choice with no regard for hers.

Just shows how fickle life can be sometimes that's for sure. MJ was putting his life at risk in an intentional, known manner. That poor girl was just backing out of a parking spot and she's gone.

Thoughts and prayers to the young girl's family.... She was 1 year younger than my daughter and can't imagine the pain. Killed by some selfish piece of shit doing what he wanted to do, when he wanted to do it.

Really... I feel for the woman's family. Michael made his choice with no regard for hers.

Absolutely.

Part of the problem with motorcycles is that people's brains don't register them.

They look left, they look right, no cars or trucks, they pull out. But there was a MOTORCYCLE! The brain just doesn't see it as a car or truck.

Now as a motorcycle rider, you need to be keenly aware of that.

...you'd have thought that at almost 50 years old HE-he would've been smarter than that.

:(:( RIP to both. Sorry to the families. I sat in this scary scenario as a teen. Lucky enough I was making a left turn into driveway with truck. When the biker's front end met my drivers rear truck bed. It swung the bikes back end around smashing my driver side back door, but just short of my drivers door. Never will forget the picture in my mind of the biker flying from my left, to over my hood, to in the right hand ditch. Biker never blacked out the whole time. But he was found to be drunk by officers. Sad but at 1 AM you got to wonder if alcohol was involved in either victims? 20 years of life taken by any persons poor judgement..inexcusable..Farewell

Absolutely.

Part of the problem with motorcycles is that people's brains don't register them.

They look left, they look right, no cars or trucks, they pull out. But there was a MOTORCYCLE! The brain just doesn't see it as a car or truck.

Now as a motorcycle rider, you need to be keenly aware of that.

...you'd have thought that at almost 50 years old HE-he would've been smarter than that.

My son wants to buy one this summer. I told him since he has the summer off as a teacher I would teach him all the things he needs to know BEFORE getting out into any major traffic or especially side roads.

Lesson 1: You are invisible to anything that moves, especially people who look right at you. It does not register in the human brain. Count on it.

Lesson 2: Escape routes and why there ALWAYS needs to be at least one updated for every moment you are on a motorcycle. You WILL use it some day regardless of how good a rider you become.

Lesson 3: Rain - I could spend days on this one-greatest enemy ever invented other than #1 above.

That's just for starters.

As a SoCal guy, I grew up racing Moto X and did so professionally in '83-'85 and I still ride today. I can unequivocally say that I would never ride a street bike, ever..... It's not a matter of if, but only a matter of when you will go down, and the bigger question is if you'll survive it or not.

Unfortunately for this young lady and her family, she was the innocent victim when a street boyracer ran out of talent.

As a SoCal guy, I grew up racing Moto X and did so professionally in '83-'85 and I still ride today. I can unequivocally say that I would never ride a street bike, ever..... It's not a matter of if, but only a matter of when you will go down, and the bigger question is if you'll survive it or not.

Unfortunately for this young lady and her family, she was the innocent victim when a street boyracer ran out of talent.

Then you and I are brothers in riding, me I'm just an idiot that follows the rules. Peace.

:(:( RIP to both. Sorry to the families. I sat in this scary scenario as a teen. Lucky enough I was making a left turn into driveway with truck. When the biker's front end met my drivers rear truck bed. It swung the bikes back end around smashing my driver side back door, but just short of my drivers door. Never will forget the picture in my mind of the biker flying from my left, to over my hood, to in the right hand ditch. Biker never blacked out the whole time. But he was found to be drunk by officers. Sad but at 1 AM you got to wonder if alcohol was involved in either victims? 20 years of life taken by any persons poor judgement..inexcusable..Farewell

Sorry you had to live this.

I parked my vintage Triumph in the garage over 5 years ago and this is why....I have ridden across the country east to west and north to south, and I would not trade the memories for anything, but the country becomes ever more stupid and inattentive and texts more while driving every day. He did not help things at all by going too fast in a place where someone could back out and not see him.

The worst place IMHO was the parking lot of a big box store, to e avoided at all costs. The only saving grace was that speeds in a parking lot were low.

RIP MJ.

Driving south on I71 a few years back, two jackass kids were riding there crotch rockets while standing on the seats. Must of been doing over 90. One hit a bump and he flew into a car and was killed instantly. I Couldn't stop too much traffic. Not sure what other injuries there must have been to other people.

Not sure about the whole "brain doesn't register" thing... motorcycles are simply smaller and therefore harder to see. Add in the fact that their maneuverability and acceleration rates are so far beyond any normal "car", the average driver simply cannot anticipate them even if they do see them. And when a rider exploits his bike's attributes in traffic... it's a recipe for disaster.

I am sure I am not unique here when I say that there have been multiple times that "street sports" have surprised me on freeways, passing me on the lane stripes like I'm standing still, but in fact doing 70 mph. Sometimes passing between me and a car I am passing "traveling" in pairs, or more... a/k/a "racing".

So many people driving cars are looking at their phones behind the wheel its no wonder there are not more accidents.

Hardly take a trip even a local trip on a "shopping run" without seeing this.

The left turn into my subdivision is off of a "45-mph", 4-lane road and just over a blind hill. I always signal my upcoming turn on the uphill climb while tapping my brakes. If I have to wait to turn due to oncoming traffic, I always watch my rearview ready to "jet". A month or so ago a small Chevy topped the hill in my lane, driver's head "down" and I bailed. Just as I started rolling he looked up and almost lost control doing such an abrupt lane change that his tires squealed.

I've no doubt the driver was checking messages, if not sending text. Also no doubt he was doing well in excess of 50...

Regarding texting while driving:

My brother-in-law drives trucks...has a birds eye view...he says he even see state troopers texting while driving.

Almost every time when I see someone doing one of the following:

- Slamming on their brakes with nobody in front of them

- Sitting at a green light not moving

- Driving in 2 lanes or swerving

- Stopping a car length after a stop sign/red light instead of stopping in front of it.

I look over and 90% of the time their heads are down at their phone.

I'm not entirely guilt-free I've shot off a few quick texts behind the wheel, but usually when I'm at a red light. The combination of manual transmission + a lot of city driving makes it a little harder for me though.

---

Anyway, certainly feel sadder about the woman than Michael Jackson. He was being wreckless and she paid the ultimate price.

Archived