THE BROWNS BOARD

Triumvirates

The Gipper

Another thread spawned by a subject from sports talk radio: Triumvirates

Who are the best threesomes in a particular category? The original Triumvirate came from the Romans where Crassus, Pompey and Julius Caesar reigned as a threesome over the Empire. But lets bring this to a sports perspective. Here are a few:

A. Pre Super Bowl QB Triumvirate: Otto Graham, John Unitas and Sid Luckman? (or Sammy Baugh)?

B. 1966-1999 QB Triumvirate: Joe Montana, Bart Starr....and Elway? (or Marino)

C. 21st Century QB Triumvirate: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning...and who? Brees/BR/Rodgers/Eli?

D. Running backs: Jim Brown, Walter Payton ...and? Emmit? Barry? OJ?

E. Wide Receivers: Start with Jerry Rice....but who are next two? I think you have to include Don Hutson...who else? Moss? Warfield? Carter?

F. Middle Linebackers: Butkus, Nitschke, Lewis? or does Lambert belong?

G. Sack masters? Reggie White? Bruce Smith? Deacon Jones?

H. Tight Ends: Gonzales....who else? Mackey? Ozzie? Witten?

I. Other football categories?

J. Mays, Aaron and Mantle

K. Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio

L. Other baseball categories?: Pitchers/catchers/ Closers/shortstops etc.

M. Basketball centers. Hard one: Who are top 3?: Russell/Wilt/Kareem/Shaq/Olajuwon/Malone/Robinson/Ewing/Walton?

N. Point Guards: Magic/Stockton/the original Isaiah Thomas?.....what about guys that you don't know where they played? Oscar? Curry,

O. Best Small Forwards: LeBron/Bird/Dr. J any other candidates

P. Best Shooting guards: Jordan/Kobe/Jerry West? any other candidates?

Q. Best Power forwards? Karl Malone/Tim Duncan/...who else? Hayes/Nowitski? Barkley? Rodman?

R. Best Golfers: Nicklaus/Tiger/Palmer

Any other categories

Bradshaw

I think with his 4 titles he would be under consideration, perhaps.

Swann

But not him. I would not put him over his running mate John Stallworth. Lets put it this way: since Swann is in the HOF I think Gary Collins should be in...and his numbers are just as good.

Gastineau

Maybe for a year or two he dominated, but for his overall career, no, not really. He flashed and then was gone.

Eric Heiden

Well, he IS the "gold" standard!

Bradshaw

I think with his 4 titles he would be under consideration, perhaps.

Swann

But not him. I would not put him over his running mate John Stallworth. Lets put it this way: since Swann is in the HOF I think Gary Collins should be in...and his numbers are just as good.

Gastineau

Maybe for a year or two he dominated, but for his overall career, no, not really. He flashed and then was gone.

Eric Heiden

Well, he IS the "gold" standard! Nah- that belongs to Michael Phelps. + Olympics- Dayton's Edwin C. Moses, 100 has to be Usain Bolt.

Eric Heiden

Well, he IS the "gold" standard! Nah- that belongs to Michael Phelps. + Olympics- Dayton's Edwin C. Moses, 100 has to be Usain Bolt.

Come on, you are not letting Ghoolie play you, are you? Eric Heiden....Gold standard for more reasons than one.pic_history13.jpg

A. Pre Super Bowl QB Triumvirate: Otto Graham, John Unitas and Sid Luckman? (or Sammy Baugh)? Jurgenson?

B. 1966-1999 QB Triumvirate: Joe Montana, Bart Starr....and Elway? (or Marino) I'd go Staubach over Marino... more weight on titles.

C. 21st Century QB Triumvirate: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning...and who? Brees/BR/Rodgers/Eli? Moon? Fouts?

D. Running backs: Jim Brown, Walter Payton ...and? Emmit? Barry? OJ? Earl...

E. Wide Receivers: Start with Jerry Rice....but who are next two? I think you have to include Don Hutson...who else? Moss? Warfield? Carter? The Seattle WR... Largent. #3? Bambi...

F. Middle Linebackers: Butkus, Nitschke, Lewis? or does Lambert belong? Argument can be made for Jack, but also for Singletary...

G. Sack masters? Reggie White? Bruce Smith? Deacon Jones? LT

H. Tight Ends: Gonzales....who else? Mackey? Ozzie? Witten? Antonio Gates... Mackey defined the position, Ozzie redefined it, Gates re-redefined it.

I. Other football categories? Kickers: Lou, Jan and Morten...

Punters: Guy, Lechler and... Roby?

Bradshaw

I think with his 4 titles he would be under consideration, perhahps

Largent

Gastineau

Eric Heiden

Well, he IS the "gold" standard!

Eric Heiden

Come on, you are not letting Ghoolie play you, are you? Eric Heiden....Gold standard for more reasons than one.pic_history13.jpg

Not even close Gip. I got the Ghoolie connection. Oh, he was wearing gold? Yeah- best in speed skating. His puny 5 gold medals isn't even in the same dimension as Phelps.

Michael Phelps is the most decorated Olympian of all time, with a total of 28 medals. Phelps also holds the all-time records for Olympic gold medals (23), Olympic gold medals in individual events (13), and Olympic medals in individual events (16).

A. Pre Super Bowl QB Triumvirate: Otto Graham, John Unitas and Sid Luckman? (or Sammy Baugh)? Jurgenson? Jurgenson played much of his career after 1966....plus I don't think he quite matches up to the others I mention. Just my opinion.

B. 1966-1999 QB Triumvirate: Joe Montana, Bart Starr....and Elway? (or Marino) I'd go Staubach over Marino... more weight on titles. Fair argument.

C. 21st Century QB Triumvirate: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning...and who? Brees/BR/Rodgers/Eli? Moon? Fouts? Both of them retired before 2000 I believe. Fouts did. If Moon played in the 21st century it was only for a year or 2 at most.

D. Running backs: Jim Brown, Walter Payton ...and? Emmit? Barry? OJ? Earl... Fair enough

E. Wide Receivers: Start with Jerry Rice....but who are next two? I think you have to include Don Hutson...who else? Moss? Warfield? Carter? The Seattle WR... Largent. #3? Bambi... I would take Warfield over these last two.

F. Middle Linebackers: Butkus, Nitschke, Lewis? or does Lambert belong? Argument can be made for Jack, but also for Singletary... Yes, but I would not take out Nitschke

G. Sack masters? Reggie White? Bruce Smith? Deacon Jones? LT Forgot about LT....but I don't know if we should remove the all time leader.

H. Tight Ends: Gonzales....who else? Mackey? Ozzie? Witten? Antonio Gates... Mackey defined the position, Ozzie redefined it, Gates re-redefined it. Fair argument.

I. Other football categories? Kickers: Lou, Jan and Morten...

Punters: Guy, Lechler and... Roby?

Archived