THE BROWNS BOARD

Choke Jobs

The Gipper

I bring up this thread because for like the 5th time in recent history the NHL Washington Capitols choked away a 7th game of a series at home to the team from Pittsburgh, and many on sports talk radio announced what big chokers they have been over the years.

Also.....in the past year on the biggest stage teams have committed major choke jobs:

Cavs come from behind....Warriors choke away a 3-1 lead.

Indians choke away a 3-1 lead to the Cubs.

Falcons choke away a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

So? What are some of your biggest choke jobs in history? Here are a few I recall:

Red Sox come from 3-0 behind to beat the Yankees. (only time in MLB history that has happened)

There have been a few times such a thing has happened in hockey.

Oilers blow like a 32 point lead in playoff game.

I think we have to add the 25 point lead the Pacers lost to the Cavs....the biggest comeback in NBA playoff history.

One more: Browns blow a 17 point lead to Steelers in 2002 playoff game...because Butch Davis demanded that the team go to the prevent defense in the middle of the third quarter and because Dennis Northcutt dropped a ball that was right in his hands that would have sealed the win.

Give your big choke jobs.

Biggest on the losing side was easily the Oilers playoff loss in BUF... Frank Fuckin' Reich...

We've choked out a few opponents tho...

• TN and ATL in our 2014 "run" IIRC... that ATL game was basically the last "fun" we've had.
  • And then there's the Indians record-setting rally vs. the Mariners... we were down by 12 runs at one point IIRC.

I bring up this thread because for like the 5th time in recent history the NHL Washington Capitols choked away a 7th game of a series at home to the team from Pittsburgh, and many on sports talk radio announced what big chokers they have been over the years.

Give your big choke jobs.

The Penguins have some amazing or mysterious or something spell over the boys from DC during the reign of the scoring king Alex Ovechkin who just seems to disappear during the series especially at crunch time.

Biggest choke since, I don't know Nixon?

Just remembered the biggest individual one I've ever seen...

Jean van de Velde on the 18th hole in the 1999 Open Championship at Carnoustie... a course I've played. For the record, I would have halved the 18th with him... :(

Northern Iowa up by 12 with 44 sec. to go in regulation lose in 2OT to Texas A&M

Reminded me of the Knicks(?) collapse vs. Reggie Miller and the Pacers a few years back...

Sadly, the stupid "Drive" game vs. Denver in 1987 was indeed a choke job by Marty. It was bad enough to allow a 98 yard TD drive, playing prevent D, but then on 3rd and 2, he gave the ball to Herman Fontenot, instead of Kevin Mack (after the Browns won the OT coin toss).

Recently, the Seahawks losing to NE on the goal line INT in the Super Bowl.

NE rolling along at 18-0, lose SB to the NYG.

Greg Norman losing a 6 stroke lead at the Masters, 1996.

Bill Buckner* having the series-ending out go right between his legs in 1986 for the Red Sox.

...and of course, the Cowboys' Jackie Smith* dropping a TD vs the Steelers in the SB back in the 70s. Steelers win 35-31

*= great players who had one horrible play destroy them

Just last night....the Spurs lost after having a 25 point lead on the Warriors.

Of course, for that there is a bit of an explanation.....Leonard goes out with an injury.....possibly even a dirty play by GS player. The air goes out of Spurs balloon and the Warriors are rejuvenated by it.

As a Yankee fan Red Sox 3-0 comeback still stings a bit.

One of the worst for me was the 2002 playoff loss to the Steelers

Couldn't have happened to a better team. Broke the "Curse of the Bambino". Broke an 86 year dry spell

White Sox broke their 88 year curse back in 2005.

Cubs broke their 108 year curse....by taking advantage of the Tribe's choke.

Longest continuing streaks now with no title:

Arizona/St. Louis/Chicago Cardinals now at 70 years

Indians working on 69 years.

Sacramento/Kansas City/Cincinnati/Rochester Kings/Royal working on 66 year streak

Here is one "curse" I am hoping would break this year:

Ottawa has not had a hockey title since 1927 (they have no teams in the other 3 major sports). They are now in the "Final Four"..with a 1-0 lead on Penguins.

(note though that Ottawa did not have a team in the NHL from 1934 to 1992 a number of decades...so their continuous season streak with no title does not apply to the current franchise which started play in 1992.

Cleveland Indians 1997 fall classic up 2-0 in bottom of the 9th inning in game 7. Actually it's more on Jose Mesa.

Actually, I believe they only had a one run lead....but your point is well taken....the Indians have choked it away the last 3 times they were in position to win: 1997, 2007, 2016.

I'm sure 99/100 people on this forum won't have the slightest clue of who he is or what he does, but the biggest choke that I have seen - maybe ever, was Eli Tomac throwing away the Monster Energy Supercross title this year.

Eli20Choking_zpsok4o1hig.jpg

There is also a different type of choke job having nothing to do with losing big leads.....it's when the clearly superior team ends up losing to a clearly inferior team.

When the clear favorite doesn't seem to be able to get it together throughout the game and ends up losing....they are said to have choked.

There is also a different type of choke job having nothing to do with losing big leads.....it's when the clearly superior team ends up losing to a clearly inferior team.

When the clear favorite doesn't seem to be able to get it together throughout the game and ends up losing....they are said to have choked.

We understand that. Give us some examples of where that has happened. I am trying to think of some. Here we go:

First: I do NOT think that last year's NBA finals was of that nature. While the GSW's may have had the best regular season record in history, they were by no means the "clearly superior" team. Not when LBJ plays for the other team.

How about the 18-0 Pats losing to the Giants?

Appalachian State beats Michigan? (but....was Michigan "clearly superior"...possibly not)

Douglas over Tyson.....I put that one high up there.

Villanova over Georgetown 1985

NC State and Jim Valvano over the Houston Cougars and Phi Slamma Jamma.

Jets over Colts SBIII

And the Ultimate: USA over USSR 1980 Winter Olympics Hockey

Clay (at that time) over Liston #1. At that time was considered one of the greatest upsets in the history of heavyweight boxing. Of course in retrospect we now know that even the hardest hitters can't bring down what they can't hit. Who knew the Louisville Lip also had a fast body as well as a fast mouth.

Ohio state losing to Michigan state in the horseshoe a couple seasons ago.

Are you talking about a "choke" or an upset by a clearly inferior team? Under Mark Dantonio I don't think it can said that Mich St. has ever "clearly" been an inferior opponent to anyone.

Clay (at that time) over Liston #1. At that time was considered one of the greatest upsets in the history of heavyweight boxing. Of course in retrospect we now know that even the hardest hitters can't bring down what they can't hit. Who knew the Louisville Lip also had a fast body as well as a fast mouth.

That second fight seemed more like a James Harden vs. the Spurs act. Questions whether it was legit.

Cleveland Indians 1997 fall classic up 2-0 in bottom of the 9th inning in game 7. Actually it's more on Jose Mesa.

It's on Hargrove- he took out Jaret Wright, a 21 year old kid with a 2 hitter going because of a pitch count. He didn't have to pitch until spring training, totally out-managed himself.

We understand that. Give us some examples of where that has happened. I am trying to think of some. Here we go:

First: I do NOT think that last year's NBA finals was of that nature. While the GSW's may have had the best regular season record in history, they were by no means the "clearly superior" team. Not when LBJ plays for the other team.

How about the 18-0 Pats losing to the Giants?

Appalachian State beats Michigan? (but....was Michigan "clearly superior"...possibly not)

Douglas over Tyson.....I put that one high up there.

Villanova over Georgetown 1985

NC State and Jim Valvano over the Houston Cougars and Phi Slamma Jamma.

Jets over Colts SBIII

And the Ultimate: USA over USSR 1980 Winter Olympics Hockey

Good ones!

Jets over Colts probably #1...most famous choke job in the history of sports I bet. Namaths guarantee. Jets truly inferior to the mighty Colts.

I bet those Colts beat the JETS 9 out of 10 times.

As far as choke jobs when it comes to blowing big leads...the #1 in my opinion was that Buffalo/Houston playoff game.

The fact that it was a backup QB at the helm made that the #1 choke job after blowing a big lead in NFL history.

....in my opinion.

NFL-wise... Oilers 2nd half collapse to the Bills is mine as well...

... but I do not see the Jets-Colts upset as even being close. That Jet team was very underrated, very athletic. Add that the QB comparison of Morral/Unitas vs. Joe Willie was as lopsided as any on the field and the win that shook the football world was set in motion.

NFL-wise... Oilers 2nd half collapse to the Bills is mine as well...

... but I do not see the Jets-Colts upset as even being close. That Jet team was very underrated, very athletic. Add that the QB comparison of Morral/Unitas vs. Joe Willie was as lopsided as any on the field and the win that shook the football world was set in motion.

Maybe the biggest upset or choke was the game before when the Colts buried the BROWNS 34-0, I remember well thinking "where is/was Colts LB Mike Curtis" all game in SB III? The Jets were better, Namath was a stud and the late great Johnny U. was just too old.

Archived