THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon not Reinstated

Suomi

There's obviously something behind the scenes going on with Gordon. Why would he tweet weird stuff and snap weird stuff, then did the whole rehab thing? Was that partly a shot at us and goodell, or is josh legit just trying to better himself? Did he screw up, and is that why his agent dropped him? Look, I think Goodell is an idiot. Especially for how he dealt with the CTE problem for years. But maybe he has extra information and Gordon is acting like Blackman. I hope that's not the case because I like Gordon, but if he did everything required, he should be reinstated just like Martavius Bryant was unless he did more things behind the scenes. That's something only Josh and Goodell know.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's obviously something behind the scenes going on with Gordon. Why would he tweet weird stuff and snap weird stuff, then did the whole rehab thing? Was that partly a shot at us and goodell, or is josh legit just trying to better himself? Did he screw up, and is that why his agent dropped him? Look, I think Goodell is an idiot. Especially for how he dealt with the CTE problem for years. But maybe he has extra information and Gordon is acting like Blackman. I hope that's not the case because I like Gordon, but if he did everything required, he should be reinstated just like Martavius Bryant was unless he did more things behind the scenes. That's something only Josh and Goodell know.

^^^ Well said. There has to be something we don't know about, but Goodell does. Can't remember where Gordon (maybe) was shown tossing his Browns stuff in the trash could well be his admission- he screwed up again- and knew he was busted. But then the why? Well- try again in the fall? His use to a team at that point is near worthless.

MHO is those who think the NFL is solely making an example of Josh are off base. Just because you play for the Steelers or Patriots doesn't fly either. (Brady got busted 4 games for some debatable actions too, if you remember.) So if you do feel that way- give me a valid reason why the League wouldn't want an extremely talented WR on an NFL roster. 99.9% probability Josh couldn't do whatever the League had mandated him to do to get reinstated. It's not like he hasn't gotten it explicitly spelled out to him around a half dozen times before.

PG- it's not whether we think the rules are stupid- they're the rules, and the NFLPA should lobby to get them changed. They were partially successful- got the threshold for weed raised, and got the sanctions for repeat violations reduced. I happen to think the 25 mph speed limit on Route 8 through Northfield is ridiculous, but if I haul ass through there at 40 mph and a cop is around- I'm going to get a ticket.

Nothing has changed. I have long ago given up any expectations for Gordon to produce for the Browns. That being said, why get rid of him? He costs absolutely nothing and the Browns should retain his rights even if there is only a 1% chance he ever catches another TD again. The "he's a distraction" argument is absolute dogshit. If there is any professional athlete who is distracted by a WR who hasn't played the game in years and who isn't even around the team, they don't belong in the league to begin with.

Nothing has changed. I have long ago given up any expectations for Gordon to produce for the Browns. That being said, why get rid of him? He costs absolutely nothing and the Browns should retain his rights even if there is only a 1% chance he ever catches another TD again. The "he's a distraction" argument is absolute dogshit. If there is any professional athlete who is distracted by a WR who hasn't played the game in years and who isn't even around the team, they don't belong in the league to begin with.

^^^ True. Latest was the Browns still have his rights for another two seasons, costs them nothing. He's either going to get reinstated, or be out of the league in that time frame. He ever gets reinstated, the Browns cross that bridge when we get there. They're planning as if it's never going to happen- and I can't blame them.

I think we need to factor in that his agent dumped him two weeks ago. I would surmise she knew he was doing stupid shit and wouldn't be reinstated. She surely didn't bail if she thought he was clean and ready to play.

Yep very significant

With no agent the media can't pounce on this story. Roger sure has had a hard time counting to 3 strikes & your Out like Blackmon. 3rd strike may have been walking from team to rehab as a cover? then 1 diluted test. Now maybe try again in fall. Hate Roger. Hate the system. but something is definitely going on behind the pissing curtain. The players union imo would never go hair test. NFL with Combine over hydrating excuses? just may

I don't give a fuck what all the bitter, salty and envious haters have to say about Josh Gordon, they can say, "he did it to himself", or "he's a fuckup!" all they want.

He's been busted for every single fucking thing that he's done since day 1. He's paid the price for his transgression with interest. I promise you that there are players that will be playing day one that have done way worse things than Gordon has ever done.

What do I see from Gordon? Keep it together. God is good. Keep working. God Bless. Stay positive. There is hope, keep believing...

But for God's sake don't you dare-

1- take medicine that the doctor has prescribed to you.

2- be in the vacinity of anyone anytime that may or may not be smoking weed.

3- don't you dare be confused over the wording of some archaic and almighty punishment sent down from Goodell's high fucking horse.

As much as I can't stand Roger Goodell, he has nothing to do with why Josh can't pass the piss tests all year round. He also had nothing to do with how many times Josh got kicked off Baylor for pot twice or why all major DI programs got scared off from recruiting him before that (except that Baylor program). Gordon either learns or he does not.

And just out of curiosity, how do we know there was actually a doctor that prescribed cough medicine to treat Gordon's strept throat?

How serious has he been when he hung out with Manziel or he had a guy with a big bag of weed in his car when he got pulled over for speeding? The red flags never went away. And when it appeared he was finally ready to go in 2016 - what happened? You've really just seen a guy placing football first?

I don't hate Josh Gordon. I hate that he never GOT IT. Blaming everybody but Josh is why he remains in the hole he dug for himself.

Gordon's suspension was reduced the first time he was suspended because he had a doctor's note that he was given codien for strept throat.

As much as I can't stand Roger Goodell, he has nothing to do with why Josh can't pass the piss tests all year round. He also had nothing to do with how many times Josh got kicked off Baylor for pot twice or why all major DI programs got scared off from recruiting him before that (except that Baylor program). Gordon either learns or he does not.

And just out of curiosity, how do we know there was actually a doctor that prescribed cough medicine to treat Gordon's strept throat?

How serious has he been when he hung out with Manziel or he had a guy with a big bag of weed in his car when he got pulled over for speeding? The red flags never went away. And when it appeared he was finally ready to go in 2016 - what happened? You've really just seen a guy placing football first?

I don't hate Josh Gordon. I hate that he never GOT IT. Blaming everybody but Josh is why he remains in the hole he dug for himself.

First, anything the guy did at Baylor shouldn't matter towards the NFL. Not calling you out on that, it's just a stupid policy in general.

I think the thing for me while I totally agree with the bolded (I've been saying cut the bum for years), it's not a mutually exclusive thing either. Gordon can be a total idiot and Roger could still be a dick who abuses his power while the market share of the NFL goes down. It just drives me insane how inconsistent the guy is with this stuff (see Leveon Bell and Martavis Bryant) and how women beaters (see Ray Rice and Greg Hardy) can be playing ball but this dude can't.

Overall... Seems like everyone is in the same place they've been since Josh's surprise rehab stint last Fall. Me, too.

So long as it costs us nothing to maintain JG's rights and we consider any potential future contributions by him as a "bonus", then I keep his rights... and do what I can to help him.

Did it ever occur to you people that he probably tested positive again?

Not until I heard a report on ESPN that intimated he's has unspecified "relapses". These could as likely be alcohol related as they are drug related and thus the suspension extension.

There was also an allusion to some life-long "hangers-on" still being around him...

Well.. If they want to be real pricks.. they could take a hair folicle.

It is pretty much the "standard" test for private industry these days as it reaches farther back in time.

But not sure the NFL wants a league of Shazier and Dobbs lookin' mofos...

He just needs to join JM & the free breasts in Tulum. They can learn how to play the Mayan version of "football" and put on shows for Mexican fans who can keep them both in "high" style.

220px-GreatBallCourt-interior.jpg

Far be it from me to upset the apple cart with a post about promoting the Browns, forgiving a player, and operating as a team, HOWEVER.....................

if some of you guys want to condemn Gordon as a fuck-up, by all means go ahead. However, I can promise you, if Gordon played for Bill Belichik, the entire patriots team, including the community, management and ownership would have been standing behind Josh and pressuring the NFL to let the kid back in.

This is an abomination. In an age where the stupidity of marijuana being illegal is being documented, Josh's errors are hardly egregious and fatal.

This ruling is an abomination, and it is immoral. I am not setting aside his mistakes, but at the same time you can't set aside man's responsibility to forgive, educate, develop and guide those who have made mistakes. Josh Gordon is a human being, he is a kid. He is blessed with wonderful physical skills, and he only has one live, one chance to do something that every one of us wish we could do....... even for one, glorious Sunday.

The earmarks of decency, compassion and wisdom lie not in endlessly punishing each other for mistakes, but in helping people to turn themselves around. There is no good to be served by leaving Josh Gordon on the outside, looking in. Whatever the kid did, he has paid for, and then some.

When you consider the scumbags scattered all about in the NFL, this punishment of Gordon is borderline evil and vindictive.

The NFL should be ashamed of themselves, but even more than that, the Browns organization should be ashamed of themselves. They could have put a team behind this kid. They could have formed some agreement with him, and taken their case to the public and to the NFL.

I don't give a shit if you like the kid or not. But he is a Brown. If this fucking franchise is so great, where the hell are they in helping to get Gordon back into the game? Do they actually think this unconscionable ban is going to help him, the Browns or the league?

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

c'mon really? he's broken the nfl laws more than the dog killer, the wife beater and the blatant people killer. sure none of gordo's 'crimes' rise to that level but when you are told don't do it again and he does it again and again and AGAIN....bye!

There are players who have done much worse. It's all good though I suppose if people just use the stuff the Pharmaceutical industry pushes on the public......you know the stuff that may cause rapid heartbeat, constipation, loss of memory, weight gain, insomnia, headache, 12hr erections, aggitation, thoughts of suicide...etc, etc.

There are players who have done much worse. It's all good though I suppose if people just use the stuff the Pharmaceutical industry pushes on the public......you know the stuff that may cause rapid heartbeat, constipation, loss of memory, weight gain, insomnia, headache, 12hr erections, aggitation, thoughts of suicide...etc, etc.

That stuff is minor. Prescription (and street derivative) opioids are killing people by the thousands. fentanyl- and it's elephant painkiller cousin carfentanyl- which happens to be 10,000 times more potent than morphine. They're not sure what the lethal dose of the stuff is, but this picture ought to give you an idea, and why anyone who's a user is one step away from the morgue.

800Carfentanil-KSTP-ToddWilson.jpg

Please understand some more regarding the "opiate" / addiction crisis.. the assertion that "The Victims Chose It" is simply objectively false.

Over 70% of those addicted to opiates first began because they had a nominally simple procedure - tooth pulling, hernia surgery, biopsy, etc. And at present, pain pills are presented at the end of that procedure.. however, the information that "Taking These Pills Is How Addiction Starts" is absolutely not described to that patient.. and that's 100% not the MD's fault.

1) "Pain Management" was not a thing before the family behind oxycontin began lobbying.

Quote from the article:

In 2007, Purdue Pharma and three of its top executives pleaded guilty to criminal charges that they had misled the F.D.A., clinicians, and patients about the risks of OxyContin addiction and abuse by aggressively marketing the drug to providers and patients as a safe alternative to short-acting narcotics. (Doctors had been taught that because OxyContin was time-released, it wouldn’t cause a high that would lead to addiction.)

2) MD's have been beaten down to "Make The Patient Happy" and so they give out pills because the pt asks.. because otherwise the MD is thought to be "not serving the pt."

Personally, I'm nearly afraid of oxy/vicodin.. make a point to attempt to tough it out no matter what - and only use advil if absolutely necessary.

Josh Gordon is a dope. (but we shouldn't cut him 'cuz he costs us nothing and is not a distraction)

And Roger GoToHell is an idiot. (apparently we can't cut him either)

What is ever more hypocritical is the drunks who are in the HOF. Sonny Jourgensen, Babe, Ty Cobb, Joe Namath........... and more.............. boozers....but that's okay?

Fuck the NFL, and Fuck the Browns. Cowards.

He had his chance, well...more than one. It's time to call a spade a spade and move on.

But I thought Drug addiction, like Alcoholism is a disease? So, how can you punish someone for a disease?

Pot is a bullshit issue. I guarantee you Godell couldn't pass the NFL's substance tests, nor could most NFL execs. It is a bullshit suspension.

First offense slap you on the wrist. Second offense gets you time off. Third offense gets you a year off.

Fourth offense after telling your boss the things he wanted to hear? Bullshit.

Pot is a bullshit issue. I guarantee you Godell couldn't pass the NFL's substance tests, nor could most NFL execs.

That and a quarter gets a phone call. (although I agree, it's bull)

He knows the rules. Like all the other players do.

He made the choice to NOT drink O'Douls & smoke cigars for 10 years.

First offense- codein- 4/6 game suspension reduced to 2 games due to doctor script.

Second offense- 10 games, nearly a whole dame season. no OTAs no team contact nothing. Despite that the NFL lowered the THC threshold to a limit that wouldn't have triggered a positive test in Gordon's case, yet retro-punished despite the fact.

Third offense- A whole season, for in essence what consisted of a miscommunication. Gordon was told no drink until the end of the season. Gordon waited until his season was over and he cleaned out his locker, he then had a couple drinks on a flight to vegas with players and coaches from the Browns.

Reapplied for reinstatement to the league and was allowed after serving a bullshit 4 game suspension... for what? Not even Josh Gordon knows why. After a warrant being issued he took to his past experience and voluntarily checked himself into rehab to avoid doing anything that would jeopardize his future in the NFL and it cost him the entire season.

A year later reapplies for reinstatement and is denied.

If you think that this is justice or right or justified in any way, I feel sorry for you.

Rolando McClain was arrested on marijuana and firearm charges on Friday according Anna Beahm...

...also on indefinite suspension list... do you see this from Gordon? No. Because Gordon is TRYING.

You know, it makes me sick. Gordon could be the best WR that the Browns have ever had. And all we can do is watch him age as the Goodell beats off to his power trip.

#FreeFlash

I've said it before but I'll say it again. He's trying. He hasn't repeat offended anything. Each time that he's been suspended it's been for something different. It's not like he's blowing weed smoke in the Commish's face smiling. He's taken HUNDREDS of drug tests and has passed 99% of them since entering the NFL. If he wasn't trying, he wouldn't even be in the conversation, ala Blackmon or Ricky Williams. IMO Gordon has went above and beyond in his quest to become 'WORTHY' of being an NFL player. He's a stand up young man and he is well spoken and full of class. It really is a goddamn shame that he's being treated this way.

Josh Gordon has a target on his back from the NFL. He's their little scapegoat...

So, go ahead and poke fun at his misery. His misery is OUR misery. So... good job.

Rolando McClain was arrested on marijuana and firearm charges on Friday according Anna Beahm...

...also on indefinite suspension list... do you see this from Gordon? No. Because Gordon is TRYING.

Not to mention DWash from Az getting fucked as well, but hey it's the law and when theres a lot of $$$ at steak it's a problem.

Seriously if you were a owner and had your boss yapping at your heels about a player not following the rules while trying to maintain a winning franchise wtf?

I've said it before but I'll say it again. He's trying. He hasn't repeat offended anything. Each time that he's been suspended it's been for something different. It's not like he's blowing weed smoke in the Commish's face smiling. He's taken HUNDREDS of drug tests and has passed 99% of them since entering the NFL. If he wasn't trying, he wouldn't even be in the conversation, ala Blackmon or Ricky Williams. IMO Gordon has went above and beyond in his quest to become 'WORTHY' of being an NFL player. He's a stand up young man and he is well spoken and full of class. It really is a goddamn shame that he's being treated this way.

Josh Gordon has a target on his back from the NFL. He's their little scapegoat...

So, go ahead and poke fun at his misery. His misery is OUR misery. So... good job.

There is trying and there is doing. I have no sympathy for a person throwing away their talent & $$$ because they can only "try". He has now had close to 10 years of "trying" and continues not to "do". Good luck in the CFL with JM.

The part I just never get with Josh is his selfishness. 365 days a year you are asked to perform on the big stage only 16 Games. With 52 other brothers counting on your talents. Sorry but I just have not seen a Pacman Jones in this locker room that Josh could lean on as a support teammate. Nor should JT or Haden be asked to lock this kid in his room

Archived