THE BROWNS BOARD

Jackson: 'Never witnessed a group transform as fast' as Gregg Williams leaves mark on Browns defense

Tour2ma

Jackson: 'Never witnessed a group transform as fast' as Gregg Williams leaves mark on Browns defense

Posted 22 hours ago

Patrick Maks Staff Writer

'He spent two weeks not talking about scheme, he spent two weeks talking about how you play in the National Football League'

The first time we saw Hue Jackson and new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams together in action was at the Senior Bowl in January, where the two engaged in a sort of playful trash talk during practices throughout that week down in Mobile, Alabama.

That dynamic, Jackson said Thursday in a wide-ranging interview on Cleveland Browns Daily, is what the Browns need as they finish up Week 4 of offseason workouts and prepare for Friday’s rookie minicamp.

“We’ll keep it that way,” Jackson said with a wide smile. “That's what we want. Our guys like to compete, we as coaches like to compete. We do it all in fun, but it's very chippy, very competitive and I think it makes practice go a little better. I think it eggs on competition a little bit more and that’s what you need.”

That’s partly why Jackson tapped Williams, a 27-year veteran who helped New Orleans win a Super Bowl in 2010, earlier this year to help mold a young defense that recently added defensive end Myles Garrett, the first-overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, and safety Jabrill Peppers, the 25th overall pick.

And when Garrett and Peppers report for minicamp Friday, they’ll get a sample of what the rest of Cleveland’s defense has learned over the past few weeks. “His energy is crazy,” veteran cornerback Joe Haden said last month. “He definitely brings a different attitude.”

“He is an intense coach. You can tell that he wants to change the culture around here. I think he is the perfect fit,” added defensive lineman Danny Shelton. “Just in his demeanor alone, you can tell that he is a serious guy. It is exciting to come to work and know that he is going to have a challenge for you every day. It's going to be a lot of work this year.”

Jackson said Williams, who has assembled five top-five defenses -- including the league's best unit in 2000 -- behind a fiery approach centered around accountability and attention to detail, has already started to leave his mark.

“He is probably the biggest recruit I’ve had thus far. He's done a tremendous job thus far,” he said. “I think the players have all gravitated to his style, truly believe in what he’s selling and he's one of the greatest salesman I’ve ever been around."

“He’s really detail-oriented, he has expectations for our players, he's really going to push and prod them, they've done a great job. I've never witnessed a group transform as fast because he spent two weeks not talking about scheme, he spent two weeks talking about how you play in the National Football League.”

That, of course, is an ongoing process for the Browns, who finished 1-15 last season and 31st of 32 teams in total defense. But Williams, Jackson said, has him feeling optimistic about the future of Cleveland’s defense.

“I think our players understand there’s a demand of how we play that’s going to be different,” he said. “We want to see the Browns be different than they’ve ever been.

“Well I can assure this,” Jackson continued. “On defense, we will be different.”

It’s already evident on the practice field.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Jackson-Never-witnessed-a-group-transform-as-fast-as-Gregg-Williams-leaves-mark-on-Browns-defense/e49069e6-fa25-4e88-9047-dd004ebb37e2

Talk is all fine, well, and good. Lets see what actually happens on the field in actual games.

This team now has some parts on defense...but there still seem to be some major holes to fill if this defense is going to rise above like 30th/31s ranked defense.

Again with another cliche:

A team is only as strong as its weakest link.

There are still some weak links on this defense. Even filling some of them with first round picks and lower didn't solve all the issues.

FS

OLB for a start.

DL addressed pretty well. Got the DE you all think will work wonders. They got two DTs....a spot I said was even a potential bigger priority. Hopefully Peppers fills the gap at SS.

Talk is all fine, well, and good. Lets see what actually happens on the field in actual games.

This team now has some parts on defense...but there still seem to be some major holes to fill if this defense is going to rise above like 30th/31s ranked defense.

Again with another cliche:

A team is only as strong as its weakest link.

There are still some weak links on this defense. Even filling some of them with first round picks and lower didn't solve all the issues.

FS

OLB for a start.

DL addressed pretty well. Got the DE you all think will work wonders. They got two DTs....a spot I said was even a potential bigger priority. Hopefully Peppers fills the gap at SS.

Hoping Tyvis Powell or the UDFA kid from BYU can deliver and give at least average play. Not anything ground breaking. Just don't be a problem.

Personally I can handle our D not going from feckless to flawless in... one... fucking... offseason.

Hoping Tyvis Powell or the UDFA kid from BYU can deliver and give at least average play. Not anything ground breaking. Just don't be a problem.

At least we have some candidates. Kindred, Powell....and refresh our memories on this BYU kid.

Hue Jackson has a proven track record of chosing shit. Odds are, WIlliams is Shit.

Williams is not new to the league.

He's a proven guy (not shit).

It's possible that he's Hue's replacement.

WOW................ Stop the presses.............. HOLY FUCK.......................

Hue Jackson endorses the guy he hired. THIS IS BIG FUCKING NEWS.......

This is BIGGER news than Hue Endorsing Horton and falling in love with RG3.

WOW, I am so excited.

Reality Check.......................Hue Jackson has a proven track record of choosing shit. Odds are, Williams is Shit.

If you want to argue the Saint's Super Bowl winning defense was all on Sean Payton..... A few things from Wiki for your enlightenment.... One thing for sure- Williams isn't going to put up with any crap.

"Gregg Williams (born July 15, 1958) is an American football coach who is the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns . Previously, he was head coach of the Buffalo Bills, and defensive coordinator of the New Orleans Saints which won Super Bowl XLIV. Williams is known for running aggressive, attacking 4–3 schemes that put heavy pressure on opposing quarterbacks.[1][2]

In March 2012, Williams was suspended from the NFL as a result of his admitted involvement in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, under which bounties were paid for causing injuries that would take targeted players on opponent teams out of games. Williams' suspension was lifted a year later, and he returned to the NFL."

Williams was at the top of several NFL teams' list for the position of defensive coordinator. Williams quickly signed with the Washington Redskins, the only team with which he interviewed, because Head Coach Joe Gibbs offered him total autonomy over his defensive players and defensive coaching staff. LOL, so much for the DC running the HC's scheme!!!

In Washington, with Williams' aggressive defensive scheme, the Redskins' defense ranked third in the NFL in 2004 and ninth in 2005.

On January 3, 2006, Williams signed a three-year extension to remain with the Redskins, which made him the highest paid assistant coach in the NFL."

Williams is not new to the league.

He's a proven guy (not shit).

It's possible that he's Hue's replacement.

That might make Ghoolie happy if he gets his wish to see Hue fired. Williams didn't do too well in his first stint as a head coach (Buffalo) but then again neither did that guy who's currently coaching the Patriots. :)

Williams is... a proven guy (not shit).

williams is well respected and a badass

... and a helluva "coffee-fetcher"...

Aside... lol... just got this great image of a lil fat guy with an accordion 'splaining to Gregg, face-to-face, how he's just a "coffee-fetcher"...

Archived