THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft/HOF perspective Trivia

The Gipper

Here is some HOF related trivia...and a few other matters:

1. What draft year produced the most Hall of Fame players?

2. The 1974 draft produced 5 Hall of Fame players. Four of those were Steelers. Who is the one Non Steeler HOF player that came from that draft?

3. What draft year produced the most HOF QBs?

4. What draft year produced the most HOF RBs (FBs/HBs)?

5. What 3 colleges have produced the most Hall of Famers?

6. What uniform number was worn by the most Hall of Famers?

7. What two players have been Finalists to make the Hall of Fame the most times...yet have never been selected?

8. A. The Cavs and Warriors may be on course to become the only two teams to meet in the NBA finals 3 years in a row in history. Which two NFL teams are the only ones to ever meet in a Championship Game 3 years in a row?

B. Hint on the above: it has never happened in the Super Bowl. In fact, only once have the same two teams met in consecutive years in the Super Bowl. Name the teams.

9. Name the Hall of Famers (not just players) that were born in the following cities...all in Northeast Ohio:

Akron:

Alliance:

Canton (2):

Cleveland (5):

Grand River:

Hudson:

Mansfield:

Mantua:

Norwalk:

Sandusky:

Stow:

Toronto:

Warren:

Youngstown:

Gonna go with "the QB draft"... '83...

2. The 1974 draft produced 5 Hall of Fame players. Four of those were Steelers. Who is the one Non Steeler HOF player that came from that draft?
... wanna say it's a Raider that crashed that party, but not sure who???

see #1... which I'm going to now guess was wrong for #1...

Wow... I'm sure there are a whole lotta nones and ones... so may aonly take two and I know JB and Hornung were in the same class of '57. Could be an earlier trip (or more), but... '57.

Notre Dame, USC and BAMA...

No idea... WAG... 32...

7. What two players have been Finalists to make the Hall of Fame the most times...yet have never been selected?
Barry Bonds and...

8. A. The Cavs and Warriors may be on course to become the only two teams to meet in the NBA finals 3 years in a row in history. Which two NFL teams are the only ones to ever meet in a Championship Game 3 years in a row?
Lakers-Celtics seems too obvious to be right... but I got nothing else...

B. Hint on the above: it has never happened in the Super Bowl. In fact, only once have the same two teams met in consecutive years in the Super Bowl. Name the teams.
Dallas handed Buffalo two of their 4 consecutive defeats... best guess I can come up with...

9. Name the Hall of Famers (not just players) that were born in the following cities...all in Northeast Ohio:

Akron:
Alliance:
Canton (2): Dierdorf?
Cleveland (5): Chuck Noll
Grand River:
Hudson:
Mansfield:
Mantua:
Norwalk:
Sandusky: The big man... Orlando Pace
Stow: Larry Csonka
Toronto:
Warren:
Youngstown: Debartolo? Know he was from Youngstown and pretty sure he's in the HoF...

Gonna go with "the QB draft"... '83... NO

... wanna say it's a Raider that crashed that party, but not sure who??? Yes..it was a Raider...

see #1... which I'm going to now guess was wrong for #1... Check, it was 1983 (though....arguably another year could tie 1983 sort of)

Wow... I'm sure there are a whole lotta nones and ones... so may aonly take two and I know JB and Hornung were in the same class of '57. Could be an earlier trip (or more), but... '57. No, a number of years had 2 each...and for Hornung...see my answer to #3 ;)

Notre Dame, USC and BAMA... First two right...not Bama

No idea... WAG... 32... NO

Barry Bonds and... Ah...no. (and I don't know if the Baseball HOF process is the same as football...I don't think Baseball has "finalists".

Lakers-Celtics seems too obvious to be right... but I got nothing else... NO...and note....the question calls for NFL...not NBA.

Dallas handed Buffalo two of their 4 consecutive defeats... best guess I can come up with... Correct.

Akron:

Alliance:

Canton (2): Dierdorf? He is one.

Cleveland (5): Chuck Noll He is one

Grand River:

Hudson:

Mansfield:

Mantua:

Norwalk:

Sandusky: The big man... Orlando Pace Check

Stow: Larry Csonka...Check

Toronto:

Warren:

Youngstown: Debartolo? Know he was from Youngstown and pretty sure he's in the HoF.....Check

Pretty tough one this week...

NO...and note....the question calls for NFL...not NBA.

Reading comprehension... what a concept... and it would have been the perfect place for my favorite, "go to" answer... The Decatur Staleys...

Has to be an old timey pair from when there were 10 or fewer teams...

Pretty tough one this week...

NO...and note....the question calls for NFL...not NBA.

Reading comprehension... what a concept... and it would have been the perfect place for my favorite, "go to" answer... The Decatur Staleys...

Has to be an old timey pair from when there were 10 or fewer teams...

Nope. In fact, it happened after the NFL went through an expansion of sorts.

And the time you are talking about was before there was even a championship game (except during the war years)

Akron:

Alliance:

Canton (2):Motley

Cleveland (5):

Grand River: Shula

Hudson:

Mansfield:

Mantua:

Norwalk:

Sandusky:

Stow:

Toronto:

Warren:

Youngstown:

Akron:

Alliance:

Canton (2):Motley

Cleveland (5):

Grand River: Shula

Hudson:

Mansfield:

Mantua:

Norwalk:

Sandusky:

Stow:

Toronto:

Warren:

Youngstown:

Were there to be some answers in their somewhere?

Were there to be some answers in their somewhere?

only what I could think of without looking the shit up canton and grand river players

only what I could think of without looking the shit up canton and grand river players

Oh, sorry. I didn't see them snuck in there. Shula is right for Grand River. However, Motley was not born in Canton...somewhere down south and moved up north to Canton.

I've been through the HOF twice now, guess I need to pay closer attention to detail.

I've been through the HOF twice now, guess I need to pay closer attention to detail.

I may make my first visit during my June, NE-Ohio "fly-by"...

I used to live too close... :P

Cleveland & Detroit

Akron:

Alliance: Len Dawson

Canton (2): Dan Dierdorf & Alan Page

Cleveland (5): Tom Mack, Bob Brown, Chuck Noll

Grand River:

Hudson: Dante Lavelli

Mansfield:

Mantua: Jack Lambert

Norwalk: Paul Brown

Sandusky:

Toronto:

Warren: Paul Warfield

Youngstown: Eddie Debartolo

Had a few. Hell of it is that I was raised in Akron, yet don't know that player.

Mike

Cleveland & Detroit Check

Akron:

Canton (2): Dan Dierdorf & Alan Page

Cleveland (5): Tom Mack, Bob Brown, Chuck Noll

Grand River:

Mansfield:

Sandusky:

Toronto:

Youngstown: Eddie Debartolo

ALL of the above are right....check

Had a few. Hell of it is that I was raised in Akron, yet don't know that player.

Hint...there is a street named after him.

Interim Report. Unanswered questions so far:

1. In What year were the most Hall of Famers drafted? Hint: Two of them were Cleveland Browns.

2. Besides the 4 Steelers drafted in 1974, one other member of that draft class made the HOF? Name him. Hint: a Raider

3. What year produced the most RBs to make the HOF? Hint: Early days.

5. Besides USC and Notre Dame, what other college had produced the most HOFers?

6. What uniform number was worn by the most HOF players? Hint: Skill player number

7. What two players have been Finalists for the HOF the most times without getting in. Hint: both are OL

9. What HOFers were born in these NE Ohio towns:

Akron:

Cleveland: 2 people besides Bob Brown, Tom Mack, Chuck Noll

Mansfield:

Toronto:

Answers:

1964...10 HOF players drafted including Warfield and Leroy Kelly. Second most was 1957 with 9 including Jim Brown and Hickerson

Dave Casper TE by Raiders.

1983 with Elway, Kelly Marino. 1957 also had a couple of QBs...plus Paul Hornung who played QB in college, but not in the pros

1952: Ollie Matson, Hugh McIlhenney..and Frank Gifford...who was a hybrid WR and halfback.

Notre Dame 13, Souther Cal 12, Ohio State 10

#22 worn by 11 HOFers ...including Emmitt Smith. next is #44 and #81 worn by 10 HOF.

Jerry Kramer...10 time finalist, and Bob Keuchenberg 8 time finalist. Neither was elected nor are they in at this point.

Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions: 1952/53/54 Ironic that those are the only two franchises that were around at that time that have never made the Super Bowl. They actually met one other time in the 50s: 1957

Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills. early 90s.

Akron:: Cliff Battles

Canton (2): Alan Page and Dan Dierdork

Cleveland (5): Tom Mack, Bob Brown, Chuck Noll, Mike Michalske, and Benny Friedman

Grand River:: Don Shula

Mansfield: Pete Henry

Sandusky: Orlando Pace

Toronto: Clark Hinkle

Youngstown: Eddie DeBartolo Jr.

Archived