THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 Players improvements Year 2

CaineDeSoulis

Watched some interviews,I've read a few articles and followed some Twitter posts.

Danny vitale looks shredded.

Seth Devalve is moving extremely well and is at 260+

Corey Coleman has taken a leadership role for the WR Core and has been working with Kessler and the other Rookies since Early February.

Kessler has put together secret workouts, put on 10 pounds and can throw the ball a full 15 yards further.

Also fun fact about Kessler he had an adjusted comp %78.2 Ranked 5th in the league last year slightly ahead of alex smith and almost tied with Matt Ryan

Some of this sounds like the movie Draft Day. Secret workouts. 15 yards further.

Good stuff though.

Thats because it is lol.

Actual quotes vary. But the general gist is the same. He has been working with our rookie wrs since feb. HJ has said he looks bigger and stronger and his ball is stronger. Nathan Zegura was quoted that Kesslers arm looked much much bigger amd he was thicker framed to start ota mini's.

Longer is nice, but longer with accuracy? If yes, then "arm confidence" can lead to head confidence... the leap Kess needs to make.

But as to the premise... stronger equals longer. Not seeing it... arm velocity determines ball travel/speed, not "strength". And that's a quick "you-can't-teach-speed" twitch muscle thing.

15 yds longer in 3 months?.....Ill believe it when I see it....

None the less, I think Cody can probably throw it far enough to succeed.....I think his down field game(or lack of) is more a mental thing.....seeing it, anticipating, confidence, etc....it's about going for it and not playing it too safe too often.....

so...in the end....15 extra yards of umph wont help if he hits the check down every time....

None the less, I think Cody can probably throw it far enough to succeed.....I think his down field game(or lack of) is more a mental thing.....seeing it, anticipating, confidence, etc....it's about going for it and not playing it too safe too often.....

so...in the end....15 extra yards of umph wont help if he hits the check down every time....

I have think your are exactly right. Big difference between CANT throw downfield and WONT throw downfield. I'll call that half his confidence and half our line last year.

However, knowing you can throw it 15 yds further at faster mph on it than you've ever done in your life can give you the confidence to actually let it go. I can tell you that as a one time center fielder (later a catcher), knowing you could throw a strike to home plate from the deepest part of the field vs just trying to hit a relay guy can make all the difference in the world. One year in little league I had to go for the relay guy and that allowed some runners to score, but the next year being stronger and able to let it go, some runners in the same position were either thrown out or did not attempt. Later having a gun from catcher to second had the same effect. Confidence in ability to throw accurately further & faster can make all the difference in throwing vs not throwing.

So let's just see if he stays Capt. checkdown or relies on the improved strength and familiarity with receivers to let it go deep. My educated guess is we see more passes further downfield due to that change plus better OL protection that allows more time.

15 yards is a big improvement. I hope Kessler becomes our true starter. I'm tired of everyone bringing up that stupid jersey with 20+ names. There's teams that had less qbs but they were equally shitty. Atleast we're trying to find one.

15 yards is a big improvement. I hope Kessler becomes our true starter. I'm tired of everyone bringing up that stupid jersey with 20+ names. There's teams that had less qbs but they were equally shitty. Atleast we're trying to find one.

God I hope we find that starter, having found that. Next years draft would be something........2 1st. and 3 2nds and not having to spend on a QB would be huge..............

The QB throws long downfield for various reasons:

1) The WR is open enough (or single coverage) and you think you can complete it.

2) You want to stretch the field so you throw it where your guy or nobody can catch it. (maybe catch a penalty)

3) Your team is losing and time is running out.

4) Your coach insists that you throw long.

Last year while leading a game early in the 3rd quarter Hue replaced Kessler because he didn't throw the ball long. (doesn't matter that he had young receivers who weren't getting open) So McCown came in and threw long interceptions.

It's possible that Kessler was too smart to be on the Browns last year.

I have think your are exactly right. Big difference between CANT throw downfield and WONT throw downfield. I'll call that half his confidence and half our line last year.

Bingo!

Mike

Last year while leading a game early in the 3rd quarter Hue replaced Kessler because he didn't throw the ball long. (doesn't matter that he had young receivers who weren't getting open) So McCown came in and threw long interceptions.

Hue insisted the shots were there and were being refused by Kess.

That McC came in and in forcing deep balls "threw long INTs" is not evidence. Different game situations... different QB...

Archived