THE BROWNS BOARD

What Draft "Mistakes" Did You See?

TexasAg1969

Then it sure is a good thing that Garret isn't converting to QB.

It is a good thing....but this begs the question: which one will be the more proficient at their job, ultimately. Time will tell.

It's another good thing that UNC didn't play Clemson and Louisville instead of Virginia and Georgia Tech, or else Trubisky wouldn't have had the opportunity to single handedly lose a bowl game against a team missing their best offensive weapon.

What do you think NC St. would have been without MT.....pure shite.

Stanford may have been missing their best offensive weapon....but NC was like missing an offensive line...and a defense.

And I do have a question in retrospect:

Why did not Ohio State recruit or sign Trubisky? This was certainly not a case like Troy Aikman transferring away from the Oklahoma Wishbone to a more pro style offense. I don't think NC and OSU ran that much different of an offense, did they?

And MT was Mr. Football in Ohio....so its not like he came out of the woodwork

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMU is a really talented team for their league, but it's a big gap between leagues, which is why JMU got blown out by 4 touchdowns. Even middle of the road power conference programs beat the shit out of even the best FCS schools on a very consistent basis. Overall, North Carolina's schedule was pretty meh, they lost to the only good schools they played except FSU, and even found a way to lose to Duke which should've been a slam dunk. For the record, I'm not saying that Trubs will bust because he didn't play the strongest schedule. Mitch has tools that should translate to the NFL, but he is in for a big culture shock. One year as a starter shitting on schools like Citadel, JMU, Virginia, Illinois, GT, etc. isn't adequate training for taking over one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

If I remember correctly, JMU got way better as season went on, and I certainly wasn't saying that they were better, but those type schools do have some talent on them, and players like Trubisky and Switzer (as well as others I am sure) make a huge difference in college games. Take away a Manziel at A&M and they arent nearly as good. My point was that if UNC/JMU played 10 times UNC probably wins at least 9 times, but with the talent they showed they could pull of an upset. Not that many years ago they beat VT and I know I remember and every Ohio State fan remembers as well Appalachian State and Michigan :)

If I remember correctly, JMU got way better as season went on, and I certainly wasn't saying that they were better, but those type schools do have some talent on them, and players like Trubisky and Switzer (as well as others I am sure) make a huge difference in college games. Take away a Manziel at A&M and they arent nearly as good. My point was that if UNC/JMU played 10 times UNC probably wins at least 9 times, but with the talent they showed they could pull of an upset. Not that many years ago they beat VT and I know I remember and every Ohio State fan remembers as well Appalachian State and Michigan :)

Your point is well taken, I remember when my alma mater, Youngstown state, beat Pitt.

Of course Trubisky played a large role in UNC's 8-5 season. The problem for me is that he spent 2 years backing up a guy who was never considered as an NFL talent. UNC doesn't need an NFL grade QB to win, they need a good college QB who can be trusted to perform against the marginal talent that the Tarheels face on a yearly basis. This may not be the case for long as the ACC has been improving consistently. Five years ago, the good ACC teams (FSU, Clemson, Louisville) weren't very good.

Your point is well taken, I remember when my alma mater, Youngstown state, beat Pitt.

Of course Trubisky played a large role in UNC's 8-5 season. The problem for me is that he spent 2 years backing up a guy who was never considered as an NFL talent. UNC doesn't need an NFL grade QB to win, they need a good college QB who can be trusted to perform against the marginal talent that the Tarheels face on a yearly basis. This may not be the case for long as the ACC has been improving consistently. Five years ago, the good ACC teams (FSU, Clemson, Louisville) weren't very good.

Well the only thing I can think of with Williams vs Trubisky is someone thought Williams was better suited at the time. Whether that means in the college system or what, I dunno. I would certainly like to see more experience, but there have been other cases where someone started in front of a QB who went to NFL. Brady at Michigan, Tebow at Florida, Cardale at Ohio State just to name a few. Sometimes guys seem better suited in todays game as a college player than NFL.

And my point wasn't JMU being close to me. I was just saying that things could have been different later in the season and that some of these FCS teams can sometimes compete with the bigger schools, whether it be with an accumulation of talent, or just being ready for the big game, or any number of factors. From what I remember hearing, that JMU team is supposed to be better this season, so who knows. And didnt last year or the year before N. Dakota St beat Iowa? Even though Iowa doesn't really play anyone OOC

Why did not Ohio State recruit or sign Trubisky? This was certainly not a case like Troy Aikman transferring away from the Oklahoma Wishbone to a more pro style offense. I don't think NC and OSU ran that much different of an offense, did they?

And MT was Mr. Football in Ohio....so its not like he came out of the woodwork

There was an offer, but Barrett and MT were offered at the same time and Barrett jumped on his offer while MT wanted to explore his options. Once Barrett signed there was no more offer.

Archived