THE BROWNS BOARD

Great inside look at our draft

jcam222

"After the Kansas City Chiefs traded up to 10th and selected Mahomes, the quarterback who Jackson felt had the biggest upside, that left Watson as the highest-ranked QB on Cleveland's board. Watson, in Jackson's eyes, was the passer best suited to play right away, but he was not the man he hoped the Browns would select with the 12th pick. Instead, he was looking to provide Williams with another potential star: Ohio State safety Malik Hooker. "To me, he has a chance to be another Ed Reed," Jackson would tell me later. "When I coached in Baltimore, I saw firsthand what kind of impact a great safety can have."

Ouch.

Sashi took a big chance with the trade down, but I believe Williams was perfectly fine with Peppers, one of his kind of multi-faceted type of players. And the extra #1 to boot next year is gonna impact the overall team as well. It was a good trade to make when you look at it from a non-homer perspective. Sure I know most here lean towards the OSU guys just like I do to many A&M players, but from a pure logical decision perspective, it made sense the way it turned out. And even though I wanted OJ Howard or Foster @ #12, getting Njoku plus 2 for 1 is the right decision. He will be just as good as Howard in the long run. Peppers plus another # 1 will at least equal Foster or Hooker.

Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

And then this...

Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

"We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

I'm not much of a fan of early draft grades, but I like Dane Brugler's response when asked if any one team drafted multiple top 50 players. . .

The #Browns had 4 w/ Garrett (1), Njoku (18), Kizer (29) and Peppers (34). And almost a fifth with Ogunjobi (56th).

I really don't wanna get hooked because any Browns fan knows how many things can go wrong. That being said, I can't help but feel Williams will have this D kicking ass sooner than later.

There's a lot of young talent on this defense, and hopefully more to come with 5 picks in the first two rounds next year. Things don't even have to work out perfectly for the Browns to have the best defense in the AFCN within 3 years.

I'm so ready for a Browns defense that gets in the opponent's head and hurts people. Andy Dalton will be first, then Ben Worthlessberger, and then Karma will swing around and Antonio Brown will get kicked in his overpaid sternum, sending shock waves through his body and liquifying his vulva.

Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

Garrett may well be the Ferrari Engine to the Defense, but if you're putting that Engine in the ole family Truckster . . . sure, it'll move, but not like it was intended.

Need to see if some other parts can be re-purposed and help change the whole design - something a bit less Truckster and more Ferrarish.

Can't do it all at once, still some parts and pieces to change out, but we could be going in the right direction.

We ARE going in the right direction.

Previous DC attitudes..."We'll try this & hope it works"

Current DC attitude..."We'll DO this & it WILL work!"

I can't wait for this season!!!!!

Mike

Mike

Me too Mike. Fun times are a comin'!

Mike

After the O'Neal disaster, followed up by yet another dose of Horton . . .

Yea, they're going have to earn their stripes this time - lost my taste for Kool-Aide.

I'm not much of a fan of early draft grades, but I like Dane Brugler's response when asked if any one team drafted multiple top 50 players. . .

The #Browns had 4 w/ Garrett (1), Njoku (18), Kizer (29) and Peppers (34). And almost a fifth with Ogunjobi (56th).

Nearly a 6th with Caleb Brantley as well. Crushed it. Go ahead and count the kicker as well. So a nice 7 players. I'll take that all draft every draft.

And lastly this from Williams after he crashed the reception for Myles and Peppers...

... Williams put his back to the crowd and placed one hand on each rookie's shoulder. What he then told Garrett and Peppers -- and we'll leave out the swear words, especially the three- and four-syllable ones -- was, "I wanted two players out of this draft, and you are my guys. It may not look like it, but I'm happy to see you. Now, if you would like to avoid getting off to a very bad start with me, we need to make some things clear. First, do not go down there and, when you talk to the media, write checks your ass can't cash. You are here to work and help your teammates, and you will talk with your play. Secondly, you will show respect to our owners, and to this franchise, and to its history, and to the city of Cleveland ... When you come back here (for rookie minicamp), you will get to work. I look forward to being your father, now and for the rest of your life."

Williams started to walk away, but then he turned and called Garrett over again. "Myles, I saw that, at your draft party, Bruce Smith presented you with your [browns] jersey," Williams said, referring to the Hall of Fame defensive end. "Well, I've known Bruce for 25 years, and I want to show you something."

Garrett's eyes got big as Williams, after pulling out his iPhone, called up a text message: "Gregg, it's Bruce Smith. Hope u are doing well. Congrats on Myles. The young man is full of raw talent just needs to learn how to be a pro. If u or HJ needs some help I'd luv to mentor him. Talk soon."

Williams took back the phone. "I am going to invite him to come to one of our minicamps," he told Garrett, "and just know that he will always be here for me -- and he may even be there for you ... unless you do something stupid, like going down there today and writing a check your butt can't cash."

Absolutely loved this part. I'm loving Greg Williams as our DC.

Love a couple of sections related to our FO, its process, its progress and its power...

Not only had the Browns become a better football team, but the power brokers charged with lifting the franchise out of a longstanding cesspool of dysfunction and futility -- chiefly Brown, vice president of player personnel Andrew Berry, owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam and head coach Hue Jackson -- were more aligned and mutually appreciative than they've ever been.

As Jackson would tell me while sitting in his office Friday afternoon, about seven hours before the start of the second round, "We're starting to understand each other better. Sashi and his people are getting a better idea of what we as coaches are seeking, and their process is starting to make more sense to me. And Jimmy and Dee are doing a great job of making sure everyone is heard, and creating an environment where we can execute a plan without rushing things. There was a lot of passionate discussion during the pre-draft process, and there were some tense times in the war room [Thursday] night. It wasn't easy, but I love the way we came out of it. And now we can kind of sit back and let things come to us."

And then this...

Yet Brown knew the Houston Texans, who had the 25th overall pick, were intent on finding a quarterback, and were willing to give up their 2018 first-round selection to move into position to snag Watson.

"We do a lot of due diligence," Brown told me early Friday morning. "I talked to every GM in the league this week."

There is a section with Williams as well when they met with Garrett at College station to put him though a workout. I guess Willaims tried to make him fatigue and quit, but MG just kept coming back for more. Williams just sounds like a badass coach to play for. I really hope he can mold these young guys and also tell Haden to stop being a big pussy.

IMO, we should've gotten more from Houston than their 'end of the 1st round' pick in 2018.

we gave them also our comp.4th #142 which turned into Carlos Watkins..uck!

No denying that if you discount the Texans' 2018 1st to 2nd's value on the chart, then it was the first trade we've "lost". But...

IF HOU's was the only offer on the table AND Peppers was the next name on our board, then we won.

Here's my mini draft day trade thread? After Garrett & Peppers.We gained Njoku in 1st from GB who picked Kevin King our top 2nd & our top 4th for Vince Biegel. In 2nd Kizer From Tenn.(not sure of trade details(gave a 4th?) In 3rd .Ogunjobi sat at our pick 65. In 4th(on top of losing Carlos Watkins?) we trade to 126 in 4th from Broncos we received CB Howard Wilson & 7th Matt Dayes. In return Broncos get our 1st 5th Jake Butt. To end 5th rd. From Jets we grabbed Roderick Johnson & the 7th rounder to get Zane Gonzalez winning with Jets grabbing Dylan Donahue & Elijah Mcguire. Ended 6th staying at pick Caleb Brantley. at my count we sat at our pick 3 times #1(Myles),#65(Ogun) ¹(Brantley) A maze ing!!

I got lost in gumbyville... :(

2017 NFL Draft: Teams that added most talent (1-8)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805888/article/2017-nfl-draft-teams-that-added-most-talent-18

Which teams did the best job of adding talent in the 2017 NFL Draft?

We set out to answer that question using NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt's Hot 150 prospect rankings as the unit of measurement.

Points were assigned to each draftee based on where he ranked in Brandt's Hot 150. The No. 1-rated prospect received 150 points, the No. 2 prospect received 149 points, etc.

Here's how the teams stacked up, using Brandt's rankings as the guide.

browns_logo.jpg
1. Cleveland Browns

Score: 665 points (9 players)
The skinny: It's no surprise to see the Browns atop this list given that they picked three players in Round 1, but they found value in later rounds, as well, helping them to this landslide victory. They added nine players from the Hot 150 -- no other team had more than six.
The players (points):

No. 1: Myles Garrett (150)
No. 21: Gerbil Peppers (130)
No. 29: David Njoku (122)
No. 33: DeShone Kizer (118)
No. 92: Roderick Johnson (59)
No. 132: Howard Wilson (19)
No. 139: Larry Ogunjobi (12)
No. 146: Zane Gonzalez (5)

saints_logo.jpg
2. New Orleans Saints

Score: 522 points (5 players)
The skinny: The Saints finish a distant second, but they did very well for themselves, joining the Browns and Steelers as the only teams to add five prospects from Brandt's top 100.
The players (points):
No. 4: Marshon Lattimore (147)
No. 19 Ryan Ramczyk (132)
No. 38: Marcus Williams (113)
No. 79: Alvin Kamara (72)
No. 93: Alex Anzalone (58)

jets_logo.jpg
3. New York Jets

Score: 453 points (5 players)
The skinny:
The players (points): The Jets' investment in its secondary and pass-catching corps paid off handsomely.
No. 5: Jamal Adams (146)
No. 44: Marcus Maye (107)
No. 71: ArDarius Stewart (80)
No. 74: Jordan Leggett (77)
No. 108: Chad Hansen (43)

redskins_logo.jpg
4. Washington Redskins

Score: 443 points (5 players)
The skinny: The Redskins found great value in Allen, taking him 17th overall (he was Brandt's No. 7-ranked prospect), and doubled-down on Alabama defenders with the selection of Anderson in Round 2.
The players (points):
No. 7: Jonathan Allen (144)
No. 49: Ryan Anderson (102)
No. 65: Samaje Perine (86)
No. 87: Jeremy Sprinkle (64)
No. 104: Fabian Moreau (47)

ravens_logo.jpg
5. Baltimore Ravens

Score: 438 points (5 players)
The skinny: While it might not have the star power of some other top classes, the Ravens join the Browns, Saints and Chargers as the only teams to land at least three players from Brandt's top 50. Like the Redskins, they also opted to double-down on Crimson Tide defenders (Humphrey and Williams).
The players (points):
No. 43: Marlon Humphrey (108)
No. 47: Tim Williams (104)
No. 48: Chris Wormley (103)
No. 68: Tyus Bowser (83)
No. 111: Nico Siragusa (40)

0ap1000000164805.jpg
6 (tie). Jacksonville Jaguars

Score: 420 points (5 players)
The skinny: Jacksonville addressed most of its top needs and landed a great value in Robinson (who went 34th overall), who can help clear holes for top pick Fournette.
The players (points):
No. 2: Leonard Fournette (149)
No. 15: Cam Robinson (136)
No. 75: Dawuane Smoot (76)
No. 98: Dede Westbrook (53)
No. 145: Jalen Myrick (6)

chargers_logo.jpg
6 (tie). Los Angeles Chargers

Score: 420 points (4 players)
The skinny: The Chargers are one of four teams to land at least three players from Brandt's top 50, with King in Round 5 serving as a potential steal.
The players (points):
No. 23: Mike Williams (128)
No. 41: Forrest Lamp (110)
No. 50: Dan Feeney (101)
No. 70: Desmond King (81)

0ap3000000804524.jpg
8. Seattle Seahawks

Score: 419 points (6 players)
The skinny: Seattle cracks the top 8 despite not picking in Round 1, and they are the highest-ranked team of those who made the playoffs last season. They made six picks in Rounds 2-3, and all but one of those selections cracked Brandt's Hot 150.
The players (points):
No. 45: Malik McDowell (106)
No. 54: Ethan Pocic (97)
No. 59: Tedric Thompson (92)
No. 94: Shaquill Griffin (57)
No. 110: Nazair Jones (41)
No. 125: Amara Darboh (26)

Over 140 points between 1st and 2nd.

Paper Stats looking good, let's see how it plays out.

Well, we have been here before...supposedly getting 6 of the top 100 prospects in the 2014 draft. But that didn't work out so well. Gilbert/JFF/Terence West/Desir all became shite pretty much. Only Bito and Kirksey remain.

So...lets wait and see.

Well, we have been here before...supposedly getting 6 of the top 100 prospects in the 2014 draft. But that didn't work out so well. Gilbert/JFF/Terence West/Desir all became shite pretty much. Only Bito and Kirksey remain.

So...lets wait and see.

We got 5(not 6), inside the top 100.......2 very good ones out of 5 is actually an excellent hit rate(and the best we've seen in years)..(40%)..(well above league average).....and, while they didnt help the Browns long term, both Desir and West are still viable players that we gave up on (too?)quickly....which means 4 outta 6 total picks are viable NFLers going onto year 4....

This thread seems like a reasonable place for this gem...

Joe ThomasVerified account @joethomas73

Funniest moment of the night was when @David_Njoku80 asked me if I was a coach!

6:11 PM - 11 May 2017 - 51 replies 861 retweets 3,241 likes

Replying to @joethomas73 @David_Njoku80

I told him I'm a player/coach. Mostly I'll be coaching, but you will see me playing on sundays. 1f602.png

Joe Thomas‏Verified account @joethomas73

I told him I'm a player/coach. Mostly I'll be coaching, but you will see me playing on sundays. 1f602.png

How often would Njoku be lining up next to JT? He will get to know him then....because I suspect that if The Joker does not do his job right JT will be taking a bite out of his ass. JT may ride the Joker so hard in fact that he may turn to JT and ask this question:

0271bf81de67c36c7f69db2f23c38110_comment

Joe Thomas‏Verified account @joethomas73

post-2383-0-75879300-1494684240_thumb.jpg

Archived