THE BROWNS BOARD

Hot Fun in the Summertime Survey

The Gipper

OK, to appease Z, here are some "positive" survey questions about summertime activities:

1. Besides waiting for training camp.....what are your favorite summertime sports to watch or play or take part in?

2. What is your favorite beach(es) (whether you go there in summer or not)?

3. What is your favorite Amusement Park.....past or present?

4. Aside from the above, what is your favorite summertime destination for a vacation or Getaway?

5. What is your favorite "Cool Down" Summertime drink?

Better?

And since I took you back to 1969 for the Summertime Blues with The Who at Woodstock, here I will take you back to that same year and give you another act that played at Woodstock for Hot Sun in the Summertime (though they did not play this song at Woodstock)

OK, to appease Z, here are some "positive" survey questions about summertime activities:

1. Besides waiting for training camp.....what are your favorite summertime sports to watch or play or take part in?

Well, soccer for sure. Apart from that ultimate frisbee is pretty fun. Cricket too, I guess.

2. What is your favorite beach (whether you go there in summer or not)?

I don't really have one, but been to some amazing ones in and around south east asia, as well as this one in greece a couple weeks ago

My buddies and I have been organising an amusment park trip once a year for about 4 years now. We went to Port Aventura last year, for a few days, and stayed in the hotel - accommodation plus park entry was about €50 per person per night, which is pretty decent for Barcelona. We got in to the park, and went to our first ride - MASSIVE queues. Being british I didn't mind, but the others weren't best pleased. So we went back to the hotel, paid about €40 for a 'fast pass' and walked straight back to the front of the queue for same ride. People who were next to us were only about half way through the queue. Anyway, with these passes, we could jump straight to the front of every queue; since it was Oktoberfest at the park it was open until 2am, meaning we could go early, have a lazy lunch, go siesta in the afternoon and chill around the pool, go back for a bit, have dinner, then get back in to the park around 9pm with about 20% of the normal attendance. Best theme park experience of my life.

4. Aside from the above, what is your favorite summertime destination for a vacation or Getaway?

SE Asia, far and away. But, not summertime - as I mentioned elsewhere, summer in London is so shortlived you can't really go anywhere or you miss it. It's glorious when it comes though.

Good beer; young coconut; or apple juice with aloe vera chunks (trust me on that one).

Better?

Since mowing grass is not a sport...would taking a nice hike count? My wife and I like to watch the major golf tournaments on TV....we spent hours last week watching the US Open. But I have not played golf in a decade. I really should start up again.

I/we do not have any particular local beach that we like to go to. I choose various vacation destinations and some have beaches. Favorites I have gone to in the past: Kapalua Beach, Maui. Doheney Beach, Orange Co. Crystal Coast NC.

But the best beaches are on St. John's USVI

http://www.vinow.com/stjohn/beaches_stj/

Grew up going to Chippewa Lake Park in Medina County. My Dad's company always had summer outings there. For a while it was also a very hot spot for music. Easy Street/The Rats even played some in their ballroom.

Of course Cedar Point is an awesome roller coaster park. But I go for the nostalgia.

Only remnants remain of Chippewa Lake park.

Over the last 32 years I have probably gone to 30 different locations for summer vacation....and I won't bore you with the list....and that trend will likely continue.

For a short getaway I generally try to get up to Put-In-Bay to scream "Fuck You Westside" once a summer....all of you should do that. I have been to nearby Lakeside a couple of times as well.

Dasani Water usually. An occasional wine cooler or margarita Beer does not do it for me. Coke used to, but I am trying to stay away from the pop and sugar. An occasional stop at the nearby root beer stand should satisfy the soft drink urge.

But I should experiment with the foo foo drinks more like GFT described.

Better?

Fishing......and maybe a lil bocce...

Eh, not much of a beach or Ocean lover. Find me a pond, lake or river and Im good.

Cedar Point. Love coasters. For nostalgia, it would be Geauga Lake

My favorite getaway is simply a tiny cabin in the woods, hiking trails and a good fishing pond.....travel vacations wear me out.....

Moms banana peach and pineapple smoothy....or my favorite - black cherry soda

Better?

About the same to me.. ;)

Fishing. I love to fly fish for large bluegill.

Outerbanks of NC...love that surf.

Euclid Beach Park. Cedar Point still has a number of rides from there. BTW Gip, I also miss Chippewa Lake.

Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Ice cold water.

Better?

Mike

I enjoy Baseball. the Golf majors are fun.

I participate in golf, riding my bike along the beach and girl-watching. The last two simultaneously.

I am within a 3 mile bike ride of two of the top Beaches in the USA: Barefoot Beach & Delnor-Wiggins Pass, both here in Collier County, Florida. Barefoot is my favorite today, I think they are equally fantastic. I had coffee this morning on Vanderbilt Beach, another fave (Wiggins is actually an extension of Vanderbilt).

Not a huge amusement park guy, but I enjoyed Cedar Point as a kid, and Busch Gardens as an adult (because it had beer). Grew up spending a lot of time at Conneaut Lake Park in NW PA, the park is a shadow of its former self, but the Blue Streak still runs, and it is actually scarier because it is wooden and old and one of these days it is going to make the news.

I like to head to the Keys for long weekends. Hawaii is my favorite vacation destination overall. Travelling Europe in the Summer was something I dd when I was young, and was probably the best vacation.

Cold beer.

Mountain Bike Riding

Moto X Riding

Softball Playing/Coaching/Watching

NHRA Drag Racing

IRL

F1

X-Games

Zuma

Carpinteria

Magic Mountain

San Francisco

Margarita - Blended - Salt

Mike.....Fly fish for bluegill?.....curious, why bluegills over other fish?......and do sunfish and red ears count as bluegills?

Mud,

I fish for all species with fly rods, including trout, steelhead, bass, perch, crappie, catfish, etc but my passion is large 'gills on a 3wt fly rod. Yes, redear & other sunfish are included.

If you've never fly fished & want to try, just shoot me a message.

Mike

Fishing, camping, gardening, traveling, and ground hog hunting.

Been there once - Trunk Bay, U.S. Virgin Islands. Want to go back one day.

Wildernesses - woods, mountains, creeks, lakes...

N.C. to visit friends - last year, went with them to Tennessee - Copper Hill.

Iced Tea, sweentened with real sugar, shaken - not stirred.

alternative- is rootbeer on the rocks.

Mud,

I fish for all species with fly rods, including trout, steelhead, bass, perch, crappie, catfish, etc but my passion is large 'gills on a 3wt fly rod. Yes, redear & other sunfish are included.

If you've never fly fished & want to try, just shoot me a message.

Mike

Will do.....would love to learn some fly fishin......

Though my real motive is that I have an over abundance of hybrid Bluegill, as well as Sunfish & Redears, that need serious culling and would welcome anyone that appreciates catching them....(really need someone to bring a cooler and harvest some poundage).....they're spawning as we speak, so about 80000 more will be born this month.....HA!

So if you need a hot spot to fish and feel like a short road trip(2 hrs from Canton), Im your guy.....Ill message you with the details...

Oh, Mud, I volunteer to drive down with Canton Mike and fish sometime.

I always need more bluegill fillets. I'd like to break out my old 1970's Eagle Claw

fly rod. I think it cost me eight bucks back in the day. My Wifie and I will be glad to

help Canton Mike fix your problem with too many bluegill !

Oh, Mud, I volunteer to drive down with Canton Mike and fish sometime.

I always need more bluegill fillets. I'd like to break out my old 1970's Eagle Claw

fly rod. I think it cost me eight bucks back in the day. My Wifie and I will be glad to

help Canton Mike fix your problem with too many bluegill !

Ha....most of my rods are the 8 buck variety too....(and they're new ;) )....

The more the merrier really.....we can have a Browns board fishin party.....

And Im sure the fish would love to be kept and eaten as opposed to just being raccoon food(which is what Im doing now)....

Though,,,,if you're in Canton, the drive is "up" and about 2 hrs......Oh-Pa line(just below Conneaut)

Ha....most of my rods are the 8 buck variety too....(and they're new ;) )....

The more the merrier really.....we can have a Browns board fishin party.....

And Im sure the fish would love to be kept and eaten as opposed to just being raccoon food(which is what Im doing now)....

Though,,,,if you're in Canton, the drive is "up" and about 2 hrs......Oh-Pa line(just below Conneaut)

Hey that sounds like a cool idea. The Browns Board Fishing Party. While I am not a fisherman, my son is...and he would probably like to join in. We went to Montana last year and he has a fairly new fishing rig that needs more use. He fished I watched. He will be back home some this summer. I am leaving tomorrow to pick him up. Timing on the trip so my boy can make it:

Sometime between July 4th and August 1st....but not the 18th. (after that we have a summer vacation, and he then heads to grad school).

Post it or shoot me a message too.

Better?

1. I play golf, I enjoy watching the golf and tennis "majors" and baseball as well.

2. Not a beach guy at all.

3. Cedar Point by far

4. My own backyard swimming pool.

5. Cold Beer

Though,,,,if you're in Canton, the drive is "up" and about 2 hrs......Oh-Pa line(just below Conneaut Mud

Canton Mike is in N. Canton, we are just ten? minutes N of that.

2 hrs? Piece of cake.

Well, soccer for sure. Apart from that ultimate frisbee is pretty fun. Cricket too, I guess.

2. What is your favorite beach (whether you go there in summer or not)?

I don't really have one, but been to some amazing ones in and around south east asia, as well as this one in greece a couple weeks ago

My buddies and I have been organising an amusment park trip once a year for about 4 years now. We went to Port Aventura last year, for a few days, and stayed in the hotel - accommodation plus park entry was about 50 per person per night, which is pretty decent for Barcelona. We got in to the park, and went to our first ride - MASSIVE queues. Being british I didn't mind, but the others weren't best pleased. So we went back to the hotel, paid about 40 for a 'fast pass' and walked straight back to the front of the queue for same ride. People who were next to us were only about half way through the queue. Anyway, with these passes, we could jump straight to the front of every queue; since it was Oktoberfest at the park it was open until 2am, meaning we could go early, have a lazy lunch, go siesta in the afternoon and chill around the pool, go back for a bit, have dinner, then get back in to the park around 9pm with about 20% of the normal attendance. Best theme park experience of my life.

SE Asia, far and away. But, not summertime - as I mentioned elsewhere, summer in London is so shortlived you can't really go anywhere or you miss it. It's glorious when it comes though.

Good beer; young coconut; or apple juice with aloe vera chunks (trust me on that one).

Better?

Apple juice with aloe vera chunks? WTF are you guys doing over there in the UK

Play: Golf...
Watch: The golf majors

Grew up going to Rehoboth Beach Delaware for summer vaca's... so sentimental #1 there.

Past: Euclid Beach Park. Why? The Flying Turns
Present: Holiday World, Santa Claus, IN. Three world class woodies lead by my #1, The Voyage, in a family owned, family friendly park.

Wherever my grandkids are... which at present is just down the hall a tad...

Lager Shandy... half light lager (Miller Lite does just fine) and half "Simply Lemonade". Finding the right lemonade is the key and "Simply" is the best I have found.

Rehoboth? Maybe I ran into you there. Wife's family lived a time in Va. and we went to Rehoboth a couple of times in the late 70's early 80's for a week or so each summer. I'm too much of a gulf / caribbean warm waters person though.

Yard mowing. Chase out baby deer and rabbits in the "outback" when the wild grass gets too high.

There are several isolated beaches on the small islands in Morrocoy National park on the coast of Venezuela.https://www.google.com/search?q=morrocoy+national+park+beach&biw=1600&bih=763&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uTuRVZvUFcvOsAX4n4L4DQ&ved=0CCgQ7Ak&dpr=1#imgrc=oMnxZT9AgGLvjM%3A

Kids/grandkids loved the Disney Cruise to the Caribbean and Bahamas

4. Aside from the above, what is your favorite summertime destination for a vacation or Getaway? Any decent coral beach with good snorkeling.

5. What is your favorite "Cool Down" Summertime drink? Grape G2 Gatorade

I/we do not have any particular local beach that we like to go to. I choose various vacation destinations and some have beaches. Favorites I have gone to in the past: Kapalua Beach, Maui. Doheney Beach, Orange Co. Crystal Coast NC.

But the best beaches are on St. John's USVI

http://www.vinow.com/stjohn/beaches_stj/

Every snorkel at Waterlemon Cay there? Nice little spot and fairly unknown since it's a short walk and swim over to it.

Every snorkel at Waterlemon Cay there? Nice little spot and fairly unknown since it's a short walk and swim over to it.

I did not snorkel as I could not see underwater well without my glasses, and I don't wear contacts and you can't wear glasses and snorkel. I subsequently purchased some prescription snorkel lenses which I have used a few times.

This is Trunk Bay - the beautiful beach at US Virgin Islands that Gip mentioned.

Trunk Bay was #1 on that list ! cool.

. At

the shoreline, out around the island, this side you're looking at...there is an underwater park.

Things labeled... etc. There was a crease on this side of the

island on the left - we swam up into it, and clouds of fish were

everywhere.

I reckon it's because a barracuda swam past.... and we stayed

in the crease til it left.

Beautiful, crystal clear water.

3180860314_41ea6341c8_z.jpg?zz=1

This is Trunk Bay - the beautiful beach at US Virgin Islands that Gip mentioned.

. At

the shoreline, out around the island, this side you're looking at...there is an underwater park.

everywhere.

That looks amazing, it's going on my list.

. At

everywhere.

Yep, if you go to the Barber Shop Forum and look up my Best of America thread that I put up a few years ago, I believe I rated this my #1 beach.....or at least mentioned it in the top 2-3.

Archived