THE BROWNS BOARD

Great Nicknames

The Gipper

LOl... Manziel has earned many more nicknames than that!

Joe "The Brown Bomber" Louis

Ernie "Arrowhead" Holmes...the shooter of police helicopters.

Wasn't there a "bullethead" on the Browns. His last name was Johnson, first name escapes me. Linebacker.

He was hard to find, but I found him on YouTube. Eddie "Bullethead" Johnson.

I've know him to be called "bullethead" but evidently he was known as the "assissin" as well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It occured to me, that there is a famous one missing. Oddly enough, it's a running back, the same

size as Duke Johnson.

The same name. How is that for cool?

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Johnson_(American_football)

It occured to me, that there is a famous one missing. Oddly enough, it's a running back, the same

size as Duke Johnson.

Not to burst your bubble, but already got him......gotta say i always liked that nickname.....back in the day, those white shoes looked fasssssssssst!!!!

Clyde The Glide Drexler.....Billy White Shoes Johnson.....The Refridgerator....Turkey Jones......Big Daddy Carl Hairston....Karl The Mailman Malone....Neon Deon....

lots of boxers like ....Boom Boom Mancini...Tommy Hitman Hearns...money maker....sugar ray....

size as Duke Johnson.

Is "Duke" a nickname for Johnson? Or is that his real first name?

Good question, his first name is actually Randy. But the "DUKE" is in -quotes- (lol),

so it's a prominent middle name used as the first name, or he didn't have a

middle name or something.

Beats me.

Duke "White Shoes" Johnson. I think that's great.

"Strauss the Mouse"

Bruce Strauss (born February 6, 1952 in Omaha, Nebraska)[1] is a retired boxer who is more known for his losses than for his wins. His nickname is The Mouse. He achieved notoriety in the 1970s and 1980s after fighting, and generally losing, to a wide variety of opponents, with him also being known for his cheery, easy-going personality. It has been estimated that, combined with his fights using the Ruben Bardot alias, he might have actually lost more than 150 fights by knockout. He himself has made mockery of his knockout loss number, stating that he is "probably the only boxer in history that has lost by knockout on every continent." He once joked that the only reason that he hadn't fought and lost in Antarctica was that he hated being cold.

I remembered watching this guy on tv sometime in the 70's and thought it was a funny name for a boxer "Strauss the Mouse". The only time I saw him fight he got clobbered which apparently was something he was used to.

size as Duke Johnson.

No bubble bursting here, but B. "White Shoes" Johnson was not a RB but was a bitchin kick returner and WR. Those White Shoes were not that fast in the Wildcard Game in Cleveland in the Snow, as I Froze My Ass Off from the Pound. Woof Woof!! We good with DuuuKKKEEE for now.

Nice job, Gumby - I was wrong, I labeled him a rb because I remembered his

running the ball like a little wild man and going for big yards.

Except it -was- on krs.

Still a great nickname.

Nice job, Gumby - I was wrong, I labeled him a rb because I remembered his

running the ball like a little wild man and going for big yards.

Except it -was- on krs.

Still a great nickname.

Good stuff. Think you and many other players still have thoughts of Earl Campbell running them over.

Earl Campbell? Sure do. Mean Joe Greene said Earl inflicted more damage on a defense

than any other player he ever faced.

He paid a price for all the collisions.

He was scary good.

https://youtu.be/zz_XcCJ_ENc

There was a guy whose nickname was "Death to Flying Things". Interesting how one could get such a moniker.

...in checking....this guy Bob Ferguson, played before ballplayers actually used mitts. He was adept at catching the ball with his bare hands. (or as some surmised, he was a good duck hunter)

Other old nicknames:

Lou Gehrig before he became the Iron Horse had the nickname "Biscuit Pants"

Pud "Little Steam Engine" Galvin

Hugh "Losing Pitcher" Mulcahy....but that went over well.

Frank "The Piano Mover" Smith

George "High Pockets" Kelly.

The Flying Tomato. Shaun White, Snowboarder. Always liked that one.

Bill "Wagon Tongue" Keister......because he never stopped talking.

Babe Phelps...The Blimp. Because of his portly build. Oddly though he was afraid to fly and when his team started to travel by air, he retired and became "The Grounded Blimp".

Archived