Zombo

5 observations from Day 1 of Browns minicamp

Posted 1 hour ago

Kevin Jones

Staff Writer

@Mr_KevinJones Facebook

Josh McCown was slinging the rock, making big plays

1) Josh McCown was slinging the rock

Mike Pettine told us last week minicamp would be a “best hits” in terms of the play-calling and it sure looked that way. McCown said this is the best day the offense has had all spring and much of that was because of his performance Tuesday. Multiple 45-yard throws down the sideline went for touchdowns and crossing patterns over the middle were successful against the normally stingy Browns secondary. McCown, in particular, looks like he’s developed a rhythm with Andrew Hawkins. After one touchdown pass in which Hawkins beat Pro Bowler Joe Hadenin coverage, an energized McCown ran up to linebacker Paul Kruger and said, “I had that ball on a yo-yo.”

McCown said part of the inconsistencies during OTAs had to do with one player, here and there, busting a play up. Now with more time, some of those issues are being cleaned up.

“We got good work in,” McCown said. “It’s making sure everyone is on the same page and that we are executing on a high level. We captured that today a little bit. It’s something we have to build on.”

2) Danny Shelton made his debut with the veterans

Cleveland’s 339-pounder graduated from the University of Washington on Saturday, flew into Cleveland on Sunday, passed a physical Monday and threw on his No.71 jersey Tuesday for his first work alongside Phil Taylor and the rest of the team’s veterans.

There will be a learning curve for Shelton this week at mini-camp. Defensive line coaches Anthony Weaver and Tony Tuioti have been long-distance coaching Shelton, and the rookie has gravitated toward both Taylor and Ishmaa’ily Kitchen in the classroom. When he wasn’t finishing up his college coursework, Shelton took up MMA training several times a week to work on his fitness. He’s stayed busy.

Shelton knows this will be a big week for him to prove to teammates he can be a contributor this season.

“Obviously there’s going to be some slack,” Shelton said. “But at the same time coach Tony, he’s been there with me these past two days just making sure I have all the plays down.”

3) The slot receiver position has been a fluid and exciting situation

Players who lined up as a slot receiver on Tuesday: Running back Isaiah Crowell, tight end Rob Housler and wide receivers Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline, Taylor Gabriel, Hawkins and Rodney Smith. Instead of running rigid, baseline formations, offensive coordinator John DeFilippo has displayed his creativity in June. Cleveland is running a matchup-style passing attack, and it’s looking like who plays where will be constantly in flux to throw off the opponent.

4) A few injuries – but nothing serious

Safety Tashaun Gipson (hamstring), defensive back Tramon Williams, Taylor and rookie offensive lineman Cameron Erving spent a healthy portion of mini-camp on the exercise bike and taking mental reps from the sidelines. Pettine said none of the injuries are expected to linger into late July when training camp begins. Center Alex Mack (leg) shared snaps with Ryan Seymour, which Pettine viewed as a big positive.

5) Other notes

*Randy Starks seems to have upped the intensity of the other defensive lineman during practice. The 12th-year veteran attacks practice dummies like it’s Week 12 against the Ravens.

*The first-team defensive line rotation played a bunch together on Tuesday: Desmond Bryant-Starks-Kitchen. Weaver has said the Browns would like to develop hockey lines to build continuity with certain groups. More on this to come.

*Glenn Winston, Luke Lundy and Shaun Draughn are not going to go quietly in competing for the fourth running back slot. All three can catch passes out of the backfield, shed tackles and, most importantly, play special teams. Carries may not be plentiful, but there seems to be a role on the team for one of these three.

*Scott Solomon continues to take nearly every first-team repetition at outside linebacker next to Paul Kruger while Barkevious Mingo continues to recover from shoulder surgery.

*Pettine said the coaching staff will evaluate every single player on the roster following mini-camp to get a gauge on where things stand. One discussion could revolve around getting safety Jordan Poyer playing time in certain packages. The safety has received constant praise from coaches and teammates throughout the spring and has been effective as a blitzer, too.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh McCown was slinging the rock, making big plays
1) Josh McCown was slinging the rock
Mike Pettine told us last week minicamp would be a “best hits” in terms of the play-calling and it sure looked that way. McCown said this is the best day the offense has had all spring and much of that was because of his performance Tuesday. Multiple 45-yard throws down the sideline went for touchdowns and crossing patterns over the middle were successful against the normally stingy Browns secondary. McCown, in particular, looks like he’s developed a rhythm with Andrew Hawkins. After one touchdown pass in which Hawkins beat Pro Bowler Joe Hadenin coverage, an energized McCown ran up to linebacker Paul Kruger and said, “I had that ball on a yo-yo.”
McCown said part of the inconsistencies during OTAs had to do with one player, here and there, busting a play up. Now with more time, some of those issues are being cleaned up.
“We got good work in,” McCown said. “It’s making sure everyone is on the same page and that we are executing on a high level. We captured that today a little bit. It’s something we have to build on.”

Really like what we're hearing about McCown and how well he seems to be doing.....sounds like he's really gaining the confidence of the other players and looking pretty good in drills.....

Here's todays QB report from NFL network....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap3000000497303/Johnny-Manziel-struggles-at-minicamp?icampaign=nflcom-cs-homepage-videoswap_generic_nfl

NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala covered the Browns' practice today and was asked "if there is any way Johnny could beat out McCown and be the starter on opening day" and she said:

"MCown would have to fall flat on his face, trip, or break every single bone in his body. Josh McCown looked phenomenal today, he is repeatedly completing long passes, this is clearly his team, guys respond to him."

"Johnny Manziel in one 11 on 11 series, I saw him fumble the snap 3 times. He's still not completing passes, he's still not looking particularly comfortable....... It's not happening, any time soon. I'm sorry, it's just not."

Good stuff...

One puzzler:

"*The first-team defensive line rotation played a bunch together on Tuesday: Desmond Bryant-Starks-Kitchen."

I'll be honest, that McCown interview was the first time I have actually heard him talk, or at least paid any attention to him. I have to say, I can see why he's so well liked by his teammates..... Dude seems like a man's man.

Good stuff...

One puzzler:

"*The first-team defensive line rotation played a bunch together on Tuesday: Desmond Bryant-Starks-Kitchen."

Big Phil rehabbing that knee. Only puzzling thing is Hughes not taking his spot. That said, if John is coming in as a second string player then our rotation is going to be scary good.

Day 2:

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 31m31 minutes ago Ohio, USA
#browns tashaun Gipson still on the bike today on day 2 of minicamp with the hammy. Phil Taylor, Tramon williams and cam erving biking too
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 21m21 minutes ago Ohio, USA
#browns cb justin Gilbert not on field today. No reason provided yet. Rookie DL Xavier Cooper back from illness

#browns cb justin Gilbert not on field today. No reason provided yet.

apparently he was excused for family related personal reasons....Pettine said no injury or issues there.....

He grabbed another really nice pick yesterday too.....lookin good...;)

Sorry Mud but there is a issue and was like everyone else on the other trends that Gilbert was going to grow out of last season. But this is the same as last season with the family personal reason excuse. He's our 1st pick, on the boarder of being a starter in 2016 and I will almost guarantee you Farmer and Pettine have got a question for draftees about family issues at this point??

A few notes from Wednesdays practice: (message sent to Mingo that it's time for his "potential" to equal plays on the field)

#Browns DC O'Neil on D. Shelton's return: "In 2 days, he's had only one bust and we've thrown everything at him. I can't be happier.''

#Browns DC O'Neil issued a challenge to B. Mingo (shoulder surgery): "He's going to have to come back and earn (playing time)'' at OLB

#Browns DC O'Neil: "(OLB) Scott Solomon is quickly becoming 1 of my favorite players on defense.'' Sees him pressing A Bryant at edge-rusher

#Browns DC O'Neil said Mingo is team's best coverage LB, but will need to up his game as edge rusher now that N.Orchard here, A.Bryant back

#Browns OC Flip said offense hit a funk in OTAs but rebounded in minicamp, scored 3 TDs in 4 red zone plays Wednesday.

#Browns Flip on McCown: "He's a better QB now than he was in 2007. Haven't seen anything that tells me his skills have declined at all.''

#Browns OC Flip: "Everything that you're looking for in a quarterback, Josh (McCown) has.''

From today's practice: ( Gilbert has me concerned still )

#browns tashaun Gipson hits the trifecta today: 3rd and final day of minicamp on the bike

#browns cb justin Gilbert excused for 2nd straight day to deal with a family matter

Sorry Mud but there is a issue and was like everyone else on the other trends that Gilbert was going to grow out of last season. But this is the same as last season with the family personal reason excuse.

( Gilbert has me concerned still )

I will say there is something kind of strange about him.....not sure what it is, but he just seems weird......

I do know he's an introvert and a complete loner. Doesnt eat or hang with other players.....and really comes off(to me) as strange when interviewed....

Dont know if this ties into his "personal problems".....but I have wondered to myself if he has some kind of emotional or mental issues.....bi polar?.....depression?.....social anxiety?.....something like that......dunno, Im probably very wrong, but it has me wondering.....

I will say there is something kind of strange about him.....not sure what it is, but he just seems weird......

I do know he's an introvert and a complete loner. Doesnt eat or hang with other players.....and really comes off(to me) as strange when interviewed....

Dont know if this ties into his "personal problems".....but I have wondered to myself if he has some kind of emotional or mental issues.....bi polar?.....depression?.....social anxiety?.....something like that......dunno, Im probably very wrong, but it has me wondering.....

A.i. says it's only practice and it is only June. May we all have a Snickers and Relax? I do love me some S. Soloman doing well at camp the Dude can Wrap and Tackle. This 53 man roster will have some surprises and its a good problem but get it right when the Lights come on.

Hate to profile, but this has all the signs of Sugar Pitches and maybe the 2nd Michael Sams. I understand it your option. But do we know he's dating women??

Hate to profile, but this has all the signs of Sugar Pitches and maybe the 2nd Michael Sams. I understand it your option. But do we know he's dating women??

no no no....not where I was goin.....just thinking out loud...what I said is what I meant....no lines to peer between there....

Big three vids are up at clevelandbrowns.com.

Pet's (9:39) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Mike-Pettine-We-Accomplished-A-Lot-This-Spring/87e3d4fd-920a-45c6-83ff-8a42160c7ad7

• Can't remember Pet talking about "practice efficiency before"... praises staff for mini-camp organization.
  • On season without "Manziel Mania": "Can't lie and say 'I miss that.'"
  • Offseason stand-outs: K'waun WIlliams and Gabe.
  • On Desir: "He's progressed as we would expect given his (strong) work ethic. We know at minimum that he's a good match-up guy... bigger WRs on the line... TEs."
  • On 4-man D-line: "We say we're 3-4, but we are more 3.5-3.5 the way we do it."
  • "Love the (skill) diversity of the TE room."
Flip's (12:39) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/DeFilippo_The_Offense_Is_Riding_The_Wave/9c989fff-057f-414f-924e-9bfe2e79e2d1
  • Offense is about 90% in.
  • On McCown: "He's a much better... much smarter QB than he was in '07. All those things you are looking for in a starting QB Josh McCown has."
  • "When Josh has peaks and valleys in practice sometimes is when he's worried about the ten other guys and not himself."
  • On JM: "I saw him the other day get to his third progression which was fantastic. Other area of improvement... huddle management. Has he made every throw as 'strike-point' accurate as we want? No... but that will come. You want to work outside in with these guys. You want to work the 'big picture' and then you can really hone in on what they need to do with the other parts of playing QB."
  • On WR corps: "... a great job of going out and adding a lot of diversity and body types." Overlap, but no duplication in skill sets of even the same body type.
  • On QB competition: "I don't see a change going into camp, but we are a long way from Kick-off against the Jets. Last year I was place where we were sold on a starter, too, then a rookie came in and out played him in the Pre-season."
  • On RB use: "Ride the back with the hot hand."
  • On Cam: "Cam is in the mix. (Day One of training camp) probably RG."
  • On Schwartz/ Greco: "I like both. I think Mitchell has gotten a lot better in pass protection this Off-season. It's hard to tell without the pads on... I'm pleased with Schwartz. I'm pleased with Greco. I think both of those guys have had a positive Spring." (The lack of specifics on Greco were noteable.)
O'Neil's (12:33) - http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/ONeil_Proud_Of_Where_The_Defense_Is_At/a075269e-3f29-4d43-a11a-ab15ff526c8f
  • On stopping the run: "Staff got beat up a bit in Phase 2 since players can't go against each other so the coaches have to be 'the dummies'. I had some bruises on my chest... It's been a point of emphasis for us. I'm happy with where we are at, but we'll really know in a couple months."
  • Changes Year 2: "We'll look a little different... every year since we build scheme around players. Our top calls last year will not be our top this year. We have new pieces to work with."
  • On Dansby Pre-snap: 80% of time he gathers info that helps position him... OK with 80, but there were times it hurt. Spent time coaching him up. He had phenomenal year. His alignments are not "the reason" we struggled against the run.
  • On the Roster: Defensive staff met with Farmer's staff last night. "The thing I love about Ray and Pet's philosophy is we are going to keep the 53 best players. So if we are one or two 'heavy' (at a position)..."
  • On Shelton: "Very, very smart... In two days he's only had one bust and we threw the whole playbook at him."
  • On playing time: "Nobody is guaranteed anything on the Defense. You are going to have to earn Playing Time and we are deep in every position group."
  • Under the Radar Players by Position: "I'm excited by all (these) guys."
    • D-line: "Xavier Cooper... He's different than anything we have. His ability to get off the ball."
    • OLB: "Scott Solomon... He brings something to the table we were missing last year, especially on early downs."
    • ILB: "Tank Carder... He has had an unbelievable off-season. Never had a chance to evaluate him last year (injuries). I can envision him earning a role as a blitzer. He is one of the best blitzers on our team."
    • DB: "Poyer has opened my eyes. His pre-snap communication has been outstanding. He's improved in man coverage."
  • On Gipson's return: "I'm excited to have Gip back in the building. He stayed in his playbook. He's talking in the meeting rooms like he hasn't missed a beat."
  • On the changing game: "Smaller, quicker, faster guys are better against (ZBS attack) and the pass. There's no doubt that those old-school, come-downhill-and-knock-your head-off linebackers are a dying breed."
  • On Mingo: "Right now he's our best OLB in coverage. We'll see when the pads come on how well he sets the edge."
More professional summary of Jim's thoughts on D here: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/6/18/8810401/notes-from-browns-defensive-coordinator-jim-oneil-on-final-day-of

On Shelton: "Very, very smart... In two days he's only had one bust and we threw the whole playbook at him."

Most underappreciated statement ever uttered about Shelton. He will end up another coach on the field as time goes by. It would not surprise me at all to see him calling out the O play while diagnosing what he sees on the field from what he saw in the film room in prepping for games. Dat Nguyen used to do that as MLB for the Boys.

Archived