THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody Else Going To The First Practice This Sat? (July 28Th)

calfoxwc

Just curious... Canton Mike, my Dad and I are going to go tomorrow morning. I hear you should probly bring your own lawn chairs..

should be a big crowd. Probly should be there well before 8:45.

We were wondering if anybody else was goin....

Can you use a camcorder at all? camera?

Canton Mike says he is the guy with the grey crewcut and beard, and will be wearing

a Joe Thomas jersey... (til he overheats, eh) and I'll be there with my white Elvis Costume with

Richardson's, Colt's, and Weeden's names embroidered on the back............@@

(okay, just kidding about the Elvis thing.....)

I'm going to the game in Detroit, can't wait. Pumped for the season. I have the same feeling I had back in 85 after we got Kosar. Many good things to come.

Notes I noted after watching the Browns' first open to the public practice:

Weeden is elite. On the field, he just is - in practice drills, the other qb's just do them. With Weeden,

the drills really happen - his release, fast flight of the ball and accuracy is effortless. I actually was wondering if Colt

might start an exhibition game or two as an unofficial starter - because he knows the offense........but Weeden goes through 5 on 5's or whatever it was

like he's been with the Browns for a couple of years. Now, Wallace doesn't impress me at all - I'd be glad if the Browns

cut him. Colt has elite heart, and excellent mobility. Thaddeus Lewis is an interesting guy, decent arm, and seems to enjoy

the game, and being a Cleveland Brown. Seneca acts like playing football for big bucks sucks. He needs to go.

It seems to me, like being around Seneca Wallace would be depressing. Even in a real game.

But Weeden - it's obvious to everybody surely - he goes through practices and it seems like there should be

a golden "ELITE" holographic image just above his helmet wherever he goes. GGG

Anyways, Richardson is amazing. Talk about "effortless"... even little practice drills - he just looks like a guy

who will punish lb's for TD's, while running like a blue chip cb on his way out of a jam to a TD on a return. He's amazing..

But the final piece of the offensive line puzzle will change the offense's giant weakness, RT, into a huge strength. Schwartz has a powerfully built

base - and can move and anchor at RT like we haven't seen for years. He's athletic, not so much as Joe Thomas, but for a RT, he practices

intensely, and looks like he will make all the difference on the right side.. In the NFL, you must have bookend tackles to have a complete offense.

Schwartz is that final piece of the puzzle that will stop the blitz from the right side, stop the shutting down of runs and scrambles to the right...

that's my impression of watching him. he's no Joe Thomas, yeah, but he's a legit RT. That's what we needed - a tough-nosed, very strong, kick ass run blocker

at RT, who can also do a pretty good ? job in pass protection. A huge improvement at RT.

I don't believe there was any other RT who could step in as a rookie, and play solid, later on in the draft. We'll see.

Gordon, wr, looks like a Little, only a bit taller, and stronger, He has serious athleticism. He moves like an elite wr. We'll see how much he contributes

as a rookie for the Browns. But he seems to be "all that" - he's quick, super coordinated, and really catches the ball naturally. Last year,

it seemed like only Little was the QUICK break get-open wr on the field. MoMass is a long strider - he doesn't spring in and out of his breaks,

and that seems to make it tough for him to get open. This year, there's Little, Gordon, and about three other guys who really

are very fast, and make those quick breaks. Things are looking up.

John Hughes, DT, is no Taylor mini-me. He holds his own exactly as a run stopper like a brick wall, not so much as Phil Taylor, but still...

Seems to me that Taylor is a 4 foot thick brick wall, and Hughes is a 2.75 foot thick brick wall. I'm not worried.

and Joe Haden. You don't have to look for him to watch him - he's a special player. In drills, he also should have that golden "ELITE"

holograph over his head wherever he goes. He's amazing. You can't help but notice him - he's that special a player.

I also noticed that a couple of high screwell guys standing behind us, who were yapping constantly for an hour. Their favorite movies. Their

favorite music. How they played football in jr high and pee wee and how THEY were taught how to play football. And criticizing any Browns

player that moved. Except for Weeden....When they finally left and went to the other side of the field, I turned to Canton Mike and said "Hey, Beavis and Butthead finally left".....

That's all I noticed - the rest of the time I was drinking root beers out of Canton Mike's soft side cooler. Maybe Mike will add more stuff.

I was so keen on watching Richardson, that I didn't notice any other rb.

I did notice that Jackson is no slouch at rb last year. We won't be disappointed at rb.

As Cal stated, Weeden didn't hesitate & threw very well. Colt was slow to react & tentative, repeatedly throwing short dump offs. I don't think Colt OR Seneca are suitable backups. We'll see what happens, but there is a HUGE gap between Weeden &the rest.

I did watch Jackson & liked what I saw. Good acceleration without "dancing". He'll be a very nice complement to TR. TR is fantastic!

There was a lot to like, but keep in mind depth is still needed.

Mike

Good stuff guys! I found this:

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=19&post_id=2331

Eyes on Berea: 7-28-12

By: Will Burge

In the public eye – Today was the first day that training camp was open to the public and 2,937 fans showed up to watch what Pat Shurmur called “their team”.

Early on, in wide receiver drills, Josh Gordon caught a ball down the sidelines and it was met with loud cheers. Gordon was surprised by the reaction.

“It was different, it being a practice, totally different,” said Gordon. “It felt welcoming. It felt like a place that I definitely want to call home.”

The crowd also went crazy for a deep pass down the sidelines to Greg Little for a touchdown.

The learning curve – Brandon Weeden was obviously frustrated with himself a few times during practice. The first two days open to the media have not been kind to Brandon as the offense is struggling to find its way.

The fact that there are four rookies working with the first unit makes his job very difficult. Weeden rolled out to his left today and tried to hit Greg Little on a deep pass but instead he left it a little short and it was nearly intercepted by TJ Ward.

Weeden also tried to thread the needle on a route up the seam and it was almost picked off by Eric Hagg. As I said yesterday, the defense is always ahead of the offense at this point in the year.

I still own this place – After the Browns rocked the Cleveland sports world yesterday with their reported interest in selling the team, no one would expect current owner Randy Lerner to be anywhere near Berea.

This is still Lerner’s property and kudos to him for showing up to watch training camp today. He stood with team president Mike Holmgren in the middle of the practice field and took in the action.

How about that depth? – We found out today that Ahtyba Rubin will be out a few more weeks and was placed in the physically unable to perform list along with Phil Taylor and fullback Eddie Williams. We also found out that Evan Moore was placed on the PUP list for a non-football related injury. Good thing for the Browns they have depth at both the defensive line position, with the drafting of John Hughes and Billy Winn, and at the tight end position, with Ben Watson and Jordan Cameron.

I asked Josh Cribbs, who has seen quite a bit here in Cleveland, if this was the deepest the roster has ever been during his tenure. He replied emphatically, “Yes!”

I'm not there because I live in Virginia so I get all of my info on Twitter. What I've gathered is Richardson, Weeden, Hardesty (!), and Gordon have been exceptionally special and impressive on offense. On defense Haden has taken a big leap, James-Michael Johnson has been impressive for a rookie fourth round (I think fourth round) pick, and Eric Hagg is making a very good case for himself on becoming the starting FS.

Can anyone confirm this info or is this once again just blind hope for the team we love?

Also, please add more and more info if you went to the practices because I'd love to read what all you guys saw and took in. I'd love to be there.

On the official Browns website forum, I found several posts that had quotes and links from media members that were at practice, and in a nut shell, their articles said that Weeden looked awful. Just another day in Browns camp. :D

Weeden didn't look awful. He looked new. I couldn't; care less about a few mistakes this flippin early in practices.

That stuff doesn't matter now. What matters, is Weeden's talent, which is excellent.

Weeden didn't look awful. He looked new. I couldn't; care less about a few mistakes this flippin early in practices.

That stuff doesn't matter now. What matters, is Weeden's talent, which is excellent.

Well, someone I trust sad it looked like Weeden had a Tebow like windup, and a slow release. Missed a few throws too. Care to comment?

PS it's the first day of training camp, and doesn't mean much. I haven't forgotten Ben Gay looked like the second coming of Leroy Kelly preseason- and went nowhere- except back to his job at Speedway.

Well, someone I trust sad it looked like Weeden had a Tebow like windup, and a slow release. Missed a few throws too. Care to comment? Mr. Hoorta

???? That's hilarious.

In the fast paced drill, the qb stands still, and they flip footballs to him as fast as he can throw to a target receiver to his left at a oh, 45 degree angle,

then straight ahead to another, and then to another to the right at 45 degrees.

Weeden rapid fired those suckers faster than the other three dramatically. And he was accurate with them.

There was no wind up nothin. Weeden rapid fire caught the flip, and the ball was on it's way to the receiver target. In the other drills, yeah, he missed a few,

and it you go back and see Weeden film in college, he certainly looks like an anti-Tebow in throwing motion, to me.

Good grief.

With all the talk about Weeden being the next Joe Montanya, I found a comment from a Browns fan in an article:

"PCAurand July 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I didn't even see Holmgren at practice today. McCoy looks like a better QB than Weeden. Weeden had terrible accuracy no one could catch his passes. As a whole the team did not look very good today."

Just remember everyone has an opinion. Jake Delhomme looked like he was gonna be on fire when he was playing in preseason. Gotta wait to see the old man throw in a real game.

With all the talk about Weeden being the next Joe Montanya, I found a comment from a Browns fan in an article:

"PCAurand July 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I didn't even see Holmgren at practice today. McCoy looks like a better QB than Weeden. Weeden had terrible accuracy no one could catch his passes. As a whole the team did not look very good today."

Just remember everyone has an opinion. Jake Delhomme looked like he was gonna be on fire when he was playing in preseason. Gotta wait to see the old man throw in a real game.

Joe Montanya?

joe-mantegna-01.jpg

Archived