THE BROWNS BOARD

Hank is back!

Tour2ma

Hank's following of the Browns has been discussed here before.... but it's been a while...

Hank Aaron explains how he is a fan of the Browns
Including a story about TE Ozzie Newsome, who attended college in Aaron’s home city.
by Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature
May 27, 2017, 8:19pm EDT

Earlier this week, we encouraged fans to write about why they are fans of the Cleveland Browns. Coincidentally, one of the greatest baseball players of all time, Hank Aaron told cleveland.com today one of the reasons he was a Browns fan, and it came about due to his rooting interest in TE Ozzie Newsome:

“[Newsome] went to the University of Alabama. I kind of followed his career when the ballclub drafted him. Then, I followed him all through his playing career. He was probably one of the top tight ends in football. And then, of course, they missed out on going to the Super Bowl by one game. Brian Sipe, I think, threw a pass that he shouldn't of thrown. Then, what's his name fumbled on the two or three yard line. I kind of followed him and kind of felt sorry for him. Then, I followed him when he was named general manager of the Baltimore Ravens.”

Aaron was born and raised in Mobile, Alabama. He was in Cleveland today to be part of the statue unveiling at Progressive Field for Frank Robinson:

Doing some more digging, it sounds like Aaron’s fandom with the Browns started earlier than Newsome’s days with the Browns. Here is a video clip for ESPN’s Believeland, which features Aaron talking about how he used to be incognito in the Dawg Pound:
(Article has embedded video segment from "Believeland".)

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/5/27/15705682/hank-aaron-explains-how-he-is-a-fan-of-the-browns

A little off topic but at one time I questioned whether or not Roger Marris's 61 homers in one season would ever be broken in my lifetime and then Sosa, McGuire and Bonds obliterated it but then we find out they all were using steroids. Aaron got his homeruns without cheating. Glad to see Hank is a Browns fan, this is the first I had heard it.

I've known this for years... You would be surprised but there was a "Whose , Who" in Browns fandom back in the day....

Another guy who many may not know was a Browns fan: Elvis Presley.

yup , I knew that as well..

Archived