THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns hire Ryan Grigson, former Colts GM, as senior personnel executive

Canton Dawg

Cleveland Browns have Terry Talkin' (Grigson) -- Terry Pluto (photos)

Posted on May 27, 2017 at 7:42 AM

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

terrypluto2003@yahoo.com

ABOUT RYAN GRIGSON

The Browns have not hired Ryan Grigson to be general manager. That's Sashi Brown, who runs the football operation.

Nor is Grigson the player personnel director. That's Andrew Berry.

A former Indianapolis Colts general manager (2012-16), Grigson was named senior personnel executive.

I asked around about what Grigson will do. He is under Brown and Berry. In fact, Grigson used to be Berry's boss with the Colts.

Grigson had a spotty record as a Colts general manager. He made the disastrous Trent Richardson deal with Joe Banner in 2013. Unfortunately, that 2014 first-rounder was used in the Johnny Manziel deal.

Banner was gone by the 2014 draft. Richardson and Manziel are out of the NFL. That trade hurt Grigson's reputation.

The Browns plan to use Grigson almost like a super scout. He will look at pro and college players. He will even visit some colleges to research prospects. He spent his first 14 years in the NFL as a scout, and the Browns believe that is his strength.

It goes back to what I opined earlier Tour. OK, given that Grigson sucked as a GM. Can't say how much of those bad decisions were Irsay's doing. But- if he's a "supposed" super scout- you mean to tell me as GM, he was just signing off on what his underling scouting department was telling him? Like yeah- OK guys- you're saying this kid is going to be good so we'll draft him? Didn't bother to a least take a casual look at the guys who were potential first three round talent himself and form an opinion?

Doesn't make me feel any better about the hire- though there's nothing I can do about it, except hope Berry knows something I don't.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. I doubt we have any way of judging his scouting expertise. Just have to trust Andrew Berry on this one.

From the laboratory of Gumland..Grigs got scouting start in 98 CFL-Saskatchewan. next season 99 landed as scout in Arena League-Buffalo. Grigs landed with Rams in 99-03 as scout. Rams win SB in 99. Rams NFC Champs in 01. Grigs arrives in Philly as scout in 2004-05.Eagles win NFC Champ & SB appearance in 04. Grigs promoted with Philly to director of college scouting 06-09.Director of player personal in Philly 2010-11 than off to Colts..I tell you all this^^ to tell you this..Get your SB tickets now. The Browns are now favorites to win division and/or SB this season. This would be Grigson's 3rd team as a NFL scout in his 1st season with team that won a Title..it's his after in scouting,that is not so good

My Browns' SB is in late October... in London!

It goes back to what I opined earlier Tour. OK, given that Grigson sucked as a GM. Can't say how much of those bad decisions were Irsay's doing. But- if he's a "supposed" super scout- you mean to tell me as GM, he was just signing off on what his underling scouting department was telling him? Like yeah- OK guys- you're saying this kid is going to be good so we'll draft him? Didn't bother to a least take a casual look at the guys who were potential first three round talent himself and form an opinion?

Doesn't make me feel any better about the hire- though there's nothing I can do about it, except hope Berry knows something I don't.

So you think a "casual look" is enough? C'mon, man... And there's no need to bring Irsay into it.

You show me the greatest scout in the history of the game, and if all the does is continue to "scout" after being made GM, and I'll show you a GM that will fail.

GM vs. Scout... yes, there's overlap, but there is so much more to being a GM.

Gotta say, no matter what this guys resume is, it's not as if we hired him to be our GM or make big decisions.......its a group thing here......so, just a small piece of a much larger puzzle(albeit, a fairly unimpressive one)....

Peter principle is something Ive spoken of many times here.....and a fall back to the position that got you promoted in the first place is probably a good thing......

Archived