THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Coleman... Shon that is...

Tour2ma

Cutting Erving is a great idea....starting Coleman may also be a great idea(well have to wait to see on that one).....but, after cutting Erving, not having a legit(& NFL experienced) RT concerns me....

Feels, to me, like the Browns elect new starters(a little too early) and immediately cut the previous player(competitor, starter, alternate), as opposed to retaining them(and RT feels that way too...like Barny?....Whitner?.....Gip?)

Keeping some of these guys, instead of dumping them offers....

1) competition at camp....which helps build better players...

2) DEPTH.....which we seem to avoid like the plague.....and is something that has killed this team in recent years....

Until we sort this out, we will constantly be cutting/releasing/not signing guys and relying on unproven starters, backed up by ??????

Building a quality team goes much deeper than just adding new starters, which seems to be our focus...

1) Not just me, PFF thought Paz was good - and that's why I kept repeating it. I'd still rather have Paz than Erving as the swing tackle if Greco and Drango weren't there. I think Coleman/Greco will be the starter and backup T on day 1.. who is which remains to be seen.

2) Zeitler was purchased bc any opportunity to solidify a starting position is.. good. Not sure how that's confusing. He's better than Greco - and besides we do need insurance that Greco's dropoff [year over year he's been progressively worse] won't continue.

1) Not just me, PFF thought Paz was good - and that's why I kept repeating it. I'd still rather have Paz than Erving as the swing tackle

Me too....which was a simple point that got missed....it's not about how good(or great) Paz may be....it's about the Browns letting him walk and making Erving the #2 going forward.....when, over the last 2 years, Paz was clearly the better performer....

Its not about where he ranks in the league....it's about where he ranks on our roster....which is all that matters...

Why this isnt obvious and is so hard for people to see, is beyond me.....

Me too....which was a simple point that got missed....it's not about how good(or great) Paz may be....it's about the Browns letting him walk and making Erving the #2 going forward.....when, over the last 2 years, Paz was clearly the better performer....

Its not about where he ranks in the league....it's about where he ranks on our roster....which is all that matters...

Why this isnt obvious and is so hard for people to see, is beyond me.....

My take is Erving has yet to make anyone feel good about any position he's played Mud so I don't think he's being handed the #2 spot. I think that's media interpretation. Please hear me out...

So, a legit question you will ask is why is he on the roster and Paz is not? My guess is one guy was drafted in round 1 and the other wasn't drafted at all unless we want to count the CFL. As I mentioned earlier to somebody, they're giving the 1st round guy enough rope to hang himself again unless he pleasantly surprises the right person. We've been cutting a lot of guys in training camp so let's not confuse our roster before the first day of contact with the active roster we will have heading into the opener. I could be wrong on this but I doubt it. I can see a lot of FO/Owners saying if you're gonna cut a first round guy - you better make sure he can't play first. They film practices so they'll get enough okie drill uh-ohs on tape to punctuate the decision if the miraculous about-face never occurs. If he keeps looking like he did, this isn't a money ball keeper for our active roster in 2017.

Now, back to Paz - he's still unemployed by not just Cleveland, but 31 other NFL teams. There's gotta be something on film or there's really a sum of 32 teams conspiring against him in spite of the bargain/humbling wages he's willing to play for. The first team he tried out for in 2012 (Minnesota) cut him in August or Sept of that year. He caught on with Jax in 2013 and a couple injuries to their line later - he moved from OG to RT and started. I think he even stayed there for the 2014 season and started again before they cut him prior to the 2015 season (or in that Sept)showing 1 more team not seeing this guy for their long range plans.

Then, he came to Cleveland in 2015 and pleasantly surprised a lot of us when he filled in as a starter at OG near the end of the year. In 2016, he became the starting RT that wasn't a bad run blocker but our fan base seemed to remember him most for his inconsistencies in pass pro. My question is which of the 3 NFL teams he temporarily played for saw him as a long term plan? Shouldn't we begin to ask why he's 3 for 3 in this category? What does some of our fans and/or PFF understand that those 3 teams were unable to? And he's available today so how many of the 29 other teams are seeing him this same way? Again, he went undrafted so it's not like this team is the only one refusing to see him as a long range plan - it's been all 32 teams that began studying him before the draft. Is it because all these teams have more access to all his game film than our fan base does?

1) Not just me, PFF thought Paz was good - and that's why I kept repeating it. I'd still rather have Paz than Erving as the swing tackle if Greco and Drango weren't there. I think Coleman/Greco will be the starter and backup T on day 1.. who is which remains to be seen.

Where was Paz ranked in PFF Pass Pro numbers? Seemed like a solid disciplined road-grater run blocker,yes? But also seem to remember some sloppy feet, undisciplined in pass pro? I totally agree on S.Coleman at RT this season. JT even thinks Shon's ready.. but a drop net (not named Cam) would be nice

As the season wore on you could see the "Coach Joe" effect in him. His control of his drops improved significantly.

Archived