THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Claim OG

darren15

Thanks for sharing that Darren. Mud also linked up this news in another thread yesterday. Here's a cut and paste my thoughts on it

Sometimes that kind of guy (Chris Barker) can pan out. For example, John Greco was a 3rd rd pick for the Rams who only had 4 fill-in starts in the 3 years he was with St Louis. After being traded to Cleveland and starting 0 games the first year here (4th NFL season) - he started 14 games and played well in his 5th NFL season.

I remember way back in 2002 when we signed a guy named Barry Stokes who got cut multiple times elsewhere. He came here at the right time and started for the only playoff team we had this side of 1999. Another example following the lyrics of "Love takes time..."

Not a surprise to release a DL-too many better rookies just added for all vets to stay.

I expect the Browns to be extremely active on the waiver wire to improve depth if nothing more, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran WR picked up at some point.

Mike

I expect the Browns to be extremely active on the waiver wire to improve depth if nothing more, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran WR picked up at some point.

Mike

And possibly another RT if one looks good enough to nab off the waiver wire or someone else's PS.

Oh... we be churnin' till the cows come home...

churnin? ha..Have you ever had a off-season of more wet dreams of OLmen in your lifetime? ;) Far to soon for me, but at sometime we should pass protect like it's Brady back there :o .Chris Barker seems to be the poor mans Jonathan Cooper? Coop-7th$ pick to Cards, to Pats. to us.to Dallas$...Barker--Nevada(mize well be Zona) to Mia. To Pats. To Us...Why do we deal with are own X-Hoodie Genius cuts.Our magic card dealer should know better?

nothing wrong with taking a look. Maybe I'd make him a fullback........ :)

I agree Cal. If Chris Barker was on the practice squad of the NFL team with the fewest vacancies to fill - exploring the inexpensive choice isn't such a bad idea.

Like I said, we've had guys like Barry Stokes and John Greco come here to play much better than they did previously elsewhere. Aside from that, Hank Fraley was replaced in Philly's starting lineup by a younger guy 1-2 years before he became our solution to the freak accident that parked LeCharles Bentley's career forever. And what unfolded? We had a Center in his 30s that could still pull and get outside to lead a RB when necessary with a veteran savvy and experience level to make and communicate all the line calls while we went on to win 10 games in 2007. That didn't suck!

Without threatening QB, WR, TE and RBs, no OL can win in the trenches. It is meaningless to pick up OL players.

Arithmetic, Calsnots, SIMPLE arithmetic. NO FIVE MEN CAN BLOCK 9 MEN IN THE BOX. Until the Browns fix the problem with skilled players, all of this drafting and acquisition bullshit is just that, BULLSHIT.

Without a good OL...no QB WR TE and RB can "threaten"...as they will be knocked on their asses before they get a chance to show their skills.

The fact is, you need both...good OL, good skill players.

Besides, in theory the Browns HAVE tried to do a fix on their skill players. They drafted a TE in round 1, a QB in round 2, got Britt as a FA. acquired a youngveteran QB...Osweiler. Hey...you never know about him...maybe the light bulb will turn on in his head. What else? (and you never know...maybe Peppers can do a little on offense. He should certainly help the kick return game)

Have they done enough? Not in my opinion. I do expect them to keep trying.

What additional moves THIS offseason do you think they should make? And, no, trading Joe Thomas is not on the board.

Basically, this is a guy that the Patriots felt was not ever gonna be good enough to protect Tom Brady.

Ironic that the Pats keep taking our cast offs and getting good production from them.......wonder which team is making the right choices.....

Id say we won the Mingo decision.....but lost all the others.....

The one thing Id point to, when signing a player cut by the Pats, is that they are MUCH deeper than we are.....so, their cast offs "should" be much better than our cast offs...on average, at least....

Yet, even w/o talent or depth, we seem to keep cutting guys who get picked up and being productive for good teams.....while we continue to struggle to fill their positions.....weird eh?

Note: Billy decided Collins couldnt help the Pats, yet he's probably our best player on Defense.....so how does that work?

Ironic that the Pats keep taking our cast offs and getting good production from them.......wonder which team is making the right choices.....

The one thing Id point to, when signing a player cut by the Pats, is that they are MUCH deeper than we are.....so, their cast offs "should" be much better than our cast offs...on average, at least....

Yet, even w/o talent or depth, we seem to keep cutting guys who get picked up and being productive for good teams.....while we continue to struggle to fill their positions.....weird eh?

Note: Billy decided Collins couldnt help the Pats, yet he's probably our best player on Defense.....so how does that work?

Can't tell if sarcastic or just flat out stupid...

Can't tell if sarcastic or just flat out stupid...

I dont know, because there is no point or football content to your comment.....

So, I will stoop to your level and reply......"Cant always tell, but I often think you're both...."

Your turn.....

I am not sure how you are figuring this. What ex-Browns players have done all that with the Pats?

Mingo? Sheard? I don't think these guys did any better at all with them than they did here. Who else? We don't know about Hawkins yet.

Again...detail those ex-Browns who did all that great with NE. I am hard pressed to find them.

Yea, weird...because, as I said...I am hard pressed to find them. You made this statement....now produce your evidence.

Because Belichick can be on occasion a venal person. He WILL cut guys that are better than the person he replaces them with. We all know this from the Kosar/Philcox fiasco.

It's revisionist history to say bill didn't think he could use Collins. Don't just make shit up.

He had to decide who to pay, only so much money to go around. He chose hightower...

Make shit up?.....the word was that Collins was a loose cannon and would not work within Bills system....ie, he free lanced and did what he wanted.....which is the reason he was expendable....

I have no issue with Collins, just pointing out that "because the pats didnt keep him, does not mean he sucks"

Our coach seems to agree with the free lance thing....since he said so....but says he likes Collins and thinks he'll help the team, so thats all that matters...

I am not sure how you are figuring this. What ex-Browns players have done all that with the Pats?

Again...detail those ex-Browns who did all that great with NE. I am hard pressed to find them.

First....I didnt say any were great....but I will say they did better than the guys we replaced them with....so, Sheard is a good example....we let him go and kept Kruger and Mingo......how'd that work out?.....Sheard started for a Super Bowl team and now is a starter for Indy......Mingo and Kruger?.....dont even think they have teams now.....oh wait, Mingo is backing up Sheard in Indy and Kruges is unsigned.....good choice there....

Dion Lewis is another guy we cut, who is a productive member of the Pats.....and, Hawk is a proven productive player who we dont have a replacement for....so, not matter what he does there, we have chopped yet another player w/o first having a replacement for him....

Which is my mantra....when we need players, then let guys go(w/o replacements) and those guys go elsewhere and produce....it bothers the hell out of me....happens time and time again....

Yea, weird...because, as I said...I am hard pressed to find them. You made this statement....now produce your evidence.

We have needed WR's for years now.....easily its been a top priority since 2012-13, yes?.....and it still is.....and we have no slot guys.....yet Gabe, Hawkins, Snead & Pryor will all be catching balls for other teams, while we continue the search for wr...

Last year our DB's sucked and Safety was clarified as our weakest position, yet we let our 2 starters walk...correct?.....w/o replacements...so, we had zero safeties and the ones we let walked started for other teams....

Last year we cut Dansby, who had another 100 plus tackles, while we got Davis....

We watched our old center win a super bowl, while we had a turn style at center.....

Because Belichick can be on occasion a venal person. He WILL cut guys that are better than the person he replaces them with. We all know this from the Kosar/Philcox fiasco.

Then he has a LOT in common with our FO......

I guess the main points I was trying to make got missed.....

1) Just because the pats cut this OL, does not mean he sucks......and Collins is an example of that......

2) The Browns have cut a lot of talent, that other teams seem to like.....and, while this can be said for many teams, it hurts worse when you have the least amount of talent in the league.....and when you do it with guys who have shown the belong on our team or are better than the guys we chose to keep......

Most teams have several players at each position, right?....because you need depth, right?.....so when a team allows starter after starter to walk.....and cuts multiple starters(as we have done), it seems to be trimming the wrong end of our talent tree......why cut starters instead of third stringers?....why release your starter so you can start his back up?.....makes no sense....if the back up is better, then make him your starter.....and only "replace" a guy, when you have a better talent to do so....

I dont know, because there is no point or football content to your comment.....

So, I will stoop to your level and reply......"Cant always tell, but I often think you're both...."

Your turn.....

Can't tell if fat man or butch lesbian....

Let's keep this rollin

Let's not... not down this alley anyway.

You both know football... how 'bout debating your takes?

I'm just messing with Mud, I think he knows that. He's in that gray area of people I fuck with but can still actually talk football with.

And no one knows that area better than I, but I'm not sure Mud does...

So they're churning the bottom of the roster.. note that good teams constantly do this, because they're trying to find a way to increase all parts of their roster.

He won't displace Zeitler any time soon, but he might make the battle for the last OL roster spot interesting.

Make shit up?.....the word was that Collins was a loose cannon and would not work within Bills system....ie, he free lanced and did what he wanted.....which is the reason he was expendable....

I have no issue with Collins, just pointing out that "because the pats didnt keep him, does not mean he sucks"

Our coach seems to agree with the free lance thing....since he said so....but says he likes Collins and thinks he'll help the team, so thats all that matters...

I guess the main points I was trying to make got missed.....

1) Just because the pats cut this OL, does not mean he sucks......and Collins is an example of that......

2) The Browns have cut a lot of talent, that other teams seem to like.....and, while this can be said for many teams, it hurts worse when you have the least amount of talent in the league.....and when you do it with guys who have shown the belong on our team or are better than the guys we chose to keep......

Most teams have several players at each position, right?....because you need depth, right?.....so when a team allows starter after starter to walk.....and cuts multiple starters(as we have done), it seems to be trimming the wrong end of our talent tree......why cut starters instead of third stringers?....why release your starter so you can start his back up?.....makes no sense....if the back up is better, then make him your starter.....and only "replace" a guy, when you have a better talent to do so....

We have needed WR's for years now.....easily its been a top priority since 2012-13, yes?.....and it still is.....and we have no slot guys.....yet Gabe, Hawkins, Snead & Pryor will all be catching balls for other teams, while we continue the search for wr...

Last year our DB's sucked and Safety was clarified as our weakest position, yet we let our 2 starters walk...correct?.....w/o replacements...so, we had zero safeties and the ones we let walked started for other teams....

Last year we cut Dansby, who had another 100 plus tackles, while we got Davis....

We watched our old center win a super bowl, while we had a turn style at center.....

I see one maybe example of a guy that did a little with NE that used to be here: And with that one: Sheard, I still say he performed no better at NE than he did here, not really.

And I don't think Dion Lewis is a great example, as he was badly injured.

But right here right now, I would not trade Duke Johnson for him...so I think the Browns are much better off. (think how good Duke could be with Brady)

On the other hand, if you are just making a blanket statement that the Browns have let some guy go/walk that they shouldn't....absolutely: Gipson, Mack, Schwartz,...maybe Whitner, maybe Dansby, Pryor.

Archived