THE BROWNS BOARD

Around the AFCN's Drafts...

Tour2ma

Ryan Fitzpatrick who is mediocre at best scored a 50 om the wonderlic test. Perfect score.

Donovan McNabb scored a 14.

There is zero correlation between a Wonderlic score and play on the field.

According to WIKI...

A 2005 study by McDonald Mirabile found that there is no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's passer rating, and no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's salary.[46] Similarly, a 2009 study by Brian D. Lyons, Brian J. Hoffman, and John W. Michel found that Wonderlic scores failed to positively and significantly predict future NFL performance for any position.[47] Donovan McNabb, whose 14 score[48] was the lowest of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 1999 NFL Draft, had the longest and most successful career.

For grins,,,

Dobbs scored a 29. Average score for a QB is 24.

Most teams want at least 21 for a quarterback.

Brad Kaaya, Miami 34

Nate Peterman, Pittsburgh (former Tennessee) 32

Trevor Knight, Texas A&M 30

Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee 29

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame 28

CJ Beathard, Iowa 26

Mitchell Trubisky, UNC 25

Davis Webb, Cal 25

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech 24

Chad Kelly, Ole Miss 22

Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech 21

Deshaun Watson, Clemson 20

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Fitzpatrick who is mediocre at best scored a 50 om the wonderlic test. Perfect score.

Actually Fitz hit 45, IIRC, highest of any QB ever. The only perfect score was by a kicker... name escape me ATM...

Nice post. Can't argue with any of that.

I'll try to be more subjective next time... maybe throw in a "fuck the stoolers" for good measure.

Don't want you leaving Brownsville disappointed... ;)

Actually Fitz hit 45, IIRC, highest of any QB ever. The only perfect score was by a kicker... name escape me ATM...

I'll try to be more subjective next time... maybe throw in a "fuck the stoolers" for good measure.

Wasn't the perfect score Pat McInally? I think I heard that awhile back when he was on the NFL Channel.

Mike

Lol..I always laugh when I hear a "Browns" fan say "Stooler"

Stick with "Squeelers".

Also stay away from "Shittsburg"...

Use "Pittspuke" instead.

And then there's PTG... JuJu adds to a position of strength... but he's no Anquan. Just like Watt is no Harrison and Conner is no Harris.

Agree Conner is no Franco Harris, Harris avoided getting hit. Connor is more a Jerome Bettis type. Can pound and batter an opponent, but is better than Bettis in being elusive.

His yards gained after initial hit is tremendous! Love this pick!

Holy fuck gotta see this...

I dont like the Steelers but they know how to draft WRs and LBs.

JuJu will be a beast. Just watch.Though, what are the odds that TJ Watt has the impact that JJ has had? Id say very slim and that TJ went that high because of pedigree.

TJ went that high because of athleticism and technique. He's only played defense for one season, non-stop motor and he's a great athlete.

Donovan McNabb scored a 14.

There is zero correlation between a Wonderlic score and play on the field.

According to WIKI...

A 2005 study by McDonald Mirabile found that there is no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's passer rating, and no significant correlation between a quarterback's Wonderlic score and a quarterback's salary.[46] Similarly, a 2009 study by Brian D. Lyons, Brian J. Hoffman, and John W. Michel found that Wonderlic scores failed to positively and significantly predict future NFL performance for any position.[47] Donovan McNabb, whose 14 score[48] was the lowest of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round of the 1999 NFL Draft, had the longest and most successful career.

For grins,,,

Dobbs scored a 29. Average score for a QB is 24.

Most teams want at least 21 for a quarterback.

Brad Kaaya, Miami 34

Nate Peterman, Pittsburgh (former Tennessee) 32

Trevor Knight, Texas A&M 30

Joshua Dobbs, Tennessee 29

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame 28

CJ Beathard, Iowa 26

Mitchell Trubisky, UNC 25

Davis Webb, Cal 25

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech 24

Chad Kelly, Ole Miss 22

Jerod Evans, Virginia Tech 21

Deshaun Watson, Clemson 20

Myles Garrett 31

We are obviously playing our new DE out of position. ^_^

The Steelers are desperate for LBs with Harrison on his last legs and Woodley gone.

Shazier, Dupree,Timmons and Jones were all 1st round picks. When you spend another 1st on Watt you know that you have problems with the LB group.

You must have gotten sideways with the little man too with a name like that.

Not a problem, a need...unless you're calling a need a problem.

Woodleys been gone a few years now. Timmons and Jones have departed this year.

Lol..I always laugh when I hear a "Browns" fan say "Stooler" Stick with "Squeelers".

Also stay away from "Shittsburg"... Use "Pittspuke" instead.

lol... no promises, but I will take your input under advisement...

Agree Conner is no Franco Harris, Harris avoided getting hit. Connor is more a Jerome Bettis type. Can pound and batter an opponent, but is better than Bettis in being elusive.

Better comparison, but he's no Jerome... not that I see anyway. My projection for Connor was as a FB/RB hybrid... he simply lacks the speed for the next level at RB. We shall see...

Fitz scored 48. I had heard his score was perfect but never checked it out for myself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_test

I did know 50 is "perfect". I see it was McInally that aced it.(kudos to Canton). Did not realize there was another closer than Fitz and that Ben Watson tied him.

TE Ben Watson out of Georgia. NE drafted him and he was a solid player. Still playing for somebody.

Heard him on the radio the other day. Very articulate. IIRC, he just published a book.

Ben has been one of the better players to bounce around the league as much as he has... Pats, us, Saints and now the Ravens. He's been good everywhere. Odd he's never found a "home"... especially since he's never been a particularly expensive player.

I dont like the Steelers but they know how to draft WRs and LBs.

JuJu will be a beast. Just watch.Though, what are the odds that TJ Watt has the impact that JJ has had? Id say very slim and that TJ went that high because of pedigree.

Watt didn't get drafted because of JJ. Why the hell would he? Im sure it didn't hurt because you know the work ethic of that family from a football stand point but they certainly drafted Watt based on his own on the field and off the field merits. He is new to the position and raw like bud dupree, great athlete with a fantastic motor.

The Steelers are desperate for LBs with Harrison on his last legs and Woodley gone.

Shazier, Dupree,Timmons and Jones were all 1st round picks. When you spend another 1st on Watt you know that you have problems with the LB group.

You must have gotten sideways with the little man too with a name like that.

Why are you mentioning Woodley? Do you realize how long ago it was he suited up as a Steeler? As far as the core is concerned Watt got drafted because Harrison is 39 and the team missed on Jarvis Jones. The linebacker group for the steelers health permitting is going to be ridiculous and that's assuming Watt only spot starts. The problem is gone, they addressed it with Watt.

Why are you mentioning Woodley? Do you realize how long ago it was he suited up as a Steeler? As far as the core is concerned Watt got drafted because Harrison is 39 and the team missed on Jarvis Jones. The linebacker group for the steelers health permitting is going to be ridiculous and that's assuming Watt only spot starts. The problem is gone, they addressed it with Watt.

Ridiculous? Ridiculously average. Who would be playing for them? Harrison, Shazier, Timmons, Dupree? (or is he a DE?), and now Watt?

They are OK. Average. I would not say that the Browns LB corps is as good, for a couple of reasons: A. Browns apparently going to 4-3...and even someone said they will often be in a 4-2-5 defense under DC Greg Williams (with the use of a Peppers say as a S/LB hybrid) and will not have the same numbers of LBs that a 3-4 team like the Pukers would have. Three that they have can stand up: Kirksey/Collins/Davis....but they will usually apparently have only 1 ILB in there (and actually all three of these guys are best suited for ILB...including Collins), so they don't have the same number of bodies there. B. The Browns did NOT address the OLB situation in the draft, or FA..except for Collins. They are relying on the likes of Joe Schobert and Nate Orchard to man the other OLB spot. And those two are kinda like your Jarvis Jones was.....underachievers (the difference being that they were 4th and 2d rounders, not 1st rounders).

Jake Elliot was the 1st kicker taken off the board. Shocked me, till i realized Ghoolie may have turned in his Hometown Card from Memphis. Maybe hell can freeze over in Cincinnati now

Bengals really needed a kicker. They released Mike Nugent, who was kicking like Ted Nugent. Missed a lot of FG and Extra points. 3 XPs, and only 79% on FGs. Back in the day that used to be good, now it gets you cut.

We are obviously playing our new DE out of position. ^_^

But Ghoolie says he's not very smart- it must be true. :lol:

He is... great athlete with a fantastic motor.

Great? Very good, sure... but great?

Ridiculous? Ridiculously average. Who would be playing for them? Harrison, Shazier, Timmons, Dupree? (or is he a DE?), and now Watt?

They are OK. Average. I would not say that the Browns LB corps is as good, for a couple of reasons: A. Browns apparently going to 4-3...and even someone said they will often be in a 4-2-5 defense under DC Greg Williams (with the use of a Peppers say as a S/LB hybrid) and will not have the same numbers of LBs that a 3-4 team like the Pukers would have. Three that they have can stand up: Kirksey/Collins/Davis....but they will usually apparently have only 1 ILB in there (and actually all three of these guys are best suited for ILB...including Collins), so they don't have the same number of bodies there. B. The Browns did NOT address the OLB situation in the draft, or FA..except for Collins. They are relying on the likes of Joe Schobert and Nate Orchard to man the other OLB spot. And those two are kinda like your Jarvis Jones was.....underachievers (the difference being that they were 4th and 2d rounders, not 1st rounders).

You really don't pay attention to teams in the North AT ALL. The Linebackers will be Harrison/watt, shazier, vince williams and Bud Dupree. Dupree is just getting started, Shazier is a freak of nature BUT he needs to stay healthy. Vince Williams is a thumper with a great motor. He's not perfect but he will fill in nicely since Timmons (here is where you don't follow along signed with Miami) Add in Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave and it's a nasty front seven. I guess we'll all find out soon.

I will say this... I've been saying for two years that the Steelers were going to have to outscore opponents to win... that their D had fallen to a level where it was not only no longer the strength of the team, but was on its way to becoming a weakness.

But in truth after a mediocre 2014 when their D were 18th in points and yards allowed. They improved from '14 to '15 (at least in points allowed) and from '15 to '16 by both measures. Now they are around the bottom of the top third of Defenses, so while it's not "the strength", it certainly is not a weakness.

How? Underestimated their talent on the D-side for sure, but even more I underestimated their Defensive staff... which seemed unthinkable after LeBeau was shown the door, but the change has worked.

As for 2017? I'm at it again talent wise. Did not think much of their draft, but there are a fair number of talking heads that love it.

We shall see...

You really don't pay attention to teams in the North AT ALL. The Linebackers will be Harrison/watt, shazier, vince williams and Bud Dupree. Dupree is just getting started, Shazier is a freak of nature BUT he needs to stay healthy. Vince Williams is a thumper with a great motor. He's not perfect but he will fill in nicely since Timmons (here is where you don't follow along signed with Miami) Add in Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave and it's a nasty front seven. I guess we'll all find out soon.

What I don't pay attention to is your stupid piss and black colored BS. OK, Timmons left for Miami...but he played there in Pisstown last year. The Steeler LB corps will be much the worse for that move.

Harrison is old and moldy and no amount of HGH he is taking will make him anything but.

Vince Williams is just a guy. Your Joe Schobert.

Dupree is an underachiever as yet. Just getting started? He is entering his third year. If he were a QB I would say that...but he ain't a QB.

Shazier is good. He is almost as good as Christian Kirksey. Not likely as good as Jamie Collins.

And I was only referencing the LB corps. Though I guess you don't pay attention to the AFCN at all there. Browns will not have the numbers that the Squibs have because, as I said, they are going to a 4-3 base...and sometimes a 4-2-5.

You want to bring in the DL? The OLD man of the Browns DL starters is likely to be Shelton...entering his third year. The rest of the Browns DL looks to be all 2d year players and rookies. "Older players" on the DL will just be rotational guys. Meder, and maybe Bryant if he is kept on.

I like the Browns DL prospects with all these young guys over the Steelers DL.

So, I think you will have 2 pretty good players in that front 7: Shazier/Heyward ..and Tuitt serviceable.

The only positive thing that can be said for you is that the Browns defensive backfield last year was likely worse than the Steelers...and that was pretty bad.

What I don't pay attention to is your stupid piss and black colored BS. OK, Timmons left for Miami...but he played there in Pisstown last year. The Steeler LB corps will be much the worse for that move.

Harrison is old and moldy and no amount of HGH he is taking will make him anything but.

Vince Williams is just a guy. Your Joe Schobert.

Dupree is an underachiever as yet. Just getting started? He is entering his third year. If he were a QB I would say that...but he ain't a QB.

Shazier is good. He is almost as good as Christian Kirksey. Not likely as good as Jamie Collins.

And I was only referencing the LB corps. Though I guess you don't pay attention to the AFCN at all there. Browns will not have the numbers that the Squibs have because, as I said, they are going to a 4-3 base...and sometimes a 4-2-5.

You want to bring in the DL? The OLD man of the Browns DL starters is likely to be Shelton...entering his third year. The rest of the Browns DL looks to be all 2d year players and rookies. "Older players" on the DL will just be rotational guys. Meder, and maybe Bryant if he is kept on.

I like the Browns DL prospects with all these young guys over the Steelers DL.

So, I think you will have 2 pretty good players in that front 7: Shazier/Heyward ..and Tuitt serviceable.

The only positive thing that can be said for you is that the Browns defensive backfield last year was likely worse than the Steelers...and that was pretty bad.

Do you read what you type? Shazier is almost as good as Kirksey? lol Collins hasn't done anything of note since leaving NE. NE also doesn't let great talent just walk unless they get overpaid elsewhere. Find someone that will rate Kirksey over Shazier that isn't drunk. Shazier's ONLY knock is he's been oft injured. Dupree is just getting started because he was injured, IR designated for return AND he was drafted very raw. Watt has only two years on the defensive side of the ball. He was recruited as a tight end and was wreaking havoc in the big ten. As far as the D-line is concerned for the Steelers who do you think is old? Heyward at 27 is the oldest, Hargrave was a rookie last year and Tuitt is 23. You are a complete and total windbag, talking in a vacuum.

Do you see any Browns on this list?

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000794421/jameis-winston-ezekiel-elliott-head-allunder25-team

NFL.com/Daniel J's draft "power grades" are in:

5. Baltimore Ravens
Draft picks: Marlon Humphrey (No. 16 overall), Tyus Bowser (No. 47 overall), Chris Wormley (No. 74 overall), Tim Williams (No. 78 overall), Nico Siragusa (No. 122 overall), Jermaine Eluemunor (No. 159 overall), Chuck Clark (No. 186 overall)

There is a "boom-or-bust" theme to the Ravens draft. I like the overall potential of their draft class, as they almost certainly added at least five future starters. Marlon Humphrey has all the measurables but needs to learn to play with his back to the ball. Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams have two of the highest ceilings as pure edge-benders in this entire draft. OG Nico Siragusa should be a starter by 2018.

8. Cleveland Browns
Draft picks: Myles Garrett (No. 1 overall), Jabrill Peppers (No. 25 overall), David Njoku (No. 29 overall), DeShone Kizer (No. 52 overall), Larry Ogunjobi (No. 65 overall), Howard Wilson (No. 126 overall), Roderick Johnson (No. 160 overall), Caleb Brantley (No. 185 overall), Zane Gonzalez (No. 224 overall), Matt Dayes (No. 252 overall)

This was a rock-solid draft by the Browns, but they are going to be graded on a curve since they ended up with three first-rounders. Myles Garrett and Jabrill Peppers should help right now. David Njoku is still in need of seasoning, but has an upside that is right there with O.J. Howard. Caleb Brantley and Larry Ogunjobi could be long-time interior starters along the Browns' front. I felt like the rest of their picks were just OK.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers
Draft picks: T.J. Watt (No. 30 overall), JuJu Smith-Schuster (No. 62 overall), Cameron Sutton (No. 94 overall), James Conner (No. 105 overall), Joshua Dobbs (No. 135 overall), Brian Allen (No. 173 overall), Colin Holba (No. 213 overall), Keion Adams (No. 248 overall)

In the first three rounds, the Steelers focused on adding physicality and toughness. T.J. Watt is more of an edge-setter and "motor" player than edge-bender as a pass rusher, while WR JuJu Smith-Schuster adds a much more reliable target than some of the Steelers WRs we saw on the field at the end of the year. While they added a banger in the third round in RB James Conner, it's seventh-round OLB Keion Adams who really intrigues me.

19. Cincinnati Bengals
Draft picks: John Ross (No. 9 overall), Joe Mixon (No. 48 overall), Jordan Willis (No. 73 overall), Carl Lawson (No. 116 overall), Josh Malone (No. 128 overall), Ryan Glasgow (No. 138 overall), Jake Elliott (No. 153 overall), J.J. Dielman (No. 176 overall), Jordan Evans (No. 193 overall), Brandon Wilson (No. 207 overall), Mason Schreck (No. 251 overall)

John Ross and Joe Mixon add explosive options to the offense and both are Offensive Rookie of the Year candidates. However, there are durability concerns with Ross and character concerns with Mixon. While Carl Lawson adds toughness on the edge, Jordan Willis is the more talented pass rusher. Sixth-rounder Brandon Wilson is a quality kick returner with an ability to play cornerback or running back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000806106/article/2017-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings-teams-14

Apparently the love supreme for the Steelers' draft is not quite as universal as I thought.

I will say this... I've been saying for two years that the Steelers were going to have to outscore opponents to win... that their D had fallen to a level where it was not only no longer the strength of the team, but was on its way to becoming a weakness.

But in truth after a mediocre 2014 when their D were 18th in points and yards allowed. They improved from '14 to '15 (at least in points allowed) and from '15 to '16 by both measures. Now they are around the bottom of the top third of Defenses, so while it's not "the strength", it certainly is not a weakness.

How? Underestimated their talent on the D-side for sure, but even more I underestimated their Defensive staff... which seemed unthinkable after LeBeau was shown the door, but the change has worked.

As for 2017? I'm at it again talent wise. Did not think much of their draft, but there are a fair number of talking heads that love it.

We shall see...

there is an inherent bias about teams that have won before with some experts... justin gilbert would have been

a brilliant pick if the squealers or pats drafted him...

Do you read what you type? Shazier is almost as good as Kirksey?

Do you read what YOU type. Yes. Kirksey has performed as well or better Shazier in his career.

lol Collins hasn't done anything of note since leaving NE.

Since leaving New England? Again, do you read what you type. Collins was just traded in mid season.

NE also doesn't let great talent just walk unless they get overpaid elsewhere. Find someone that will rate Kirksey over Shazier that isn't drunk.

Its not a matter of opinion...it is a matter of statistics. Who gives a shit what anyone thinks...it is what the players do.

Shazier's ONLY knock is he's been oft injured. Dupree is just getting started because he was injured, IR designated for return AND he was drafted very raw.

So, being injured doesn't count for anything? Then I guess Tim Couch should be considered HOF caliber QB....and Kijana Carter HOF RB...after all, it was just injury that curtailed their careers.

Watt has only two years on the defensive side of the ball. He was recruited as a tight end and was wreaking havoc in the big ten. As far as the D-line is concerned for the Steelers who do you think is old? Heyward at 27 is the oldest, Hargrave was a rookie last year and Tuitt is 23. You are a complete and total windbag, talking in a vacuum.

The "old part" was in reference to you LBs....but yes, the Browns DL is still younger than the Steelers. Not a lot, but a bit.

Do you see any Browns on this list?

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000794421/jameis-winston-ezekiel-elliott-head-allunder25-team

No, and I only see Tuitt of the Steelers on there. And NO ONE would trade Danny Shelton for Tuitt.

Please don't equate Gipper's knowledge of other teams to the average Browns fans knowledge of other teams

You don't even know diddly about the Browns team, so much any other. The only guys you know about are from one dumbass school.

So...when did you take to licking Steeler fan's balls? Good thing the name "Vagina" is taken by him....because otherwise you would have earned it.

Archived