THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Biden's son kicked out of Navy for cocaine

WalterWhite

is it just me or is everything from the keyboard of this guy (sound) insulting?

I guess I have a gift.

Some of what I say is meant to sound insulting, generally towards the people that have already insulted me on here.

Others is meant to sound insulting toward certain groups I am not a fan of, or it just sounds insulting because the reader of my post disagrees.

But there are many posts on here where I try to stay as close to an honest debate style I can, and use no insults or other fallacies. Usually though, those posts are met with insults.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me chime in here that while I can't imagine enjoying being in the military most guys don't go in as a career they go in for a couple years and move on. I suppose there would be a great deal of experience you could get there that couldn't be attained elsewhere.

Also I don't really know what an engineer or an architect or a research scientist does during his 8 or 10 hour day at work but honest to God I can't conceive of something that would be very much fun. Kind of like being an accountant.

WSS

I'm not saying that the work isn't valuable

See, I get that. What I do isn't for everyone. What an accountant does isn' for everyone. What you do isn't for anyone, etc etc etc

I'm just wondering why a middle class kid, with good grades, and a college future, would choose to join the army. The main thing I can think of is "carrying on the tradition" in his family or something, but I'm not sure what else. If anyone knows, please tell me.

And if the military life happens to agree with someone I wouldn't imagine that a career would be a pretty good one. If you're intelligent straightforward etc there should be a pretty promising future for the guys who decide to stay.

WSS

These salaries are terrible http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money/basic-pay-active-duty-soldiers.html if I am looking at the right site.

I just don't see it. I see dramatized ads on TV that try to make it look badass, I see recruiters trying to pray on HS kids, and I see a lot of negatives.

Yeah that doesn't look like a whole lot of dough. Still I think the average pay in Ohio is somewhere in the mid 30s. And your benefits package is probably good. Plus it isn't all about the money. I have no doubt you will make a shitload more than me in your career. But I really like my job. The reunion concert for my old band is coming up next Saturday and we've been sold out for a week. Those kind of things make it worthwhile. I'd imagined it being a major in the army carries a great deal of pride and respect.

WSS

That is basic pay, there are numerous other payments made, that I wont even bother to go into. I'm glad Woody chose to engineer toilet seats and urinals.

lol... yep, exactly

I'll make sure to design a model with handles on the side so you have an easier time getting on and off of it

Yeah that doesn't look like a whole lot of dough. Still I think the average pay in Ohio is somewhere in the mid 30s. And your benefits package is probably good. Plus it isn't all about the money. I have no doubt you will make a shitload more than me in your career. But I really like my job. The reunion concert for my old band is coming up next Saturday and we've been sold out for a week. Those kind of things make it worthwhile. I'd imagined it being a major in the army carries a great deal of pride and respect.

WSS

Right, but your job has a lot of other perks. You have musical talent, not everyone has that. And the high end for your career is millions and millions of dollars, lol.

I know money isn't everything, but I am saying for a middle class, solid HS student that has a college future. You should be able to go to college and get a job coming out that pays more than that. If you don't, you messed up some where (or you have a strong passion for social work or something).

Not to mention, there are all of the health risks of joining the army.

I just don't see it. And not from the side of "well, being a doctor just isn't for me" or "being an engineer just isn't for me". I don't see it from the practical, rational decision side of things.

Right, but your job has a lot of other perks. You have musical talent, not everyone has that. And the high end for your career is millions and millions of dollars, lol.

I know money isn't everything, but I am saying for a middle class, solid HS student that has a college future. You should be able to go to college and get a job coming out that pays more than that. If you don't, you messed up some where (or you have a strong passion for social work or something).

Not to mention, there are all of the health risks of joining the army.

I just don't see it. And not from the side of "well, being a doctor just isn't for me" or "being an engineer just isn't for me". I don't see it from the practical, rational decision side of things.

But, there are doctors in the military. And engineers. And world travel. But not for pussy momma's boys like you.

I know plenty of guys that went into the military. Some right out of high school and some that went to college first.

One guy got a 4 year college degree and couldn't find a job in his field so he joined the army. He got his masters while in the Army and now he is considering staying in and making the army his career. His brother went to college for 1 quarter, decided he didn't like it and then joined the army. He spent his 4 years and left. He is now back in college and is loving it.

I had a chance to join the Air Force right out of high school. I tested off the charts on all of their tests. They came to my house and tried to recruit me big time.They wanted me to go to the Air Force Academy in CO. But I declined it. I was an 18 year old punk and didn't want all the discipline.

It takes people with no better options. Or you were tricked by one of the "awesome, badass" commercials. Or you have a family history of it. Or... maybe a few just really love America that much.....

Fuck you, man. This is fucking bullshit. Maybe I wasnt a fucking idiot and realized oh wow I can get my God damn degree for free and get paid at the same time. I can get free healthcare for me and my family and set myself and family up for a better future all while figuring out what being a man means for a 4 year commitment

How in the mother fuck can you be that ignorant and naive? You realize that the military will pay for your school as long as you're in it. You realize it'll pay for your bachelors even after you've gotten out. DO YOU FUCKING REALIZE THAT YOU CAN GIVE YOU KIDS THE FREE COLLEGE THAT YOU DONT USE? I will be able to give my daughter 2 years of free school ... But I guess you're right, dipshit, guess I had no other option.

I'm in the first in my family to do it.

I had plenty of other options.

I didn't for a second think of myself as a badass. After "first hand witnessing terrorists die" I didn't think of myself as a badass just a dude dulling my job.

I do love this country ... Much more now though than when I joined as a young buck because I appreciate what it has cost now.

Might want to try to be a little less ignorant if you're going to be a liberal hack.

Geez, calm down buddy.

Congrats to you and thanks for serving. It sounds like it worked out very well for you. I never said there weren't any benefits. I mean, you're potentially putting your life on there line, there better be some benefits. I don't know your unique situation and, honestly, I'm not sure I could expect 100% truth if I started asking questions (which I won't, that's rude).

One story does not constitute the average though. While you say you had plenty of other options, that doesn't mean everyone else did. Again, to go with your stories are the stories I saw in my high school. The recruiters basically preyed on kids, and took those that didn't exactly have the best grades.

If you have good grades, if you are from a middle class family, if you have no family pressure to join, why would you risk your life to join? Yes, free education is great, but is it up to par with the other locations you could attend? Could really really absolutely not afford them? Would the time spent in the military earning hardly anything and getting a free education really outweigh some student loans and then a better job? Recruiters have a plan, they know who to look for.

Like I've said before, from a rational level, I just don't see it. But, I am having a hard time finding data online. There is a 1999 study that shows this pretty well, but thats way too old. The Heritage study though, is clearly biased.

As if I didn't know you were often a naive arrogant jerk this tipped it for me. Not all our daddies could pay for us to go to a university school. Some people had to make their own ways in the world.

WHAT??????????????

you had to go through life on your own????????

Sounds about right, in my world.

As if I didn't know you were often a naive arrogant jerk this tipped it for me. Not all our daddies could pay for us to go to a university school. Some people had to make their own ways in the world.

Which is exactly one of the points I was making.... so thanks for that.

I was fortunate enough to money saved up for me so I could go to a great school. Not everyone has the luxury. For those that don't, the military is an option as it will pay for your education. It may also open up a better option is a community college was your only other choice (or something similar). But for those that have the grades and the financial ability to go to a good school (or the ability to take on a reasonable student loan amount) I see no reason to join the military.

I worked as a machinist apprentice for a year, to pay off my 66 Chevy Belaire, maroon metallic,

straight six, 3 on the stick. Loved that car. And I had been going to college for a year.

but my Dad and co.'s union was facing a pretty certain really long strike. I enlisted, and for three

months, I sent home all my pay to them, just keeping enough money for gas, and food.

I ate mostly fish and frog legs I caught in the little lakes at the back of the base, and mashed potatoes

and soup. And, vegetable soup stirred into my mashed pototoes. And spagetti, it was cheap.

Back home, a lot of families lost their homes, etc., because the strike went so long.

Sure, I could have stayed in college. But what kind of man

would do that, considering how much my family would surely have lost? They did great.

Putting down our military folks who enlist, by saying they were losers with no other options, is just

about as stupid and offensive as a poster can get. I knew guys from all walks of life, a lot of them

had all sorts of options. I had a friend who turned down a scholarship to play football in a small college,

because his family had important medical bills they couldn't pay.

Truth is, I got drafted the summer after graduating hs. I got to the part of the army physical where the

doc told me to go home - that I had the million dollar deficiciency - a badly damaged knee. He said "congrats"

and I was on my way home.

So, two years later, I enlisted. And, flying colors until the doc told me my knee would never make

it through basic. But I told him the major reason I was enlisting, and I wasn't going home until

he let me in. And a team of docs consulted with me, asking questions, and finally let me pass, but

only because it was Air Force basic, and still, they said they thought my knee would never make it.

Well, about the sixth week, we ran the mile on the stupid asphalt track, and my knee was already

causing me a lot of pain before that mile. I didn't quit, and made it. And only after all these years,]

I'm going to get a bionic knee.

No other options? That's worse than shallow, ignorant, offensive, and wrong. It's just....damn.....

Which is exactly one of the points I was making.... so thanks for that.

I was fortunate enough to money saved up for me so I could go to a great school. Not everyone has the luxury. For those that don't, the military is an option as it will pay for your education. It may also open up a better option is a community college was your only other choice (or something similar). But for those that have the grades and the financial ability to go to a good school (or the ability to take on a reasonable student loan amount) I see no reason to join the military.

Such a good little spoiled boy.

I get what Woody is trying to say but it doesn't make him sound like anything but a spoiled brat. Yes, there are many people with nothing else going for them who go to the military. However, there are still a ton of people who enlist that have options and still enlist.

My best friend faced the exact same scenario as Cal and left school knowing he could go back later after helping his family. He could have worked a regular job and covered the bills but the military offered him perks down the road (GI Bill, VA medical care, veterans preference on govt jobs, etc.) so he chose that path.

WTF.

There are a lot of ways to get a college education paid for. The military? Why not. Not something I relished but my friend and I discussed the United States Navy buddy system for a while until one of our college friends give us the straight scoop that after boot camp they sent you wherever the fuck they felt like it. What military benefits are pretty damn nice. Also if you don't have your head up your ass a college loan is a fine way to go. I wouldn't want to go into debt for an art history degree but...

Also just about any moron qualifies for some sort of government aid.

As I see it the most important factor is choosing something useful and being successful in your studies. Find something you are good at and that you don't hate.

WSS

I get what Woody is trying to say but it doesn't make him sound like anything but a spoiled brat. Yes, there are many people with nothing else going for them who go to the military. However, there are still a ton of people who enlist that have options and still enlist.

My best friend faced the exact same scenario as Cal and left school knowing he could go back later after helping his family. He could have worked a regular job and covered the bills but the military offered him perks down the road (GI Bill, VA medical care, veterans preference on govt jobs, etc.) so he chose that path.

I'm not trying to sugar coat it and a lot of people are focusing on the things I've said they disagree with. I never said ever military member has no options. I didn't say there wasn't a legitimate reason to join. I'm so there really is no reason for the group I've mentioned. And this has pretty much been confirmed by the following posts. A less than ideal financial situation can be a reason.

Like I've said though, I've seen recruiters try to be snakes in high school. I've seen who they got. Excuse me if I'm saying things you don't like. I apologize. I wasn't trying to rip on those that joined.

I'm not trying to sugar coat it and a lot of people are focusing on the things I've said they disagree with. I never said ever military member has no options. I didn't say there wasn't a legitimate reason to join. I'm so there really is no reason for the group I've mentioned. And this has pretty much been confirmed by the following posts. A less than ideal financial situation can be a reason.

Like I've said though, I've seen recruiters try to be snakes in high school. I've seen who they got. Excuse me if I'm saying things you don't like. I apologize. I wasn't trying to rip on those that joined.

Oh I know you aren't trying to rag on anyone. It just ends up sounding really asshole-ish. There are a few guys here who have served who got pissed immediately.

Nearly all of the "behavioral disability' kids (should have been in juvie but didn't do enough) I went to highschool with ended up going off to be marines.

Oh I know you aren't trying to rag on anyone. It just ends up sounding really asshole-ish. There are a few guys here who have served who got pissed immediately.

Nearly all of the "behavioral disability' kids (should have been in juvie but didn't do enough) I went to highschool with ended up going off to be marines.

Yeah, I understand that. If it started with you, I wouldn't have been such a dick.

But all I get is assholeishness from some posters, regardless of what I post, so I gave a little of that back.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I was a grunt in the Army. Then went and spent 20 plus years in the Navy. My oldest brother was killed in Vietnam in 1969. He was a Marine Grunt. 19 years old. That is why I joined. Lots of people who join the Marines or Army Infantry, or volunteer to try and be Seals/Delta Force/Rangers are not your average citizen who wants to sit on their ass in a cube and get fat eating donuts everyday. They want to kick ass, kill, maim, and destroy the enemies of the USA. Why? Because they do. And if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Well, to be perfectly honest, I was a grunt in the Army. Then went and spent 20 plus years in the Navy. My oldest brother was killed in Vietnam in 1969. He was a Marine Grunt. 19 years old. That is why I joined. Lots of people who join the Marines or Army Infantry, or volunteer to try and be Seals/Delta Force/Rangers are not your average citizen who wants to sit on their ass in a cube and get fat eating donuts everyday. They want to kick ass, kill, maim, and destroy the enemies of the USA. Why? Because they do. And if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Yeah I don't think your average cake eater will understand the motivations of the maniacs who are able to make the cut for the elite in the military.Woody was showing his upbringing a hair when he came off that way. He admitted that he knew that he was being a dick from the jump.

Archived