THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Biden's son kicked out of Navy for cocaine

WalterWhite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really blame the guy, I'd be on a shit load of drugs too if I was stuck on boat for 6th fucking months at a time.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/bidens-son-hunter-discharged-from-navy-reserve-after-failing-cocaine-test-1413499657

Aren't there women on those boats now?

I got hit up by the Navy a lot when I was interested in Nuclear Engineering. (I put it on my PSAT). From that point on I was hit up by them constantly, it was annoying. Then we found out if you tll the military you have asthma, they leave you alone. Anyway,I was told all about living on a ship for months at a time, then at port, on a big nuclear carrier. It sounded terrible. The signing bonus was huge and they said you started a few pay levels up, but god... That life would suck.

He never would have been allowed in. Never ever.

uuhhh... the recruiters at our school were happy to get anyone that would listen to them...

As far as the Nuclear Engineer thing, based on the calls, mail, email, etc.... I think they were really looking for people too.

But anyway, I'd never do it. That would be me just throwing my future away.

There goes woodypeckerhead know-it-all-he-thinks, again.

"no other options", bs.

We're veterans - we know what we are talking about.

He's just a veteran of nothing except college. Or "she, as a man" or something. Would anybody be surprised?

We've been down this road. I can say that, based off of the people from my high school that enlisted, they didn't have much else going for them.

Look, if you come from a less fortunate family or something, then its not a terrible opportunity for you. But the ads on TV? Come on... give me a break.

If you have the resources and the intelligence to go to college an succeed, why would you join the military? Shit happens, I get that, but I would imagine the majority of people would pick many other avenues before the military.

Studies exist out there showing the average military recruit comes from a poorer area and has less education. That's not to say they can't do a good job. Or to say that some don't join for other reasons (citizenship, family, etc). But come on, let's not kid ourselves here...

Okay, I didn't read the above post, but was told about it on the phone this morning, by a friend who is really,

really po'd at woodypeckerhead's stupidass garbage. So, without even reading it still,

high school? even to make a blanket statement about the state it's in, is really stupid.

Here's a study that shows the opposite is true:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2008/08/who-serves-in-the-us-military-the-demographics-of-enlisted-troops-and-officers

360142B8859DD8EDA9D80F008077F3B5.gif

Okay, I didn't read the above post, but was told about it on the phone this morning, by a friend who is really,

really po'd at woodypeckerhead's stupidass garbage. So, without even reading it still,

high school? even to make a blanket statement about the state it's in, is really stupid.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2008/08/who-serves-in-the-us-military-the-demographics-of-enlisted-troops-and-officers

http://www.heritage.org/static/reportimages/360142B8859DD8EDA9D80F008077F3B5.gif

Woody a Office Cube hero.

5. Race Profile of Active Duty Force * Includes Black & Other

Over one-fourth are race minorities (25%)

Blacks comprise nearly one-fifth (18%) of active duty force

7.6% 17.8% 25.4% 74.6% Total 11.9% 6.1% 18% 82% Coast Guard 6.3% 15.6% 21.9% 78.1% Air Force 5.2% 11.1% 16.3% 83.7% Marine Corps 14.4% 19.3% 33.8% 66.2% Navy 4.6% 21.5% 26.1% 73.9% Army % Other % Black % Minorities* % White Service Race Distribution, September 2008

Here's one from 2014. Oops. It's has disappeared, Obamao-style

Pentagon Finds Recruits 'A Cut Above Average' - Education Week

www.edweek.org/ew/articles/1982/03/03/01230115.h01.html

Oct 12, 2014 · Washington--A Pentagon-sponsored study comparing military recruits with a representative sample of other young Americans has found that the military ...

Air Force:

http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/airforcepersonneldemographics.asp

Military Demographics
The following Air Force active duty demographics information is current as of June 30, 2014. These statistics are from the current inventory and does not include the Guard, Reserve or Air Force Academy (approximately 4,000 cadets).
Race
The following percentages, which are self-reported, cover Air Force military members' racial information.
73% White
14% Black or African American
3.2% Asian
0.6% American Indian / Native Alaskan
1.1% Native Hawaiian / Other Pacific Islander
3.3% Identified more than one race
4.7% Declined to respond
Ethnicity
"Hispanic or Latino" is considered an ethnic, not a racial, category that is registered separately and in addition to the above racial categories.
12.8% Hispanic or Latino
83.5% Not Hispanic or Latino
3.8% Declined to respond
Snapshot of the Air Force
324,820 Active Duty
64,934 Officers
259,886 Enlisted
The Air Force has 13,811 pilots, 3,606 navigators and 1,546 air battle managers in the grade of lieutenant colonel and below. The Air Force has 25,607 nonrated line officers in the grade of lieutenant colonel and below.
Enlisted Academic Education
63.2% completed some college
22.9% have associate's degrees
7.5% have bachelor's degrees
1.5% have master's degree
0.017% have professional degrees
Airmen Tier
81.86% have some college
4.512% have associate's degrees
2.896% have bachelor's degrees
0.104% have master's degree
0.002% have professional degrees
NCO Tier
58.21% some college
33.646% have associate's degrees
7.131% have bachelor's degrees
0.926% have master's degree
0.011% have professional degrees
Senior NCO Tier
14.33% some college
52.805% have associate's degrees
24.961% have bachelor's degrees
7.811% have master's degrees
0.088% have professional degrees

360142B8859DD8EDA9D80F008077F3B5.gif

Dude.... the Heritage Foundation... a conservative think tank....

Look, if that is what someone really wants to do, then go for it. I can see no reason why you would want to though if you have the resources needed to go to college and succeed. Or hell, even starting a vocational career.

Stats like you have posted can be skewed in many ways. If a college dropout joins the military, he may list his college address as his last address. Comparing him financially to that wouldn't really make sense as that's not where he's from. Also, you take college courses in the military, so the "some college" statistic could be influenced by that.

I looked around last night, and found studies of my own that basically backed what I said (I also found some ripping that heritage study apart). I'll see if I can track them down again.

But look, no need to get all bent out of shape. If you want to, explain to me why a kid would join the army if he has other options. I can think of a few, but what is your reasoning?

Let me chime in here that while I can't imagine enjoying being in the military most guys don't go in as a career they go in for a couple years and move on. I suppose there would be a great deal of experience you could get there that couldn't be attained elsewhere.

Also I don't really know what an engineer or an architect or a research scientist does during his 8 or 10 hour day at work but honest to God I can't conceive of something that would be very much fun. Kind of like being an accountant.

WSS

I'm not saying that the work isn't valuable

It takes people with no better options. Or you were tricked by one of the "awesome, badass" commercials. Or you have a family history of it. Or... maybe a few just really love America that much.....

is it just me or is everything from the keyboard of this guy (sound) insulting?

Cal is absolutely correct. Every other member of the board speak as sweetly, kindly and respectfully as the angels on high.

Except that damned woodpecker!!!!

:D

WSS

lol... I enjoyed that Steve, haha.

and remember, Cal never types any personal insults... and if he does its only because I did it first...

Archived