THE BROWNS BOARD

Dallas patient diagnosed with EBOLA. How many did he come in contact with?

DieHardBrownsFan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cdc is spreading lies about Ebola.

1. It is only spread through direct contact. Obviously it is spread by more than direct contact or missionary doctors and the Dallas nurse would not have caught it.

2. You can only spread Ebola after you show symptoms. Doubtful. If you have the virus and it's replicating in your body then why wouldn't you be able to spread it?

3. Only pharmaceutical drugs can help you. Wrong. Vitamin d, zinc, and selenium help bolster your immune system. Most Americans are deficient in at least one. Give yourself the best chance you can.

4. This is the same strain that infected a few dozen people in 1976. Probably not. Clearly is is more easily spread, since some 8000 people have it. Maybe the strain in 1976 was only spread by direct contact? Well this is worse.

Question for Vaportrail -

If the Ebola virus continues to thrive in Liberia, for example, is it

a legit worry that it will morph into an airborne virus?

Well, another one - take any sweaty lockerroom at some ymca or something....

could the ebola virus be in that sweaty air? On a plane with recycled air and a patient

with ebola starting to cough a lot?

well, I haven't ask any stupid questions for a while......so.....

I can't really give an authoritative answer on these questions (if you asked me about renal function, cardiovascular function, or neuropathies, I'd be your guy). Here's a thread by some experts in the field: http://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/2hy3r9/science_ama_series_ask_your_questions_about_ebola/

There's a few good responses that touch on some of your questions.

/edit here's a thread where they're talking about why it's not spread like influenza

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/2d3p7d/why_is_ebola_not_as_contagious_as_say_influenza/

WHO: 10,000 new Ebola cases per week could be seen

image001-png_162613.png

8 minutes ago

4e6703f0-5138-11e4-952e-83614c18b7be_457

View gallery

• 7826b9564a1f6b28620f6a706700e93e.jpg

GENEVA (AP) — A World Health Organization official says there could be up to 10,000 new cases of Ebola per week within two months.

WHO assistant director-general Dr. Bruce Aylward says if the response to the Ebola crisis isn't stepped up within 60 days, "a lot more people will die" and there will be a huge need on the ground to deal with the spiraling numbers of cases. He said WHO estimated there could up to 10,000 cases per week in two months.

Aylward said for the last four weeks, there have been about 1,000 new cases per week, though that figure includes suspected, confirmed and probable cases.

He said WHO is aiming to have 70 percent of cases isolated within two months to reverse the outbreak.

The cdc has admitted in an offhand way that the disease is spread by more than direct contact. Catching the disease by touching your protective gear that has touched the fluids of an infected person is indirect contact. Clearly the virus stays active outside of the human body for longer than a few seconds.

That's some stupid shit woody. We're talking about a highly virulent disease with a 60-90% fatality rate

The post isn't in response to its fatality rate...

... It's in response to all of the crack pot theories regarding Obama, Ebola, guns, ISIS, Mexicans, etc etc etc.

The post isn't in response to its fatality rate...

... It's in response to all of the crack pot theories regarding Obama, Ebola, guns, ISIS, Mexicans, etc etc etc.

Seriously dude stop being a Retard. If this thing gets out of hand no one is going to give a shit about political alliances.

Does anyone know if the virus can stay active for substantial periods of time outside of the body in temperate climates during winter? In other words will a bad winter help keep the virus from spreading into the Midwest?

Traditionally harsh winter conditions damp down viral activities except that people are often in closer proximity being indoors.

Seriously dude stop being a Retard. If this thing gets out of hand no one is going to give a shit about political alliances.

Riiight, no one is trying to blow this up for political gain. Every article is truth and we're in "big, serious trouble."

You can build your doomsday bunker, I'm going to go about my life. We'll see who ends up better off.

Riiight, no one is trying to blow this up for political gain. Every article is truth and we're in "big, serious trouble."

You can build your doomsday bunker, I'm going to go about my life. We'll see who ends up better off.

Honesty I hope you are right. No one wants to see an Ebola pandemic. But until officials are honest with the public about the real danger we are all in, the risk of a pandemic is greatly increased because people will not be as careful as they should be. It may already be too late. And yes, flights from west Africa should be banned.

Several hours?

Several days if not dried up?

that isn't good. The who says soon, 10k new cases of ebola a day may soon be seen....

4500 have died so far.... it is not funny to anybody with any sense.

How long does Ebola live outside the body?
Ebola is killed with hospital-grade disinfectants (such as household bleach). Ebola on dried on surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops can survive for several hours; however, virus in body fluids (such as blood) can survive up to several days at room temperature.

Look the story is going to be exaggerated by the media no matter how serious it is. That doesn't mean it's a catastrophe nor a complete non concern. Yes the opposition will take advantage of any perceived failure on the part of the administration should it become worse then it is. Rightfully so to an extent. If the administration has absolutely no effect one way or the other then... Well you understand.

WSS

Honesty I hope you are right. No one wants to see an Ebola pandemic. But until officials are honest with the public about the real danger we are all in, the risk of a pandemic is greatly increased because people will not be as careful as they should be. It may already be too late. And yes, flights from west Africa should be banned.

And if people choose to constantly believe the man is lying to them, there is nothing that can change that. Look at climate change and the scientific backing there. It means nothing to people that already know what answer they want to hear.

Which prompts me to ask, am I being over-the-top reactionary in thinking that it's time

to ban flights from Liberia, Nigeria, etc. from landing in the U.S. until they start to get

a handle on this?

No - that would make sense. Other nations are doing this, including African nations.

What percentage of those infected are in Africa with no access to adequate modern health care?

No idea. I would guess that it is vital to diagnose it and begin treatment as soon as symptoms begin to appear.

But the guy in Dallas showed up at the hospital and was sent home. Does your average hospital have the capability

to institute extreme quarantine measures if a case shows up? Apparently, the nurse who has contracted it in

Dallas was wearing the hazmat suit but removed it improperly. When I say extreme quarantine measures I mean

CDC level measures. I honestly question whether your average hospital can implement the extreme measures required

to prevent the spread of this disease.

I don't consider myself a "run for the hills, save yourselves" kind of person but I'm hearing health officials say that Ebola is

not nearly as contagious as the flu. What they fail to mention is that the flu doesn't kill 70% of the people who get it.

While I'm not heading for the survival bunker--yet :) --I do believe there is cause for concern. I honestly don't think banning

flights from Liberia, East Africa, et al is an unreasonable action.

My point was that they said 70% of the people that get it will die. This is across the globe I'm guessing. I'd assume the fatlity rate in Africa will be higher than the US. Not that it isn't extremely dangerous in both cases.

I think the important thing to note here us that we aren't Africa...

Archived