THE BROWNS BOARD

Really Different Take on Our First Round...

Tour2ma

So, Tour2ma, would that draft bring joy to your heart?

Probably not... As with any of the mocks/ sims posted, it's the players available, but not taken that determine my heart's joy level.

For those closely following this year's draft, who's higher up on most draft boards, Kevin White or Amari Cooper? I honestly feel one of those two will fall to us in the draft, in which case, I'd draft a WR.

White and Cooper are very, very close in the aggregate mocks flying around. Right now White is slightly higher with a 6.3 ranking while Cooper's is 6.9.

I'm fine with one of the top 3 receivers (NOT Perriman) in the first round for us.

The notion that Hundley is better than Winston is laughable.

I wouldnt say Hundley isn't better than Winston at this point in time, but I think Hundley's ceiling is equally as high, if not higher, than Winston's.

Hundley is everything you want in a franchise quarterback in terms of mental makeup and athletic ability.

I wouldnt say Hundley isn't better than Winston at this point in time, but I think Hundley's ceiling is equally as high, if not higher, than Winston's.

Hundley is everything you want in a franchise quarterback in terms of mental makeup and athletic ability.

Not to mention none of the off the field red flags that comes with Winston.

Joe Thomas has done a lot for us, hasn't he?

It sure would be nice to get a respectable passing game here while we have a Left Tackle frequenting 8 consecutive Pro Bowls in a passing era. If there aren't any QBs capable of helping us with that in this draft - we have 3 choices:

1) Square peg another round hole with a wrong QB prospect - or -

2) Draft a WR that has a resume full of TDs instead of pretending we can bring in the Taylor Gabriels that will hard work their way to "almost" scoring a TD as some celebrate a draft without a WR -or -

3) Wonder why the teams in our division making the playoffs have guys like AJ Green, Antonio Brown, or Torrey Smith catching TD passes to compliment very good running games.

If Rip Van Winkle started his nap in 1999 and he woke up in 2015 - would he see any progress in our passing game? As bilingually as I can say this - How? Yeah, we have better blockers and a better running game; but coincidentally enough - the ONLY time we won 10 games in 1 season - we counted on 3 former first round draft picks (Edwards, Jurevicius and Winslow) to help a career backup QB perform like a Pro Bowl alternate with 29 TD passes. The running game was also a huge help that made that one of the only years we've enjoyed a balanced attack here since we got our team back. That at least gave us evidence we can make this a much easier team to QB. I mean starting 2007 choosing between the least of all evils at QB isn't much different than today. The difference was we weren't playing gridiron chess with pawns on the perimeter. The additions of Hartline and Bowe are nice; but their better stats came when they had speed on the other side of the formation. Changing the color of the uniform won't change that reality. The GREAT news here is we're going to have someone on our doorstep that can offer us the speed we need to attack teams vertically with as well as the size you can't easily press to ultimately open up underneath for guys like Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins, and others. Divine intervention can't help us if we keep saying no thanks to it.

When McCown had Chicago's running game (via Forte) and huge red zone targets like Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett - he outplayed Cutler as easily as breathing. The Tampa situation was nothing like that unless one wants to prove their struggling running game reminded them a lot of Matt Forte; and good luck with that. In terms of running the ball, we're more like the Chicago team McCown played on than the Tampa team except we have a much better offensive line. Understanding this team won 7 games while losing 3 as time expired as well as some second half leads to playoff caliber teams - there's no reason 9 or 10 draft picks shouldn't improve us by 2-3 wins. It's more doable than people think if our front office makes the right moves...

I never noticed Perriman until Flugels mentioned him highly. So, I started reading up on him,

and now he's skyrocketed up the charts. Nice job, Mr. Flugels !

Haven't been a keen fan of Hundley. Something about all the writings about the questions of him

reading defenses in the pros....but, what if he IS the guy?

makes sense.

I just don't know about a Taylor-Kitchen rotation. One gets banged up playing the rough position at NT,

and....

suppose Goldman falls to them in the second round? nah. Very interesting article !

Thanks Cal! Woody added some highlights you might want to see in the thread I started about Perriman a couple days ago.

That was a good point about the Taylor-Kitchen rotation. If it boiled down to what guy I could trust more when the game is on the line - it would have to be Kitchen. I like the effort he gives us for that blue collar position. As much as I LOVE Danny Shelton for our #12 overall pick - man does it suck we'll need to spend 2 different 1st round draft picks on DTs before we find 1 guy up to the task of playing NT at a high level here. When Taylor WANTS to play and is lined up inside - he can perform like a keeper. I just haven't seen enough evidence of WANTS from him even when he is healthy. When a guy shows up out of shape - it says a lot about what he's willing to commit. When it's a first round draft investment we're really counting on - that sucks.

Archived