THE BROWNS BOARD

Roger Goodell: We take Browns texting "VERY SERIOUSLY"

WalterWhite

It's not about example. If you get caught breaking the rules you get punished. That's the similarity between SpyGate, Peterson, Hardy, Vick, Brent, etc. If they take away 12 instead of 19 we can argue that the penalty may be too harsh but let's not be the fans who endorse breaking the rules

Well I see it more as a fan who doesn't endorse jail time for rolling through a stop sign.

WSS

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest....

It was Shanny who broke the rules....HE had the phone with him(and shouldnt have)....He had it on(and shouldnt have)......he checked it during a game(and shouldn't have).......THEN IT GETS EVEN WORSE.....

Shanny decided he wanted out and wanted to leave the Browns, so he called Mary Kay Crabbot and completely back stabbed his boss(Farmer) and screwed the whole team, Pettine, the other coaches and all the player.....for his own personal selfish reasons...

and he gets to leave and get a new job, while the team and players stay to pay the piper.....

Im usually a pretty chill dude, but Id kick his whiny little pussified ass If I ever saw him in person......

Kid Shanny has always struck me as a dude who pulls some douche move like demanding service at a bar with the claim "do you know who my father is!". I haven't been so happy to shed a coach since the still fat Ryan brother.

we don't even know if there'll be a draft pick involved.............plenty of money though, i'm sure.

i'd love to hear these owners by themselves behind closed doors at say, a poker game.

"thanks jimmy for the extra couple of dollars that you all provided us" jerrah jones laughs as he pulls back a stack of poker chips.

we don't even know if there'll be a draft pick involved.............plenty of money though, i'm sure.

i'd love to hear these owners by themselves behind closed doors at say, a poker game.

"thanks jimmy for the extra couple of dollars that you all provided us" jerrah jones laughs as he pulls back a stack of poker chips.

No it's all speculation right now but the NFL knows that money isn't really a deterrent

Unfortunately Farmer broke the rules and typically in a society full of rules you get punished. Now when deciding the punishment I would hope advantage vs. disadvantage would play a role but the NFL, as of late, likes standardizing punishments.

So you can't text during a game, but it's OK to send down pictures of the opposing team's formations? Suspend Farmer for X games, and fine him X amount of money- if we lose a first round pick, I'm gonna be pissed.

Troy Palamalamalamua was fined $10000 a year or 2 ago for using his phone on the sideline........

so my question would be why does HE get fined as an individual, while the Browns are getting a team penalty....???

Shouldn't the stoolers lose a pick if the Browns are ???

I say fine Shanny and/or Farmer and keep your frigging fingers off our picks.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7131025/pittsburgh-steelers-troy-polamalu-fined-10k-making-sideline-cell-phone-call

Again.. This dumbassery falls on the Man, who hired Farmer. And that's Haslam.... Goodell should've been fired during the Ray Rice fiasco...

Troy Palamalamalamua was fined $10000 a year or 2 ago for using his phone on the sideline........

so my question would be why does HE get fined as an individual, while the Browns are getting a team penalty....???

I say fine Shanny and/or Farmer and keep your frigging fingers off our picks.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7131025/pittsburgh-steelers-troy-polamalu-fined-10k-making-sideline-cell-phone-call

Petty violation. Fine Ray Farmer. Over.

I'll take a stab at this one. Because Polly played for Rooney; and Roger Goodfella answers to Rooney. Therefore, the player gets fined while Rooney's bottom line gets protected. Nothing new. Farmer doesn't work for the right owner in a league that doesn't treat/punish all teams equally.

The following excerpt sheds some light on why Roger Goodell remains forever obligated to please Rooney first and foremost. I remember another similar article that talked about how important it was for Rooney to deliver the news personally to his good friend after all his hard work campaigning to get the majority of owners sold on Roger.

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
NORTHBROOK, Ill. — At 5:30 p.m. CT Tuesday, Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, co-chairmen of the NFL's commissioner search committee, ducked out of meetings with the owners and into the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel lobby elevator. Both men wore dark suits and focused looks.

Rooney drew the easy job, knocking on the door of Roger Goodell, hugging and congratulating Paul Tagliabue's right-hand man on being the right man to take on the job of commissioner for arguably America's most popular professional sports league. "I was doing some work, trying to be distracted, and Mr. Rooney came up and knocked on the door and told me," said Goodell, who received a five-year contract. "Thankfully, I had put my pants on."

Richardson knocked on the door of league counsel Gregg Levy, who had impressed owners over two days of presentations only to lose out on the fifth ballot, which went unanimously to Goodell. "Roger knew it was good news because I was smiling," Rooney said later. "I was looking for the best person to be commissioner, and I had no doubt in my mind that was Roger Goodell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. Goodell is a handpicked tool. A lot of fans of other teams, have seen that with the steelers, and a few other teams,

how things are handled differently in favor of his buddies/owners - filtering down to the refs

in big games - the steelers would have lost all sorts of big games, if not for ridiculous, right-on-cue

"pass interference" calls at crunch time late in games, etc.

Rumor is the Falcons will lose a second rounder for piping in crowd noise must be Goddell loves Arthur Blank

To me, thats an obvious attempt to cheat and/or hurt the other team........a thousand times worse than any text.....(I hope)

To me, thats an obvious attempt to cheat and/or hurt the other team........a thousand times worse than any text.....(I hope)

And that's where I think I disagree with everyone on this board, must be I'm wrong :) , while I do think crowd noise is a deliberate way to try and get a competitive advantage I really don't have the txt messages to know what was said. I've been speaking under the assumption that Farmer was not texting Shanahan dinner reservations but actual information he thought would increase the Browns success on the field. If Farmer was texting, "you suck at you job" or "the offense doesn't look good" he should be fired for being a fucking idiot. Now if they were, "dude Gordon isn't running hard so don't throw it to him" or "c'mon run the ball more they are weak on the outside" that would be trying to gain a competitive advantage, even though a bad attempt.

They didn't tape practice, the Patriots taped the game which you are allowed to do. Where the violation occurred is they taped the Jets from the Jets sideline which you can't do. You have to tape them from your sideline.

As I understand the rule you cannot tape anything from either sideline. There are designated video areas in every stadium and none are on the field.

So, it boils down to "how do you text someone who shouldnt have their phone?"......Id say Farmer had a reasonable expectation that Shanny wouldn't get the message till AFTER the game......

Exactly what my question has been...

And that's where I think I disagree with everyone on this board, must be I'm wrong :) , while I do think crowd noise is a deliberate way to try and get a competitive advantage I really don't have the txt messages to know what was said. I've been speaking under the assumption that Farmer was not texting Shanahan dinner reservations but actual information he thought would increase the Browns success on the field. If Farmer was texting, "you suck at you job" or "the offense doesn't look good" he should be fired for being a fucking idiot. Now if they were, "dude Gordon isn't running hard so don't throw it to him" or "c'mon run the ball more they are weak on the outside" that would be trying to gain a competitive advantage, even though a bad attempt.

First, if Farmer was offering any insight that our press box staff was not, then we need better coaches.

Second, I wonder... if Ray had simply stuck his head into the coaches box and made the comments he texted, would that violate a rule?

I really don't have the txt messages to know what was said. I've been speaking under the assumption that Farmer was not texting Shanahan dinner reservations but actual information he thought would increase the Browns success on the field. If Farmer was texting, "you suck at you job" or "the offense doesn't look good" he should be fired for being a fucking idiot. Now if they were, "dude Gordon isn't running hard so don't throw it to him" or "c'mon run the ball more they are weak on the outside" that would be trying to gain a competitive advantage, even though a bad attempt.

Clearly you dont get the issue here.....The texts content is not the point.....he can tell the coaches anything he wants. It's simply the vehicle he used to deliver the message.....

First, if Farmer was offering any insight that our press box staff was not, then we need better coaches.

Second, I wonder... if Ray had simply stuck his head into the coaches box and made the comments he texted, would that violate a rule?

No....it would not have violated the rules and THATS what he should have done.....

Clearly you dont get the issue here.....The texts content is not the point.....he can tell the coaches anything he wants. It's simply the vehicle he used to deliver the message.....

No....it would not have violated the rules and THATS what he should have done.....

I have posting all along that the content doesn't matter, it is simply the breaking of the rule that Goddell cares about, but everyone in here is hanging their hats on, "it's no big deal the Browns didn't get a competitive advantage so anything bigger than a $20,000 fine is excessive". And my point with the above is why break a rule for no reason? If Farmer didn't think what he had to say was pertinent to the moment and the success of the team or he "McNabb'd" it and didn't know he was breaking a rule he's an idiot.

I have posting all along that the content doesn't matter, it is simply the breaking of the rule that Goddell cares about, but everyone in here is hanging their hats on, "it's no big deal the Browns didn't get a competitive advantage so anything bigger than a $20,000 fine is excessive". And my point with the above is why break a rule for no reason? If Farmer didn't think what he had to say was pertinent to the moment and the success of the team or he "McNabb'd" it and didn't know he was breaking a rule he's an idiot.

If he cares about breaking rules as much as you say he does - I can't wait to see him hand down punishment in the form of draft picks to those teams that violated the rules of contacting FAs before they were supposed to this year. It's been announced the Commissioner was really upset about that so we'll see how willing he is to punish all teams equally. There's a reason he's lost so much trust in the area of treating all teams equally when they break rules. You'll get there when enough of us get you examples of this as well as seeing what he does in similar instances moving forward. History rarely lies.

If he cares about breaking rules as much as you say he does - I can't wait to see him hand down punishment in the form of draft picks to those teams that violated the rules of contacting FAs before they were supposed to this year. It's been announced the Commissioner was really upset about that so we'll see how willing he is to punish all teams equally. There's a reason he's lost so much trust in the area of treating all teams equally when they break rules. You'll get there when enough of us get you examples of this as well as seeing what he does in similar instances moving forward. History rarely lies.

I don't know other than the Jets calling out the Patriots any other claims that have been made. Teams can actually negotiate 3 days prior to free agency starting but cannot actually execute a contract until the free agent period begins. So I'm not sure, again other than the Jet & Patriots, which teams are crying foul.

Wait a minute bacon, Ray farmer should be fired for texting that Kyle Shanahan was a fucking idiot? Please...

:D

WSS

If Farmer costs the Browns #12 for sending a txt to Shanahan an idiot, yes if I were Haslam I'd fire him.

If the Browns have to give up #19, I'd have him apologize again and announce that the team has placed him on organizational probation. The probation is PR BS but it shows that everyone is held to a standard not just players.

If it's later than a 1st rounder or simply a cash fine I'd let it go away and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Tour alluded to this....

So what's the difference between that and a coach in the pressbox saying exactly the same things? It's OK to do it over headphones, but texting is bad, bad, BAD?

In my mind the text was innocent enough and not the same as...say....a phone call. With 2 way communication and intent.

No...I see a text as more of an email...or message....that could just be a normal memo type of communication...

Ima keep harping on it......and it doesn't eliminate Farmer from all the liability here......but the RULES are no phones on the sidelines....and it wasn't Farmer who was on the side line using his phone.....

and Im also gonna guess that, along with his expectation that Shanny's phone was off, Farmer also never expected his Offensive Coordinator to snitch his team out to the press and bring all this down on his own players, co workers and boss....

Has any coach EVER done this to his own team????

Tour alluded to this....

So what's the difference between that and a coach in the pressbox saying exactly the same things? It's OK to do it over headphones, but texting is bad, bad, BAD?

In my personal opinion there is no difference but unfortunately I don't make or enforce the rules for the NFL. And I'm not so concerned with what was gained as I am with what we will lose. As I've said in this thread numerous times it is up to players, coaches, GMs and owners to know the rules and follow them. I hold Farmer to the same standard as I would a player regarding breaking the rules and cost to the team. It just seems from comments in this thread that breaking an NFL rule is much less important than the qualitative guessing of the advantage gained, the validity of the rule itself and the relationship of other rules infractions.

In my mind the text was innocent enough and not the same as...say....a phone call. With 2 way communication and intent.

No...I see a text as more of an email...or message....that could just be a normal memo type of communication...

Ima keep harping on it......and it doesn't eliminate Farmer from all the liability here......but the RULES are no phones on the sidelines....and it wasn't Farmer who was on the side line using his phone.....

and Im also gonna guess that, along with his expectation that Shanny's phone was off, Farmer also never expected his Offensive Coordinator to snitch his team out to the press and bring all this down on his own players, co workers and boss....

Has any coach EVER done this to his own team????

ya think ANY NFL coach would NOT snitch his team out??......Its aginst

That's where we will agree to disagree :)

I'm going to hold final judgment out until the Browns receive their penalty but if it is as severe as some are reporting I won't care about Farmer's intent, Shanahan's morals (or lack there of) or whether or not the Patriots cheat. I'll care about what our GM knowingly, or for being inept, cost the franchise.

ok....fair enough....Im certainly not happy with him....thats for sure...

Allow me this....since the "content" isnt at issue....and Goodell has already publicly stated this by saying its simply because "he broke the rule and not what he said"....then can we allow that the league set the precedent for this infraction when they fined Palamalamalua $10,000???

Archived