THE BROWNS BOARD

Danny Shelton

SkippinTurtles

i myself would take shelton all day long considering you have to question whether taylor can last a whole season.

Phil's good every other year so I expect to see a lot of him in 2015. My issue is Kitchen. He's not a #2 NT IMO. With Shelton and Taylor in a 1-2 rotation there's position dominance on the field the entire game.

As far as Shelton is concerned doesn't he project at DT?

NT... best NT prospect in the draft.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with all these crazy mocks i'm seeing (shelton falling to us, kevin white falling to us etc. etc.) who knows what's going to happen.

all i know if i was a defensive minded head coach and we needed the center of our D line upgraded, shelton would be the guy.

i'm hopin farmer pulls his best sonny weaver on draft night.

Just something to consider for all those who feel defense, especially Dline isn't something of a priority. I wasn't aware of just how bad it was until I saw some PFF stats backing up what my eyes saw. - NO, it wasn't our linebackers.

"
The Browns defensive line that combined to earn a -48.6 overall grade last season which featured only one defender with a positive overall grade"

i'm hopin farmer pulls his best sonny weaver on draft night.

Just so long as he doesn't Instagram it, he can pull whatever he wants...

Phil's good every other year so I expect to see a lot of him in 2015. My issue is Kitchen. He's not a #2 NT IMO. With Shelton and Taylor in a 1-2 rotation there's position dominance on the field the entire game.

NT... best NT prospect in the draft.

I know who he is and have been enamored with him since the senior bowl. I'd LOVE for him to be a Steeler but I know that's a pipe dream. My point was unless I was missing something he doesn't also project to de and with Taylor its just overkill for the browns to draft him. Unless they have no faith in taylor staying healthy. Shelton isn't a two down DT either. He's like ngata.

I know who he is and have been enamored with him since the senior bowl. I'd LOVE for him to be a Steeler but I know that's a pipe dream. My point was unless I was missing something he doesn't also project to de and with Taylor its just overkill for the browns to draft him. Unless they have no faith in taylor staying healthy. Shelton isn't a two down DT either. He's like ngata.

You're getting hung up on position labels that don't apply to Pet's scheme. It's a 3-4 that more closely resembles a 4-3 in many sets. That Big Phil was called a DE last year is exhibit A for what I am saying.

Totally hear you on the 2-down BS though. He's not fast but plenty quick enough to pressure up the middle and rack up a few sacks. Ngata was more explosive and faster, maybe even a bit stronger, and undoubtedly has better hands... but not a bad comparison. Being 2" shorter, Shelton may be slightly tougher to move.

NO, it wasn't our linebackers.

The Browns defensive line that combined to earn a -48.6 overall grade last season which featured only one defender with a positive overall grade"

This was basically the premise of my defense analysis post....

just to add the that -48.6 score......the Browns bottom 5 scores were all DL.....and bottom 7 outta 10....

The worst 5 Browns defenders(by score) were:

Phil Taylor....-6.5

D. Bryant......-6.5

B. Winn........-7.7

Sione Fua....-11.4

A. Ruben.....-14.3

add Kitchen at -2.7 and A. Bryant at -3.4.....

Kind of says it all about the run defense.....though, NOW, they gotta decide if it was injury....talent.....or scheme.....

Archived