THE BROWNS BOARD

AFC North Free Agency Scoreboard

The Gipper

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than Jordan Cameron switch and Ravens resigning Forsett, no other AFCN activity in the last 2 days.

Polian on the radio said today would be very active, because guys would be scrambling for jobs. Supposedly now it is a "Buyer's Market"........or maybe that is just wishful thinking because he thinks like a management guy/GM.

You first. Where do you replace players you have lost if you don't get other FAs or rookies to replace them?

As for the FA for FA thing... I don't subscribe to it. Draft is just as viable a route for backfilling unless veteran experience adds a tangible premium, e.g., back up QB. Otherwise IMO the relative talent pools should determine which way to go.

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood.

Remember to check original post for all AFCN transactions.

I do wonder what the Ravens are gonna do. They have lost 10 players off their roster, and only replaced one.

They have resigned a few, but, are they going to fill that roster with all new rookies and UDFAs?

Or do you think they will make some late signings of veteran FAs? Perhaps they will try to pick up some dregs....errrr, I mean, nuggets, just before training camp.

Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

To rank at this point I would say:

1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

2. Browns

3. Steelers

4. Ravens

Browns lose FB Ray Agnew to Dallas and Ahtyba Rubin to Seattle, noted.

Say it with me Mud. Draft FB Tyler Varga.. Yale Football Rules!!

But are there plans to use him as a RB?

well....he is a FB who can run.....(and block and catch)...(and he plays like a Brown)...(really)....

But no, not your TE hybrid type.....I know....

Still like him.....gritty, smart, strong, tough, versatile......there's gotta be spot for him.....

Point was that he runs around a 4.6 with good acceleration and decent agility. So he's on the high end of the RB range as far as speed goes, but he's on the small side at 5'11, 222 for a NFL FB or H-back.

Just seems to me more of a RB candidate... not sure about being a 5th Rnd RB candidate tho...

Two words, Smash mouth. Let him lead block for Crow or West, he's blowing up somebody. Good hands for screens flipo style. Build like a brick shithouse.. Great to see D. Sills a Bengal, great news on his daughter Stay Strong...

Just seems to me more of a RB candidate... not sure about being a 5th Rnd RB candidate tho...

Yeah....probably more of a RB, simply because he actually can run....he's smallish(yes), but built like an ox and tough as nails....I think he'll play bigger.....

Plus, I'd like to add a Yaley to the mix....he can be Bryants brainy Ivy league counterpart for the O....

Two words....Smash mouth.

yeppers....would look good in my favorite color....December Orange....

Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

To rank at this point I would say:

1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

2. Browns

3. Steelers

4. Ravens

Are you really ranking free agency activity? The steelers almost never play in fa. We signed moats, McCain was not our best corner this past season Gay was and Williams is the perfect compliment to Bell. We extended Ben and just signed Harrison. The Steelers build through the draft. Teams that build through fa lose for a reason. Name a team that has gone nuts in fa that has won anything recently worth discussing. Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.

Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.

Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

Other reasons off the top of my head:

- injury replacements;

- final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

- mentorship;

- stewardship.

I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

Other reasons off the top of my head:

- injury replacements;

- final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

- mentorship;

- stewardship.

I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

Name a team that has drafted so well that they couldn't keep all their players and instead of just restocking in the draft they turned to free agency. I don't disagree on the veteran precence or the final piece. My point was teams that go hard in free agency usually aren't very good or completely changing their system. Chip kelly is a strange example of exactly that process.

Archived