THE BROWNS BOARD

The Rg3 Bidding War Has Begun

runyon27

Why would the Rams prefer the Washington offer?

1) Because the Redskins offer is a 2013 first rounder, not a second

2) A high third round pick is worth more than a high fourth (double actually, if you'd bother to check the chart)

3) They still get Blackmon or Kalil trading back up.

What would H&H have to do (hypothetically) to beat the (hypothetical) Redskins offer? Both firsts, a third and next years first. Sorry about that.

Give up three premium picks for one player? RGIII had better be the next Elway at that price.

What? This post is very confusing.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is an INSANE offer. This year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd and next year's 1st is what the Skins are offering and that might not even be their maximum? I might be completley done with the Browns if they tried to best that. No player is worth all of that especially not on a team with this many gaping holes.

From Don Banks at SI regarding the Rams and the #2 pick...

• Two months out from the draft, here are the things I believe in regards to the No. 2 pick and the St. Louis Rams:

-- There's at most a 10 percent chance the Rams sit tight and take the pick at No. 2. At most. With the team's new regime fully committed to Sam Bradford at quarterback, it would be stupifying to make the pick and not use the leverage this draft has handed them in the race for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

-- In order of likelihood when it comes to potential trade partners, I think St. Louis sees it as No. 4 Cleveland in the pole position, followed by No. 6 Washington and No. 8 Miami. Obviously, the less the Rams have to drop down in the first round, the more attractive the deal will be for St. Louis.

-- If they trade with the Browns, the Rams are likely to still be able to get Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon, the player they would probably target at No. 2. What's not to like about that scenario, when you also pick up Cleveland's No. 22 pick and at least one more selection in the middle rounds? Washington and Miami would have to offer their 2013 first-round picks, and the Rams might prefer to take two players in this year's opening round rather than wait for the unknown next year.

-- While the Browns, Redskins and Dolphins are the no-brainer teams to watch, don't be shocked if some team without an obvious No. 1 quarterback vacancy falls in love with RG3 and makes St. Louis a trade offer for the No. 2 slot. I don't know who that might be, but I can guess, can't I? Denver? Philadelphia? Kansas City? Imagine the possibilities of the Eagles then putting Michael Vick up for trade, or the Broncos having to make time for Griffin and Tim Tebow? That would get wild.

-- The Browns are the team that has the most to gain by landing Griffin, and that's why I'm sticking with them pulling the trigger. Cleveland has been looking for the answer at quarterback since swinging and missing on Tim Couch with the No. 1 pick in 1999, when the expansion Browns made their re-entry into the NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/25/snap-judgments-combine-saturday/index.html#ixzz1nXFL6thT

I'd let the Rams trade that pick if that's their cup of tea, then I'd burn them by taking Kalil right out from under their nose. Put Kalil on our line with the number 4- OL problems are solved for the next decade. Then at 22 take another player that shores up our inequities. Then find a way to get Chase Minnifield. This is way better than trading the farm for anyone. Goddamn it!- I've waited ALL year to get these "3" players that will have an impact for our team and now we may trade all three for "RG3"... Uhg- if he last till four then I've come to terms with drafting RG"mock3"... although there is no way in Sam's Hell I'd give up that much potential to land one player. There are just too many good players to pass on. Richardson, Kalil, Blackmon- one will be there at four and the Rams can suck their greedy thumbs...

A first, two high seconds, two high thirds, plus two first round picks next year. On second thought- if the Rams drop down to #6 they could easily offer the Browns one of the second round picks to move back up to #4. And if I'm Heckert- I take it.

We would be in the driver's seat there...If Blackmon & Kalil were there for us at 4 & the Rams wanted one of 'em bad enough, I'd push for #6, #34, & a 3rd or 4th. It may seem ridiculous, but if they don't do it, they'll lose both.

Mike

Exactly what I was afraid would happen. If we want Griffin, we're going to wind up paying an Andrew Luck price for him- and not even get Luck. :(

BTW, if the rumor is true, if you go by the draft value chart what the Redskins are offering, is not only more than enough to snag Griffin, it's more than enough to move up to #1 overall and take Luck.

Technically- to the Browns the Rams pick is worth both our first rounders, plus the high fourth.

Screw the chart. It's a guide... sometimes it works, sometimes not.

If we are convinced RGIII is worth it, both 1st's and our 2nd is worth it....if you land a QB, the draft is set.

It isn't about draft picks people, it's about the players you get.

I personally never felt like we'd trade up for RGIII. If he fell to us, I could see us taking him, but we aren't going to waste those extra picks we have when we went out of our way to get them last year. Now that the bidding is getting so high I see us just staying put and drafting Blackmon, or trading back a few spots and getting Floyd.

^ The latter is fine with me...

AJ Green Anthony Costanzo and Jabaal Sheard last years 4,22,37 I'd trade them for Newton.

If you are like me and hoping we get RG3 you can just hope the Rams are turned off by going all the way down to 6.

Easier to say that about Newton now... What were you saying a year ago?

From Don Banks at SI regarding the Rams and the #2 pick...

-- In order of likelihood when it comes to potential trade partners, I think St. Louis sees it as No. 4 Cleveland in the pole position, followed by No. 6 Washington and No. 8 Miami. Obviously, the less the Rams have to drop down in the first round, the more attractive the deal will be for St. Louis.

This only considers their ability to still get a player they covet. The further you trade down the more you get in terms of volume of quality picks... thus the talk of WSH's 2013 #1... which will be a high #1... again.

What it comes down to is how close the Rams think they are to breaking out. I think Fischer is a realist and will have convinced them they are not that close. And that means getting maximum value for their #2 and that means more high picks and hello WSH.

I think RGIII will be fantastic but I'm scared to give up our first 3 picks for one guy when we have so many holes on this team.

If you're scared, you are not convinced... plain and simple.

I know griffin has had a great combine but I dont believe that draft rumor Washington would be crazy to offer that much and im an RG3 fan...If I was Cleveland id offer our 4th and 22nd along with a middle round pick somewhere hopefully are extra 4th rounder from Atlanta,but I dont see Washington offering that much I think the most they would do would be this years first next years first as well as a 2nd somewhere...I mean you have to think why offer such a crazy number upfront the browns or skins are going to try an lowball until the other team sees its ridicilous to continue which would happen way before they got as far as this rumor suggests

I had this long ass essay written up for you Ghoolie. But I realized you're not even worth it. I'll simplify it though. Quit raging over a message board. You don't have to be a dick because people disagree with you. No one really likes you. Why can't you have civilized conversations with people? Granola gonorrhea was god damn hilarious. I'm gonna have to use that one in my real life. And finally. Going from 6-10 (5-11 in actuality) to 4-12 is regression, not progression. Just lighten up man. I think you could probably be a pleasant person around here if you didn't have to be such a toolbag.

Give the skins RG3 I would rather us give the Vikings our 22nd and swap 3 and 4 to get Kalil. Then pick up Wilson with our 2nd round and then Minnifield in the 3rd then trade both our 4ths and pick up Streeter or Mcnutt again in the 4th.

or we can gamble it all and pick RG3

Rg3 and bob the builder in the 7th round (glad rg3 is almost as fast as Vick so he can throw the ball then catch it himself)

or

Kalil, Wilson, Minnifield & McNutt

that's how you build a team

Cincy will still have the best picks....possibly Trent Richardson and Floyd...how are we gonna stop that offense now?

What? This post is very confusing.

No, you're confused. Canton Mike got it. You can't get past your Griffin Man-Crush. The Redskins (theoretical) offer IS superior to yours. In fact, it's flat out stupid to those of us who happen to be objective about the situation.

I'll spell it out as simply as I can. If the Redskins offer is true- that's enough value to not only move up to #2 to take Griffin, it's enough to move up to #1 to take Luck.

I fervently hope H&H aren't going to be dumb enough to give away THREE premium picks to move up two draft slots.

IF the Rams would take the Redskins potential offer (they'd be fools not to) Kalil and Blackmon (two blue chip prospects at positions of dire need for the Rams) will be off the board. The Vikings will take one (most likely Kalil) - the Browns will have the other sitting in their laps. So it's time for the Browns to play reverse screw job- hold the Rams hostage.

No, you're confused. Canton Mike got it. You can't get past your Griffin Man-Crush. The Redskins (theoretical) offer IS superior to yours. In fact, it's flat out stupid to those of us who happen to be objective about the situation.

I'll spell it out as simply as I can. If the Redskins offer is true- that's enough value to not only move up to #2 to take Griffin, it's enough to move up to #1 to take Luck.

I fervently hope H&H aren't going to be dumb enough to give away THREE premium picks to move up two draft slots.

IF the Rams would take the Redskins potential offer (they'd be fools not to) Kalil and Blackmon (two blue chip prospects at positions of dire need for the Rams) will be off the board. The Vikings will take one (most likely Kalil) - the Browns will have the other sitting in their laps. So it's time for the Browns to play reverse screw job- hold the Rams hostage.

You need to extract the "Blackmon is a top 5 lock" logic from your brain.

He's not a top 5 lock, so there is value for STL to trade back to #6 because I believe both Blackmon (if he doesn't run 4.49 or lower) and Floyd (or Rieff) will be there for them to choose.

I don't think the Browns want Blackmon or Richardson @ #4 so therefore it makes trading UP even more of a necessity.

Getting back to which package is more valuable, I think the Rams value #22 more than a 2013 #1 pick from Washington because they have players scouted and are dealing with a known variable.

#100/#118

If the take take the Browns trade, they'll have their choice of four of the top 66 players with them being able to get an impact OT (Rieff) and Receiver (Hill, Jeffrey, Wright) that can be the foundation of their offense for years to come.

If they take the Redskins offer:

Redskins offer includes their #39 + #70 but does that equal #22 + #100 or #118?

What do you think?

#6 + #39 + #70 <<<< #4 + #22 + #100 or #118?

It's not even close.

And in your scenario you had the Rams trading #6 + #33 to the Browns to get back up to #4?????

Why do that when they can make the Browns trade amd keep #33 while getting #4 + #22??

Your post continues to not make any sense just like I stated originally.

If you want to talk about Washington's 2013 #1, then the Browns 2nd rounder continues to make their deal superior but I doubt they even have to include it.

Browns #4 + #22 + 4th rounder (Falcons or our's if it seals the deal) beats any Washington offer that has went public.

In High school and college I asked out the most beautiful women...

College? You're shitting us, right?

And "asking" ain't dating...

I know griffin has had a great combine...

Correction... he had a great 40 time and jumped high and far.

If the Redskins offer is true- that's enough value to not only move up to #2 to take Griffin, it's enough to move up to #1 to take Luck.

Here's a case for the Rams rumored offer. With Luck effectively off of the board to the Colts, maybe even including pre-draft negotiations and signing, then effectively the Rams have the #1 pick.

Add to the above at least one team who is completely sold on RGIII and his "1b" status in the draft, and they will assemble a #1 worthy package to move to the #2 slot.

We're not there...

We hope H&H aren't there...

But it does seem that Snyderville is there...

"RGIII-2-DC"

I like the sound of that... ;)

Daniel Snyder has always been a bit of an idiot, and overpays for everything. It is one of the reasons the Redskins have been one of the worst teams in the league for 20 years now.

The reports are that the Browns have sent signals that they are not interested in trading up to get RGIII. Good....but my question is: why would the Redskins bid against themselves?

Because of Snyder's insanity?

As much as I would love to draft RG3, I just don't think we should give that much up to get him. We do have holes to fill. I'm torn. Part of me is like... just frickin' do what we need to do to get it done, yet, I think about TWO FIRST ROUNDERS... Blackmon, O-Line or LineBacker.. Or even Blackmon and Wright... to WR's. That would have to make any QB better. I don't know. It's like shoppin' for a car. Unless you have absolutely fallen in love with something, sometimes it can be daunting with all the options out there. There is a lot of pressure to make the right decision.

You need to extract the "Blackmon is a top 5 lock" logic from your brain.

He's not a top 5 lock, so there is value for STL to trade back to #6 because I believe both Blackmon (if he doesn't run 4.49 or lower) and Floyd (or Rieff) will be there for them to choose.

I don't think the Browns want Blackmon or Richardson @ #4 so therefore it makes trading UP even more of a necessity.

Getting back to which package is more valuable, I think the Rams value #22 more than a 2013 #1 pick from Washington because they have players scouted and are dealing with a known variable.

#100/#118

If the take take the Browns trade, they'll have their choice of four of the top 66 players with them being able to get an impact OT (Rieff) and Receiver (Hill, Jeffrey, Wright) that can be the foundation of their offense for years to come.

If they take the Redskins offer:

Redskins offer includes their #39 + #70 but does that equal #22 + #100 or #118?

What do you think?

I think what I have always thought: If the Rams want to give us #2 in exchange for #4 and #66, fine. And I might throw in the Browns 3rd rounder in 2013.

And, by the way: all accounts are that the Browns brain trust is thinking along my lines. So be it.

#6 + #39 + #70 <<<< #4 + #22 + #100 or #118?

It's not even close.

And in your scenario you had the Rams trading #6 + #33 to the Browns to get back up to #4?????

Why do that when they can make the Browns trade amd keep #33 while getting #4 + #22??

Your post continues to not make any sense just like I stated originally.

If you want to talk about Washington's 2013 #1, then the Browns 2nd rounder continues to make their deal superior but I doubt they even have to include it.

Browns #4 + #22 + 4th rounder (Falcons or our's if it seals the deal) beats any Washington offer that has went public.

Daniel Snyder has always been a bit of an idiot, and overpays for everything. It is one of the reasons the Redskins have been one of the worst teams in the league for 20 years now.

The reports are that the Browns have sent signals that they are not interested in trading up to get RGIII. Good....but my question is: why would the Redskins bid against themselves?

Have to also keep in mind the Redskins interest in Peyton Manning. They are rumored to be right there with Miami and Arizona in terms of teams with the most interest in picking him up should the Colts release him. That would change things in the draft as well.

I dont want to skim through all of this, but a good point was made about the Skins and trading there pick. I think that it is safe to say the Rams want either Blackmon or Kalil. The only way they get either of those players is if they trade with the Browns or stay put. With the Vikings Browns and Buccs all slated to pick before the Skins (arguably the front runner at RGIII because Dan Snyder is a Retard) the Skins have to decide if they want Riley Reiff or Michael Floyd as their two replacements. That is unless they decide to go Claiborne or someone else. But I would think their board stacks up as Kalil or Blackmon as the one and two.

This article is worth a read:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7607706/robert-griffin-iii-many-teams-buzzing-excitement

Seems to be pretty level headed, but was written before the combine. I think a ton of this buzz is media driven seeking a compelling story and we all need to take a step back and remember that NFL front offices rarely listen to what the media has to say...

Fwiw, Dan Snyder isn't calling the shots anymore.

Its a Shanahan-Bruce Allen run organization now.

And as for why the Skins would be bidding against themselves?

Probably to insure that no one can (or is willing) to beat their offer.

And also take this into account: The Skins have had 18 draft picks over the past two drafts...so giving up some picks won't kill them.

Plus, they have almost 50m to spend on free agents.

>>

I am the most gregarious guy you would ever want to meet. People who know me will tell you that I never met a stranger. But this is football dude. The Browns suck the pork plank and they aren't getting any better.

The team needs to be gutted because our players have a losing mentality. I would fire the entire crew and start over. Seriously, that is the only chance this squad has. The players are all shit.

RandyQuaidXOut-150x150.jpg

Archived