THE BROWNS BOARD

Expansion possible

The Gipper

I understand that the Commissioner of Baseball addressed the possibility that a couple of teams could move.....and that the league could expand by a couple of teams.

I do think that bringing the league to 32 teams could be appropriate. That is the same number as NFL teams.

The teams that are in danger of being moved are the Tampa Bay Rays and the Oakland A's. Their stadiums are just crap and those cities need a rebuild....or MLB will allow another city to steal their team.

Also, he said that the following cities could be in line for an expansion team (or as a possible site for the move of the Rays/As):

Montreal

Charlotte

San Antonio

Portland

Las Vegas

Oklahoma City

Mexico City

From a pure numbers point of view, Mexico City and Montreal could make sense.....they are the largest urban areas in North America with no baseball team. Mexico, I believe would go crazy to have a team there. If not Mexico City, then Monterrey, which is like 2d or third largest urban area in Mexico...and much closer to the US border.

In the USA, San Antonio/Austin area is the largest urban area with no baseball team.

Portland and Las Vegas would be next, though Charlotte could make some sense as well from a geographic point of view.

What would you do? Move TB and/or OAK? Expand....to which cities?

I'd say move TB and Oak to wherever they want to move, and realign the entire sport.

Keep the 6 divisions with 5 teams each. Have the 6 division winners and 4 wildcard teams make the playoffs.

Get rid of the seperate rules for American and National leages and everyone play under 1 set of rules.

Keep the DH or get rid of it, but do one or the other, not both

• 2 weeks later...

I worry about the Tribe moving in all honesty.

Jacobs awoke the "sleeping giant" with some crafty signings of young talent (Alomar, Belle, Baerga, Ramirez, Thome, Vizquel). They also added some quality veterans and the town was crazy about baseball again, 400+ sellouts in a row.

Jacobs sells the team, and I think it was a year or two ago when Dolan (or somebody, maybe DiBiasio) said "in this market, if we can contend once every five years, that's about all we can expect." YIKES! With that kind of attitude, he needs to sell- but perhaps he's thinking of cashing in on a move (hope not).

I've been a huge Tribe fan my whole life, and this is the most boring team they've ever had. Yes, there were some really awful teams in the 70s and 90s, but at least they had a few players who could get you excited like Boog Powell, Buddy Bell, Andre Thornton. This team can't score a run with guys on 2nd & 3rd with nobody out, it's horrible. Last night I finally turned off the radio in the 4th inning, couldn't take it anymore.

I feel like ownership has given up. I understand the need for a salary cap in baseball, but these excuses from Dolan, Shipiro, DiBiasio are getting old. How can you go into a season without a right handed bat (or two) in the middle of the lineup?

We have Brantley & Kipnis, and some pitching. Lindor looks promising. It's hard for me to get excited about Murphy and Bourn.A waste of a real nice pitching staff is all this is.Swept by Chicago, scoring 5 runs in 4 games, awful.

Where would they move to that had a better market? Mexico City?

I don't know, but if he keeps up the cheapskate routine we'll find out. Remember, Steve O'Niel 9I think that was the owner before Jacobs) was looking at Tampa/St. Pete as an escape.

The Browns are the only team around here that can draw and put a lousy product out there. We love our football.

I don't know, but if he keeps up the cheapskate routine we'll find out. Remember, Steve O'Niel 9I think that was the owner before Jacobs) was looking at Tampa/St. Pete as an escape.

The Browns are the only team around here that can draw and put a lousy product out there. We love our football.

There are only 2 teams in MLB that can draw fans with a losing team.. Cubs and Red Sox..........That's it

The Dolan's have said they will spend money when they win, but in MLB you have to spend money BEFORE you win.

We need owners with deeper pockets then the Dolan's

And they need better front office guys.

MIchael Bourne and Nick Swisher have been HUGE BUSTSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Agree that this is perhaps the boringest Indians team ever that I recall. Its not just losing....they give nothing to be excited about. Yes, they have spent money on busts like Swisher etc.

I am also disappointed in the managing by Terry Francona. I thought he could get more out of less, but he is just getting less out of less. Not his fault true. Some bad luck.....mostly just mediocre or below talent, except for a few.

But no, they are not going to move. (though fresh ownership would be nice).

Archived