THE BROWNS BOARD

FIFA officials arrested in 'dawn raid' over FBI corruption investigation

gftChris

The question came to my mind as to why it is the USA that would be leading this investigation and doing the prosecuting, but then it was explained that the payoff/bribery money was laundered through US banks....thus giving the US jurisdiction over the major criminal issues.

The swiss attorney general has now opened proceedings relating to the award of the 2018 and 2022 world cups, to Russia and Qatar respectively. If there are kickbacks to be found, they'll be in those two processes, I'm guessing. I mean come on, Qatar? With 2m people, a dry state (so pissing off the WC's bigger sponsors like Budweiser), slave labour being used, awful human rights record, now being switched to winter instead of summer, despite ruling that out in the bidding process - this is the place we want to shine a light on and say is a bastion of international soccer?

The less said about Russia, the better.

The swiss attorney general has now opened proceedings relating to the award of the 2018 and 2022 world cups, to Russia and Qatar respectively. If there are kickbacks to be found, they'll be in those two processes, I'm guessing. I mean come on, Qatar? With 2m people, a dry state (so pissing off the WC's bigger sponsors like Budweiser), slave labour being used, awful human rights record, now being switched to winter instead of summer, despite ruling that out in the bidding process - this is the place we want to shine a light on and say is a bastion of international soccer?

The less said about Russia, the better.

I suspect bribery and money committed was a main issue on why those places got the WC....but I also think FIFA wanted to be "inclusive"....to other parts of the world.

In the past the WCs have been held in Europe 11 times, South America 5 times, N. America 3 times (twice Mexico, 1 time US), Asia (S. Korea) once, (South) Africa once.

Never in the middle east.....never in Russia (or any former Soviet state).

I can understand that. But they should be able to do the process without bribery.

They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.

The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.

They also turned down bids from Australia and other places that haven't had it before. I think a wc down under would be amazing. Now you have Qatar where it's no booze, no gays, no kissing, definitely no gays kissing, slave Labour, intense heat and all the other shut things going on in that place.

The wc was on a rotation - Europe, elsewhere, repeat. Now I think it is changing to Europe, elsewhere, elsewhere, repeat, so 2026 should be somewhere outside Europe again.

Do you/they consider Russia "Europe"?

Corruption in a sports organization, I'm shocked ;)

Let's not make Qatar out to be Iran. Qatar has the highest GDP per capita and 14% of their population are millionaires.

Of course they are the richest country.

They hate EVERY person, unless they are male and rich

Something I neglected to add - the elections for FIFA presidency are happening today, now. There were calls for it to be postponed until this was all resolved, but no. There were calls for Blatter (incumbent) to resign, as any disgraced leader would, be it politics or business or whatever, but no.

Something I neglected to add - the elections for FIFA presidency are happening today, now. There were calls for it to be postponed until this was all resolved, but no. There were calls for Blatter (incumbent) to resign, as any disgraced leader would, be it politics or business or whatever, but no.

I hear he got re-elected. Fox watching the henhouse.

I believe he needed 2/3s in the first round but fell considerably short. To save face he withdrew, not uncommon I guess.

yeah pretty much. The election goes something like:

First round - if anyone gets a 2/3 majority they win, stop. Otherwise, eliminate candidates who got under x% of the vote (don't remember how much) and proceed to round 2.

Second round - if any of the remaining candidates get more than 50%, they win, stop. Otherwise, rinse and repeat by removing the lowest scoring candidate until someone gets a majority.

And this just in, South Africa made a $10m definitely-not-a-bribe-but-just-to-say-thanks-ahead-of-time payment to FIFA, to host the world cup in 2010, which in a completely unrelated turn of events was redistributed to the association of the head of the central america association, who then in an unforeseeable turn of events managed to convince all the members in his jurisdiction to vote for south africa.

Seems legit.

I know it probably doesn't get so much traction over there, but the world of soccer is currently thanking the FBI very, very much for having the balls to do what everyone else should have done a long time ago.

How Blatter has the front to not only not resign, but to again stand up and want to be re-elected is beyond me.

FIFA are a disgrace and the WC in Qatar the poster boy for it.

And this just in, South Africa made a $10m definitely-not-a-bribe-but-just-to-say-thanks-ahead-of-time payment to FIFA, to host the world cup in 2010, which in a completely unrelated turn of events was redistributed to the association of the head of the central america association, who then in an unforeseeable turn of events managed to convince all the members in his jurisdiction to vote for south africa.

Seems legit.

You say that money was paid to FIFA....but what I understand is that the payments in question went directly to the Administrators to the tune of millions of dollars.

I know it probably doesn't get so much traction over there, but the world of soccer is currently thanking the FBI very, very much for having the balls to do what everyone else should have done a long time ago.

The World of soccer may be giving thanks....but not the soccer world. If they did then Blatter would be aufed.

But....I hear that he may not be out of the woods yet in terms of indictment.

Though this very much has a Jimmy Haslam like ring to it, no? The underlings fall on their swords, the top guy gets to stay.

You say that money was paid to FIFA....but what I understand is that the payments in question went directly to the Administrators to the tune of millions of dollars.

The money was withheld from a payment by FIFA to the SA FA. That money was then re-distributed, at the request of the SA FA to Jack Warner and concacaf.

Sepp Blatter, president for the last ~20 years and main 'Jimmy Haslam clone' at FIFA is resigning. I know most of you don't know how amazing this news is, but everybody I know is so, so happy with this.

Sepp Blatter, president for the last ~20 years and main 'Jimmy Haslam clone' at FIFA is resigning. I know most of you don't know how amazing this news is, but everybody I know is so, so happy with this.

So, you say Blatter is stepping down?

Who is going to replace him? Ali Haji Sheikh? (Ask Woody why that would make him happy).

Archived