THE BROWNS BOARD

HAPPY BROWNS DAY

ATENEARS

In just a couple hours we will be trucking the short mile and a half from my driveway to the Cleveland Browns Training facility in beautiful Berea Ohio.

Later in the day we will have a full report, along with pictures and video of how the team looks on Day #1. In years past these reports have proved to be a staple to how camp went down for some individual players and/or how the team finished the sason. Some miscues (Corey Bridges), but many straight reporting that nailed an insight of the Browns long before the media.

Raise a glass today as this is the start of the Browns Football season!

Happy Browns Day!

Stan.....give a report on Jake. Not just how he played but how does the guy look.

Some feel he has hit the wall. Does he look fit, excited..those sort of things.

I find it hard to believe the guy is done at 35.

In just a couple hours we will be trucking the short mile and a half from my driveway to the Cleveland Browns Training facility in beautiful Berea Ohio.

Later in the day we will have a full report, along with pictures and video of how the team looks on Day #1. In years past these reports have proved to be a staple to how camp went down for some individual players and/or how the team finished the sason. Some miscues (Corey Bridges), but many straight reporting that nailed an insight of the Browns long before the media.

Happy Browns Day!

222.gif

Happy Browns Day!

I am so pumped!

Training camp is the start of season full of hard hits and hope.

And Skippy takes off his Little League cap and his foo foo drink to deliver the best trainng camp reports on the internet.

Let's kick this bitch off!

Zombo

Yes, this is a glorious day. We've all been waiting very long for some real stories and info about the team.

I hope you get some info on Carlton Mitchell. I really look forward to hearing about his progress and how he does. I am a USF Alum, but also a Browns fan my whole life. I'm always glad to see guys from my school get picked up by my favorite team! First it was Anthony Henry and now Carlton!

I took a lot of pictures and shot some video. Here is the first of the video I'm uploading. The third duo to go at it is LB D'Qwell Jackson who runs over RB Peyton Hillis to the delight of the other Defensive Players who celebrate the hit.

Don't throw D'Qwell out with the bath water just yet ... and It don't appear that Vickers is in any jeopardy of losing his dominating blocking scheme playing time any time soon.

I took a lot of pictures and shot some video. Here is the first of the video I'm uploading. The third duo to go at it is LB D'Qwell Jackson who runs over RB Peyton Hillis to the delight of the other Defensive Players who celebrate the hit.

Don't throw D'Qwell out with the bath water just yet ... and It don't appear that Vickers is in any jeopardy of losing his dominating blocking scheme playing time any time soon.

Cheers Stan,

Looking forward to seeing more clips from your Frozen drink fueled Training Camp outings.

RB, Chris Jennings got abused in some of the blocking drills I provided video of in the previous post. I meam he flat out whiffed consecutive times, and the crowd got on him.

Great crowd today, as either the Browns were limited how many were permitted through the gate, or the masses came out to Berea on a mild weather day. There was a line down Beech street of people waiting to still get in halfway through the early morning session.

I bought me a new t-shirt from T-shirt Dawg, who had his shirts on display in the smae spot as usual (very near the back gate enterance). This shirt reads (on the front): 'Make the World a Better place' (has a pitcure of a globe) ... and on the back it reads, 'Punch a Steeler fan in the face' (with picture of a fist). Sold by www.steelerhaters.com

... more in a bit

In this video, as you will see, I had a pretty good seat for the receivers coming right in my face on down-n-out patterns. The video is of Brian Robiskie & Josh Cribbs catching balls up close.

Actually, I jumped over the guard rail and covered these two clowns, I may be 43 yrs old, but afterwards they both told me in so many words that they feared me.

Thanks Ate, love the videos. Looking at the QB in the first and third throws and both were #17, and both badly underthrown. The second throw was from #6. Its only 3 balls but I'm reading elsewhere that Wallace has the strongest arm in camp.

Thanks Ate, love the videos. Looking at the QB in the first and third throws and both were #17, and both badly underthrown. The second throw was from #6. Its only 3 balls but I'm reading elsewhere that Wallace has the strongest arm in camp.

Agreed. Some of those throws were just plain bad. It is early, but who knows...

It's still too early to tell.

At this point, the QB is still trying to learn his WRs. Does he take wider cuts on outs or on ins? Does he come back to the ball or sit on it and wiat (like Braylon), that sort of thing. Under and overthrown balls the first week of camp don't worry me. Now, if we see those against GB in the preseason, well then, pick up Hardesty and Harrison on your fantasy teams!

man I must have been standing right next to you judging by that angle...I'm a younger guy, brown josh cribbs jersey, sunglasses, and a white hat...but with so many people you probably wouldn't notice lol. Watching DQ run Hillis over really got the crowd fired up...that was a fun drill to watch, thanks for the video

I was a bit surprised to see the players in full pads already this morning. One thing that I like about attending the Browns camps is seeing how each different coach runs a different camp. Ironically, I still think Chris Palmer's first year in 1999 was among the top camps, then in 200o it was as if Carmen Policy or someone cut his balls off as the second camp lacked everything the first one did.

Thanks%20for%20Support%201200.jpg

Todays camp got started quick, no long gravy train stretching sessions where fat ass D-linemen rolled around on the ground and thought they were comedians. We got right to it today, running full balst at one another in gauging the speed of the game even if the pads weren't cracking all that hard.

It's always a fine line. You have the boys come out hitting and you get grilled for it when the injuries start to mount. You go soft at camp and still get grilled when the injuries mount. In that regard, I like Mangini's camp today getting into the tempo of the speed of the game right from the bat.

I thought the QBs threw a bit too much today, they can't possibly keep that up and make it through the entire camp. I was not very pleased with any one QB. Sure, Wallace looked probably the best, but that isn't anything to run to the nearest local paper and declare him "pushing Delhomme". I can't stand when these QB's look as if they had just come off 6-weeks of being honed by some QB coach who desires them to over emphasize keeping the nose down on the ball. I thought all QB's appeared to be trying to throw of a certain style instead of just letting the ball boom from their hand.

D%20line2%201200.jpg

The Defense looked to be working real hard, although were mostly on the far field from where I was at. I was a bit disappointed in Carlton Mitchells work ethic. Don't get me wrong, the kid is one of my early favorites, but he's not working as hard as he could be. You can tell the cats who want it, Cribbs, Robiskie, Wallace, D'Qwell, but there wasn't enough 'wanting it' and I left camp a bit concerned. I've coached for years, I know when I see someone who is hungry or not ... If Carlton wanted it, he could grab this team/league for all it's riches.

mitchell%201200.jpg

Carlton Mitchell has a nice NFL body, his arms and upper body are still rookish, but I thought his trunk and legs looked the part. He looks every bit of 6'3" and could add to the 215 frame.

I watched Cribbs a lot and was very surprised to see him getting so many reps with the WR's as if he was an all-around full blown receiver in this league. He still has those mechanical hips, but Good Gawd, he's a load coming at ya on a catch. He still made enough lazy cuts, and dropped one ball off his hands to give you the feel that he once again won't take the league by storm from the WR position, we are still gonna need some gimmicks to get him the rock with open day light ahead. (see picture of drop)

cribbs%20drop%201200.jpg

IN a far drill, I know there was no head-on tackling, but an 11-on-11 drill had the running backs shooting out of the backside of the D-line a bit too easy and too abundance. Each year I attend camp hoping we can stop the run ... I'm concerned a little more than usual, although Rogers was out and on the exercise bike.

exercise%20bike%201200.jpg

I thought Jake Delhomme had some nice throws and some lame throws, some decent timing and some porr timing ... He was ... (some of you may want to click-off without reading further) ... Delhomme was a bit Derek Anderson like today, without the cannon throws.

Delhomme%201200.jpg

On one play I saw Bobby Engram get a slim step across the middle on a defender and Delhomme put the ball right on the money, but Engram dropped it as we've seen all too many times.

I eported earlier that Chris Jennings was whiffing on the blocking drills, however there is still some hope with the kid, he was gunning pretty good on kick and punt coverage, so there is always that special teams option.

holmgren%201200.jpg

Holmgren observed camp from a golf cart with his right leg propped on the dash of the cart, wrapped in bright orange fiberglass cast. He didn't move around much or do much observing. Mangini floated around on the far field and seemed to favor the defense side during drills.

mangini%201200.jpg

To view all Photo's and a few more in a very large size, go to this page we set up to store all pictures

.... maybe more tomorrow at the 1:00-3:00pm session.

Stan, do u notice any differences from last year, I lknow its so early

Only thing that I could say that I notice is that we seem to be trying to get up to speed with the speed of the game a lot sooner. Having pads on and hitting already is impressive, although like I said earlier, if injuries start to mount than Mangini will be dragged through the coals. I prefer it this way, hitting and playing football at the speed it should be played.

I was a bit disappointed in that more players didn't seem to have an urgency to their play. I like up-tempo guys who are looking to really push themselves in the drills. A couple of years ago, Jamal Lewis fit this bill. He played every down in every practice with a sense of urgency and as hard as he could. That season panned out with a 1300 yard performance from him. Last year I didn't see that from him and he's now been shipped to the glue factory.

It was only one session of a two-a-day, I'm going to try to get back there tomorrow afternoon as another gage.

Here is a pretty decent length clip of RB & FB's taking on LB's in a blitz drill. Get your roster sheet ready to track who is going up against who, and keep in mind that I believe at different times, backs or TE's are working on chipping or releasing off the line as well, so not all are blown pickups.

In the second duo to go #47 Lawrence Vickers shows (Hillis) how its done and destroys any attemp of #51 Chris Gocong from getting anywhere near our invisible QB.

Archived