THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon

Zombo

Many teams trying to trade for him ... we're not giving him up.

Which is the right thing to do.

Because he has the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL. Again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/multiple-teams-reportedly-inquired-about-josh-gordon-trade-browns-not-interested/

He's 25, 6'3, 225lb, runs like like the wind, catches everything and led the entire NFL in receiving in 14 games games with three different mediocre QBS tossing it up ... analytics say ...KEEP PLAYMAKERS!

Zombo

He's 25, 6'3, 225lb, runs like like the wind, catches everything and led the entire NFL in receiving in 14 games games with three different mediocre QBS tossing it up ... analytics say ...KEEP PLAYMAKERS!

Zombo

Particularly those with two years left on a second round rookie's contract.

If we keep him and he balls out and remains a Brown for the rest of his career we're geniuses, just like if we 'Trent Richardson to the Colts' his ass and then he smokes a bowl load to celebrate and never plays again....... Reverse those two outcomes however, and we're "The same old Browns".

It's about freakin' time that we make the correct decision and get a little lucky too (see the above Trent Richardson reference). Today, I'm on board with keeping him as well.

You can't trade a guy like that because his potential is virtually unknown. He had that great season playing with a subpar QB, and god only knows what the guy could do playing in Green Bay or New England. Just watching him do individual drills provides a glimpse into his surreal abilities. Things look easy for him. He glides instead of runs. He even catches the ball with ease, and displays unusual speed in the open field.

But he's not without his down side. Can you imagine the pressure that he's under? Just one mess up, and BOOM. One missed test, one drink, one puff away from banishment. Lord...that's pretty heavy when you're basically a kid. Did any of you guys on this board abstain from EVERYTHING in your early 20's? Of course, I doubt we were trying to play in the NFL in our youth, but still.

You can't trade a guy like that because his potential is virtually unknown. He had that great season playing with a subpar QB, and god only knows what the guy could do playing in Green Bay or New England. Just watching him do individual drills provides a glimpse into his surreal abilities. Things look easy for him. He glides instead of runs. He even catches the ball with ease, and displays unusual speed in the open field.

But he's not without his down side. Can you imagine the pressure that he's under? Just one mess up, and BOOM. One missed test, one drink, one puff away from banishment. Lord...that's pretty heavy when you're basically a kid. Did any of you guys on this board abstain from EVERYTHING in your early 20's? Of course, I doubt we were trying to play in the NFL in our youth, but still.

Point to consider would be the complexity of GB and NE offenses. You don't just walk in and dominate unless you're Randy Moss. It's highly possible Josh wouldn't see any success in those systems due to the fact he's never had to

embrace an overly taxing playbook. Things under Chud were a little more cut and cry (in terms of routes)

Point to consider would be the complexity of GB and NE offenses. You don't just walk in and dominate unless you're Randy Moss. It's highly possible Josh wouldn't see any success in those systems due to the fact he's never had to

embrace an overly taxing playbook. Things under Chud were a little more cut and cry (in terms of routes)

I've seen Randy in his new TV gig a couple times... pretty good stuff.

The time to trade Josh Gordon was two positive tests ago. At this point getting at most a 5th round pick for him isn't worth the possible reward of having his talent for two more years. I was in the boat of trading him a while ago, so hopefully my opinion turns out to be wrong.

Many teams trying to trade for him ... we're not giving him up.

Which is the right thing to do.

Because he has the potential to be the best receiver in the NFL. Again.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/multiple-teams-reportedly-inquired-about-josh-gordon-trade-browns-not-interested/

No team is going to give up what we'd want. The article said 3rd or 2nd round pick. No thanks.

BUT- if he has negative drug tests for a couple of seasons the slate gets wiped clean. :)

He will test positive again. How many breaks do you give this POS?

One Diehard. You can be damn sure the Browns & Hue told him one more screw up, and it's your last. And FYI, this POS led the league in receiving yards. He'll either go the Chris Carter route, or the Justin Blackmon route- I'm hoping he's finally learned his lesson.

He's under contract until after this season (RFA in spring 2017). Let him prove he's not a f--k up and become a great player for us, then we can 'show him the money' or he can go elsewhere. Either way, having him for his "show-me" season is better than none and the uncertainty of a mid-round draft pick.

And the Browns have more than enough cap space to match any offers he gets as an RFA.

per the sports, Jim Donovan says Gordon is saying he respects the faith the Browns

have in him, and wants to play in Cleveland and make a difference, and start winning.

Could be he actually does have his mind right, especially with RG on board.

Josh Gordon a fantastic ticking time bomb that should be back all ready to shine in about a month and a half. ........we hope.

And hope week to week he shines and doesn't blow up all over again. If you're a gambling coach and FO you go for it, if not cut your losses and get what you can.

Sounds like gambling to me. Personally I'd keep him and have a one way ticket out of Cleveland ready in the coaches' drawer.

Ahhhh, my kind of team.

He's under contract until after this season (RFA in spring 2017).

I thought he was ours through 2017 as he also lost credit for 2014 due to his season ending, team suspension...

Was that overturned?

If he balls out this year, given all the other receivers, contract negotiations could get pretty dang tricky.

Not exactly. Gordon plays to his Pro Bowl level year- the Browns will certainly try to work out a contract (with a lot of conditions on it) well before he hits RFA. If not- they'd certainly slap the first round tender on him for a year. The Browns would still have the option of putting the franchise tag on him for an additional year- (around $15 million) and then try to work out a long term deal. The only issue would be if another team offered Josh the moon and a long term contract (they'd be crazy to) AND be willing to sacrifice a first round pick on top of that- well, we cross that bridge when we get there.

As was said, the Browns have the cap room (second most in the NFL) - and to the boogers saying we should cut Gordon- he's scheduled to make around $850k this year (peanuts with a capital P), about what we're paying Marlon Moore and Tank Carder. I call that a damn high reward risk ratio.

As far as I am concerned, any losses with Josh happened a year or two ago. There is no getting those losses back. All we can do at this point is trade away a player who could be one of the very best at his position in the game.

How does that make any sense?

Even Toni freaking Grossi had positive things to say about Browns' receivers, LOL. "Josh Gordon looked tremendous today. He and Pryor excelled."

To say that fans are eager to see Gordon on the field would be the understatement of the decade. After getting a taste of his vast receiving prowess, he's missed about 85% of the next 32 games or so. The fact that Gordon is already looking "tremendous" against other teams is staggering, and God help a defense if they get caught on a blitz with our speedy guys going deep. Pryor and Gordon at receiver with Coleman at the slot is pretty nasty. Of course, this is all THEORY at the moment, because Josh is the only one of the three with real experience and proof of talent (in the NFL).

We aren't trading him, I promise. Hue Jackson is an offensive guy, and there's no way he would want him gone. Of course, Hue doesn't have control of the roster, but I imagine the powers that be would listen to him about this.

I thought he was ours through 2017 as he also lost credit for 2014 due to his season ending, team suspension...

Was that overturned?

He would have been a UFA after 2016-17 if he had won his appeal. He should have been a UFA last year had he not lost two seasons of accrued time due to suspensions. He was suspended for 11/16 of games in 2014, so that year didn't count. He was appealing the Week 17 suspension because that game put him over the threshold.

Archived