THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts on the defensive front from tonights game and holy shit Nassib looks legit..

Clevfan4life

have to admit I was kind of like whhaaaa? with the nassib pick. Frankly I don't see why he couldn't take reps at the strong side olb'er spot if needed. He looks fast. In another year or so he'll be just as strong as Kruger and maybe even a bit faster so who knows.

Ogbah looks slow and non explosive. If it roster gets tight i wouldnt' be adverse to cutting him. Kruger and Orchard will be the starters and frankly both looked kind of good tonight. Krugers pass rush was basically as always but I see he's got his bull back and he used it to set some really good edges and came off his block to at least impede the runner a few times. Orchard the same. I think actually Orchard might be the star of our defense this year. We'll see.

LB'ers i didn't get to pay much attention to, only watched the 1st half will see the 2nd tommorrow. But didn't see much that impressed me. On the play that Kruger tripped up the runner 7 yds behind the los you'd think he would have only made it another couple feet before the pursuit got there...uh nope. He still turned it up for a couple yds. THat's pathetic. So i'm seeing some better play, at least right now, out of our edges but our ilb'ers are still utterly awful. I hope seeing the 2nd half tommorrow i get to see some upfield flashing from Scoobs.

Secondary...omg Gilbert. Holy fuck i'm not even going to talk about our secondary. How the fuck can we still not tackle? Year after year after year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see Nassib against a team's #1's.

Our DL is playing like a bunch of backups......because that's mainly what they are.

Gilbert tackles like he's a place kicker.

....our D is just plain sad.

Ogbah looks slow and non explosive. If it roster gets tight i wouldnt' be adverse to cutting him

Cut the 32nd player picked? Uh, no.

I wonder what the draft pick #would be if calculated by some numbers guy....... Like 12 picks in a year / how many years, what would be the common denominator or whatever it'd be called that #28th pick is the browns?

I mean is there really value in trading down and drafting 2nd and 3rd stringers to be sideline cannon fodder vs. keeping the pick and drafting in the top 5 which we could have done for the past gazzillion years?

Our DL is playing like a bunch of backups......because that's mainly what they are.

agreed- second game in a row Nassib had a big play, other than that, the defense sucked. Couldn't tackle, couldn't get any pressure on the quarterback- and the run defense was unwatchable.

Cut the 32nd player picked? Uh, no.

Exactly. He had one sub par game.

Please stop insulting place kickers! LOL

Gilbert is a farce.

Mike

I wouldn't be against cutting the 8th player picked...Bustin Gilbert.

Now that I can get on board with. (our flabby NT better start playing like a high 1st round pick too, or he's gonna be put in sentences like this next year)

Now that I can get on board with. (our flabby NT better start playing like a high 1st round pick too, or he's gonna be put in sentences like this next year)

He had a lot more weight to push around last year so he could hold a spot without really doing much else. This year he lost it all too quickly without replacing it with a lot more muscle. End result? You can see it. Now he can't hold a spot either. I feel pretty much the same way about Erving. We drafted two tubs, not strong athletic linemen.

2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team

2012 - #22 - cut

2013 - #6 - will be cut

2014 - #8 - could be cut

2014 - #22 - cut

2015 - #12 done nothing of note

2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement

7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.

2012 - #3 - traded for a first, somehow, without a team

2012 - #22 - cut

2013 - #6 - will be cut

2014 - #8 - could be cut

2014 - #22 - cut

2015 - #12 done nothing of note

2015 - #19 'done nothing of note' would be an improvement

7 first round picks from three regimes and none have looked even close to pro-bowl level. That's some bad luck.

Pro Bowl level? I wish one of them could have at least become a decent/solid starter. Maybe some hope still for Shelton/Erving, but they are right now deer in the headlight players.

Pro Bowl level? I wish one of them could have at least become a decent/solid starter. Maybe some hope still for Shelton/Erving, but they are right now deer in the headlight players.

Sure but for a first round pick you want higher expectations.

Ogbah doesn't appear to me to be "explosive", but I have definitely seen some "straight line" speed. I know that might sound silly, but that's what my eyes tell me. I have high hopes for him though.

The Nassib strip-sack was great, but it was similar to Meder's safety. It was a protection breakdown that resulted in a nice play, but it wasn't like Nassib did a bunch. Still...he displayed unusual speed for a man his size and not only got the ball out, but recovered it. Very nice indeed. I did not get a chance to see his sack that was called back due to Gilbert's penalty. Hopefully he beat his man and showed something there.

Danny Shelton had a nice play or two, but somebody who knows more about DT's will have to evaluate his play.

Tackling is definitely an issue, and this scares me. That being said, it's the friggin' preseason, and it's not like teams can practice tackling all that much. Hopefully we get better there.

Former #8 and #6 players overall could be cut though.

True, but they both got more than 2 pre-season games...........

Justin Gilbert & Manziel were two picks that should have been Kalhil Mack & anyone but Manziel. Farmer gave us the rebuild that set us back a decade.

Gilbert better do something this year besides punt returns.

RG3 and Pryor might work some magic but we need an Oline if theyre going to stay healthy

Justin Gilbert & Manziel were two picks that should have been Kalhil Mack & anyone but Manziel. Farmer gave us the rebuild that set us back a decade.

Gilbert better do something this year besides punt returns.

RG3 and Pryor might work some magic but we need an Oline if theyre going to stay healthy

Or, at least Sammy Watkins if not Khalil.

Only viewed the 1st half so far...

With the exception of Nassib our DL seemed to be "catching"... almost so uniform I wonder if it's being coached. With his exception I don't see any explosion into the blockers.

With the exception of Nassib I do not see a pass rusher capable of beating pass pro 1-on-1.

Now before I seem too fanboyish I have to say that Nassib is currently:

• a liability vs. the run. Saw him handled by a big TE. Mostly he is picking a side against the run... the penetration looks good, but so far he hasn't guessed correctly.
  • limited to a edge rush vs. the pass. Going to need that secondary move there. When packaged into the interior he was not effective.

But oh how I love his motor... Highest revving I've seen since Billy's rookie year.

As for the rest of the D...

• Loved seeing the line stunts in the pass rush... even freed Danny late in the half... unfortunately he only succeeded in getting in Nassib's way preventing a potential sack.
  • Discipline wasn't good. DEs bit on boot action every time.
  • Blitzing did not produce much pressure. Kirksey's early free-run was the only lane creation I noted.
  • LBs by and large were unremarkable other than a moment here and there. Only one playing with "game intensity" I saw was Tank who flew around late and appeared to make very fast and correct run reads... wish he could pass defend.
  • DBs? No one rocked anyone... Gilbert is a candidate for the position of WhiffMaster General. And why Taylor was determined to take a tall, lanky WR down high is beyond me... at least he was our best cover man for a couple series. On Positive note there were no blown assignments that I saw and coverage was at least in the area... step or two behind, but in the area.

2nd half later...

And both halves of O in the game thread...

I wonder what the draft pick #would be if calculated by some numbers guy....... Like 12 picks in a year / how many years, what would be the common denominator or whatever it'd be called that #28th pick is the browns?

I mean is there really value in trading down and drafting 2nd and 3rd stringers to be sideline cannon fodder vs. keeping the pick and drafting in the top 5 which we could have done for the past gazzillion years?

Yes.

For a team like the Browns have been, the value is there........if you don't cut the cannon fodder after two years and get a new guy to install new cannon fodder.

Two years ago, the Browns were a team of third stringers with one or two mid level talent players and two or three backup level players.

Now, this is a team of backups with one or two star potential players and two or three mid-level talent players.

Add a couple high draft picks next year and one or two FA acquisitions and now it's a team of mid level starters with maybe one elite level player, and two or three stars.

For the love of God...just don't hit the reset button again.

"I'm a Nassib potential guy. He checks every box in terms of off-field intangibles, and I really like that he added basically 75 pounds to his frame so that he could play DE. He's a guy that I think could come in and compete immediately and blossom into an above average professional player for an extended period of time. To me, he just seems like one of those draft finds that teams like the Patriots or Steelers of late would grab. "

I don't like to toot my own horn, but toot toot.

I love that Nassib is playing well right now. I hope he carries it on through the regular season.

we won't see what Nassib's capable of for a couple years. This isn't a cut on Nassib he's a rook, but i'm seeing the same thing i saw in his tape from penn....if he guess's right and cuts hard into a gap he's tough. But he can't fight off OL yet. This was one of the main reason's i didn't put him in Bosa's league. He doesn't hand fight well unless he's pass rushing around the edge. In run defense he lets guys get in on him way too much. And that's fine like I said he's a rookie. My concern isn't necessarily with him it's with the Browns lack of a track record developing players. Look from what i've seen Nassib is one "hell" of a raw talent. He definitely looks like he at least belongs on an NFL field. But the Browns have to make him ply his trade. He gets stronger and learns how to leverage guys around with his hands......we could have something special. The kid already has the motor and twitch off the line. I dont think there's any reason why he couldn't play Krugers position either. From what i've seen Ogbah should be steered more towards the 3-4 DE spot while Nassib should move around.

we won't see what Nassib's capable of for a couple years. This isn't a cut on Nassib he's a rook, but i'm seeing the same thing i saw in his tape from penn....if he guess's right and cuts hard into a gap he's tough. But he can't fight off OL yet. This was one of the main reason's i didn't put him in Bosa's league. He doesn't hand fight well unless he's pass rushing around the edge. In run defense he lets guys get in on him way too much. And that's fine like I said he's a rookie. My concern isn't necessarily with him it's with the Browns lack of a track record developing players. Look from what i've seen Nassib is one "hell" of a raw talent. He definitely looks like he at least belongs on an NFL field. But the Browns have to make him ply his trade. He gets stronger and learns how to leverage guys around with his hands......we could have something special. The kid already has the motor and twitch off the line. I dont think there's any reason why he couldn't play Krugers position either. From what i've seen Ogbah should be steered more towards the 3-4 DE spot while Nassib should move around.

He's far surpassed Bosa's league.

He signed his contract and has played NFL football.

Please stop insulting place kickers! LOL

Gilbert is a farce.

Mike

Yes, my apologies to Lou Groza, Lou Michaels and all of the 'real' football players who also kicked.

-------------------

As far as Nassib goes....he looks ALL WORLD when nobody blocks him. Sounds like a sarcastic knock on him but it's not. Some guys get left unblocked and they don't do anything noteworthy. :) But he does look rather ordinary when they block him. - I'm pulling for him. He DID knock down a pass while being blocked soundly.

Archived