THE BROWNS BOARD

Falcons Game Thread

Zombo

So, basically did zero for 6 straight years, then blew up last season.....poof!....(Thank Mike Pettine, he did the same with Kruger in 2014)

Pettine? He couldn't even figure out how to run a defense (his supposed specialty). Thank Flip. He came in for one year and ignited Barnidge.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went back to the well and finished the game... too bad the Browns did not...

Misc. thoughts since I stopped writing things down...

D:

• Nassib is not ready for 3-down duty... not even close. Takes the edge off his burst vs. pass and gets handled even by back-ups vs run. Someday story should be different, I'd bet on it, but someday will not be in 2016.
  • A. Bryant made my cut list. Seem determined to turn his soldiers perpendicular to the LOS and was eaten alive every time. He made Nassib look great by contrast.
  • How can Mingo be our best cover LB yet show such terrible body control vs. the run? His time at ILB was actually laughable including a 3rd string SS, Baker, having to line him up properly on a couple occasions. Not sure he knows what "a key" is...
  • Schobert seems to be studying Krug's tape intently. He cannot shed a block, but he can neutralize most blockers.
  • Looking back over my notes from earlier in the half (before the breaking news) "WFF" appears the most used... most of the time followed by a DBs name.

O:

• Shon Coleman earned his first "-" when he was walked back into McC's lap on the sideline pass to Payton. Saw a couple other plays when he had issues anchoring as well. Speed rushes? No problem... at least those offered by a 2nd string Falcon.
  • Back up OGs K. Johnson and Tucker look expendably sluggish plus the former ducks his head in anticipation of contact which often does not come due a case of the whiffs.
  • Other positions are doing the head duck as well... blocking 101 is same as tackling 101... see what you hit. Coaches? Lil' help?
  • With the back-ups gone, Drango to OG would seem in order. Shows definite roadgrader potential and while decent in PassPro he's susceptible to being beat by speed. Inside should fit his skillset better, but could fill a swingman role in a pinch.
  • Saw a TE block and his name was Telfer... I have to try hard to remember it's not "Tefler".
  • Gerhart and Mathews were the least of our OL problems in 2nd half. The former played reasonably well after his sack allowing whiff early.

• Nassib is not ready for 3-down duty... not even close. Takes the edge off his burst vs. pass and gets handled even by back-ups vs run. Someday story should be different, I'd bet on it, but someday will not be in 2016.

That's pretty much what I've seen.

He's GREAT if nobody blocks him.

Still, I like him.

Went back to the well and finished the game... too bad the Browns did not...

Misc. thoughts since I stopped writing things down...

D:

• A. Bryant made my cut list. Seem determined to turn his soldiers perpendicular to the LOS and was eaten alive every time. He made Nassib look great by contrast.
  • How can Mingo be our best cover LB yet show such terrible body control vs. the run? His time at ILB was actually laughable including a 3rd string SS, Baker, having to line him up properly on a couple occasions. Not sure he knows what "a key" is...
  • Schobert seems to be studying Krug's tape intently. He cannot shed a block, but he can neutralize most blockers.

Yep....my take on Nassib too.....yes, 2 sacks.....buts thats it....but folks do tend to love the glory stat and ignore the other 52 plays that happen in a game.....

A Bryant.....so is he a DE or an OLB this year.....inquiring minds need to know....

Mingo might suck, but he's still better than you know who.....I think people hate Mingo more, simply because he had that high first pick on his head.....so cut him cause he didnt live upto the status or FO attached to him, but keep Kruges, cause hey, we didnt spend a draft pick on him???.....bottom line.....neither one can tackle for crap....but at least mingo can cover and penetrate, while you know who cant....

Schobert?.....has he played yet?.....Ha!

I made a similar comment about Nassib. The Falcons sack wasn't too impressive because nobody blocked him...like at all. BUT...what WAS impressive was Nassib displaying considerable speed, knocking the ball out, and then snatching it. I didn't think we did a great job of stripping the ball last year (when we DID finally get to the QB, lol), so this is a welcomed sight.

Kruger always looked SO SLOW to me. Perhaps if we get somebody opposite of him that can actually get to the QB with speed and regularity, Kruger can become serviceable again.

Would love to see Mingo play tomorrow and make some plays. He's in very real danger of being cut.

Can we run the ball with our starting team? I'm not so sure the Bucs will be able to stack the box tomorrow, and while it's going to be a vanilla preseason defense, we still need to run the ball when we can to set up the scoring strikes. RG III with a running game is probably a nightmare to play against. RG III down two scores and passing every down? Not so much.

How about an executed screen pass? It's only been 19 years since we had a good one. (conversely, our defense gets their asses blown apart by screens. Annoying. I distinctly remember our previous Ray Horton defense getting obliterated with screen plays because we blitzed EVERY DAMN 3RD DOWN)

Joe Haden appears to be playing well now back from injury. So much will depend on this one player. I hate to put all the pressure on him, but defensive stars are a rarity for this roster, and we need the ones we have to step up. In fact, he's probably our only one.

Not sure you can anchor a D with a CB...

For any and all... the question below was a serious one...

• How can Mingo be our best cover LB yet show such terrible body control vs. the run?

A Mingo cut may send a message. Especially in light of the price tag it'd carry. But barring a miracle Friday night I just do not see him occupying a spot that a player who might actually develop could otherwise have.

say........ I have a lightbulb going blinkie-blinkie.. ! Pryor became a wr, why not MINGO?

Groom him to follow in Pryor's footsteps. Mingo has the speed, the height....

How cool would that be ?! :D

say........ I have a lightbulb going blinkie-blinkie.. ! Pryor became a wr, why not MINGO?

Groom him to follow in Pryor's footsteps. Mingo has the speed, the height....

How cool would that be ?! :D

Gilbert is a more likely candidate IMO.

If Mingo can cover and penetrate, he should be our nickel hybrid LB-S who never leaves the field. Why not, he's already better than Gaines at whiffing covering

That's what I've been saying about mingo for a year or more now. Soooo many TEs coming out that are the same size as him, and traditional line backers (see: Kruger, Paul) cannot cover them, and DBs can't match up physically. If used right, a player with Mingo's skill set could be a huge asset.

... a player with Mingo's skill set could be a huge asset.

I honestly do not know what is in his tool box besides straight-line speed.

As for LB-S hybrid... prefect timing following his off-season, quest for bulk...

Gilbert is a more likely candidate IMO.

That's what I've been saying about mingo for a year or more now. Soooo many TEs coming out that are the same size as him, and traditional line backers (see: Kruger, Paul) cannot cover them, and DBs can't match up physically. If used right, a player with Mingo's skill set could be a huge asset.

I honestly do not know what is in his tool box besides straight-line speed.

As for LB-S hybrid... prefect timing following his off-season, quest for bulk...

The issue is, Mingo CAN'T cover. Go watch the Atlanta game. He has zero feel for underneath coverage, depth and a QB's eyes. He can track in man a little bit, but if he's on that island too much you'll see teams exploit it time and time again.

As Tour said, Barky has great straight line speed. Ultimately he is an athlete without a position.

The issue is, Mingo CAN'T cover. Go watch the Atlanta game. He has zero feel for underneath coverage, depth and a QB's eyes. He can track in man a little bit, but if he's on that island too much you'll see teams exploit it time and time again.

As Tour said, Barky has great straight line speed. Ultimately he is an athlete without a position.

how much he's a great player in NE?

Right,,,,dont think he was a "good" cover backer.....just the best we had......

So, now, it's Kruger or Orchard.....sadly Kruger cant do it, soooooooooo, Orchard will end up handling those chores instead of rushing the qb.....and Kruger will be the designated pass rusher(again) and will be single teamed and completely shut down, as usual......

A Mingo cut may send a message. Especially in light of the price tag it'd carry. But barring a miracle Friday night I just do not see him occupying a spot that a player who might actually develop could otherwise have.

^^^Not a bad call for 9AM Tour..Ghoolie's always right Who?

Yup, I want to see if Terrell can do more than fly routes. If we ever get Pryor, Coleman, and Gordon out on the field at the same time, it could get interesting.

as long as those fly routes produce touchdowns I don't care if he is a one trick pony. As long as he's a fast as hell one trick pony who can catch.

^^^Not a bad call for 9AM Tour..Ghoolie's always right Who?

lol... "blind hog"... "acorn"... etc.

Wonder if we ate some of his remaining contract in the deal?

Archived