THE BROWNS BOARD

The media hatred of RG3 seems beyond irrational.

SkippinTurtles

RG III is going to have his share of struggles this year, and that's probably ok. Let's be honest, he's not exactly playing for an elite team here (I'm looking at YOU defense). He's probably not going to have the advantage of playing with a defense that forces a ton of three and outs or turnovers. Additionally, he'll probably be playing from behind in most games and won't have the luxury of getting the full use of the running game. This I'd a lot to ask of any qb, especially one who had his confidence rocked and went through a messy team divorce (and subsequent personal divorce)

Do we know that our defense will be this bad? Of course not, but it's safe to say we don't exactly have a bevy of talent. Offensively, we may be a few steps above last season, but that's not a given. Patience will be required. If we're down by two scores and the defense knows we're passing it, RG III will have to trust his reads and make quick decisions. And do so under duress.

We need to look at big picture aspects. Can RG III play well enough the entire season to warrant being the guy next year? In the end, that's what we're looking for. Yes, we're all sick and tired of playing for next year, but we HAVE to stabilize the qb position and by association, the coaching staff. If RG III remains healthy, plays well enough to lock down the job, and helps us win some games, the season will probably be a success based on him alone. Once you have the qb, other pieces can be assembled. Now, what does that type of year look like statistically? I'm guessing at least 20 tds, 3 more on the ground, 12 or so picks, and 5-6 wins. Those numbers obviously won't blow anybody's skirt up, but it would be a nice start.

Defensive talent is an issue... no doubt about it, but in pre-2 I thought Horton showed some imagination... more than I remember in his first stint anyway. DL loops... blitz packages... etc. And those kind of aggressive scheme inclusions can, to an extent, augment the talent he has to work with. The 'Boys' Marinelli has this very reputation.

If there's any truth in what I think I'm seeing, the reason may lay in the personalities of the HCs Ray was under during each stint: Patsy vs. Hue. I've no doubt Patsy was the more conservative of the two... and not by a small amount.

Defensive talent is an issue... no doubt about it, but in pre-2 I thought Horton showed some imagination... more than I remember in his first stint anyway. DL loops... blitz packages... etc. And those kind of aggressive scheme inclusions can, get us burned on third and long(or short)....ha!

If there's any truth in what I think I'm seeing, the reason may lay in the personalities of the HCs Ray was under during each stint: Patsy vs. Hue. I've no doubt Patsy was the more conservative of the two... and not by a small amount.

Does Patsy = Shurmur?.....because Horton was here under Chud....which is interesting because THIS years team reminds me very very very much of Chuds team.....lets have a look, shall we????

Offensive minded head coach?.....check

Player coach?.....check

Players having FUN at practice?.....check....(remember how happy we were about Pettine showing up with some discipline, because practice was supposed to be work???)(and now, AGAIN, we are excited to have A players coach?)(so, which is it, fun or discipline?)

Ray Horton defense?......check

Experienced high end O coordinator?....check

Ballistic receivers?.....check...........(remember, in 2013, Cameron went off and had a Pro bowl year and Josh Gordon had the BEST year ANY receiver has ever had)(mosy passing yds for a Browns team in forever)......and we still sucked, btw.....cause????......(defense)

Aggressive blitzy defense?.....check.....(remember the Pats game(3 or 4 tds in the 4th)....or, ftm, ALL the games we were leading in that we then gave up at the end????)....check check.....

That was the year our D-line and O-line were being touted as our strengths and some of the best in the league(not).....we had new vicious LB's who would stop the run and get to the QB(Mingo and Kruger)(oh my, hahahahahaha)....our D-line was gonna maul QB's and had some new up and comers named Winn, Hughes and 2 Bryants......

So.....our offense had little running game, BUT we had over 4000 yds passing and, supposedly, a mad scientist running the D....But, what really happened was our D sucked rocks and gave up lead after lead after lead.....and, even with the BEST receiver in the league and a Pro-bowl TE, we still got outscored.....game after game after game....

And those talentless blitzes ?????.....only freed up the opposing QB's to pick us apart......too many blitz, using people who cant seal the deal, is like a points buffet for QB's and O coordinators who know wtf they are doing....

Yep....2016 looks A LOT like 2013......just saying

Does Patsy = Shurmur?.....because Horton was here under Chud....which is interesting because THIS years team reminds me very very very much of Chuds team.....lets have a look, shall we????

Was it something I said? ;) The fact that I "borrowed" your "HA!" in a thread the other day...

Yup... my bad (memory) again... It was Jauron running the D under Patsy (Shurmur)...

But I remember Horton's "imaginative" D being pretty vanilla that year under Chud. And the aggression gap between Chud and Hue may even be greater than it was between Hue and Patsy.

As for practices you may be right about the fun, but reports the pace of practice this season far exceed anything I can remember being advertised since maybe as far back as Butch(?).

Then again it's my memory... everything since 1999 is pretty much a blur... not even a very fuzzy one at that...

Is it possible he has the most weapons since 99?

Yes sir J, It's not only possible it's fact. As for as athleticism goes I think he's the best we've had, and the fact we have considerably more talent will make him better. I believe he will be around here a while.

GO BROWNS !!!!

Was it something I said? ;) The fact that I "borrowed" your "HA!" in a thread the other day...

Yup... my bad (memory) again... It was Jauron running the D under Patsy (Shurmur)...

But I remember Horton's "imaginative" D being pretty vanilla that year under Chud. And the aggression gap between Chud and Hue may even be greater than it was between Hue and Patsy.

As for practices you may be right about the fun, but reports the pace of practice this season far exceed anything I can remember being advertised since maybe as far back as Butch(?).

Then again it's my memory... everything since 1999 is pretty much a blur... not even a very fuzzy one at that...

You can use my HA! whenever you want.......I have vanquished my memory of Hortons last stay in Browns town...

That New England game did me in......

Archived