THE BROWNS BOARD

New Team Name

The Gipper

Learned of a new Term that might be cool for a team to adopt: The Derechos

A Derecho is essentially a "land Hurricane". It is what swept through Ohio, Maryland, Virginia here this past week. I know my son had his power out at school for almost a week.

It was a pretty nasty thing. Appropriate for a sports team.

Perhaps the Columbus Hockey team could adopt this name. It would probably be better than "Bluejackets".

Can you think of any other major sports team that could use a change of name to something "less lame"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

This is a "Derecho" that I remember because it took place on the 4th of July while I was in High School. And also because my family was leaving on vacation the next day. I-71 was closed down. We had to take sideroads between here (Summit County) and Columbus. And even there we had several detours because of bridges being out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Fireworks_Derecho

I've never been big on the Thunder moniker that OKC has. I would've preferred Redskins, Cherokee, or something to do with all the Indian heritage down here. I know it's not political correct but if D.C. (the capital of political correctness) can have a major franchise called the Redskins, conservative Oklahoma sure as hell should be able to pull it off. Even Oilers, Sooners, Cowboys, or, my personal favorite, Plainsman would be more creative and more representative of the state although I completely understand staying away from Sooners and Cowboys. No point in dividing the fanbase. Hell even the Greasers (from the Outsiders) would be better (granted not by much) then Thunder. Considering Clayton Bennett had the balls to move the franchise from Seattle to lil ole OKC I figured he'd be a little more ballsy with the name.

Despite the name, I can't believe there is no red in the logo considering the famous red dirt/clay in Oklahoma coupled with the fact that the word Oklahoma means "red man" in Choctaw. Throw in OU's colors and OKC's triple A team, the Red Hawks, and it seems like a no brainer. Sorry this is a bit off topic but that's been bugging me since they unveiled the logo and unis.

Although it's not a major sports team, Tulsa University could use a name change. Golden Hurricanes doesn't really fit in landlocked Oklahoma and kinda sounds like some type of perverted sexual act.

I'd like to see New Orleans have the Jazz moniker, Charlotte have the Hornets moniker, and Utah take over the Bobcats moniker. It would be an absolute nightmare merchandise and marketing-wise but it would make so much more sense name-wise.

I've never been big on the Thunder moniker that OKC has. I would've preferred Redskins, Cherokee, or something to do with all the Indian heritage down here. I know it's not political correct but if D.C. (the capital of political correctness) can have a major franchise called the Redskins, conservative Oklahoma sure as hell should be able to pull it off. Even Oilers, Sooners, Cowboys, or, my personal favorite, Plainsman would be more creative and more representative of the state although I completely understand staying away from Sooners and Cowboys. No point in dividing the fanbase. Hell even the Greasers (from the Outsiders) would be better (granted not by much) then Thunder. Considering Clayton Bennett had the balls to move the franchise from Seattle to lil ole OKC I figured he'd be a little more ballsy with the name.

Despite the name, I can't believe there is no red in the logo considering the famous red dirt/clay in Oklahoma coupled with the fact that the word Oklahoma means "red man" in Choctaw. Throw in OU's colors and OKC's triple A team, the Red Hawks, and it seems like a no brainer. Sorry this is a bit off topic but that's been bugging me since they unveiled the logo and unis.

Although it's not a major sports team, Tulsa University could use a name change. Golden Hurricanes doesn't really fit in landlocked Oklahoma and kinda sounds like some type of perverted sexual act.

I'd like to see New Orleans have the Jazz moniker, Charlotte have the Hornets moniker, and Utah take over the Bobcats moniker. It would be an absolute nightmare merchandise and marketing-wise but it would make so much more sense name-wise.

The Derechos may have made sense for the Oklahoma team..either the Thunder or Tulsa. I guess they could have called them the Tornados....but they may have thought that insensitive due to the number of people that have lost lives to Tornados out there. (then why would it not bother Miami U. to call themselves "Hurricanes").

And yes, I agree that teams should change their names if they move somewhere and the name is indigineous to the place they left.

I've never been big on the Thunder moniker that OKC has. I would've preferred Redskins, Cherokee, or something to do with all the Indian heritage down here.

man what i've seen of OKC (the real OKC not the shots of the stadium and bright lights, middle-sized city) on tv and other media outlets you're lucky they're not called the OKC methheads or KC crackheads. the poverty level and unemployment rates in middle america is thru the roof.

if i was planning on traveling anywhere in the country it sure as hell wouldn't be close to where you're living. even though i hate denver (bronco fans that is) that'd be the first place i'd move to outside the northeast.

man what i've seen of OKC (the real OKC not the shots of the stadium and bright lights, middle-sized city) on tv and other media outlets you're lucky they're not called the OKC methheads or KC crackheads. the poverty level and unemployment rates in middle america is thru the roof.

if i was planning on traveling anywhere in the country it sure as hell wouldn't be close to where you're living. even though i hate denver (bronco fans that is) that'd be the first place i'd move to outside the northeast.

I'm not sure where you getting these assumptions from. OKC and Tulsa, along with their suburbs are quite nice. Do they have their bad spots? Of course, but what decent sized city doesn't? Does central Oklahoma have some problems with meth? Yeah, but which state doesn't have some type of drug related problems? Oklahoma has weathered the economic downturn much better then most states and as of May 2012 has an unemployment rate of 4.8% which stands as the fifth lowest rate in America. Oklahoma is one of the largest producers of oil and natural gas in America. Energy, as I'm sure you know, is a recession proof industry.

As far as poverty goes, I think your confusing it with a lower cost of living. For as long as I can remember Oklahoma has been one of the most inexpensive places to live in America. To give you an example, the house my parents bought in Ohio was a 1 story, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom house with a pretty small kitchen and 1 living area. The house they bought in Tulsa after moving from Ohio is a 2 story, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, large kitchen, dinning room, 2 living areas, with a pool. Not only is their current house in Tulsa nearly twice the square footage of our house in Ohio, it was also nearly 50 grand cheaper. If that's what poverty is in your eyes, sign me up.

However you are not alone in not wanting to travel here. Oklahoma, as well as most of the states in the Union, are not major tourist attractions. Does that make it a bad place to live? Absolutely not. Frankly I, as well as my family, have enjoyed living in Oklahoma much more then all of the other places we've resided (Augusta, Atlanta, Baltimore, D.C., Virginia, St. Louis, and of course Northeast Ohio.) I can't tell you how many kids I've grown up with who thought they hated it here, moved out west or east and within 2 years moved back here. Why you ask? Because most of the people they come in contact with are self absorbed pricks who, for example, have no problem making rash assumptions of a place or people without the slightest clue as to what their talking about.

I'm not sure where you getting these assumptions from. OKC and Tulsa, along with their suburbs are quite nice. Do they have their bad spots? Of course, but what decent sized city doesn't? Does central Oklahoma have some problems with meth? Yeah, but which state doesn't have some type of drug related problems? Oklahoma has weathered the economic downturn much better then most states and as of May 2012 has an unemployment rate of 4.8% which stands as the fifth lowest rate in America. Oklahoma is one of the largest producers of oil and natural gas in America. Energy, as I'm sure you know, is a recession proof industry.

As far as poverty goes, I think your confusing it with a lower cost of living. For as long as I can remember Oklahoma has been one of the most inexpensive places to live in America. To give you an example, the house my parents bought in Ohio was a 1 story, 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom house with a pretty small kitchen and 1 living area. The house they bought in Tulsa after moving from Ohio is a 2 story, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, large kitchen, dinning room, 2 living areas, with a pool. Not only is their current house in Tulsa nearly twice the square footage of our house in Ohio, it was also nearly 50 grand cheaper. If that's what poverty is in your eyes, sign me up.

However you are not alone in not wanting to travel here. Oklahoma, as well as most of the states in the Union, are not major tourist attractions. Does that make it a bad place to live? Absolutely not. Frankly I, as well as my family, have enjoyed living in Oklahoma much more then all of the other places we've resided (Augusta, Atlanta, Baltimore, D.C., Virginia, St. Louis, and of course Northeast Ohio.) I can't tell you how many kids I've grown up with who thought they hated it here, moved out west or east and within 2 years moved back here. Why you ask? Because most of the people they come in contact with are self absorbed pricks who, for example, have no problem making rash assumptions of a place or people without the slightest clue as to what their talking about.

Never been to ok. might check it out now.

But I think your post is checkmate.

all of the other places we've resided (Augusta, Atlanta, Baltimore, D.C., Virginia, St. Louis, and of course Northeast Ohio.)

are you a band of gypsies or migrant workers?

I can't tell you how many kids I've grown up with who thought they hated it here, moved out west or east and within 2 years moved back here. Why you ask? Because most of the people they come in contact with are self absorbed pricks who, for example, have no problem making rash assumptions of a place or people without the slightest clue as to what their talking about.

well most places have people that actually have places to go and people to meet, not just drive around doing 35 mph on the hwy in the left lane with their blinker on for 8-12 hrs a day. my advice to you is stay there because you couldn't deal with what people here deal with every fucking day of their life. does it mean it sucks? no. would i rather be in ohio where i grew up? hell yes. but what we make in 4 months here we couldn't make in a year there. i know people that rent 2 level 4 bdr homes where i'm from that cost less than what we pay for a 2 bdrm apt. BUT i'm a 30 min train ride away from the biggest city in the world. not a block away from a pile of horseshit and the ginsu knife factory.

and to all your friends who couldn't take it in places like ny because of pricks like me: tell 'em to stay out the kitchen if they can't stand the heat.....unless of course you're making red beans and rice. taco.

well most places have people that actually have places to go and people to meet, not just drive around doing 35 mph on the hwy in the left lane with their blinker on for 8-12 hrs a day. my advice to you is stay there because you couldn't deal with what people here deal with every fucking day of their life. does it mean it sucks? no. would i rather be in ohio where i grew up? hell yes. but what we make in 4 months here we couldn't make in a year there. i know people that rent 2 level 4 bdr homes where i'm from that cost less than what we pay for a 2 bdrm apt. BUT i'm a 30 min train ride away from the biggest city in the world. not a block away from a pile of horseshit and the ginsu knife factory.

and to all your friends who couldn't take it in places like ny because of pricks like me: tell 'em to stay out the kitchen if they can't stand the heat.....unless of course you're making red beans and rice. taco.

You selling arrogant uppitness because NYC is so cool? Yup, it's the shithole that never sleeps. Triple parking way cool. NOT.

Really? Been to NYC once. No way in hell I'd want to live there. The worst slum ghetto in OKC is Nirvana compared to what you see in Harlem.

Don't get me wrong- NYC is a really cool place to live- if you can afford $2 million efficiency condos, and $500 buck dinners at the Four Seasons or Peter Lugers.

BTW Mic- I don't scare easily- I never thought there would be a place in the world where I'd be afraid to get out of the car ( pre cell pho0ne era) and make a call- I was wrong- in NYC. Make that call Jack, I'll cover you.

You selling arrogant uppitness because NYC is so cool? Yup, it's the shithole that never sleeps. Triple parking way cool. NOT.

Really? Been to NYC once. No way in hell I'd want to live there. The worst slum ghetto in OKC is Nirvana compared to what you see in Harlem.

Don't get me wrong- NYC is a really cool place to live- if you can afford $2 million efficiency condos, and $500 buck dinners at the Four Seasons or Peter Lugers.

BTW Mic- I don't scare easily- I never thought there would be a place in the world where I'd be afraid to get out of the car ( pre cell pho0ne era) and make a call- I was wrong- in NYC. Make that call Jack, I'll cover you.

OHHHH, maybe we can call you the "Human Derecho".

For the love of fuck. Derecho? THIS is how hard up for football we have become?

TRAINING CAMP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HURRY UP AND START.

Now, explain to my why someone who lists in every post he makes his love for sno cones, garter belts and Peanut Buster Parfaits should be critical of the whimsy that co-patrons may aver?

I think you may in fact underestimate Oklahoma as a tourist attraction. It may not be #1 in America, but it is not devoid of things to see and do there. There is the Cowboy Museum in OKC, plus the OKC Memorial that is quite poignant. Chickasaw NRA. The Rose Garden and Philbrook Museum in Tulsa. Bartlesville is interesting, particularly the Frank Lloyd Wright Building there. Though I have not driven it I understand the Talimena Trail in eastern OK is quite scenic. There are some Indian Battlefield sites in the west.

Sure, it is not say, California in appeal, but it not devoid of attraction.

i'm not selling NYC at all. as a matter of fact i hate going into the city. i was comparing being able to go into NYC in minutes to actually see something than drive 2 hours to go to arbys.

i don't live in the city. i live in a village over looking the hudson river about 15 miles north of the city. taxes are sky high. housing costs are sky high. you know why? because people that want to start or move their family to a very nice place with great schools and still work in the city and make a king's ransom choose this area.

i live on broadway. yeah the same broadway that if you follow it south through yonkers and the bronx will take you to the 'great white way' (gay). sure you don't want to get caught in parts of the bronx or harlem, but that's anywhere. i can go 5 miles down the road into yonkers and drive down a tree laden 3 million dollar a house block, turn the corner and see a bunch of punks selling drugs.

just not cool to think that just because i live in ny that i'm some uppity asshole. don't forget i was raised in middle class sandusky ohio. hell i'll be the first person to say hi to ya. just living here chances are i won't be getting a response.

For the love of fuck. Derecho? THIS is how hard up for football we have become?

TRAINING CAMP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HURRY UP AND START.

Im with you on that Tom.,LOL!

i'm not selling NYC at all. as a matter of fact i hate going into the city. i was comparing being able to go into NYC in minutes to actually see something than drive 2 hours to go to arbys.

i don't live in the city. i live in a village over looking the hudson river about 15 miles north of the city. taxes are sky high. housing costs are sky high. you know why? because people that want to start or move their family to a very nice place with great schools and still work in the city and make a king's ransom choose this area.

i live on broadway. yeah the same broadway that if you follow it south through yonkers and the bronx will take you to the 'great white way' (gay). sure you don't want to get caught in parts of the bronx or harlem, but that's anywhere. i can go 5 miles down the road into yonkers and drive down a tree laden 3 million dollar a house block, turn the corner and see a bunch of punks selling drugs.

just not cool to think that just because i live in ny that i'm some uppity asshole. don't forget i was raised in middle class sandusky ohio. hell i'll be the first person to say hi to ya. just living here chances are i won't be getting a response.

You can take Broadway all the way to Canada if you want, FYI. You can say you live on Broadway if you live in Plattsburg. It is not quite as cool as it was for my next door neighbor's son who, until earlier this year went to work at the address that was 1 Broadway, New York, New York.

Imagine that, the "cultured New Yorker," unable to sustain a legitimate argument with the "small minded redneck," resorts to name calling, weak insults, attempted intimidation, and grossly inaccurate assumptions. Let me guess, in your next retort you will assume that all Oklahomans live in tepees, bloodletting is still the medical procedure of choice, and these fancy horseless carriages are currently all the rage down here. The fact of the matter is you started talking out your ass, I corrected your asinine statements, you got your feelings hurt because you got shown up, and instead of being a man and owning up to your false assumptions, decided to try and prove you are some how a part of some type of superior race because you can survive in the "biggest city in the world," a feat accomplished by over 8 million people on a daily basis. You know what, have your fun. If your feelings are so hurt and you need to disparage an entire state to help you feel better, go right ahead. Stay classy.

I think you may in fact underestimate Oklahoma as a tourist attraction. It may not be #1 in America, but it is not devoid of things to see and do there. There is the Cowboy Museum in OKC, plus the OKC Memorial that is quite poignant. Chickasaw NRA. The Rose Garden and Philbrook Museum in Tulsa. Bartlesville is interesting, particularly the Frank Lloyd Wright Building there. Though I have not driven it I understand the Talimena Trail in eastern OK is quite scenic. There are some Indian Battlefield sites in the west.

Sure, it is not say, California in appeal, but it not devoid of attraction.

Oh it undoubtedly has it's attractions but so does every other state. I actually went to the Philbrook last week with the girlfriend. Downtown Tulsa has to be my favorite though. The art deco architecture is first class.

Imagine that, the "cultured New Yorker," unable to sustain a legitimate argument with the "small minded redneck," resorts to name calling, weak insults, attempted intimidation, and grossly inaccurate assumptions. Let me guess, in your next retort you will assume that all Oklahomans live in tepees, bloodletting is still the medical procedure of choice, and these fancy horseless carriages are currently all the rage down here. The fact of the matter is you started talking out your ass, I corrected your asinine statements, you got your feelings hurt because you got shown up, and instead of being a man and owning up to your false assumptions, decided to try and prove you are some how a part of some type of superior race because you can survive in the "biggest city in the world," a feat accomplished by over 8 million people on a daily basis. You know what, have your fun. If your feelings are so hurt and you need to disparage an entire state to help you feel better, go right ahead. Stay classy.

to have your feelings hurt a remark has to be made to you by either someone you care about or someone you respect. you are neither.

now get back to the fields MFer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDw7_L82kU&feature=related

to have your feelings hurt a remark has to be made to you by either someone you care about or someone you respect. you are neither.

now get back to the fields MFer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDw7_L82kU&feature=related

It makes perfect sense you have no respect for someone who brings factual evidence to an argument. You prefer inaccurate assumptions and nonsensical opinions. Now I realize you'll try to dispute this with another youtube clip and a partial reply but you have yet to man up for your factually inaccurate assessment of my state or, at the very least, even an attempt to prove me wrong. If you have any respect for yourself, you would at least attempt to defend yourself, in a factual way, or admit your guilt. Keep in mind real men have no problem admitting they're wrong. It is a bit sad that a 24 year old has to remind you of that.

It makes perfect sense you have no respect for someone who brings factual evidence to an argument. You prefer inaccurate assumptions and nonsensical opinions. Now I realize you'll try to dispute this with another youtube clip and a partial reply but you have yet to man up for your factually inaccurate assessment of my state or, at the very least, even an attempt to prove me wrong. If you have any respect for yourself, you would at least attempt to defend yourself, in a factual way, or admit your guilt. Keep in mind real men have no problem admitting they're wrong. It is a bit sad that a 24 year old has to remind you of that.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrealmenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzgozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfuckzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyourselfzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyou'llzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzneverzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwinzzzzzzzzzzzzz.zzzzzzzzzzzziszzzzzzzzzzzzzzenglishzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyourzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsecondzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzlanguage?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

you're boring. you couldn't lick the cripled cowshit off tommy v'sboots but yet you come here and YAP at me?

roger waters: the wall: opening nite: yankee stadium. trippin: now.

you>white sports coat. me>anywhere besides OKC.

calgon, take me away!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzrealmenzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzgozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzfuckzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyourselfzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyou'llzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzneverzzzzzzzzzzzzzzwinzzzzzzzzzzzzz.zzzzzzzzzzzziszzzzzzzzzzzzzzenglishzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyourzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsecondzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzlanguage?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

you're boring. you couldn't lick the cripled cowshit off tommy v'sboots but yet you come here and YAP at me?

roger waters: the wall: opening nite: yankee stadium. trippin: now.

you>white sports coat. me>anywhere besides OKC.

calgon, take me away!

So my ability to spell a word more then three syllables makes english my second language as well as my argument boring? Frankly I've already won the argument hands down. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I'm just waiting for your concession and will continue to "yap" at you until do you. All it takes is a simple "yeah I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about." but your either too aggorgant or stupid (my money is on both) to simply admit fault. I don't give a shit about your Pink Floyd references or your attempted claim to Yankee stadium even though you live 30 minutes away from the actual city. Quite trying to change the subject like a 5 year old who knows their in trouble. Act your age and be a fucking man.

So my ability to spell a word more then three syllables makes english my second language as well as my argument boring? Frankly I've already won the argument hands down. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I'm just waiting for your concession and will continue to "yap" at you until do you. All it takes is a simple "yeah I didn't know what the fuck I was talking about." but your either too aggorgant or stupid (my money is on both) to simply admit fault. I don't give a shit about your Pink Floyd references or your attempted claim to Yankee stadium even though you live 30 minutes away from the actual city. Quite trying to change the subject like a 5 year old who knows their in trouble. Act your age and be a fucking man.

dude. STFU. it's old already.

i don't claim anything. the facts are the facts. yankee stadium is a 15 min train ride from the metro north station which is 2 blocks down the fucking hill from me and i rode it last night to see the concert.

where in billyfuck OK can you walk 2 blocks get on a train (no, not a wagon train) and go see thousands of different attractions, 5 star restaurants, #1 rated museums and parks and spend $8 on a bottle of water? yeah. exactly. i might go down once or twice a week now just to consult with old clients but does that mean i'm a NYC lover? no, i'm not.

ohio is my place of birth and where i learned loyalty towards my sports teams. high school: blue streaks. college: BGSU, toledo, cinci, kent state, akron, ohio and ohio state. hell cleveland state when they made it to the swseet sixteen years ago in basketball. pro: indians, cavs and browns. simple as that.

you and i went off topic on this thread a while back. you think OKC is the shit and i disagree. end of discussion.

oh yeah i said 20 miles from the city. my bad, it's 25. but i can make it in 15 minutes at 6 in the morn, drivin.....with no tumbleweeds or dead aardvarks.

dude. STFU. it's old already.

i don't claim anything. the facts are the facts. yankee stadium is a 15 min train ride from the metro north station which is 2 blocks down the fucking hill from me and i rode it last night to see the concert.

where in billyfuck OK can you walk 2 blocks get on a train (no, not a wagon train) and go see thousands of different attractions, 5 star restaurants, #1 rated museums and parks and spend $8 on a bottle of water? yeah. exactly. i might go down once or twice a week now just to consult with old clients but does that mean i'm a NYC lover? no, i'm not.

ohio is my place of birth and where i learned loyalty towards my sports teams. high school: blue streaks. college: BGSU, toledo, cinci, kent state, akron, ohio and ohio state. hell cleveland state when they made it to the swseet sixteen years ago in basketball. pro: indians, cavs and browns. simple as that.

you and i went off topic on this thread a while back. you think OKC is the shit and i disagree. end of discussion.

oh yeah i said 20 miles from the city. my bad, it's 25. but i can make it in 15 minutes at 6 in the morn, drivin.....with no tumbleweeds or dead aardvarks.

Are you suggesting that one of these names be applied to the OKC team?

Do they have aardvarks in Oklahoma? Maybe not, but they have armadillos.

Archived