THE BROWNS BOARD

Corey Coleman Participated in Beating

Sober Poet

Here we go, wth:

Browns receiver Corey Coleman participated in beating; his brother and friend are charged, court records say

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A probable cause affidavit filed with the indictment charging the brother of Browns receiver Corey Coleman in a New Years Eve attack says the player took part in the beating. But Coleman himself is not charged in the encounter at his downtown Cleveland condo that left a man unconscious and bleeding in a parking garage stairwell.

His brother, Jonathan Coleman, a 25-year-old former Kansas State University football player, and Jared Floyd, 24, both of Dallas, Texas, are charged with felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

The indictment handed up Tuesday by a Cuyahoga County grand jury only charges Jonathan Coleman and Floyd. However, a probable cause affidavit says all three men attacked the 26-year-old man.

Jonathan Coleman and Floyd are scheduled for arraignment on July 5.

Corey Coleman's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, previously told cleveland.com that Coleman had nothing to do with the fight. Spellacy did not immediately return a message seeking comment Tuesday.

Court records do no list an attorney for Jonathan Coleman or Floyd.

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's spokeswoman Kathleen Caffrey said the investigation is on-going.

Jonathan Coleman and Floyd are accused of attacking the man on Dec. 31 in the lobby of Coleman's downtown Cleveland condo at the Pinnacle Condominiums on West Lakeside Avenue.

The man, Adam Sapp of Mayfield Heights, said in a phone interview with Cleveland.com he never saw Coleman hit him.

Sapp was getting on the elevator when an argument broke out between him and several men who were getting off the elevator, police reports say. Sapp said the fight was broken up by several people.

Sapp walked away but the group. Corey Coleman and the two others followed him, surveillance video shows, according to Sapp and police.

Sapp was attacked from behind and didn't see his attackers. He said he never saw Corey Coleman.

The men knocked him unconscious and left him with a burst eardrum. Jonathan Coleman and Floyd then carried Sapp's unconscious body through the parking garage and left him there, according to court records.

Sapp suffered a concussion, a ruptured ear drum and multiple bruises during the attack, according to police. He was taken to St. Vincent Charity Hospital.

Sapp said the attack left him unable to work. He is a personal trainer and was unable to work for several months while he recovered.

"That's peak weight-loss time, too," Sapp said, pointing out that he was attacked on New Year's Eve.

He lost out on a job opportunity as a trainer at a boxing gym in Parma Heights, he said.

Sapp said he's been upset with how long it has taken to get charges brought in the case. He said he believes it would have been a quicker case had it not involved a Browns player.

"It's been an aggravating six months," Sapp said. "I'm going to keep fighting for justice no matter what. If they're not treating all citizens the same way, that's disappointing. I just want an equal shake."

Sapp said he's been upset with how long it has taken to get charges brought in the case. He said he believes it would have been a quicker case had it not involved a Browns player.

But, by all appearances...it did NOT involve a Browns player...but a Browns players brother. From what I suspect, this victim wants to involve the Browns player....because the Browns player has the deep pockets.

But, by all appearances...it did NOT involve a Browns player...but a Browns players brother. From what I suspect, this victim wants to involve the Browns player....because the Browns player has the deep pockets.

But this part sounds like the Browns player was involved.

Sapp walked away but the group. Corey Coleman and the two others followed him, surveillance video shows, according to Sapp and police.

But this part sounds like the Browns player was involved.

But it says the videos simply show him walking. Not doing anything else.

Have any of you ever heard of a little thing called the Constitution of the United States of America. Particularly the 5th Amendment. Presumption of innocence and all that.

Ahhhhh......... when have they had a talented Wide Out? Coleman is not talented. He is a non factor. This fucking story means nothing. Coleman is an average player that can be duplicated easily.

Hahahaha.

I'm sure he hurt his shoulder during the beating and was out a minimum of 6 weeks before he could resume any further beating.

But it says the videos simply show him walking. Not doing anything else.

Sapp walked away but the group. Corey Coleman and the two others followed him,

...then the guy gets beat up and dragged out to a parking area. Perhaps Corey was just there to show them where to drag him.

Attention:Roger Gaydarr..Vincent Gum binni here..Seems the writer Adam Ferrise of Cleveland.com has the drama wording of the writer's of Hill Street Blues. Problem is, If our client Cory "participated in beating" then either witness's or video surveillance must show Cory as a "Participate"? BTW-Cory's place seems to be a pretty swanky joint with plenty of cameras I'd bet..6 months of collecting witnesses & video evidence seems a little long with the 2 non-Utes you have on a 2nd degree felony..Maybe the writer should learn a better wording such as "caught up in beating"."Wrong place,wrong time" in beating.This also seems a better WR language that Gaydarr would maybe let us slide..(throw a water bottle, shoot your own leg, Revis drops 2 steeler fans & don't touch a women)hey at least he never raped anybody at Baylor? Or did he?

video shows him not helping the victim or breaking it up either, i presume watson?

midget thug.

one on one these dudes ain't shit without their posse, unless of course they're smacking some bitch up. so much for the new regime's 'character' standard.

Funny thread. The article seems to indicate that Corey wasn't involved.

Yeah, if you look closely the name of the thread was copied verbatim from the article title, I didn't realize I couldn't edit the title later when I posted.

Another take here:

Corey Coleman Not Indicted

His brother, Jonathan Coleman, 25, and Jared Floyd, 24, both of Dallas, Texas, were indicted on one count each of felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

Per the indictment issued Tuesday morning, courtesy of ABC News 5 Cleveland, Coleman and Floyd "did knowingly cause serious physical harm to Adam Sapp."

While the Browns second-year receiver wasn’t indicted, he was named in a probable cause affidavit that says the three men attacked the 26-year-old Mayfield Heights resident, according to Adam Ferrise of Cleveland.com.

Sapp also told Cleveland.com in a phone interview he was attacked from behind and was not able to name Corey Coleman as one of his assailants. The attack resulted in him suffering a concussion, a ruptured ear drum and multiple bruises, according to police reports.

Although Sapp wasn’t able to name the Browns’ 2016 first-round pick, his friend Nina Holman said he was involved in the beating.

And even though Corey Coleman wasn’t indicted on Tuesday with the two other men, the issue remains under investigation, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office spokeswoman Kathleen Caffrey said, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal.

Jonathan Coleman and Floyd will be arraigned on July 5.

Every article I've read on the subject makes absolutely NO sense. Some have said he was a "participant", while others only say "he was there". The important thing to remember is he wasn't indicted like the other two, which tells me that he legally didn't do anything wrong. I mean, why on earth would Corey be excluded from the indictment if the other two weren't? It doesn't make sense to me. This is a fine example of very poor journalism. The titles of many of these articles make it seem like Corey did something illegal, yet when you READ the crappy writing you're left wondering, "what the hell happened, then?"

The NFL doesn't require that players break the law in order to be fined/suspended, so it will be interesting to know what happens to Corey (if anything). I'm pretty sure there's video evidence of the entire altercation, or at least I think I read that anyway. That would be pretty definitive to me, but who knows?

I'm one of Corey's toughest critics, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Even if Corey somehow manages to come back to training camp healthy and playing well, it won't matter to me. I heard all that shit last year and it really didn't amount to a hill of beans. I saw NONE of the explosiveness we heard all about, NONE of the shiftiness, NONE of the elusiveness, and NONE of the big play capability minus one nice TD catch during the second week of the damn season. Granted he played with extremely poor QB's, but you'd like to think he would've made ONE highlight play. ONE play where he takes an ordinary reception and turns it into something extraordinary. He was completely shut down by rookie CB's at time, and he wasn't able to separate like we all hoped. Obviously I know he was injured, but even when he came back he didn't really do anything. He had a very low catch per target percentage, and we need so much more from a first round draft pick.

The only thing that will change my mind about Corey is seeing him do it in a game. I'm not trying to be unfair, or label the kid a bust because it's not my style. He just has a lot to prove, and we all know it.

So what's this "probable cause" stuff mean Gip? Named, but not charged?

Same "condo lobby" where JFF and his entourage got into it with a drunken fan?

water bottle incomplete was at Byron Nelson Classic, Irving Texas..one of many..i lost track..JM's condo downtown was called..The 9.. i believe?

Again, a good post. If he was there, watching and did noting, I am pretty sure that is a contributory offense. Unless is life was in peril and he couldn't react, he could at least have been verbally against it and called the police. DOing nothing is just as bad as joining in the beating. He is a typical inner city savage.

a person I know did ten years for saying nothing

It is impressed upon citizens to do everything possible to stop a crime. I would like to see Law enforcement begin arresting people who video fights and beatings and do nothing but laugh and jump around like zoo animals.

one going on now is that girl she kept telling her boyfriend (by text of course) to go threw with his suicide plan,well he did and now she is in court,hope the bitch gets some time she is not bad looking either I bet the dykes will love her well

I been following that case Syd, Pretty damn sick. And all for a April fools day prank? You have got to be dropping logs. This is just sick.

I have been busy lately (it's summertime man) anything new going on

Coleman has been under my skin since the day we drafted him.....this is just one more strike in my book.....still looking for ANY reason to want him on my team.......(unsuccessfully)

It still irk's Me , that we took him over Doctson.. Big head scratcher for Me...

I got attacked like fresh meat in a zombie nest when I laughed my ass off at Coleman. It amazes me that these cocksuckers demand football talk, but when the football talk doesn't powder their ass, they call it trolling.

Coleman played in a very tough-football-like division, spread offense, no real block and tackle exposure.

His stats show that he drops a lot of passes. Actually MORE than Braylon Edwards inside the numbers. He hates contact, The outside routes that he likes will simply not be available to him in the NFL, He is too small, and he is not physical enough to win the outside. This guy is a fucking D U D. He is again one of the worst draft picks imaginable. There is no future with this punk.

not true.

most have to follow the consensus to feel included.

to go off the path and claim to have seen something different or to call for a different path would be blasphemy for most.

god bless PoG but for every number one pick that's gone south down the shitter he still exclaims as a great pick( TR is still ringing in my head). i'm guilty of it with gilbert but redeemed myself when saying watkins was a bum and before that declaring holmgren as a 10 year set-back.

shoulda kept davis. shoulda kept mangini. shoulda kept pettine.....BUT NO!!!!!!!!!

thank god for hue jackson! LMAO!!

Coleman played in a very tough-football-like division, spread offense, no real block and tackle exposure.

His stats show that he drops a lot of passes. Actually MORE than Braylon Edwards inside the numbers. He hates contact,

I assume you mean TOUCH football.

Braylon Edwards is a good example. Take your eyes off the ball to look for the guy that's gonna tackle you. Not to be confused with, looking for where you're going to run with it.

Hopefully Coleman isn't as afraid as BE was.

He didn't show a whole lot last year...but he was a rookie on a bad team.

It still irk's Me , that we took him over Doctson.. Big head scratcher for Me...

Isn't Doctson the WR who got injured and hardly played at all? Or am I getting him confused with somebody else?

It's important to note that Coleman was a rookie on the worst team, like Orion did, but I think many of us got our hopes up after continuously reading how Corey was dominating in training camp. Our panic is only cemented after Pryor inexplicably leaving for less money, and even though we have Britt, it still feels like we have nobody to throw the rock to, right? I've probably read four different articles from various publications stating that Ricardo Louis has dramatically improved, and he's a vastly different player from the guy who began his career last year. That's all fine and good, but I don't really give a crap how a player looks right now. Heck, I don't even care how a player looks in training camp. Corey Coleman dominated last year's training camp. Big deal. Hell, I still remember when Quincy freaking Morgan was being talked about as a guy who would "break out" in the NFL because of how he looked in camp. *yawn* So I'm not easily impressed until I see a guy do at LEAST in preseason games, and even that doesn't hold too much water. I want to see our guys make plays DURING THE SEASON.

Still, if the reports are true about Ricardo, and he truly IS playing at full speed with a much improved understanding of the offense, that could bode well for us. Ricardo has the body style and speed needed to make big plays in the NFL (if he actually catches the damn ball), and in theory, he COULD be the guy to burn defenses deep since Coleman doesn't appear to ever be healthy. I still think we need to add a veteran WR, and I think we will when teams start making cuts closer to the beginning of the season. There will be a veteran casualty, and we'll snap him up.

Archived