THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Areas of Concern

The Gipper

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mudflap, let's talk about your points, without the Ghoolie venom.................

This is a Browns forum where folks want to come and have fun, to look forward to good times and critique all the goings on of the team. For sure, I can be a pisser on the parade., Believe me, I get it.

However, look at your own words. You have rightly called the Browns the worst franchise in the past 20 years, I believe it is the worst franchise in the history of pro football. But I digress. The part that many don't understand is that I AM a Browns fan and I want them to win. However, let me share the view from where I sit.

To be successful the Browns are going to have close the gap on the better teams. So in the case of the Steelers for example, I ask the simple question, what have we done to close the QB advantage they have? How about the WR advantage they have? RB? Now you see, the only answer anyone can give me is " If this guy pans out to be what we think:....

Mud, every NFL team had a bunch of rookies and unproven talent that "If this guy pans out to be what they think"...will dramatically transform their team. I cite Flugel as an absolute example of how Browns fans have become simpletons. Read his horseshit on " Greg Williams is going to really have these guys whipped into shape" horseshit. For 20 years this egg drop has been using the same exact sentences but putting in the new guys name every year.................He, and many like him have given a voluminous amount of blowjobs to Holmgren, Lerner, Haslam, Savage, Crennel, and on and on and on it goes...............

Again, I get it, that's a part of being a fan...............but in this case, a 7 year old fan, not grown men who should be able to think for themselves. One poster said something to the effect that " we can just get Wrs and RBs on the FA market. WTF? Yes, there are tons of that level talent just hanging around because nobody needs them........BUT........... fat ass OL? Yeah baby, that's where the money makers are.

The reasons no expert sees the Browns as measurably improved are the same reasons I lament. No QB, No WRs, No TE and very little RB punch. All this other talk about finally getting it right? It's horseshit, Mud. You know it's horseshit. There is no way this team will be improved, and in fact I believe it will be worse. 0 - 16? Maybe, 3 - 13? Sure, but 4 wins? C mon, we have 6 guaranteed division losses right out of the gate.

The one thing consistent in the last 17 years is that the Cleveland Browns refuse to draft the very creme of the playmaker crop. After the couch pick, we have taken QBs, WRs, and RBs that nobody else really wanted. Quinn? Manzeil? Please dude, nobody wanted those fucktards.

So, from my perspective, it is the majority who post here who are the trolls. 17 years of unrealistinc bullshit. Over and over and over.

Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them.....and some we disagree on, but most thats football opinions on whats most important...

Most of my ranting lately has been about the outrageous optimism following 1 -15....its ridiculous......and the blindness to us doing exactly what weve been doing, yet claiming its some new approach....I wont list it point by point, cause I have many times already.....but I assure you(and everybody else) I have LOVED the Browns for 40 years.....Im just tired of the bullshit and am not convinced much has changed....

Look, to go from average to great, history shows you need to add several GREAT players and even more very good players....fast.....what people dont realize is we aren't even average.....were are terrible.....it will take a bunch of very good players just to get us back to average.....and even more to achieve great......and if I look at 2016-2017 for by measuring stick.....we are not remotely close.....in fact, we are barely doing whats needed to get to average....slowly.....

And in 2 years now.....I honestly dont see one "great" player added to this team....we have added a couple "very goods" and a few goods ones.....but, considering we let approx 12 contributors leave, during the same period, I dont see any overall gains.....and a number of losses.....

Gonna be another ....very .....long season.....

We don't have a QB (yet). Our WR corps is abysmal. Our management is silent on Josh Gordon and that's a travesty. And our secondary is ugly ass fuck. The team will go nowhere without those areas addressed.

But I'm not an "all negative" guy. Far from it. I like Jackson. I love the hire of Williams. I believe the Browns to have a "Top Ten" in both the defensive AND offensive lines this season and that should make a huge difference in how competitive they play on a consistent basis. I think Njoku and Devalve are going to be a potent punch at TE. I was against making a big addition at RB, because I like Duke and love Crowell. DeShone Kizer in the second was a COUP and showed up the teams who were sacrificing big assets to draft QBs this season in the first round. Getting a second for taking on Osweiller was a trade I am unabashed support of. I am very excited to see the improvements for this season and I can't wait for next year's draft.

I'm not just an asshole who pisses on everything Browns. And I don't appreciate being treated as though that's the case. Especially from a cat like yourself who I have an incredible amount of respect for and whom I learn a lot about the sport from.

No disrespect was meant.... just disagreements stated where we disagree. If you've read my posts, especially lately, you can note that I don't waste time responding to posters who/posts that I don't respect... and I've "ignore listed" those who most consistently waste my time.

Quality OL are now one of the scarcest commodities in FA and the draft. The NCAA style is responsible for the draft's dearth of talent and in turn that reality has increased the value of OL in the NFL.On the other hand RB and WR are the two of the most plentiful positions... IMO. I simply think it is easier to add the latter two later...

We are in lockstep on our QB situation. Not there yet, but have possibilities both current and future.

And, yes, there are still other areas to be addressed including the 2ndary... another area where I see off-season talent being plentiful. Plus I'm really looking forward to seeing how ours performs under new leadership, a new philosophy and behind a bolstered DL. I think our organization is as well... thus the lack of priority there this off season.

One last point of clarification, not contention... I've cited multiple instances where in 2017 Jimmah has opened his wallet. That's different from having an "open wallet policy"... an approach I do not like.

Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them...

Sweet Jesus... agreement with Phoolie?

Maybe you do need to take a break... ;)

There is a bunch of unrealistic optimism? At how many wins does the optimism become unrealistic? I'm thinking anything more than 7.

It is hard to put a number of wins to what a "good" season would be. We're at the stage where steady improvement and being within striking distance most games is considered good.

Biggest Areas of Concern

...just as a refresher:

QB.......WR.......TE......RT........LB.......S.......CB

That's quite a long list of areas of concern.

Now, we addressed some of these issues in the draft. But it don't mean squat until we see that the draftee is good, (or not) That is why I didn't like letting our veteran all pro TE go BEFORE we knew that the draftee could fill his spot. We've certainly seen draft picks fail before.

Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them.....and some we disagree on, but most thats football opinions on whats most important...

Most of my ranting lately has been about the outrageous optimism following 1 -15....its ridiculous......and the blindness to us doing exactly what weve been doing, yet claiming its some new approach....I wont list it point by point, cause I have many times already.....but I assure you(and everybody else) I have LOVED the Browns for 40 years.....Im just tired of the bullshit and am not convinced much has changed....

Look, to go from average to great, history shows you need to add several GREAT players and even more very good players....fast.....what people dont realize is we aren't even average.....were are terrible.....it will take a bunch of very good players just to get us back to average.....and even more to achieve great......and if I look at 2016-2017 for by measuring stick.....we are not remotely close.....in fact, we are barely doing whats needed to get to average....slowly.....

And in 2 years now.....I honestly dont see one "great" player added to this team....we have added a couple "very goods" and a few goods ones.....but, considering we let approx 12 contributors leave, during the same period, I dont see any overall gains.....and a number of losses.....

Gonna be another ....very .....long season.....

Dude, I agree with you more often than not, but confusion and chaos are vital ingredients to help people (not you) see clearly.

Your points on improving are spot on. If you want to gain ground on the Steelers....then what are your answers for their top stars? The answer can't be....Analytics and Assets are giving us a lot of young talent. Young talent is an ingredient, for sure, but so are dependable playmakers who the team can be sure will produce.

The only way the Browns will be improved is is an inordinately high percentage of our players pan out to be far above average. That's just not feasible. It is unrealistic.

Somewhere over the years Browns fans and I guess management have taken the approach the the hottest prospect playmakers are just not for us. Is that Browns ownership is cheap? stupid? I am not saying this to pat myself on the back, but rather as an example of just how out of touch the Browns are....I was watching the Draft at a bar, when we took Garrett, I swear to you a split second before the Bears made their move, I said, someene is going to take Trubisky at #2.

now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.

I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?

Yeah man, what gave it away? My vehement defense of the confederate flag?

Just pulling your leg, man. Aren't you enjoy watching Calsnots get his panties caught in his snapper?

I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

Nick, you sound stupid. We can just pick a QB up mid season. Offensive Linemen are the guys that make the excitement.

I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room.

:blink:

now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.

I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?

There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

I think that is the problem with the fanbase, really. Fans are tired of being fed the 3rd or 4th best options and being told to be excited. The QB is the most vital position on a football team, and THE best way to energize a fanbase. I could care less if Wentz, or Trubisky or Watson or Lynch don't pan out. I just would for once like a front office with the balls to pull the goddamn trigger and grab the best prospect at the most important position. GO for it. If they don't work out you are no worse than these shit shows of 2nd and 3rd round projects.

The worst part? Most of the other regimes simply weren't in a position to grab anything more than the runner ups runner up while these fucking idiots were gifted numerous top shelf prospects and simply decided to pass to prove how much smarter than the rest of the NFL they are. Yeah... Real brilliance....

Just pulling your leg, man. Aren't you enjoy watching Calsnots get his panties caught in his snapper?

He's right about Mud's negativity.

Mud's right about Cal's delusion.

Opposite sides of the same coin really.

I think that is the problem with the fanbase, really.

There is NOTHING wrong with the fucking fan base.....Fan bases are there to do one thing: buy the shit the team sells, be it tickets, gear, whatthefuckever. All fan bases are the same. All this fan base needs is for the team management to bring a winner here.

Fans are tired of being fed the 3rd or 4th best options and being told to be excited. The QB is the most vital position on a football team, and THE best way to energize a fanbase. I could care less if Wentz, or Trubisky or Watson or Lynch don't pan out. I just would for once like a front office with the balls to pull the goddamn trigger and grab the best prospect at the most important position. GO for it. If they don't work out you are no worse than these shit shows of 2nd and 3rd round projects.

But, then again, who knows WHO is going to be the "best prospect"? The best QB that came out in 2014 was a second rounder. In 2012 it may have been a 3rd rounder (Wilson...vs. Luck...who has actually had the better of it?) In 2000 it was a 6th rounder. It seems that last year it was a 4th rounder (Prescott) In 2002 it was a 4th rounder (David Garrard). In 2001 it was a second rounder (Brees). So, you just don't know. Yes, the Browns will have to get very lucky to have their #52 overall QB become the best of this class....but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

The worst part? Most of the other regimes simply weren't in a position to grab anything more than the runner ups runner up while these fucking idiots were gifted numerous top shelf prospects and simply decided to pass to prove how much smarter than the rest of the NFL they are. Yeah... Real brilliance....

But, yes, no doubt that it seems that they have continually passed up talent that eventually proved better for talent that proved....pure suckass at times.

And you know....I suspect that some of that will happen this year as well.

again, the squealers didn't do that, either. They had their team built, and got their raping to go qb.

He's right about Mud's negativity.

Mud's right about Cal's delusion.

Opposite sides of the same coin really.

There is no delusion. LIke a few days ago, I went and had to replace the belt on our riding lawnmower.

Did that, and it was too loose. Took it into the shop, and he explained those mowers have to have

the original maker belt - specially sized.

dammit. So, he put one on for me, I'm good. It quit turning the blades and cutting grass after about 5 minutes.

I look at it, and it was loose again. So, it seems that the idle arm bracket wasn't back far enough, I torque on it

by hand, and it broke off. In two pieces.

dammit. So, I ordered a new plate through the local hardware store, and picked it up. Went to install it, and the

stupid holes were not threaded, where they most certainly have to be threaded.

dammit. So, I go back, and the guy went and tapped em for me, and I'm good, no charge. I go back home,

and spend 45 minutes trying to get the big bolt/nut out so I can take off the other half of the flimsy bracket.

The bottom of the bolt, that goes through the mower deck, was banged up over the years with rocks, etc,

and wet grass and rust. So, I finally got tired of stripping the corners of the nut off, and took a chisel and a hammer to it,

and go to install it, and I realize that the bolt is way too small. The old plate had a bronze bushing to size it for the bolt.

Tried to pound the bushing out, it was solid. So, I go back to the hardware guy, he couldn't get it out either.

So, I went back and bought new bushings that fit the outside diameter, but had to buy a 1/2 bolt and nut and toss out the

old 3/8' bolt. I go back home, and realize that the hole through the mower deck wasn't big enough for the new bolt.

dammit. So, I search and find the perfect drill bit, and drill the stupid hole out. Got the plate installed, big spring attached, etc...

hooked the belt back up and yard tested it. Worked perfectly.

Two days of trying to fix the old )_(&)(*&^ riding mower.

So, it was not delusion that caused me to happily persevere and know I was going to get it fixed eventually.

It was trust, and the agonizing fun of finally getting there and winning .

So, pardone moi, but I never give up. Never freaking ever. I don't/won't/ain't never gonna give up for anything.

So it is, that I do the same on the Browns. Mower sucks, taken apart, problems/aggravation,almost broke my hand

a few times, and had cursies? yep.

But I don't give up, I might bitch just a tad, but I work it out, figure it out, and I will win eventually.

The Browns are exactly like that. We hang in there, and the Browns will build it right eventually,

and we will WIN !

What frreaking sense does it make to whine, complain, cry, moan, lament and criticize everthing that moves,

when your lawnmower needs fixed?

Just get positive attitude going, laugh it off, and keep workin at it. Never....NEVER give up.

There ain't no freaking "delusion" confusion, here. Just whinsies.

Free country - but giving up doesn't get the mower fixed.

dammit. (LOL)

Lots of "dammits" in that post Cal......I surely havent given up, thats why Im still here.....fighting for my team.....

Just consider my posts to be all those "dammits" you just talked about......;)

When I go away and stop yakking.....thats when you can say I gave up.....

married at 18.....started my business in my 20's.......developed 50 acres single handedly(in my spare time).....lived an entire lifetime of self made income......never a drop of help from anybody.....aint no quit in me.....Only thing I ever quit, was my early retirement....

okay,, you are in great shape then ! We got my Father-in-law to the airport, he's back in TExas,

I finished the 9 acre field, going to plant more cow hay, and a bag of sunflowers...in the morning, dentist

tomorrow afternoon, then put up fence around part of the garden and plant some lettuce, etc...

I've planted about 800 tomato plants, and other stuff in the garden. Stupid rain, not ready for it yet....

Never quit.

There is no delusion. LIke a few days ago, I went and had to replace the belt on our riding lawnmower.

Did that, and it was too loose. Took it into the shop, and he explained those mowers have to have

the original maker belt - specially sized.

dammit. So, he put one on for me, I'm good. It quit turning the blades and cutting grass after about 5 minutes.

I look at it, and it was loose again. So, it seems that the idle arm bracket wasn't back far enough, I torque on it

by hand, and it broke off. In two pieces.

dammit. So, I ordered a new plate through the local hardware store, and picked it up. Went to install it, and the

stupid holes were not threaded, where they most certainly have to be threaded.

dammit. So, I go back, and the guy went and tapped em for me, and I'm good, no charge. I go back home,

and spend 45 minutes trying to get the big bolt/nut out so I can take off the other half of the flimsy bracket.

The bottom of the bolt, that goes through the mower deck, was banged up over the years with rocks, etc,

and wet grass and rust. So, I finally got tired of stripping the corners of the nut off, and took a chisel and a hammer to it,

and go to install it, and I realize that the bolt is way too small. The old plate had a bronze bushing to size it for the bolt.

Tried to pound the bushing out, it was solid. So, I go back to the hardware guy, he couldn't get it out either.

So, I went back and bought new bushings that fit the outside diameter, but had to buy a 1/2 bolt and nut and toss out the

old 3/8' bolt. I go back home, and realize that the hole through the mower deck wasn't big enough for the new bolt.

dammit. So, I search and find the perfect drill bit, and drill the stupid hole out. Got the plate installed, big spring attached, etc...

hooked the belt back up and yard tested it. Worked perfectly.

Two days of trying to fix the old )_(&)(*&^ riding mower.

So, it was not delusion that caused me to happily persevere and know I was going to get it fixed eventually.

It was trust, and the agonizing fun of finally getting there and winning .

So, pardone moi, but I never give up. Never freaking ever. I don't/won't/ain't never gonna give up for anything.

So it is, that I do the same on the Browns. Mower sucks, taken apart, problems/aggravation,almost broke my hand

a few times, and had cursies? yep.

But I don't give up, I might bitch just a tad, but I work it out, figure it out, and I will win eventually.

The Browns are exactly like that. We hang in there, and the Browns will build it right eventually,

and we will WIN !

What frreaking sense does it make to whine, complain, cry, moan, lament and criticize everthing that moves,

when your lawnmower needs fixed?

Just get positive attitude going, laugh it off, and keep workin at it. Never....NEVER give up.

There ain't no freaking "delusion" confusion, here. Just whinsies.

Free country - but giving up doesn't get the mower fixed.

dammit. (LOL)

I said you were right about the negativity....

But Mud's got you in the corner on all the stuff about character. Just admit you were wrong about that.

Point of Parliamentary Procedure............... I am not saying we don't take guys WE think can light it up.......... I am saying we don't take the guys EVERYONE ELSE think can light it up. Jim Brown called Trent Richardson very average....before the guy ever signed his contract. Nobody in the NFL thought Manziel wa going to light it up. Had the Browns not taken him, he would have fallen far into the second or even third round. Same thing with Brady Quinn. Nobody wanted him. The Browns continue to take the second and third teir guys..........using ass fuck fans, like FLugel who will spew out all kinds of meaningless statistics to maintain that we DO take top prospect.

As another poster posted to this response of yours....to paraphrase, it doesn't make a difference if Wentz, Trubisky, or Lynch pan put.........that isn't the lesson.................... the point is...............these kinds of guys are desirable and get snapped up when teams like the Browns pass and leave the path open. The Trubisky pass will haunt this franchise for many years to come.

SI today rated team QBs and the Browns are at 27. The author said Kizer Shone is not very talented. He went way, way too high............but now, fans will pimp him into something he simply will never become. We draft shit, and because he is black, god forbid someone like me calls him a piece of shit draft pick. But he is. Coleman too.

Regarding Bosa versus Garrett? LMAO, this is comparing caviar to fish shit. Nobody EVER shut Bosa down in college. Alabama's LT made Garrett look like Courtney Brown. Bosa is intelligent and can bull rush. Garrett is too lanky and one dimensional. And again, if an edge rusher was on the radar, passing on an Ohio boy for a fucking goober Cowboy wannabe?

The Browns are cheap. They don't ant to pay for playmakers. They believe that Depudfucker

is going to get us HOF diamonds in the ruff for bargain prices. We shy away from the best players and we continue to draft busts.

But Mud's got you in the corner on all the stuff about character. Just admit you were wrong about that. Warply

Actually, you're wrong. Because he brought up Coleman? It isn't all or nothing - it's tough enough to draft

guys who step in and work out without adding laziness, dope use in the past (like gordon, jm's drinking...) and

ignore red flags, including guys who don't love the game. Coleman isn't arrested for the actions of his brother...

come on. Crap happens. Coleman never had a broken bone in college... gets a fracture in the NFL.

For instance:

http://brownswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/26/browns-wr-coach-al-saunders-still-upbeat-on-corey-coleman/

And questioning what I said about fixing the Browns' offensive line. Seriously? According to pro football focus...

the Browns now have the #2 offensive line in football.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/06/browns_offensive_line_is_one_o.html

that's pretty freaking FIXED to me...the same place had the Browns' offensive line as 21st last year.....

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-offensive-line-ranked-21st-234125526.html

Even the wr group, which is obviously a question... may very well surprise, I don't know...

but all the the wailing and bashing about Louis is misplaced maybe:

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-see-improvement-2016-fourth-065351189.html

I've HOPED and looked forward to improvement... before. Like, most years. But this year,

after the past two drafts etc.... I see a dramatic turnaround in the talent level, the coaching (especially

adding Williams to the defense - he's wildly popular with the players), the FO...

I just refuse to attribute the past miserable years to the current Browns coaches and fo and players. No delusion,

but watching the whole picture develop...I'm pretty excited to look forward to this season.

Archived